The Realistic Move

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: The Realistic Move

Yeah, Bergeron is always the Bruins top match-up center already. The Bruins don't use a 'checking' third line. What is being suggested is beefing up the third line. Replace Seguin with say... Caron... and have Seguin lead another line. Tyler with Peverley and Purcell could be explosive. Bergeron would still have Marchand riding shotgun as he had the last couple years. He would also play a ton, as he always does. You would see all three of the centers used together on the powerplay, and both DK and PB would penalty kill. But wow, teams would have fits with matchups. PB would play against other teams' top lines... but who would they use their best D against? Krejci or Seguin. One of them is going to be free wheeling.

In Response to Re: The Realistic Move:
    In Response to Re: The Realistic Move : Please don't suggest putting Bergeron back as a 3rd line center....he led the team in ice time this  year and deserved every second of it
    Posted by Chappy28

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

In Response to Re: The Realistic Move : Please don't suggest putting Bergeron back as a 3rd line center....he led the team in ice time this  year and deserved every second of it
    Posted by Chappy28

and he could do it again as the third line center. this team roles lines

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yeah, Bergeron is always the Bruins top match-up center already. The Bruins don't use a 'checking' third line. What is being suggested is beefing up the third line. Replace Seguin with say... Caron... and have Seguin lead another line. Tyler with Peverley and Purcell could be explosive. Bergeron would still have Marchand riding shotgun as he had the last couple years. He would also play a ton, as he always does. You would see all three of the centers used together on the powerplay, and both DK and PB would penalty kill. But wow, teams would have fits with matchups. PB would play against other teams' top lines... but who would they use their best D against? Krejci or Seguin. One of them is going to be free wheeling. In Response to Re: The Realistic Move :
    Posted by OatesCam

If Caron stays  consistent in both zones in 2012-13 then yes he would be a good fit on the third line. This would be ideal. Then, all the B's would need up front are two 4rth liners. It would also be very cap friendly as well. 4rth liners are much easier and cheaper to come by via free agency.

Having three consistent scoring lines is perfect for a puck possession game (think Detroit over the last 15 years) and, conversely, allows for solid team defence. It is hard for an opposing team to get many quality scoring chances if the Bruins have the puck most of the night. And, as you said, it would definitely wear down the opposing D.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I'm beginning to think that this is my dream scenario. They would need to sign a 4th line center who is strong on faceoffs and is a lefty, as all three other Centers are righties, and so is Peverley. Gaustad or even Campbell might fit the bill. I would sign Zanon if he was cheep enough, or someone similar. Good to go. Keep the rest of the cap space and prospects for a potential deadline deal (Iginla?), and to sign Seguin, Marchand and Lucic to long-term deals. I think Seguin might be the team's highest paid player soon, if he breaks out as a 20year old.

In Response to Re: The Realistic Move : If Caron stays  consistent in both zones in 2012-13 then yes he would be a good fit on the third line. This would be ideal. Then, all the B's would need up front are two 4rth liners. It would also be very cap friendly as well. 4rth liners are much easier and cheaper to come by via free agency. Having three consistent scoring lines is perfect for a puck possession game (think Detroit over the last 15 years) and, conversely, allows for solid team defence. It is hard for an opposing team to get many quality scoring chances if the Bruins have the puck most of the night. And, as you said, it would definitely wear down the opposing D.
    Posted by jmwalters

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Gaustad is a little pricey but good to consider, especially since he is talented enough to temporarily fill in on the other three lines if there is an injury. Could be worth the $2.3 million he is currently getting. He is also a pretty big guy which I think is what PC is looking at for the bottom 3 at the moment. If Zanon were to accept a substantial pay cut (he is not worth $2.1 million) then I can see keeping him around. If not, there are a few worth looking at. One more 4rth liner (not too concerned who as long as they are not pricey) and the team is good to go.

Thread Completed! lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Parise looking pretty healthy watching him on the NJD PP and scoring more huge goals for his team.  Certainly the type of skilled guy you pay up for, as we will find out with Detroit as the front runner for him by many accounts right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

So far he has had a less successful round 2 against the Flyers than David Krejci did last year. DK makes 5.5mil per season. If Parise will take 5.5mil, I say sign him now! Don't even wait for free agency!!

Parise looking pretty healthy watching him on the NJD PP and scoring more huge goals for his team.  Certainly the type of skilled guy you pay up for, as we will find out with Detroit as the front runner for him by many accounts right now.
    Posted by bigbadbruinsfan

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

So far he has had a less successful round 2 against the Flyers than David Krejci did last year. DK makes 5.5mil per season. If Parise will take 5.5mil, I say sign him now! Don't even wait for free agency!! In Response to Re: The Realistic Move :
    Posted by OatesCam

How was DK this year?  Why does it have to be Parise vs other bruins forwards by the way?  We want to add him to our group!  We have more than enough cap space if TT is gone especially.  The Red Wings owner said he sees the cap going to $70M next year after cba is all said and done etc (which obviously increases everyone's ability to sign ufa's equally).  I'm not into signing more guys like Pouliot, Corvo, Zannon, Rolston, etc etc.  Add up their cap hits and you could sign Parise and Suter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Parise is a gamer and he would help the PP.  I would entertain 7 million on a short contract (knee injuries come back to haunt players who are near 30).  I am not so sure Horton is going to be back healthy!  

The conservative Cap thinkers can look at some other teams like Chicago or New Jersey and say "danger, PC, danger".  Yet Philadelphia has managed the cap while changing players.  Shockingly they are in the second round once again after making several trades last year.  So, Horton out, then think larger changes on the first and second lines. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Parise is not coming and we should all just accept it. Management is fine with the team they have and will probably not offer Parise near enough what he will eventually get. When has PC taken a chance on a big name FA? Never of course and it won't happen this year under his watch either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Parise is not coming and we should all just accept it. Management is fine with the team they have and will probably not offer Parise near enough what he will eventually get. When has PC taken a chance on a big name FA? Never of course and it won't happen this year under his watch either.
    Posted by jmwalters

It's too bad that this is the case, when PC first came here, it was Chara and Savard splashes that turned around this franchise. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

You can't shed those guys. You need to fill roster spots, and those guys make close to the NHL minimum. To sign Parise, you would have to move someone. The guys were have are close to as good, some better, and all are younger and cheaper. If Horton is done then you might want to look at a high-end scorer, but let's hope he's not. As you have said, it's not out of the question that Seguin puts up 90+ points this year. If that's the case, you will have Chara, Parise, Seguin all making huge cash. You can't continue to have guys like Beregeron, Seguin and Marchand around if you are paying that much. There are simply other teams that need a top-6 forward much more than the deep Boston Bruins. Let it go. Release...

In Response to Re: The Realistic Move : How was DK this year?  Why does it have to be Parise vs other bruins forwards by the way?  We want to add him to our group!  We have more than enough cap space if TT is gone especially.  The Red Wings owner said he sees the cap going to $70M next year after cba is all said and done etc (which obviously increases everyone's ability to sign ufa's equally).  I'm not into signing more guys like Pouliot, Corvo, Zannon, Rolston, etc etc.  Add up their cap hits and you could sign Parise and Suter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The franchise was in a different position then. It needed to be turned around. It had a vacant roster having just traded away the franchise. The team is in a much different situation now. It won a cup and narrowly lost this year. It needs a tweak, not an overhaul.

In Response to Re: The Realistic Move : It's too bad that this is the case, when PC first came here, it was Chara and Savard splashes that turned around this franchise. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: The Realistic Move : It's too bad that this is the case, when PC first came here, it was Chara and Savard splashes that turned around this franchise. 

You are right but the circumstances were different back then. The B's came off another horrible season, the Garden was not close to selling out and  franchise player JT was traded for three plugs. When the trade happened one of O'Connell's selling points to a stunned fan base was that the move freed up cap space they could use to sign some free agents in the offseason. Then, when the offseason began Little Charlie Jacobs stated in an interview that Dmen were best to sign for big money because they play more and, thus, are a better bang for the buck (true story). I little while later both Chara and Savard were signed.

This year, the team's core is in great shape and the franchise is in a healthy state. Plus, there are going to be more than a few RFA's and UFA's at the end of 2013 so PC will probably be cautious this year (again).

By the way, I am fully aware it was interim GM Jeff Gorton who signed Chara and Savard but I think PC probably had some input on the signings.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The franchise was in a different position then. It needed to be turned around. It had a vacant roster having just traded away the franchise. The team is in a much different situation now. It won a cup and narrowly lost this year. It needs a tweak, not an overhaul. In Response to Re: The Realistic Move :
    Posted by OatesCam

looks like you beat me to it.....lol. Much more succinctly too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

You can't shed those guys. You need to fill roster spots, and those guys make close to the NHL minimum. To sign Parise, you would have to move someone. The guys were have are close to as good, some better, and all are younger and cheaper. If Horton is done then you might want to look at a high-end scorer, but let's hope he's not. As you have said, it's not out of the question that Seguin puts up 90+ points this year. If that's the case, you will have Chara, Parise, Seguin all making huge cash. You can't continue to have guys like Beregeron, Seguin and Marchand around if you are paying that much. There are simply other teams that need a top-6 forward much more than the deep Boston Bruins. Let it go. Release... In Response to Re: The Realistic Move :
    Posted by OatesCam

We just disagree, I think they could make a 7M parise contract work within the cap if they were to move thomas now and still resign the guys they have up next year (how much of a raise will lucic and horton get?  Seguin will probably get an extra 3 over his current cap hit).  I think filling in bottom 6 forwards with guys like caron and other young guys or million dollar players is enough if you have a top 9 like we would have including parise.  I think Parise gets that 7M because he's worth more than almost all of our forwards, you don't believe so, that's fine.  As constituted, we have zero forwards better than Parise, maybe could argue bergeron as an all around guy, but parise isn't a one zone player himself.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

haha, perhaps the details were valuable.

In Response to Re: The Realistic Move : looks like you beat me to it.....lol. Much more succinctly too.
    Posted by jmwalters

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

haha, perhaps the details were valuable. In Response to Re: The Realistic Move :
    Posted by OatesCam

Not likely.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Do the math, then get back to me.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=5

In Response to Re: The Realistic Move : We just disagree, I think they could make a 7M parise contract work within the cap if they were to move thomas now and still resign the guys they have up next year (how much of a raise will lucic and horton get?  Seguin will probably get an extra 3 over his current cap hit).  I think filling in bottom 6 forwards with guys like caron and other young guys or million dollar players is enough if you have a top 9 like we would have including parise.  I think Parise gets that 7M because he's worth more than almost all of our forwards, you don't believe so, that's fine.  As constituted, we have zero forwards better than Parise, maybe could argue bergeron as an all around guy, but parise isn't a one zone player himself.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Oates do you know what the cap limit will be in 2013-14? My point is the numbers for the next two years are daunting, but the cap does go up!  Rumors of the cap number going down next year may be true, more than likely to remain the same. Yet, it is safe to say if Horton is out, the rookies are not going to fill the gap. So logically with Savard and Horton LTIRed the numbers are not so daunting.  Parise is not wishful thinking, learning to manage close to the cap ceiling is not a risk when you have a nucleus of a Stanley Cup winner.  Think Philly not Chicago.  

Standing pat is not always the best! Conversely, I am sure you are conservatively correct and PC will remain the course nonetheless.  The PC generation of youth will be the key in the next couple years, let us hope that is the correct course.    

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Ya, they will have quite a bit of money to throw around. How scary would it be if they landed Suter AND Parise?

Parise strikes me as the type of guy that would take less money to go to a team that has a chance of winning a cup, but there will be a ton of quality teams going after him. Detroit, I think, definitely will, as will NJ, and it wouldn't shock me if Boston, NYR or even St. Louis joined the bidding. It will probably take something around a 12 Year/$80 Million deal (front loaded, of course) to land him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Oates do you know what the cap limit will be in 2013-14? My point is the numbers for the next two years are daunting, but the cap does go up!  Rumors of the cap number going down next year may be true, more than likely to remain the same. Yet, it is safe to say if Horton is out, the rookies are not going to fill the gap. So logically with Savard and Horton LTIRed the numbers are not so daunting.  Parise is not wishful thinking, learning to manage close to the cap ceiling is not a risk when you have a nucleus of a Stanley Cup winner.  Think Philly not Chicago.   Standing pat is not always the best! Conversely, I am sure you are conservatively correct and PC will remain the course nonetheless.  The PC generation of youth will be the key in the next couple years, let us hope that is the correct course.    
    Posted by islamorada

Exactly.  Managing the cap well doesn't mean staying under by 10M a year and signing Corvo, and Pouliot then using your excess 9M on rolston, zannon, and motteau.  It's doing what philly and detroit do, objectively observing their roster and keeping core elements while letting the expensive non producers go and getting value for them.  Every few years they have money to bring in great talent. 

Sections
Shortcuts