The Solution to Boring Hockey:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

The Solution to Boring Hockey:

I just read an article on THN where Gainey suggests making a full body shot block, where both skates leave the ice a delay of game penalty. While I think this would be effective, it almost seems unfair, taking a hockey play out of hockey, if that makes any sense. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Re: The Solution to Boring Hockey:

I would take it even further. If both skate blades aren't on the ice - delays of game.

Blocked shots the old-fashioned way allowed. Stand-up with stick at feet.

Leave your feet and throwing oneself at a shot - penalty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KCMDux88. Show KCMDux88's posts

I agree, sacrificing the body for the good of the team is one of the many reasons why hockey is so great.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to The Solution to Boring Hockey::
    I just read an article on THN where Gainey suggests making a full body shot block, where both skates leave the ice a delay of game penalty. While I think this would be effective, it almost seems unfair, taking a hockey play out of hockey, if that makes any sense. Thoughts?
    Posted by MDsizzle

Yes, it happens, but I don't believe it happens often enough to make a difference.

I think it would be a really dicey call when the puck is in and around the crease and bodies are everywhere - was he knocked down or was he blocking a shot?

In general I think if you want to get the game more exciting, create rules to expand play, not to limit it and ideally get the officials LESS involved, not MORE involved.  

Example - (and NOT one that I've seriously thought about or advocate, but just an EXAMPLE)
    Take out offsides entirely, 1 less call the refs have to make and boy would that ever open up the game.  Probably just have a guy down the other end and try to ice the puck so he could pick it up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

watch baseball. then realize hockey aint so bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Why don't we just add 10 feet to width of the ice.

That would force players to stay of their feet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I would like nothing more for hockey than to make more room behind the net and width to the ice. This is why enjoy watching IIHF hockey speed and skill is show cased.

Well I would like to see the ice girls skating naked much, much more than bigger skating surface but that isn't going to happen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

as long as anything goes.... if 10 minutes pass without a goal, 4v4 for two minutes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Don't like this idea at all. It's a solid gutsy hockey play, I don't find it boring at all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I'd prefer any changes made be to make things simpler, not more complicated.  Far better to try and find an unnecessary rule and eliminate it, in my mind.  No, I've got no suggestions.

Are guys laying-out to block a shot really that big of a hindrance to scoring?  It seems such a massive mobility disadvantage, that any skating/stick-handling should make it far less effective.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

He's been lobbying this for 4-5 years now but gets always shot down.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: The Solution to Boring Hockey::
    I would like nothing more for hockey than to make more room behindthe net and width to the ice. This is why enjoy watching IIHF hockey speed and skill is show cased. Well I would like to see the ice girls skating naked much, much more than bigger skating surface but that isn't going to happen.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Have to disagree with this idea.  In the NHL the players would spend too much time behind the net in puck battles rather than in the prime area, the front of the net. 
    The NHL tried this already and the experiment failed . NHL then diminished the room behind the nets.
    Some experts say that the bigger ice surfaces causes teams to forecheck less hence trying to trap more the neutral zone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I would like nothing more for hockey than to make more room behind the net and width to the ice. This is why enjoy watching IIHF hockey speed and skill is show cased. Well I would like to see the ice girls skating naked much, much more than bigger skating surface but that isn't going to happen.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

San - This is about as close as you're going to get for now. ;)http://bikinihockeyleague.com/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I think there are several factors at work here.

First, the players are bigger.  Compared to even 10 years ago, the number of players 6'2" or taller has increased significantly.  Bigger players means more "wingspread", longer sticks, and a greater ability to block shots and passes.

Second, today, the equipment is more like body armour than 10 -20 years ago, so there is less fear involved in blocking shots.

Both of these factors also apply to goaltenders.  Big goalies combined with bigger equipment = less net to shoot at.

I don't know what the solution is, aside from playing 4 skaters on 4 all the time, to open up the ice.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: The Solution to Boring Hockey: : San - This is about as close as you're going to get for now. ;) http://bikinihockeyleague.com/
    Posted by WalkTheLine

I don't know how I feel about this - part of me wants to be offended and part of me wants to tryout.

Noticed in the casting call, they never actually ask if you can skate or not though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

forget it being the solution to boring hockey, it's a solution for world peace. scantilly clad beautiful women do have a way of calming and quieting us animals.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

What's the poor goalie going to have to wear? I'm guessing it would be a solution to NAS's point about the oversized pads.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

What's the poor goalie going to have to wear? I'm guessing it would be a solution to NAS's point about the oversized pads.
    Posted by red75

You're assuming somebody is going to get a shot on net. lol Even if they do it's probably a tennis ball with the hardest shot being in the 10-15mph range.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: The Solution to Boring Hockey: : You're assuming somebody is going to get a shot on net. lol Even if they do it's probably a tennis ball with the hardest shot being in the 10-15mph range.
    Posted by WalkTheLine

Don't think so, sounds like they've found some actual players. The NBC article on this says Ashley Riggs is one of the tryouts. I've watched her play - some serious game. She won three golds with Team Canada in the Under 22 tourny, was a late cut for the 2006 Olympic team. She had 9 goals and 11 assists and was +19 in 23 games this year in the CWHL, the top women's league in the world. She's got some game.

Have to wonder why she's subjecting herself to this.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Don't like this idea at all. It's a solid gutsy hockey play, I don't find it boring at all.
    Posted by red75

Agreed Red. Imagine the league telling Callahan he's not allowed to block shots like that anymore. A rule change like this would only punish real gamers like him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: The Solution to Boring Hockey: : Agreed Red. Imagine the league telling Callahan he's not allowed to block shots like that anymore. A rule change like this would only punish real gamers like him.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Yeah Dez, if they bring this in Josh Gorges and Mark Stuart may as well retire right now.

And for the bikini thing, talked to wife about it. Guess she was talking to some teammates about this and they're not thrilled with Riggs. They've all played against her and she's a solid two-way forward. Probably would have suited up in Vancouver in 2010 if it wasn't for injury, and they figured she was on track to make the cut for 2014. But it doesn't sound like the women's hockey community is too thrilled with this idea (though I'll likely watch it ;) ). She was telling me that she could see this hurting Riggs shot of getting to Olympic camp at all.

Seems really weird - maybe they offered her a boatload of money because they needed at least one real player to help legitimize this thing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: The Solution to Boring Hockey: : Yeah Dez, if they bring this in Josh Gorges and Mark Stuart may as well retire right now. And for the bikini thing, talked to wife about it. Guess she was talking to some teammates about this and they're not thrilled with Riggs. They've all played against her and she's a solid two-way forward. Probably would have suited up in Vancouver in 2010 if it wasn't for injury, and they figured she was on track to make the cut for 2014. But it doesn't sound like the women's hockey community is too thrilled with this idea (though I'll likely watch it ;) ). She was telling me that she could see this hurting Riggs shot of getting to Olympic camp at all. Seems really weird - maybe they offered her a boatload of money because they needed at least one real player to help legitimize this thing.
    Posted by red75

I'm not sure how I feel about the bikini league but I will say that it should have no bearing on whether she makes the Olympics or not. If she's a good enough player and not a Sean Avery like distraction, she should make the team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I agree Dez, but there's a lot of politics in women's hockey, especially at the National level, and most of it revolves around the way the sport should best go ahead and solidify itself as a sport. There were even lots of people who were choked at Wickenheiser for going to play in that men's league instead of playing women's hockey and making those leagues better. It's very political, and that's what theywere referring too about this maybe hurting Riggs' shot.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: The Solution to Boring Hockey: : Yeah Dez, if they bring this in Josh Gorges and Mark Stuart may as well retire right now. And for the bikini thing, talked to wife about it. Guess she was talking to some teammates about this and they're not thrilled with Riggs. They've all played against her and she's a solid two-way forward. Probably would have suited up in Vancouver in 2010 if it wasn't for injury, and they figured she was on track to make the cut for 2014. But it doesn't sound like the women's hockey community is too thrilled with this idea (though I'll likely watch it ;) ). She was telling me that she could see this hurting Riggs shot of getting to Olympic camp at all. Seems really weird - maybe they offered her a boatload of money because they needed at least one real player to help legitimize this thing.
    Posted by red75

Getting Riggs will not legitimize this. This has nothing to do with hockey, it's about smoking hot women in bikinis with a gimmick. Just like lingerie football.I don't think I'll be watching.

Sections
Shortcuts