The Thornton Incident.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

The Thornton Incident.

No point in clogging up the game thread .....

looks like a 10 gamer.

https://vine.co/v/hQmwr2aI5BX

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: The Thornton Incident.

Slew foot then punches to the face.

What a pile of garbage Thornton is.

Get him out of a Bruins jersey.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Should be assault and jail time if Orpik is seriously hurt. Really, the NHL is an embarassment.  No other sport tolerates and actually encourages violence like this. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Should be assault and jail time if Orpik is seriously hurt. Really, the NHL is an embarassment.  No other sport tolerates and actually encourages violence like this. 

Intentionally throwing a baseball 90 plus m.p.h towards someones head is hard to top.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Prolate, I appreciate your posts about football, but it's tough to be a football fan and look down on the NHL at the same time.  The Pats just had a player get jail time and let's not forget one Aaron Hernandez.  Hockey may be a violent sport, but it's not played by bad people.  There are no versions of Ray Lewis, Rae Carruth or Aaron Hernandez in the NHL.

Feel free to review the NFL's embarrassing history of real world violence.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Intentionally throwing a baseball 90 plus m.p.h towards someones head is hard to top.

Murder is also difficult to look past.  Go NFL!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I hope Orpik's Ok.  Thornton was pissed and was going to get him one way or the other.  That's what he's there for.  The end result was pretty bad, but I'm glad he was standing up for Loui.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Prolate, I appreciate your posts about football, but it's tough to be a football fan and look down on the NHL at the same time.  The Pats just had a player get jail time and let's not forget one Aaron Hernandez.  Hockey may be a violent sport, but it's not played by bad people.  There are no versions of Ray Lewis, Rae Carruth or Aaron Hernandez in the NHL.

Some of the off-field stuff in the NFL and other sports is despicable of course, but what is problematic about hockey--and hockey alone--is that they treat fighting as part of the game.  I understand the history . . . and I understand the justifications for fighting.  Heck I listen to Don Cherry every Saturday on Hockey Night in Canada.  But I just think the time is long past when fighting should be removed from the game. Hockey is a beautiful sport.  It doesn't need gratuitous violence to make it interesting. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Some of the off-field stuff in the NFL and other sports is despicable of course, but what is problematic about hockey--and hockey alone--is that they treat fighting as part of the game.  I understand the history . . . and I understand the justifications for fighting.  Heck I listen to Don Cherry every Saturday on Hockey Night in Canada.  But I just think the time is long past when fighting should be removed from the game. Hockey is a beautiful sport.  It doesn't need gratuitous violence to make it interesting. 

I notice you didn't address the Saints and other NFL teams getting caught running a bounty system offering cash to injure players on the field.

Do me a favor and dont come here with your NFL logo and preach aboput the NHL.

Gratuitous violence in the NHL is rare and is not what make it interesting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Wow maybe some of you should be pitt fans. If you followed  the sport ya might know orpik had it comin. Take off yer skirts this is hockey. Dont even mention national felon league.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Fighting IS part of the game.  I don't like the stupid Clown vs. Clown stuff, but fighting is part of the game. 

Some of the off field stuff in the NFL?  There were 31 active NFL players arrested between Feb 3 and July 25th.  Driving drunk to punching a woman to child abuse to murder.

I like chatting with you about the Pats, Prolate, but you can't be an NFL fan and talk about unnecessary violence in another sport.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to 86redsox's comment:

Wow maybe some of you should be pitt fans. If you followed  the sport ya might know orpik had it comin. Take off yer skirts this is hockey. Dont even mention national felon league.

I follow the sport.  Tell me why he had it coming.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Posted in the game thread...

I am going to just say it, as I've seen the replay a number of times.  I do not see how/where Orpik was injured or said differently, I have never seen a player leave on a board for less contact.

The accusation that Orpik was viciously attacked by Thornton is just not supported by the video evidence.  Furthermore, there is so little contact to cause the injury:

• Orpik does not hit is head on the ice when pulled down by ST (slew-foot)
    • ST punches with glove on
    • ST's punches have little on them, a couple of short shots, more like like jabs
    • ST's punches appear to be more of the glancing variety
    • ST's punches hit Orpik in the visor, and his head does not make violent contact with the ice

Really, how hurt is Orpik?  The medical staff have to react with appropriate caution, but don't you go out on a board when there is a concern for neck/back injury, as compared to just getting KO'd?  Calling Dr. Recchi...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

I notice you didn't address the Saints and other NFL teams getting caught running a bounty system offering cash to injure players on the field.

Do me a favor and dont come here with your NFL logo and preach aboput the NHL.

Gratuitous violence in the NHL is rare and is not what make it interesting.

Dont' worry dude.  I'm not going to hang out on hockey sites.  I like the game okay, but it just isn't anywhere near as awesome as football. Wink

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Good for Thornton and the Bruins - F*** Orpik and the d/bag pens. IT'S ABOUT TIME - it's enough taking shots at this team. I've seen enough head shots and hits with intent to injure against this team for a lifetime. Hockey play my azz.  Hey Brooks ... you want to play it like that, and then not have the ballz to stand up for yourself? Lights out for you buddy. Oh yeah ...since some like to throw this B S around all the time on this board ... hey they WON the game - so *S T F U*

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Pens fans tonight actually have the nerve to act like the Bruins are a dirty team LoL

Wait till someone hits a Bruin with Bobby Robins in the lineup. Tonight will look like a clean game LoL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Over/Under on Orpik being in the Pens line-up for their next game (Monday)?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

It will be game 1 of his 3 game suspension

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I'm perfectly fine with Thornton's behavior.

It was a strange set of circumstances and yes, Thornton went wild.  With a cheap-shot team like this and a guy like Orpik, who won't stand up for himself after he sends someone off with a concussion, Thornton's response was perfect.

These guys won't be playing each other for the rest of the season, so there's no opportunity to wait for a rematch.  And how many here have moaned about the Bs not standing up for themselves?  In the game after the Cooke hit, there was some token fighting but then everything sort of went away.  Everybody moaned about it.

The Pens -- or anyone else -- need to know that if they go too far, the Bs have the ability in Thornton to go a bit wild, even if it means losing the game.  For everyone who didn't like Thornton's performance, remember that he's a classy guy, and won't take an unfair advantage in a fight.  That's why this sends a message, and it'll be in this and other teams' minds for a while.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Slew foot then punches to the face.

What a pile of garbage Thornton is.

Get him out of a Bruins jersey.

Sorry, NAS, but you are totally wrong.

Two head shots in less than one period and you want the Bruins to do nothing? The Penguins have something else in mind.

Put Thornton out there. Get all the Penguins mind back on the hockey game.

What do you think this is? No way the Bruins lie down and take this again.

If they want to play hockey, let's play hockey. They are not playing hockey. So, we'll get them to play hockey.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I'm going too say Shanahan rules "no suspension". Now if Orpik doesn't get taken off on a stretcher, it would have been 3 games for sure. So he is in the lineup Monday but i'm hoping because Shanahammer hasn't ruled on the play yet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Pens fans tonight actually have the nerve to act like the Bruins are a dirty team LoL

Wait till someone hits a Bruin with Bobby Robins in the lineup. Tonight will look like a clean game LoL

Robins will jump the boards without his gloves if something happens.  That guy is a serious business badass.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

It will be game 1 of his 3 game suspension

I don't think Orpik will get suspended after going off on the stretcher and don't think Neal gets it either.  I think Thornton gets hit hard. 

Not what I think should happen, just think that is what will happen.

Worth noting that Neal and Orpik have been suspended multiple times in their NHL careers, while ST has never been suspended.  Think Shanahan will reverse that trend. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Posted in the game thread...

I am going to just say it, as I've seen the replay a number of times.  I do not see how/where Orpik was injured or said differently, I have never seen a player leave on a board for less contact.

The accusation that Orpik was viciously attacked by Thornton is just not supported by the video evidence.  Furthermore, there is so little contact to cause the injury:

• Orpik does not hit is head on the ice when pulled down by ST (slew-foot)
    • ST punches with glove on
    • ST's punches have little on them, a couple of short shots, more like like jabs
    • ST's punches appear to be more of the glancing variety
    • ST's punches hit Orpik in the visor, and his head does not make violent contact with the ice

Really, how hurt is Orpik?  The medical staff have to react with appropriate caution, but don't you go out on a board when there is a concern for neck/back injury, as compared to just getting KO'd?  Calling Dr. Recchi...

I think this is an excellent point.  Gloves can be harder than a fist depending on the gloves, but you're right, they were short jabs and I just don't see how he could have been that badly injured.

Having said that, Thornton gets 10 games no question.

And having said that, the Bruins will be a better team without him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Robins will jump the boards without his gloves if something happens.  That guy is a serious business badass.

If he ever came after me I would just run in front of a bus too get it over with instead of having too suffer.

Sections
Shortcuts