The Problem With Clarkson's Contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

The Problem With Clarkson's Contract

A interesting article from The Globe and Mail.  It uses stats and graphs to show why Clarkson's signing, particularly with him being a 29 year old power forward may prove to be a poor decision by the Leafs. 

It compares the optimum years of power forwards in relation to other forwards and as I read I thought of Lucic in that he fits into the peak years of performance for power forwards as presented in this information. 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/leafs-beat/the-problem-with-david-clarksons-new-contract/article13067766/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: The Problem With Clarkson's Contract

The more I look at it, the more putrid it is.  The worst part is the comment from Nonis.

“I’m not worried about six or seven right now,” Nonis said of the term of the deal. “I’m worried about one. And Year 1, I know we’re going to have a very good player. I believe that he’s got a lot of good years left in him.”

And of course the Leafs just extended this guy for five years.  Thank God they're in the Adams/Northeast/Atlantic division!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I love clarkson.  No way he is more value then any of our top 6.   Clarkson is a perfect 3 rd line guy and will play his heart out.   For the money involved id take chris neil in a heart beat.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

The GM's must feel certain the cap is going way up after this year before it stabilizes somewhat.  We can pick virtually any contract signed this summer...by virtually any player under 28 and it seems high.  Wheelers new deal as reported by KPD, is another head scratcher.

It's amazing to me that these owners scream poverty every chance they get, then turn around and make fools of themselves with their obsessive/compulsive spending.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

The GM's must feel certain the cap is going way up after this year before it stabilizes somewhat.  We can pick virtually any contract signed this summer...by virtually any player under 28 and it seems high.  Wheelers new deal as reported by KPD, is another head scratcher.

It's amazing to me that these owners scream poverty every chance they get, then turn around and make fools of themselves with their obsessive/compulsive spending.

Bingo.  They likely will lock them out again soon enough.   Tbay for example.  Buys out vinny.  Then signs fippula for large cash.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Bingo.  They likely will lock them out again soon enough.   Tbay for example.  Buys out vinny.  Then signs fippula for large cash.  

at least it can't be for another 7 years. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

at least it can't be for another 7 years. 

Vinny is still getting paid by tbay.  Also by philly.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Vinny vs. Val

I can understand why Tampa did what they did.  33 year old Vinny on top, 29 year old Val on the bottom:

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Vinny vs. Val

I can understand why Tampa did what they did.  33 year old Vinny on top, 29 year old Val on the bottom:

Combined with vinny buyout and adding Val what are they paying.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Bingo.  They likely will lock them out again soon enough.   Tbay for example.  Buys out vinny.  Then signs fippula for large cash.  

Even though his breakout season was one full year BEFORE his contract with Detroit ended.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

The more I look at it, the more putrid it is.  The worst part is the comment from Nonis.

“I’m not worried about six or seven right now,” Nonis said of the term of the deal. “I’m worried about one. And Year 1, I know we’re going to have a very good player. I believe that he’s got a lot of good years left in him.”

And of course the Leafs just extended this guy for five years.  Thank God they're in the Adams/Northeast/Atlantic division!

I had to read that statement a couple of times, NAS.  I can't see Chiarelli saying something similar about Rask:  "I'm not concerned about the last 7 years of his $56-million deal.  Just the first year."  What?!! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Vinny is still getting paid by tbay.  Also by philly.  

A nice double-dip right there. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

To that point:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/07/25/maple-leafs-gm-dave-nonis-has-yet-to-prove-himself-despite-early-extension/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I had to read that statement a couple of times, NAS.  I can't see Chiarelli saying something similar about Rask:  "I'm not concerned about the last 7 years of his $56-million deal.  Just the first year."  What?!! 

It really is amazing that he said it.  He might as well have said, "Listen, you really don't think I'll be here in seven years, right?  As if I care what happens then."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The Vinny buyout companied by the Val signing makes no sense. Not only are they still playing him, they are paying him to play against them. You have to think he'll have a little extra jump in those games as well....I dont get it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Tampa Bay is not paying Vinnie, the money for compliance buy outs comes out of the Players share of HRR.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

The Vinny buyout companied by the Val signing makes no sense. Not only are they still playing him, they are paying him to play against them. You have to think he'll have a little extra jump in those games as well....I dont get it.

I don't see any reason for Lecavalier to be anything but thankful to Tampa.  They gave him a great place to play for the majority of his career and paid him a ton of dough.  And then they hooked him up with the buyout.

Before the buyout:  Had to play seven more years to make $45M.

After the buyout:  Will play five more years and make $55.17M.

That's a gift.

I don't think the above statement about the HRR is correct.  It is correct, however, that the 2/3 of the compliance buyout will be paid over the next 14 years.  The deal totally makes sense for Tampa to get out of that miserable contract.

Filuppa's deal is a drop in the bucket compared to it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Orrthebest's comment:

Tampa Bay is not paying Vinnie, the money for compliance buy outs comes out of the Players share of HRR.

Orr, where did you get this info? Because what NAS said up above about the 55 million Darren Dreger said the same thing on NHL Network the day he signed with Philly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The confusion of HRR is that the buyout amounts still count against the calculation of the players' share.  It's still Tampa that has to pay him.

Are you not entertained?!?!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

The confusion of HRR is that the buyout amounts still count against the calculation of the players' share.  It's still Tampa that has to pay him.

For all of the lies, the fanboy antics, the deceit, the baiting, the trolling and the overall worthless commentary on every single topic here, I knew there must be a reason we keep you around.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

For all of the lies, the fanboy antics, the deceit, the baiting, the trolling and the overall worthless commentary on every single topic here, I knew there must be a reason we keep you around.

Bravo.  That may have been his shortest post.  At least i finished reading it.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It's a great analysis of why the contract sucks.  Players almost always delcine in scoring after 30, or at least don't improve.  Many remain very valuable and some get better in terms of all-around game.  But Clarkson was paid for what he was, not what he will be, making it a terrrible move.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

It's a great analysis of why the contract sucks.  Players almost always delcine in scoring after 30, or at least don't improve.  Many remain very valuable and some get better in terms of all-around game.  But Clarkson was paid for what he was, not what he will be, making it a terrrible move.

Well said, OC.  I've always admired Clarkson's effort, physicality and willingness in his play.  He seems to go flat-out on each shift.  This is quite the contract for someone whose never achieved 47 points in an NHL season.  He brings other intangibles but it makes me wonder if the Leafs believe they've signed the 30 goal player or the guy whose previous high in goals was 17 along with 32 points. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Well said, OC.  I've always admired Clarkson's effort, physicality and willingness in his play.  He seems to go flat-out on each shift.  This is quite the contract for someone whose never achieved 47 points in an NHL season.  He brings other intangibles but it makes me wonder if the Leafs believe they've signed the 30 goal player or the guy whose previous high in goals was 17 along with 32 points. 

I still really can't believe it.  Such an incredibly amazing deal.  I honestly go out of my way not to watch Devils hockey.  Therefore, before he scored 30, he was just another nameless, faceless Devils player.

Suddenly he's got this contract?  How stupid.

Sections
Shortcuts