The Solution

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Re: The Solution

This thread is misleading; everyone knows "the solution" is Shea Weber.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: The Solution:
    [QUOTE]TTBI - I really hope Seguin will be that guy.  A lot of self-proclaimed "true fans" (read: campaigning for the Bs PR job) like to claim the team is just "chilling" until the playoffs.   A lot of these same "fans" were in support of the Savard contract and now say we DON'T need a big scorer?   They can't even get their stories straight (in true PR-speak fashion.) To boot, they CONSTANTLY bring up the Sabres series last year as proof of what? That they blew a 3-0 series AND 3-0 game lead to the Flyers?   Oh, they blew a 3-0 Game 7 lead because they didn't have Krejci....right. Why do people forget that this team was on the receiving end of one of the colossal choke jobs in NHL history? If I were the team FO, I'd be ripping this team a new hole right now.  Which I unapologetically have been doing.  Sorry, I want to see a team that can play consistently well enough to show me they have a really good shot of winning a Cup.  That's all I want.  But, that's just me.......but what do I know? I'm apparently a "whiner."  
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

If you feel like living in the past so much, why don't you bring up the loss to the Habs in '02?   Let's talk about the team that won the President's Trophy in 20 years ago but didn't win the Cup!

The past is the past.  This team is this season's story.  Last year's team was different.  The team in '02 was different.  All teams are different.  What is the benefit to talking about losses from previous seasons (no matter how colossal)?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

The Bruins have shown on some occasions this year that they can play with the league's best.  They've done so sometimes even without performing in a style I think allows them to maximize the skills presently on the club; that is, with some hostility and by that I mean finishing their checks much like we saw the Pens deliver to them a few games ago. 

As the playoffs approach, I hope Julien and Co. can use these remaining regular season games to sort out whatever currently ails the Bruins.  The present record of 38-21-9 is enviable but we know the short turnaround and raised stakes of the playoffs is no place for inconsistent efforts.  I'm hoping they find a rhythm, ride it into the playoffs, taking it as far as possible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: The Solution:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Solution : This organization is still the only of the major Boston sports teams yet to deliver to its fans any kid of real playoff success since the early '90's.  Don't you think the burden of proof is on THEM, not the fans who may think they're going nowhere again...even if the future holds promise? The facts and history is on the side of the doubters when it comes to the Black & Gold. (and can we at least agree that is being an idiot holding back JulienSeguin? PLEASE? ;-)Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

Those two points I can't argue it has been a long time Sealed

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Solution : Those two points I can't argue it has been a long time
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I second that.

Julien sometimes has to loosen up. Last season when Krejci got hurt I wanted youth but since he's a traditionalist he brought up Whitfield that brought squat energy to a team that was deflated from the injury.
    Youth brings this energy and Seguin knows the playoffs are his 2nd chance to show why he went 2nd. Force feed him now into the PP, he'll be ready in the playoffs!!!  
    The Oilers in the Messier years won that cup with an energy line called the "kid line" . Sure they don't have the experience but the Bruins will be far from lacking any therefore make the kid(s) play and they'll energize this team. I really believe in this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Solution : I second that. Julien sometimes has to loosen up. Last season when Krejci got hurt I wanted youth but since he's a traditionalist he brought up Whitfield that brought squat energy to a team that was deflated from the injury. Youth brings this energy and Seguin knows the playoffs are his 2nd chance to show why he went 2nd. Force feed him now into the PP, he'll be ready in the playoffs!!!   The Oilers in the Messier years won that cup with an energy line called the "kid line" . Sure they don't have the experience but the Bruins will be far from lacking any therefore make the kid(s) play and they'll energize this team. I really believe in this.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Of Edmonton's "Kid Line", only Gelinas was a rookie.  Graves and Murphy had played in previous seasons, including previous playoff games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Solution : Of Edmonton's "Kid Line", only Gelinas was a rookie.  Graves and Murphy had played in previous seasons, including previous playoff games.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Yes. I'm not saying Bruins have to bring up Caron ,Sauve and have Seguin center them . No way Julien will stand for that .
    My point was not to point rookies but what youth can generate. 
    Bruins is a different situation but I could see a Marchand and maybe Seguin generate this for the Bruins in the playoffs just not the same line.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think Kaberle was a good addition and has made this team better, but he or anyone else that would have been added wasn't the key to the team.  Right now Bergeron has gone cold and third line has looked sloppy.  Ference and Kampfer injuries are big.  Bartowski is in way over his head.  If we get one of them back it will be great.  I'm not a 'Must play Seguin' chanter, but right now I wouldn't mind seeing him playing with Ryder and Recchi for a game or two to mix things up.  I like Kelly, but he bores me.  He would make a great 4th liner and Paille could get bumped again.  As far as Kaberle not being a good enough PMD, he is more productive than anyone but Lidstrom, including the names thrown around on this thread, so I think he is good enough.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Kaberle is 14th in D scoring, 5th in assists, but 80th in goals tied with 33 others and a whole goal ahead of Gill.

The other Bos D are in top 60 in +/- and he is tied for 110.

But he is for PP, and we are 1 for 1 in 5 on 3's.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Solution : NAS - I am not bringing up the past.  Read my post closer.  I 100% agree with you. This year is this year.   Others keep pointing to last season's Sabres' playoff victory as a sign that  " everything is fine in Bruinsland. "  So, i threw the Flyers' debacle as proof that you can't ride on anything, except the HERE and NOW - which is a 4 game losing streak.  Period. Cup?   No one knows about a Cup this year.  Every fan of every team hopes.  The Habs ripped the hearts out of the Caps last year.   Who saw that coming?  
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

I misinterpreted your post.  Apologies!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Solution : 100% correct. Kaberle alone was never going to be the answer. The Bruins are short that point-getter on BOTH offense and defense, but you know--point that out here and you get slammed. I liked PC's moves but I also said they weren't enuff to improve the B's to the point where they'd get to the conference funals....now it looks as if they could b a very swift 1st rd. exit. The point on needing more than one very good PMD is underscored by how badly this team has played w/out a healthy Kampfer--the only other legitimate PMD they have. You certainly need more than ONE PMD on your team to be successful, and having more than two greatly increases the chance for success. The loss of Ference (NOT a PMD, but an underrated presence) also has been a big blow for this team as of late, but to say getting ONE PMD at trade deadline was somehow a foolish move or is the reason the team has been playing like dog s*it is to miss the point: which is that the Bruins have been lacking elite goal-scorers/ppoint producers on both O and D for some time and will continue to struggle until they get them. And can Julien PLEASE just freaking let Seguin play the d*mn game already??? AS if they could be ANY WORSE without him right now!
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

I talked about needing a legit sniper type threat to help with the PP along with a PMD before the trade deadline.

I also stated that Peverley best be that guy on the second line, because that's essentially why he was acquired.

There is no doubt Chiarelli and Julien are on the hotseat.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I see that the Bruins attendance has been over 97% to capacity since 2008 Chiarelli's 2nd year, 99% the last 3 years. I don't know how many sellouts the Bruins have in a row or how many in the last four years but I'm sure it's quit allot to reach that type of capacity. The Bruins are about to get another top ten pick this summer along with the Seguin and Knight coup last summer and they are 5 points out of 2nd in the Eastern Conference...

So BB please explain to me how Chiarelli is on the hot seat ? not Julien but PC...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I don't want to hear about capacity.  When Sinden and O'Connell were sinking the ship, the loyal Bruins fan was still plunking down the $$ to relive the glory years of the 1970s and 1980s.

Chiarelli had chips and if these chips don't bring a return, he's the guy who is responsible. Hence, why he is on the hotseat.

This is like Billy Beane on steroids (CHia has more of a checkbook).

Beane is overrated. He moves chips around after bragging about how great he is, but he wins absolutely nothing.

Chia will start to look like this if he doesn't produce with HIS moves. Get it?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

We all know what Jacobs thinks of his cash cow I need no explanation on that. Sorry BB you need to do more than that to explain the "hot seat" Chiarelli's job is safe IMO. Jacobs does care about attendance in rating PCs performance then you also have to look at how this Boston is constituted for the next five or six years.

When O'Connell and Sinden were sinking the ship they got fired look at the attendance in those last years you've missed the point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]I see that the Bruins attendance has been over 97% to capacity since 2008 Chiarelli's 2nd year, 99% the last 3 years. I don't know how many sellouts the Bruins have in a row or how many in the last four years but I'm sure it's quit allot to reach that type of capacity. The Bruins are about to get another top ten pick this summer along with the Seguin and Knight coup last summer and they are 5 points out of 2nd in the Eastern Conference... So BB please explain to me how Chiarelli is on the hot seat ? not Julien but PC...

SanDog,

The burden of success for this franchise is on PC--rightly or wrongly--and it's b/c of the long. long championship drought, and more recently--the horrible playoff record since 1992.

I actually DON'T think PC is on the hot seat b/c JJ got him on the cheap, and changing horses now would cost him, and we all know how much JJ loves throwing money around (PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ORR DON'T ANYONE BRING UP THAT SPENDING TO THE CAP BULLSH*T)...

Look, I think PC has really done pretty well (aside from the Versteeg trade), and like I said a million times, he got probably teh best package he could have this year w/out selling out the future), but it is also entirely fair to say: Show me the playoffs. Unless and Until PC (or anyone in his job) can deliver AT LEAST better than a 2nd round playoff exit, how can he NOT be held responsible in some fashion?

Things are not going to get easier. Teams that are lousy now are going to start giving teams like the Bruins fits in the next couple of years if they're smart and hold onto their youth (laugh if you want but if the Islanders ever get a solid goaltender they are going to be a very tough team).

Bruins fans sell out the Vault b/c (and I suspect you know this) they are 1) desperate to see their team win and 2) loyal to a fault.  There was absolutely zero reason to plunk down $$$ for one of priciest tickets in the league from 1995-2004 unless it was to see the last days of Ray Bourque, and we all know how that ended. You can argue that the 1998 team had jason Allison and made it to round 2 blah blah blah....but this team NEEDS more than any franchise I can think of TO START WINNING NOW.

Whether that's fair or not isn;'t the point. PC may be building for "the future." But I've been hearing that since the 90's and I have a right to be sick of it. So do you. So does any Bruins fan.

Yeah, Pittsburgh went thru some tuff years b4 they got the best player in the game, but he's not the only reason they won a Cup. They made other smart moves as well. How does Detroit stay so strong year after year in a capped-league structure? I dunno--but its motto of "Hockeytown" is way more accurate than "Hub of Hockey" here in faliure-ville.

If you want to pull out the old "What have the Capitals and Sharks ever done in the playoffs" argument--go right ahead. But neither of them are Original 6 franchises with fan bases that have waited as long and suffered as much as the Bruins'.

PC is in a tough job. I readily admit it. It's not his fault that he took over a franchise that made so many horrible on top of stingy non-moves in the past 20 years, and it's certainly not his fault that the Cup hasn't been here since mutton chops were in fashion.

But it IS his responsibility to deliver NOW--not 5 or 10 years from now when the core players we do have will start to show their age and we start hearing about re-building all over again.

Maybe a coaching change next year will help. It certainly should benefit Seguin, who I fear is going the Joe Thornton route (i.e. out of town eventually) under Julien...My fear is that the B's are out in round 1 no matter who they draw, and Julien gets fired a week or two after to be the sacrificial lamb...but it's ultimately on PC to bring something better to the fans than a 1st or 2nd round exercise in futility...again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]We all know what Jacobs thinks of his cash cow I need no explanation on that. Sorry BB you need to do more than that to explain the "hot seat" Chiarelli's job is safe IMO. Jacobs does care about attendance in rating PCs performance then you also have to look at how this Boston is constituted for the next five or six years. When O'Connell and Sinden were sinking the ship they got fired look at the attendance in those last years you've missed the point.

I have missed absolutely no point.  Chiarelli was brought here to win a Cup.

Can we at least pretend this is reality? lol

Cam Neely was given a job to promote a symbolic measure to the fans to reinforce this idea.  Agree?

The one guy who deserved to win a Cup here, who didn't, outside of Bourque's situation, who did not play in the 1970s, is Cam Neely. 

Hence, why his face sits up there with Chia. Keep in mind, Chia cleared out the dead weight in 2006 and had expiring deals, and therefore, he invested the money in players of his choosing.

Keep in mind he DRAFTED Phil Kessel.  I question his skills on that alone. If you didn't like his skill set, why did you draft him?

Bascially, Seguin and the 2012 pick will define him, outside of the Cup being a reality here.

Until they actually at least reach a Cup Finals, the question will continue to remain:

"Is this good enough"?

If Chiarelli is not responsible for drafting Kessel, dealing Kessel, drafting Seguin, signing players to the contracts he has, trading for Kaberle after walking around with a raging hard-on, publicly, for him for 3 years, etc.....Just who is?

Maybe Julien is a good coach, but not good enough? Who hired Julien?

What if Julien is let go after this season because of another collapse and the next coach also fails?

When/where does it end?

Fans like you seem to think Chiarelli is on Ken Holland or Lou Lamiorello's level and it's just laughable.

He absolutely has to prove his decisions work.

Bragging about picks when you haven't won squat in 40 years is fruitless.

In the cap era, Danny Ainge masterfully used his chips and made the right move.

Boston has one ring, 3 Conf Finals appearances in 3 years, and probably should have 2 rings, barring a sketchy Game  in LA last year in the 4th qtr.

Ainge made the right moves and didn't just say "we have draft picks".  Fans don't want to hear the draft pick rhetoric when they have zero to cheer for in 40 years.

The Celtics were going on 25 years, but put a stop to it.

The Bruins? We'll see. 

I am pretty sure we've had this conversation before, but it gets really annoying seeing people pretend like Julien and his boss (Chia) aren't responsible as well.

If they don't show well in the playoffs or don't make it to a Conf FInals at the very least, Chia is absolutely on the hotseat heading into next year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

" the Cup hasn't been here since mutton chops were in fashion ". Thats what the B's fans need, a rallying motivator like growing a set of mutton chops ! I'm all for it. Who needs to wave towels in the playoffs ? Every B's of the male sex and any women that can should grow a set of mutton chops to show support for the Bruins in the playoffs ! That could just be the " Voodoo chile " that the B's need to push on through and win the Cup. How about it ? I'm starting right now ! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

^^I Like that idea. Channel Neil Young on the Live Rust Tour, circa '79.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

BB...stop living in the past..."haven't won squat in 40 yrs."- crap.  i can't imagine how angry you were until 2004 when the sox won the series. so now the pats have won a lombardi....and now the lone whipping post left are the bruins. with "fans" like you- who needs enemies. are you just happier unhappy? what will you have to complain about when the b's win a cup? you might have to become a cubs fan to make you "happy". smile 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]" the Cup hasn't been here since mutton chops were in fashion ". Thats what the B's fans need, a rallying motivator like growing a set of mutton chops ! I'm all for it. Who needs to wave towels in the playoffs ? Every B's of the male sex and any women that can should grow a set of mutton chops to show support for the Bruins in the playoffs ! That could just be the " Voodoo chile " that the B's need to push on through and win the Cup. How about it ? I'm starting right now ! 
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Hey, what have we got to lose except more playoff failure? I'm a week or so away from shaving my winter beard but maybe I'll keep the sideburns super-long to get the mojo moving in the right direction again...

Who else is in?? C'mon--show your Chops for the B's!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I wasn't angry. I am a realist.

I knew the Yawkey/Harrington combo weren't committed to winning, so I conceded the worst. 

Same with the Sullivans and the Pats.  No point in being fully vested

When each new ownership group came in, I saw a commitment.    Is it a shock, both NE and the Red Sox won titles because the owners care and get it?

Absolutely not. Not a coincidence.

With the Bruins, it's still Jacobs. He's dressed it up so it looks better, but the results are still the same. 

One and done or collapse in Round 2.  This is the present. I call it like I see it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]BB...stop living in the past..."haven't won squat in 40 yrs."- crap.  i can't imagine how angry you were until 2004 when the sox won the series. so now the pats have won a lombardi....and now the lone whipping post left are the bruins. with "fans" like you- who needs enemies. are you just happier unhappy? what will you have to complain about when the b's win a cup? you might have to become a cubs fan to make you "happy". smile 
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure BB would be happy as a pig in sh*t if the Bruins won the Cup.

I don't want to speak for him, but as a fellow Bruins fan who's also sick of the 4-decade drought, I'd rather have this team win and be wrong than continue to be right and have them lose.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]^^I Like that idea. Channel Neil Young on the Live Rust Tour, circa '79.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

A few years back i grew a set of long sideburns and my wife said " oh my god your turning into Neil Young " , hilarious.