The third line

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The third line

I think a weakness last season, and a weakness in the playoff albeit with a different cast of characters.

Just for the sake of discussion let's assume Kelly and Soderberg are locks.

Here are the guys competing for the other slot, all of whom I *think* have a legit shot;

Caron

Camara

Koko (Sorry NAS, but I can't spell Khokhlachev, matter of fact, no one can)

Lindblad

Spooner

Knight 

Smith

Fraser

Or is this list too optimistic?   I don't know who to pull off that list, but just split it down the middle and let's say 4 of those guys have a shot at the 1 spot, I think that's pretty good.  A whole heck of a lot better than the competition for the 3rd line last year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Re: The third line

I would say Caron or Smith have the lead right now. With Kelly centering the line & Juliens train of thought of whats expected out of a 3rd line I would go with the dependable responsible which cuts your list in half. Lets hope some one jumps forward & takes the spot not just from default. On 1 hand I love Kelly & remember when he broke his leg the Bruins slumped badly....Then on the other hand I feel the Bruins have enough talent to field a high tempo scoring line & Kelly kinda holds that back. Goin with the winning formula I,ll say Soderberg-Kelly-Smith

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

move Paille up to the 3rd.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think all you have listed have a shot, and like Matty said throw in Paille or even Grifith as a very, very outside contender.

I think Smith would be the favorite, with Spooner the most likely to play so good that they have to work the lineup around for him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

And it has arrived, the first "3rd line" thread of the year. It would be nice to just keep one but it wont happen.

I think Fraser has the most talent to pop 20 goals on the 3rd line Caron has the inside track and probably gets a 20 game look. Would love to see Smith get some time on the 4th over Thornton. This is Shawn's last year let him watch some games for a change.

Chiarelli has been the most vocal he has ever been about the prospects than in the past.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

And it has arrived, the first "3rd line" thread of the year. It would be nice to just keep one but it wont happen.

I think Fraser has the most talent to pop 20 goals on the 3rd line Caron has the inside track and probably gets a 20 game look. Would love to see Smith get some time on the 4th over Thornton. This is Shawn's last year let him watch some games for a change.

Chiarelli has been the most vocal he has ever been about the prospects than in the past.

Yes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Yes.

Defintely.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Would have liked to see a vet invite.  Cleary Raymond are likely too exp but a keith aucoin would have been nice.  He quietly had a solid year.  If he didnt stick would be a great call up.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I know it means nothing as its training camp, but i just read that right now they have Kelly centering Caron (L) and Smith(R) for todays practice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Why not make the discussion 3rd and 4th lines. Claude will have a heart attack if the 4th line contains some more speed and scoring capability Vs. his definition of grit[ Thornton], but it's time for some changes involving more equal ice time for all lines if they contain the right blend of skill and character. It's also possible that Campbell's leg will not stand the strain, and both Soderberg [3rd] and Kelly[4th] change the discussions. Kelly and Paille could dominate the PK plus Fraser or Caron added for grit; then Soderberg with Rielly and Spooner change the 3rd line perspective for scoring. Claude has changed when change looks better. It looks more ineresting every day, and will be buried by the focus on the Red Sox

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Kelly-Soderberg-Smith on the 3rd

Paille-Fraser-Campbell-Spooner  on the 4th

Thorton ....on the gallery 

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 4 more Cups by 2020

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I think Florek should be added to that list based on comments from Cassidy.  I can't wait to see the kids this year.  I would be happiest f it were Spooner, but I think the brass will be happiest if a natural wing wins the spot, and I wouldn't argue with that.  It's going to be fun.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

I know it means nothing as its training camp, but i just read that right now they have Kelly centering Caron (L) and Smith(R) for todays practice.

I think you will see Julien go with all kinds of 3rd line mixes during pre-season games.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

SanDog do you have a link?  Who is Soderberg working with?  Is he centering the 4th while Cambell (Soupy) continues to rehab.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Campbell isn't rehabbing as far as I know. My suggestion would be to create a twitter account, search "Boston Briuins". Presto instant camp updates. 

Oh and DaveyN read what I expected, 3rd line tryout begins.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Campbell isn't rehabbing as far as I know. My suggestion would be to create a twitter account, search "Boston Briuins". Presto instant camp updates. 

Oh and DaveyN read what I expected, 3rd line tryout begins.

Defintely, im looking forwad to seeing/hearing who works the best with Kelly and Soderberg.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Would have liked to see a vet invite.  Cleary Raymond are likely too exp but a keith aucoin would have been nice.  He quietly had a solid year.  If he didnt stick would be a great call up.  

Not so quietly.  Aucoin earned himself a one-year deal with the Blues - signed on July 5th, too, so it isn't a "take what you can get" situation.  $625K on a one year deal, which is something for a 34 yr old who's never been able to stick.  Completely forgot that he was the P-Bruins leading scorer in 2002-03 and that, in 2004-05, he played with Bergeron in Providence during the lockout.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Totally agree, SD - this has the potential to be as big a thread as the old Toronto Record Tracker...though I guess we should be hoping no?  I mean, if they come out of the gate with a combination that is fantastic, they'll just stay together all year....

I hope to see enough of Fraser to agree with you.  At very least, I'm hoping to see him score like a rooster in a hen house if he goes to Providence.  And yes, I'd like to see them create more opportunities to acclimate the prospects by dropping the clown's game count. 

When I look at the lines they're running across the two groups, it looks like this to me:

Group 2:  First line, Third line candidates, Fourth line, Providence First/Second line candidates, Providence Third/Fourth Line.

Group 1: Second line, Third line candidates, Providence First/Second line candidates,  Providence First/Second line candidates, Providence Third/Fourth Liners.

If I'm right, that means there are six guys vying for that Boston third line, and two of them are Kelly and Soderberg.  Look at the other guys - Fraser, Smith, and Caron would have to be at the top of the list going into camp in terms of the organization's commitment to having them play in Boston this year, and Cunningham ('Dog assures me) has earned a serious look.  I think that's the group you can expect to see time on the third line unless someone else goes ape.

It also means that 1st/2nd line group in Providence is massively overpopulated with three of these guys dropping down and joining the three full lines of guys already competing for top six roles.  Add Spooner to those three and you're left with two spots for the other 8 players who want to lay claim to an offensive role.  Camper will get one of those spots, I would think.  I'm guessing Griffith ends up back in London as an over-ager if he doesn't seriously out-perform the competition - just because he'll play there.  So Camara, Lindblad, Florek, Khokhlachev, and Knight will all be fighting for that one spot.  If Khokhlachev doesn't get it, it could be tough for him.

Weird that the Bruins almost have too many prospects you can be realistically hopeful about.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Once again Chiarelli has made moves to improve the Bruins in Boston, and now in Providence, where the coaching has shown up in the development of capable D-men. Now they need an "Oates"-type to work with the improved forwards and the overall PP thinking. Could it be that the "coach in the sky box" finally provides some insight ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Weird that the Bruins almost have too many prospects you can be realistically hopeful about.

Outside of Spooner, are the any Providence guys* that are worth their salt at all?

*anyone in the organIzation that didn't appear in the playoffs last year

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I go back and forth on this. I keep hoping Caron will take it and run with it, for no other reason than I dont want to see a first round pick go to waste. If not, I was hoping one of the younger guys gets it, like Smith, but then I see a player like Mason Raymond have to settle for an invite to the Leafs camp and I say the B's are a cup contending team and he would be a nice fit.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Caron from what I hear , some buddies at the Garden today seemed he had pretty good jump. Looks like he really workout over the summer.

I think I'll cut it down to Spooner, Reilly Smith, Fraser and Caron.  Two of them will make the team as Julien will carry an extra forward.

As Soderberg, is he really a lock ? Hope Spooner pushes him for the center spot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I think a weakness last season, and a weakness in the playoff albeit with a different cast of characters.

Just for the sake of discussion let's assume Kelly and Soderberg are locks.

Here are the guys competing for the other slot, all of whom I *think* have a legit shot;

Caron

Camara

Koko (Sorry NAS, but I can't spell Khokhlachev, matter of fact, no one can)

Lindblad

Spooner

Knight 

Smith

Fraser

Or is this list too optimistic?   I don't know who to pull off that list, but just split it down the middle and let's say 4 of those guys have a shot at the 1 spot, I think that's pretty good.  A whole heck of a lot better than the competition for the 3rd line last year.

I think Soderberg as a lock is assuming too much. 6 games, 2 pts , and a -2 is not great stats to assume a spot on the roster. Just throw him back into the list you supplied and let the best player win.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Spooner starts the season in Providence. Caron, Smith and Fraser are off and running for the 3rd line spot. I hope Julien gives Camara a look at the 4th line but he heads down 128 w/ KoKo n Spooner.

I could not see Chiarelli telling Soderberg he's going to watch a few games or send him Cassidy's way. Making Thornton   watch allot of games would be a great way to start the season. Trade him back to Orange County, you know to be a leader again Tongue Out

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Spooner starts the season in Providence. Caron, Smith and Fraser are off and running for the 3rd line spot. I hope Julien gives Camara a look at the 4th line but he heads down 128 w/ KoKo n Spooner.

I could not see Chiarelli telling Soderberg he's going to watch a few games or send him Cassidy's way. Making Thornton   watch allot of games would be a great way to start the season. Trade him back to Orange County, you know to be a leader again Tongue Out

Thorton seems to be CJ's son...He sticks with him no matter what.  This is going to bite CJ in the a** soon. Being a long time supporter of Thorton, but every turkey has his day.... There seems to be a few vacant spots to fill....What happens if none of the above, fits the bill ?  Are the Bruins trading before Christmas ?  Let's hope some cream rises to the top.

Sections
Shortcuts