The take on the Tampa game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The take on the Tampa game

I have a tendency to believe CJ is not the most creative offensive coaches.  When there is a need for scoring, he will go into a defensive shell.  Sometimes it works like with the game with LA and sometimes it fails like last night.  Just curious to hear different points of view.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: The take on the Tampa game

I voted poor coaching. Just because CJ shows little versatility when faced with a conundrum like TB Speed+Skill. He doesnt adjust at all during the course of the game. Also Caron-Bergeron-Recchi (the shutdown group) was split up before a game against one of the best lines in the league(The Stamkos Line). That is a huge flop if you ask me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=ebf42fc509a1310e13e9cce693e37d94&plckUserId=ebf42fc509a1310e13e9cce693e37d94" target="_parent">I-Like-Hockey  your right on the money imo as for the breaking you the line of bergie and caron.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

I've said this in the past; CJ system of collapsing & allowing teams to attack will never win in the end!!!  Tampa attakced their D, pinched on the high wings who are basically stationary, passed around the collapsing D zone coverage, its very frustrating to watch....the have the guns they are just not utilizing them correctly IMO;

There are other coaches out there, I had never even heard of the coach in Tampa before last night, they zoomed in on him a couple of times rallying his team going over lanes, exploiting what the B's were doing, its called ADJUSTMENTS...CJ just doesnt do it, bunch of robots out there!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

It's kind of stupid to have a poll of why the Bs lost and not even have a "Tampa played a better game"

Bs looked poor the first 2 periods but did have a good third. Bs were simply outplayed in the first 2.

Why is it that Bs "fans" only enjoy bashing the team and the players? Can't you give credit to the other team sometimes? There is a reason the Bs have had the lowest GAA the past few years - the defensive system works.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

CJ is too predictable. The robot stuff is spot on. The B's don't have a game plan when speed is part of it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: The take on the Tampa game:
    [QUOTE]It's kind of stupid to have a poll of why the Bs lost and not even have a "Tampa played a better game" Bs looked poor the first 2 periods but did have a good third. Bs were simply outplayed in the first 2. Why is it that Bs "fans" only enjoy bashing the team and the players? Can't you give credit to the other team sometimes? There is a reason the Bs have had the lowest GAA the past few years - the defensive system works.
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]

Well not taking anything away from TB. But it has been a recurring incident over the past few years where CJ doesnt adjust and/or the B's come out completely flat for apparently no reason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

nrguy - I definitely agree that Tampa was just the better team that clearly outplayed & outworked the B's all over the ice!!

The GAA thing I just cant agree with you on, as the stat is nice but when you trap your GAA is going to be in the lower bracket of the league every season; but in your opinion do you think it'll win your team a Cup?  In todays game, I just dont see it as a plan to be successful in a sport that just cannot be X and O driven like football.....what do you think??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueEyedGuy. Show BlueEyedGuy's posts

[QUOTE]It's kind of stupid to have a poll of why the Bs lost and not even have a "Tampa played a better game" Bs looked poor the first 2 periods but did have a good third. Bs were simply outplayed in the first 2. Why is it that Bs "fans" only enjoy bashing the team and the players? Can't you give credit to the other team sometimes? There is a reason the Bs have had the lowest GAA the past few years - the defensive system works.
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]

Good luck with this one, though I agree wholeheartedly with you here.  Sometimes you simply get outplayed or get your backside handed to you and have to admit the other guys played better.  There are 29 other teams out there with professionals who have pride and skill and want to win every bit as your team does--and anyone who can't see or accept that is only fooling themselves.  Give credit where credit is due. There is no shame in admitting the other team was better than yours on a given night.  It happens.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I don't usually critic the coach but yesterday too many little things.  Everyone is allowed to make mistakes but if this continues(maybe half way) not sure Bruins brass (Neely) will not stand for it. 
    PC, Neely and C Jacobs all feel the roster this year is better than last season and this time might not be blaming the players.
    It's too soon for any drastic moves but I've seen some weird moves in the past.
    As for fan critics, anybody else that gets into place will be scrutinized and criticized eventually unless he wins the cup.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The take on the Tampa game : Good luck with this one, though I agree wholeheartedly with you here.  Sometimes you simply get outplayed or get your backside handed to you and have to admit the other guys played better.  There are 29 other teams out there with professionals who have pride and skill and want to win every bit as your team does--and anyone who can't see or accept that is only fooling themselves.  Give credit where credit is due. There is no shame in admitting the other team was better than yours on a given night.  It happens.
    Posted by BlueEyedGuy[/QUOTE]

amen !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]

They did play a better game. So the Bs either played an average game or their game was not up to par with the "A" game of Tampa thus running out of multiple choice answers I place "D" as the other reasons, hoping for an explanation as you did.  Thanks.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mangler. Show Mangler's posts

I couldn't agree with you more! He wonders why they come out flat every game, well they don't, it's his ridiculous passive system that gets them on their heels. They get outshot almost every game because of it. If the Bruins had the Sens goalies they would be at the bottom of the league. I am starting to believe this guy will never get this team over the top. He has alot of offensive players but he just styfles them with this passive system. Look at Seguin, most coaches would put him in the best situation to utilize his great offensive skill, not Julien, all he talks about his getting him to play defense and not put him in situations he can't handle. Chiarelli better be watching closely. When you have a coach that has lost 3 straight game sevens that should be telling you something.

[QUOTE]I've said this in the past; CJ system of collapsing & allowing teams to attack will never win in the end!!!  Tampa attakced their D, pinched on the high wings who are basically stationary, passed around the collapsing D zone coverage, its very frustrating to watch....the have the guns they are just not utilizing them correctly IMO; There are other coaches out there, I had never even heard of the coach in Tampa before last night, they zoomed in on him a couple of times rallying his team going over lanes, exploiting what the B's were doing, its called ADJUSTMENTS...CJ just doesnt do it, bunch of robots out there!!!
    Posted by yep123[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't know that I'm defending CJ with what I'm about to say, because I think there are flaws in the thinking, but I'll say it because it seems to correspond to CJ's actions.

It is a long season.  Sometimes you lose the battle to win the war.  A coach with nothing to prove in the regular season might start thinking about seasons, not games.  In that case, said coach might have objectives other than winning the game when making moves in any individual game.  So for example - if the coach wants his D to work on their decision making, because decision making is the key to making the breakout work, does he change the breakout every three games as teams figure out what the Bs try to do?  Or does he look at mistakes as steps toward improving decision-making (which is, incidentally, a key part of the Let-Tyler-Play school of thought)? 

I think Julien's philosophy is now to treat the entire regular season as a preseason.  Get the players experience in multiple roles within the systems and build chemistry for several combinations to guard against injury.  Trust the talent to make the offense work by capitalizing on the opportunities created by the defense and (when there is one) the forecheck.  Expose the younger guys to top teams to see how they handle responsibility.  All of this working on the assumption that you have the horses either to make the playoffs  regardless or to turn on the jets down the stretch and make the playoffs.  Once you're in - different story.  Then it's just win, baby.

Most of the things raised here are about Julien not adapting to situations and not taking responsibility for keeping the team from coming out flat.  He might not see these as things a coach addresses in November if he sees progress over the long haul.  But he's asking a huge leap of faith.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oeo. Show oeo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The take on the Tampa game : Well not taking anything away from TB. But it has been a recurring incident over the past few years where CJ doesnt adjust and/or the B's come out completely flat for apparently no reason.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

I would agree. TB played well and Boston played flat, unorganized till the end of the 3rd when they showed some life. CJ needs to adjust, which is what I don't understand. When he coached the Habs and they were a small, he adjusted. I'm not in the viewing area, so I don't get to see them much, but I focused on Chara and his extremely poor play. Last night was awful. 

My question is, what's up with the 'staches? Tribute to Burns?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmb246. Show dmb246's posts

Julien's system only works when you have the lead,thats when other teams press and give you chances to add to the lead.You can't give up 30+ shots a night and continue to win.Any body else notice the last 5 or so minutes of the game the bruins had alot more offensive zone pressure a scoring chances,thats the way they should be playing from the start instead of spending the whole game penned up in their zone hoping the other team makes a mistake.
                 It's like I said before Julien's system is a good starting point for a team and the safe style of play will get you to the play-offs (which is what keeps him on the bench) but it will not get you a cup in todays NHL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

When the Bruins skate, check well, pressure the puck, clear the rebounds, and crash the net, like the system dictates, they play a competitive game against anyone in the league.

Will it win a cup? I can't see how you can make a definitive argument against it. In their loses, the Bs have come out flat or have been out skated. I wouldn't blame that on Julien.

I actually thought it was a good adjustment by CJ in the third when they played 4 up and there were several quality scoring chances. CJ also ramps up the forecheck when they get behind in games. Another important stat to mention is that the Bs are one of the best teams in the 3rd period. You can translate that to CJ being good at adjustments, or that he's a period late with the adjustments?

I think in loses, you need to blame the players more or equally as much as the coach. You can't say every win is the players and every loss is CJ. That's just stupid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neely07708. Show Neely07708's posts

How does anyone know what the conversations where prior to the game, during the game or in between periods?  It's hard to blame a coach when I don't know what was said.  I highly doubt the team hadn't talked about the adjustments they felt were needed against what Tampa was doing that was effective. 

Was it that the B's were just flat and not moving their feet?  That could have also hampered how long it took the team to respond.  Either way, Tampa looked ready and a lot more motivated to get the job done, and as a team Boston did not.  Tampa took advantage of that and deserved to win.

It's one game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

oeo, right on, Chara was awful. BB, nice try at amelioration, but no sale. Too often this season, the Bruins have not been ready to play. Readiness comes from coaching. There are some necessary changes like Ryder for Savard. One concern might be that if Wheels goes back on the wing he will not be as effective as he has become at center. He still falls down too easily for a big guy. Recchi should be on the 4th line with Marchand and Campbell plus on the PP. That should keep him more rested. Savvy might look good with Seguin and Wheeler or flip-flop with Kreji. Savvy coming back does not look like an easy fit. Also Hunwick, Ference, and Stuart are nowhere near stability. Tampa is supposed to be weak on defense and still looked better than the B's defense. No time for napping Mr. Chiarelli.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know that I'm defending CJ with what I'm about to say, because I think there are flaws in the thinking, but I'll say it because it seems to correspond to CJ's actions. It is a long season.  Sometimes you lose the battle to win the war.  A coach with nothing to prove in the regular season might start thinking about seasons, not games.  In that case, said coach might have objectives other than winning the game when making moves in any individual game.  So for example - if the coach wants his D to work on their decision making, because decision making is the key to making the breakout work, does he change the breakout every three games as teams figure out what the Bs try to do?  Or does he look at mistakes as steps toward improving decision-making (which is, incidentally, a key part of the Let-Tyler-Play school of thought)?  I think Julien's philosophy is now to treat the entire regular season as a preseason.  Get the players experience in multiple roles within the systems and build chemistry for several combinations to guard against injury.  Trust the talent to make the offense work by capitalizing on the opportunities created by the defense and (when there is one) the forecheck.  Expose the younger guys to top teams to see how they handle responsibility.  All of this working on the assumption that you have the horses either to make the playoffs  regardless or to turn on the jets down the stretch and make the playoffs.  Once you're in - different story.  Then it's just win, baby. Most of the things raised here are about Julien not adapting to situations and not taking responsibility for keeping the team from coming out flat.  He might not see these as things a coach addresses in November if he sees progress over the long haul.  But he's asking a huge leap of faith.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

BookBoy, that may be the best and most logical analysis I have read regarding CJ's apparent coaching strategy so far this season. Fantastic post. I agree completely, and I also agree that TB was simply the better team. I was, as I said before the game, dissappointed that Seguin was put on Bergeron's line, but in the framework of your analysis,it makes sense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Last night was just a dud, folks. Those happen. Coaching wasn't any help but it wasn't the main issue. From the very first shift it was clear things weren't going to go well for the Bruins. All night points from the shot were getting blocked, the D had issues communicating with each other and moving the puck, and the B's just didn't have any jump.

On a bright note, though, I thought Seguin looked really good last night. Wing definitely suits him better than the middle.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

The B's are starting to look like a middle-of-the-pack team...victims of early swagger?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

ITS NOT JUST LAST NIGHT.....I make the point that they do not come out flat, the sytem they play reigns in their ability to establish a forecheck, collapses in zone allowing to be attacked, never regroup through their D on turnovers just dump it back in basically allowing possession to opposition to reassure every is back, ITS A TRAP guys, its not about being outplayed or coming out flat "one night" its about staying close in games MAYBE gain a neutral zone turnover to trigger your offense, its ridiculous, you make your own chanes vs. the best players in the world making a mistake.....its the exact same as theory as 'prevent defense' in football, and this is done when up ina game this clown doesnt until the third period on the road to let the troops play, that intensity & forecheck should be done @ the drop not when down 3 on the road & playign catch up, it doesnt work!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]The B's are starting to look like a middle-of-the-pack team...victims of early swagger?
    Posted by BTownExpress[/QUOTE]
    It is certainly possible that their 'hot' start masked some question marks about the makeup of the team.

I know, this is an excuse right?  But the team on the ice right now, cap-hit-wise, is about $7M under the cap.  In principle, at least, that means they should be worse than about 20 other teams.

This is probably just something that exacerbates whatever underlying problems there may be, though.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The thought I had running through my head last night was how can they break the speed and skill of Stamkos et al.  The 4th line was a dud last night.  Me thinks the Tampa coach Boucher was up on how the 4th line was creating energy in the previous games.  I wondered about placing Bergeron once again on the first line with Lucic and Horton.  Then quite contrarily I thought as BB stated above it was a matter of getting Krejci back into play shape and readjusting playing with Horton and Lucic.  Finally I came to the decision it was either the need of a catalyst on defense like a puck moving defenseman or Savard on the powerplay that would allow a obvious "jet lagged" or "pre turkey" team to generate a change.  Chara did so against LA.  Again me thinks Boucher was onto that given the fact Krejci was getting into game shape and Chara was aggressive against LA in the third period of that game.  So as much as I think it was offense I seriously believe it is the need on defense.  Crab, the goalies are not to blame here.  Thus I was interested in seeing if others felt as I do, cause I don't live in a "fish bowl".  I want different points of view other what I think. DrCC once again you cleared the air in the last post.  Thanks to you and the others.  Like to see some fresh new thinking as I ponder where this team is going from the early to the mid season form. 

Sections
Shortcuts