The Solution

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Re: The Solution

In Response to Re: The Solution:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Solution : And if PC did NOTHING we'd be screaming at that. So it's a catch 22 for him. We cried for that PMD & got him. We cried for more speed, more grit & improve in the center position to replace Savvy. Most of us thought he did that. I actually think this is the perfect time for the team to go thru this adversity! These are the things that brings a team closer & play better. IF they fall flat on their face & go out in round 1. It'll be another trade/not re-sign & fire summer thread all over again.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Not me. I was not clamouring for anything.

If you want good tomatoes, you gotta grow your own. Same applies with the Stanley Cup. If you don't understand that now, you will later on. Hopefully, it won't be too late.

We, unfortunately, took a step back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]Kaberle isn't the problem. I don't care if you have Bourque and Coffey working the point on the power play, when the forward line in Ryder-Kelly-Recchi, it's not very powerful. Puck moving defensemen only helps when he's moving the puck to quality players. Krejci,Horton,Lucic only ones performing right now. Marchand= invisible, fighting the puck. Bergeron = he's where Krejci was a month ago. Non factor. . Recchi= brought down that whole line.Father time has arrived. Paille= doesn't belong on the roster Thornton= we need him for next game vs MTL in case Roman Hamrlik acts up. (sarcasm) Seguin= being scratched for Daniel Paille. Not exactly how we envisioned it when he was drafted # 2 overall. If he isn't getting a chance to play because you feel Paille helps your team more, then he should be in juniors progressing his game.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

And of course, Rask was the reason for the loss to Montreal, but TT gets a complete pass as always for the last 2 games. I guess they give trophies for playing well in December.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: The Solution:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Solution : Can't disagree..the  PP units simply don't move the puck fast enough to get the opposing d running around and make mistakes. Look at Habs and Wings  for example , these teams make you pay on the PP..Why? deft passing, puck is on the stick for about a second , tick , tac, toe and its in your net... Bruins forwards are too stationary and don't move around a lot and there is no net presence..PP is too predictable..Everyone knows they are setting up Big Z for the bomb.. unfortunately he isn't that accurate a shot...Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]

Bingo and I will not blame Kaberle for the Bruins forwards ineptness he's keeping the puck in the offensive zone. Choke Uncle Fester for not putting Seguin on the half wall....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Solution : Well, I've never been on the bandwagon.  I'm a Bruins fan win or lose.  Seven in a row doesn't mean that much when you lose the following four. As I watch the team continue to fail on the powerplay and continue to fail at four-on-four, I'd like some of the PMD boys to come on and tell me how it's working out.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I apologize.  Bandwagon was the wrong term.  What I mean was, you seemed fairly excited about the new aquisitions after the trade deadline.  Now, after a few losses, not so much.

I still think the Chara incident may be having an impact on the team.  The Bruins played awful during the game in Montreal but I'm willing to forgive a couple of poor efforts after the incident.  Especially when, in the game against Buffalo, the Bruins were clearly being punished by the refs.  I didn't get a chance to watch the game tonight so I can't really comment on it.  Sounds like they played poorly though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

The solution is never going to take place with Clod here. He could have Crosby and Malkin and they would be in trouble.

With Chara and floppy making all that $$$ they are in deep Sh!!t!!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

If memory serves me correct I think someone had a defenceman who had this characteristic in his game on his wish list prior to the trade deadline along with the majority of the posters. If this was the case wouldn't he have been in the same opinion as those who wanted a PMD ? Isn't this hypocritical calling others out on this type of player when he basically wanted the same thing prior to the deadline ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]I know its easy to x and o's when it comes to PP.  I mean you look at the talent washingtonhas and their PP has been absolutely brutal  no way with that talent should it be that bad.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Good point here.  The Caps with all that talent are one of the worst.
    Why is that ?
    1- To predictable
    2- Too many players standing still
    3- Not well designed.

Sound familiar ?

The PMD was needed . Now what ?  They need to figure out why all of sudden they're not creating anything offensively , not keep the puck in the offensive zone and yes that PP !
    1st line is working,  they do all of the above except on PP
    2nd line since Marchand has slipped a little Bergeron hasn't been able to produce. Pevelry now on this line hasn't really clicked yet.  Only problem is seems like another line change is coming.
    3rd line is a mess , if this is supposed to be a defensive line then no way should Ryder be on it. Ryder has changed line mates more than I chnge my underwear in a week (for the record 7 times a week).
    4th lin ... well if Julien didn't play it as much it would be a non factor ,  since they take a regular shift playing ping pong with Seguin and Paille is useless. Paille just doesn't bring anything anymore since not used as much to kill penalties and Seguin even though he's not played well it's just not his place on a 4th line that is supposed to grind away.

What now ?  Fix the lines and stick with them. 
    The PMD they got , this speedy winger that can be both responsible and put the puck in the net they didn't .  Peverly might have been # 10 on their list they wanted . Peverly I think is the one that's having the most trouble adjusting. I'm sure he could bring more to the table and prove me wrong.
    As for the PP they know it's a problem and I'm not that worried yet. Maybe all this hard work trying to make it click will pay off in the playoffs . It did last season till Krejci got hurt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

If i was the coach ...and obviously i am not i would put Seguin with Bergy and Marchand (2 guys that can cover for his mistakes) and tell the kids not to worry about mistakes to just express his talent hoping that this line will have enough time to click before the playoffs.  We need at least 2 scoring lines.  The other 2 have to chip in as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Its pretty easy to play the one time pass to Chara.  Wanna know something.  I don't think Chara should be on the 1st unit.  Seids and Kaberle would be my 1st pairing.  Chara does not have the puck skill to be a QB.  Seids and Kaberle both have skating/vision that Chara doesnt.  It hasnt worked all year with him back there.  Throw it around, set up the one timer and he misses the net.  Makes a nice big noise.  But produces nothing.  I would have Krejci/Lucic/Horton/Kaberle/Seids as my 1st unit. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Chara's hand-eye is a big reason he's out there.  The guy is amazing at keeping the puck in the zone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

One last thing. 
    If Julien doesn't want to risk Seguin on any of the other 3 lines then why not put him on the freakin PP ???  He has a good onetimer and among rookies one of the hardest shots.  
    PP cannot get any worse . 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Chara being out there is because of his shot that everyone know's the B's are trying to pull off. He is slow and predictable. 5 on 3 is a different story as he has proved a "few" times this year. 5 on 4 I think he hurts the B's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Agreed, agreed, on some of this commentary. Kaberle is a quality player, great passing and good sensible puck management. Only concern is that  he is not physically strong enough to combat some of these big, fast, agressive forwards, along the boards and behind the net. Do not agree on negatives about McQuaid. He is still making some mistakes, but his passing, puck handling and physical play is usually quite solid. Boychuck has everthing but smarts. Bartkowski is not very good. why did he go to Prague?? Chiarelli  made a good move on the new goalie for Providence, and eventually Boston. Why can he not find  a way to acquire some of Nashville's younger defensive prospects? From my readings, Nashville is in the market for a Spooner or Arneil, or even Hamill. Once playoffs start what are the limitations on call-ups from Providence?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

FACT: The PP has suxed since Savard and Kessel left. You need elite talent to have a top PP....and remember Clod is the kind of guy that puts Axelsson and Bitz on his PP. Clod is CLUELESS! He is good at creating boring hockey and if he has the best goalie in the NHL Tim Thoms he can win some games....but he is a joke.  If Clod didn't have Thomas we would be looking at 8th in the conference at best.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

[QUOTE]One last thing.  If Julien doesn't want to risk Seguin on any of the other 3 lines then why not put him on the freakin PP ???  He has a good onetimer and among rookies one of the hardest shots.   PP cannot get any worse . 
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Seguin represents everthing claude hates.He likes  Lucic, and the old guy to stand in front screen and get his dirty goals.The only good goals are dirty goals in Claudes book.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrr7. Show paulbrr7's posts

The "big canon" will only work if you have some size in front of the net, if the goalie can see it he will stop it even if it's coming at 100 mph.  The Bruins will be fine as long as they skate and hit. They will not win any other way with this line-up. The problem is, it's hard to play that way every night, plus the Chara hit has made them a little to apprehensive. Hopefully they can play with some vivacity during the play-offs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Anyone think they got a little overconfident after the road trip? I didn't mind the loss to Pitt last weekend, but since then it's been terrible efforts starting in Montreal.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]It's simple, we werent a pmd away.  No matter how hard the homers hoped we were a guy away, it just isn't the case.  We need a real point producer, we have a very good line in krejci's crew, bergy is a very good center, and everyone else is just another guy (most of which are overpaid).  We are missing another real scoring threat to play with bergy and marchand, but that guy has to be a huge powerplay presence.  Someone who can either play the half wall like savvy and control the tempo of the pp or a hound around the net.  We need a top tier point producer, goal scorer in particular. The problem is we pay way too many guys who don't let goals in when they're on the ice, but won't score either.  Time to lose this illusion that we can roll the chris kelly and paille's to produce enough to beat playoff competitors.  Same with peverly, he doesn't do anything, and loses as many battles as seguin does, but we know why for seguin. Missing ingredient = elite level offensive skill (it's either a lack of talent, or mindset aka coaching and gm style, you be the judge).
    Posted by bigbadbruinsfan[/QUOTE]

100% correct.

Kaberle alone was never going to be the answer. The Bruins are short that point-getter on BOTH offense and defense, but you know--point that out here and you get slammed.

I liked PC's moves but I also said they weren't enuff to improve the B's to the point where they'd get to the conference funals....now it looks as if they could b a very swift 1st rd. exit.

The point on needing more than one very good PMD is underscored by how badly this team has played w/out a healthy Kampfer--the only other legitimate PMD they have. You certainly need more than ONE PMD on your team to be successful, and having more than two greatly increases the chance for success.

The loss of Ference (NOT a PMD, but an underrated presence) also has been a big blow for this team as of late, but to say getting ONE PMD at trade deadline was somehow a foolish move or is the reason the team has been playing like dog s*it is to miss the point: which is that the Bruins have been lacking elite goal-scorers/ppoint producers on both O and D for some time and will continue to struggle until they get them.

And can Julien PLEASE just freaking let Seguin play the d*mn game already??? AS if they could be ANY WORSE without him right now!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]TryToBearIt - I third that.  I was very vocal on the board on the need for a point guy like Savard.  We didn't get one.  This will come back and bite us.  People will say " look where we rank in goals scored! "  Fine.  But, how about the playoffs, as in moving forward?   Isn't that a different beast altogether.  Who is our offensive points guy?  No one expects Bergy or Krejci to stay on a point parade.  Bergeron has already come back down to earth. Defense is critical to championships, but the last 5-6 Cup winners had at least 1 90+ point guy on their team.  Our guy is Savard; he is on IR and maybe permanently.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

Ipot-Yep, I think we're on the same page here. It's no coincidence that the PP went on life support w/out Savard, and the Bruins just don't have that "go-to" superstar guy that at THE VERY LEAST makes teams overplay him to keep him from dominating the game and thus allows OTHER players to step up.

The Bruins have an excellent playmaker in Krejci but Horton and Lucic are both streaky goal-scorers who can go into maddening droughts and are not going to be the "difference makers" in big games. If we had a Stamkos or Crosby/Ovechkin type (and I'm NOT saying they grow on trees--just that we don't have one)...it would be a diff. story.

Likewise, on defense, we lack that Mike Green/Seabrook/Boyle type of guy who can really be depended upon to provide offense when needed (esp. on the PP)..Kaberle was probably the best guy available for PC given what other teams we willing to part w/and what the B's had to deal, but he's only an ELITE PMD on a team like the B's that otherwise doesn't have one--the closest thing being a rookie who's still learning the game and is now trying to get back from a concussion.

All of this is a combo of the uncontrollable (i.e. Cooke the goon ends Savard's career), and the franchise's long-term un-willingness to "go big"...i.e. get a lot of role player types (Kelly, Peverly, Recchi) and hope your goalie stands on his head.

Now, those role players I mentioned ARE certainly a part of any championship-caliber team, but you also NEED to have the stars--the snipers, the PPgame players...and we'be got Michael freaking Ryder.

I hate to bring everyone down, but this team as constituted is better than it was b4 the trade deadline, but still so painfully, obviously, not going to get past the 1st or 2nd round. They're just not.

(Which, coming full circle, is why it drives me nuts that Seguin isn't getting to play. What in the h*ll do they have to lose by letting this kid loose??? Losing 5-2 instead of 4-2 to the Islanders??? Give me a break. Julien is retarding this kid right b4 our eyes, and I KNOW he has talent.

The B's are still the ONLY NHL team this year w/out a 4 on 4 goal in regulation. And with all that open ice you;re telling me Seguin's speed isn't needed? Ridiculous.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

is this thread about pmd or pms?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

86 it's the latter the Bruins go on a skid because of injuries to the blueline and the boo bird crybabies come out to whine. The answer to these whiners is always not having the six, seven or eight million dolla a year Gaborik but when you have this high priced player then that sniper slides (see Tortarella frustration again) or gets injured you can't bring anyone else in to replace the point per game player because Glen Sather has his team too tight against the cap result the Rangers might miss the playoffs.

Same whiners same bat channel who said the Bruins wouldn't get past the 103 point Sabres last season in the playoffs but here they are again when the Bruins are down a bit. Six points out of first in the eastern Conference, three points out of 2nd in the East but look who's back to kick the dog when the the Bruins hit a skid the same fans who will come back when the Bruins improve.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]86 it's the latter the Bruins go on a skid because of injuries to the blueline and the boo bird crybabies come out to whine. The answer to these whiners is always not having the six, seven or eight million dolla a year Gaborik but when you have this high priced player then that sniper slides (see Tortarella frustration again) or gets injured you can't bring anyone else in to replace the point per game player because Glen Sather has his team too tight against the cap result the Rangers might miss the playoffs. Same whiners same bat channel who said the Bruins wouldn't get past the 103 point Sabres last season in the playoffs but here they are again when the Bruins are down a bit. Six points out of first in the eastern Conference, three points out of 2nd in the East but look who's back to kick the dog when the the Bruins hit a skid the same fans who will come back when the Bruins improve.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

we'll see who's right come playoffs, San Dog.

i've been 100% consistent in my assessment of this team this year: I'ne never said at any point (inc. the 7-game win streak) that this team is going to make it to the Conf. Finals, much less play for the Cup. If you think they are b/c they're clinging by their nails to the #3 seed and are 6 pts. behind the Flyers, hey, more power to you, brother. I hope you're right.

But there's a big diff. between people who say it's all grand when the going's good and then start b*tching when it goes rotten.... and those who've said all along: I look around and see a good Bruins team that's still lacking what it takes to go all the way, or even further than last year, but is heading in the right direction for the future; the GM made some nice moves at the deadline w/out mortgaging the Tor. draft pick (let's all hope the Leafs' charge to the playoffs does not come to pass); they have good pieces and good goaltending....but they are simply not at the level they need to be to compete w/the tuffest teams in the East. That's my view and it hasn't changed all season long, so don't lump me in w/bandwagoners or those who immediately throw in the towel based on a 4-game losing skid.

as for last year--I was as surpised as anyone when they got past Buffalo....but the name of that game was Rask...and then we all know what happened in the Flyers series. How you can believe so strongly in a team that folded like only 3 others in the history of any sport is a mystery to me...but again, I envy your faith.

Prove me wrong and I'll be a happy man. Til then, I'm getting ready for what the smart money says is a 1st or 2nd round exit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

TTBI you said for several weeks leading up to the playoffs last season the Bruins were one and one done. I'll cling to knowing the make up of Boston when healthy so that is no faith that's knowing hockey and how this team functions at all cylinders running correctly plus how different playoff games are when compared to regular season games. 

You cling to "3-0, 3-0" as the long or short memory New England sports fans always do hang their hats on blaming Pesky held the ball, Buckner and Grady Little "See I told you so" and I'll stay with what the Bruins now have a team built for the playoffs. Just like last year you'll say the Bruins got lucky with lightning in a bottle when Boston get past the first round again this year "See I told yah so".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]TTBI you said for several weeks leading up to the playoffs last season the Bruins were one and one done. I'll cling to knowing the make up of Boston when healthy so that is no faith that's knowing hockey and how this team functions at all cylinders running correctly plus how different playoff games are when compared to regular season games.  You cling to "3-0, 3-0" as the long or short memory New England sports fans always do hang their hats on blaming Pesky held the ball, Buckner and Grady Little "See I told you so" and I'll stay with what the Bruins now have a team built for the playoffs. Just like last year you'll say the Bruins got lucky with lightning in a bottle when Boston get past the first round again this year "See I told yah so".
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Getting past the 1st round would be nice. I won't say anything about lightning in a bottle if they do. If they get past the 2nd round, I'll eat crow, humble pie, and whatever else they serve up to people who need to admit they were wrong. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know as much about hockey as I thought I did, and ask for forgiveness.

If they get to the Stanley Cup Finals, I'll only post here to ask questions, b/c I will have been so far off in my assessment of what it takes to be an elite hockey team in today's NHL that to post otherwise w/comments and opinions would be just stoopid.

But I'm not clinging to that 3-0 collapse the way the old Red Sox folks (myself included) did. When you lose a 3-0 series lead it's not b/c of curses, ghosts or gremilns...it's b/c the team you had wasn't good enough...and I don't see this year's squad as being improved enough to get past a Flyers team that got a whole lot better, and many other teams that seem to have it more together than this one, for the reasons I stated above and have all along.

Remember, even tho' they surprised a lot of people w/that win against Buffalo last year, they still couldn't get past round 2 of the playoffs...and in fact the team hasn't done that in quite a looooong time. So I don't think the upset win over the Sabres last year is any kind of proof that the Bruins are just waiting to make fools of the nay-sayers like me this year.

This organization is still the only of the major Boston sports teams yet to deliver to its fans any kid of real playoff success since the early '90's. 

Don't you think the burden of proof is on THEM, not the fans who may think they're going nowhere again...even if the future holds promise? The facts and history is on the side of the doubters when it comes to the Black & Gold.

(and can we at least agree that Julien is being an idiot holding back Seguin? PLEASE? ;-)

Sections
Shortcuts