The Realistic Move

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: The Realistic Move

I don't know alot about David Jones, but I have to say he intrigues me. His G/game is solid, only plays about 15 minutes and he's a big guy that PC wants. I think I saw a clip of him and he had some sandpaper in his game. That could be a nice fit. The question becomes is he more valuable than Kelly?

In Response to Re: The Realistic Move:
    [QUOTE]While every is fighting over Parise, PC will sign David Jones from the Avalanche to a reasonable deal around 3 million per year.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know alot about David Jones, but I have to say he intrigues me. His G/game is solid, only plays about 15 minutes and he's a big guy that PC wants. I think I saw a clip of him and he had some sandpaper in his game. That could be a nice fit. The question becomes is he more valuable than Kelly? In Response to Re: The Realistic Move :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

If the B's decide to put Seguin in his natural position and leave Krecji and Bergeron at center then yes it does make sense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know alot about David Jones, but I have to say he intrigues me. His G/game is solid, only plays about 15 minutes and he's a big guy that PC wants. I think I saw a clip of him and he had some sandpaper in his game. That could be a nice fit. The question becomes is he more valuable than Kelly? In Response to Re: The Realistic Move :

I'd take Kelly any day over Jones.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Oh I think Thomas being traded is quite realistic, I just said there is already lots of talk of that so I wasn't bringing it up. My gut tells me it's about 50:50... I think if you start talking about a 10th overall pick in the mix, it could very well happen. In Response to Re: The Realistic Move :

I know Oates, I just can't look at the potential moves without coming back to that possibility.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I've watched Jones a lot over the past couple of seasons and I would say that he's very Michael Ryder-ish, except he had a much, much, worse season last year.  He was demoted to the 4th line at points and was even scratched a few times, I think.

Jones has good hands and can really shoot the puck, but he needs someone to set him up.  He can't carry the puck well or create a lot of his own opportunities.  His higher point totals came from being paired with Duchene/Stastny and playing top line minutes, something that would never happen in Boston.  When he's not scoring, he doesn't do much else -- many people ran Ryder out of town for essentially the same skill set.

So he might be a decent 3rd line player, but I wouldn't get too excited. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Does he hit? He's a big guy, but that means nothing to me if he's not a physical presence. Do you think playing with a puck carrier like Peverley and grinder with skill like Caron would make a good line? Would it be better than Caron-Kelly-Peverley?

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Realistic Move : I've watched Jones a lot over the past couple of seasons and I would say that he's very Michael Ryder-ish, except he had a much, much, worse season last year.  He was demoted to the 4th line at points and was even scratched a few times, I think. Jones has good hands and can really shoot the puck, but he needs someone to set him up.  He can't carry the puck well or create a lot of his own opportunities.  His higher point totals came from being paired with Duchene/Stastny and playing top line minutes, something that would never happen in Boston.  When he's not scoring, he doesn't do much else -- many people ran Ryder out of town for essentially the same skill set. So he might be a decent 3rd line player, but I wouldn't get too excited. 
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Trade Krejci for Nash. Even up. Win the Cup. Yes! 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

You and all yer fantasy trades, enough already.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I was thinking, wasn't NAS in a hiatus status a couple weeks up to the trade deadline.  The top quote makes me think he was reading.  Do you have a can of Duncan Hines frosting under your bed NAS, stop cheating!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Does he hit? He's a big guy, but that means nothing to me if he's not a physical presence. Do you think playing with a puck carrier like Peverley and grinder with skill like Caron would make a good line? Would it be better than Caron-Kelly-Peverley? In Response to Re: The Realistic Move :

No, not really.  He definitely doesn't play a power-forward kind of game.  His size is useful because he positions himself well in the slot and in front of the net and can't be easily moved, but he doesn't throw a lot of hits.  Again, I think he's a lot like Ryder.  He's crafty, has a quick release, and can certainly score, but he's just not that well-rounded and always seems to be streaky.  I'm not sure he's a real good fit for the Claude Julien system either.  But, like Ryder, I could see him coming up with key goals in key games as he'd be under the radar on the 3rd line, and then he busts out his top-line scoring touch every now and then.

I think he would be a significant defensive downgrade from Kelly though.  Peverly and Caron would have to play very strong two-way games for that line to work, I think.

Who knows though.  He's young and I don't think he's ever played in a Julien-like system, so maybe he could learn and improve his game with that structure.  He's a Dartmouth guy, so he should be bright...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Realistic Move : No, not really.  He definitely doesn't play a power-forward kind of game.  His size is useful because he positions himself well in the slot and in front of the net and can't be easily moved, but he doesn't throw a lot of hits.  Again, I think he's a lot like Ryder.  He's crafty, has a quick release, and can certainly score, but he's just not that well-rounded and always seems to be streaky.  I'm not sure he's a real good fit for the Claude Julien system either.  But, like Ryder, I could see him coming up with key goals in key games as he'd be under the radar on the 3rd line, and then he busts out his top-line scoring touch every now and then. I think he would be a significant defensive downgrade from Kelly though.  Peverly and Caron would have to play very strong two-way games for that line to work, I think. Who knows though.  He's young and I don't think he's ever played in a Julien-like system, so maybe he could learn and improve his game with that structure.  He's a Dartmouth guy, so he should be bright...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

They already have a Pouliot at a nifty price if they want.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

[QUOTE]There already plenty of fantasy discussions on this board about what the Bruins could do in a magical world, so that's the place for those thoughts. I've thrown comments on those threads, but I would rather some more serious talk. Realistically, PC has said he intends, at least for now, to keep Thomas and Rask. He said he wants to keep his core. He said there is a good chance Hamilton makes the team. So in the most likely real world scenario, the Bruins are looking to tweak their 3rd and 4th lines and 6-7th D. There are lots of smart hockey people on this board, I'm looking for their thoughts on what the Bruins could do. In Response to Re: The Realistic Move :

I understand the difference...

But aside from literally asking PC what he is going to do this offseason, nothing is unrealistic...

That is exactly why these posts are started; because it is fun to think about possible options....

And for you to be so dismissive to say that PC isn't even looking at Parise? Or that it's not a "smart hockey" opinion is ridiculous...

Did anybody think the Wings would sign the top free agent, Marian Hossa, to a one-year deal after winning the cup? Heck no.

As I said before, it might not be the first move PC makes on day one of free agency, but it is definitely a possiblity...

That's all I'm saying...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

And obviously I'm not an insane Bruins colored glasses fan...

I understand the most realistic moves will be bringing up Dougie and trying to re-sign Kelly and the 4th line...

But this team just lost in the first round to a 7 seed that outplayed them...

So forgive me for thinking bigger than re-signing 4th liners...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]And obviously I'm not an insane Bruins colored glasses fan... I understand the most realistic moves will be bringing up Dougie and trying to re-sign Kelly and the 4th line... But this team just lost in the first round to a 7 seed that outplayed them... So forgive me for thinking bigger than re-signing 4th liners...
    Posted by mannyortez3424[/QUOTE]

This whole seeding thing is a bunch of bologna. Any team (almost) can beat any other team on any given day. The Caps were favorites for the cup before the season. They under performed like crazy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crankeeyankee3. Show crankeeyankee3's posts

I wouldn't bring back Zanon.  Seemed like he was on the ice for almost every goal scored against the Bruins in the Capitals series...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

With that logic we should get rid of Seidenberg because he had so many pucks bounce in off his body. It was like a point generating machine for opposing teams... /sarcasm.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I understand you want to daydream about signing the biggest potential free agent in the league, and yes, a major overhaul is indeed possible. And there are plenty of discussion threads on those highly unlikely scenarios. You also state that you understand that smaller moves are more realistic so I don't know what the problem is. I'm tired of bashing the practicality of using what amounts to taking 5 million in cap space and signing one 8 million forward with it and leaving 4 roster spots empty. I don't feel like talking about the subsequent necessary trade of a member of the most productive top-6 forwards in the league that doesn't contain Sydney Corsby. So for those discussions, look for a thread titled "Parise" or "Nash" or the like and fantasize to your heart's content. On this thread I get to hear some smart thoughts on players I haven't thought about, like David Jones, or the idea of using Krejci-Seguin-Bergeron as centers and signing Knuble. I would like to see the Bruins get a slightly stronger third line, and I like hearing peoples' ideas as to how that can be done.

[QUOTE]And obviously I'm not an insane Bruins colored glasses fan... I understand the most realistic moves will be bringing up Dougie and trying to re-sign Kelly and the 4th line... But this team just lost in the first round to a 7 seed that outplayed them... So forgive me for thinking bigger than re-signing 4th liners...
    Posted by mannyortez3424[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Oates, I don't think Parise will get 8 million. Nash is god willing, not going to be talked about anymore. His contract is downright obscene.

Parise hasn't produced like he did prior to his injury. So unless he regains his previous form, any more than the $6 he made this year would be a stretch.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Oates, I don't think Parise will get 8 million. Nash is god willing, not going to be talked about anymore. His contract is downright obscene. Parise hasn't produced like he did prior to his injury. So unless he regains his previous form, any more than the $6 he made this year would be a stretch.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]
    He'll get closer to 8 than 6 unless he signs another one of those absurdly long deals..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I don't think he's worth 8 right now. If he hadn't gotten hurt I'd probably agree. But like I said, right now, I think that's an awful lot to pay him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Its not always what the player is worth but more what a team is ready to pay him. He is a perennial 30 goal guy, just entering his prime, and (except for last year) is pretty durable for a small guy. Rest assured some crazy GM will offer a gold bullion and he will take it, who wouldn't?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Lucic is nearly a perenial 30 goal guy. But much more intimidating and has much more grit. He's worth 8 mill?

Marchand almost got to 30. And has kept improving. Is he going to be worth 8 mill?

I just don't understand how he as a winger can get an 8 mill offer with his recent stats. When he hit 94 points a few years ago? Absolutely. But he didn't break 70 points this season. And he came off a major knee injury. I like him, but not at 8 mill.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Remember Bobby Holik's $8.5 million per year contract or the infamous Gomez heist? What about Ehrhoff making $10 million this year or Myers set to make $12 million next year? Happens all the time. There is always some crazy GM willing to overpay. Parise may not get $8 million but anything above $6 million would not surprise me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Yea I suppose there could be some dipstick with too much money that might throw that at Parise. Just don't think he's worth that kind of money.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Parise, Nash, Iginla etc...not coming here. I think the only major move could be the trade of Thomas. Other than that, I see some tweaking on the 3rd and 4th lines.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

GM philosophy: all players are available, afterall it is a business not fandom that dictates team financial settings.  As for hockey, the Bs are better off to wait an play out the game; a new CBA, high priced free agents, overpriced inheritance of salary in trades are for the fantasy gamblers on this board.  Contariarly did Campbell look good in Florida this year, heh?  Parise looks good but his knees were knocking a few years ago.  Nash is jumbo if it means dismantling the team, then logically the Bs management teams tweakes the third and fourth lines, and defensive corps.  Believe me I would love to see Parise in a Bs unifiorm, and Suter on the defense, but think Thomas for future draft promises as the extreme only.  "Wilco: Wishful Thinking!"

Sections
Shortcuts