The three questions to ask on the Kelly trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The three questions to ask on the Kelly trade

• Does he improve the team?
    • Will he help the team secure a better playoff seed?
    • Will he help the team win in the playoffs?
    Poll should be self-explanatory

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mik802. Show mik802's posts

Re: The three questions to ask on the Kelly trade

I honestly dont think it does anything for use unless he has another trade ready (which he better).  If he makes no other moves why not keep the pick not saying its amazing or anything but i see no purpose in bringing in kelly unless there is another move to be made.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Answer to question 1 : NO
    Answer to question 2 : NO
    Answer to question 3 : NO

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 (not so sure about 2011 anymore)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

With all due respect to Kelly, this team needs alot more than that. Getting totally out classed by the Red Wings twice & laying an egg against the lowly Leafs should be an eye opener.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Couldthisbetheyear. Show Couldthisbetheyear's posts

On a positive note, Kelly is an upgrade at Centre as opposed to Seguin who looks lost right now. Kelly plays with emotion and wants to win.  He's a good two-way player, can kill penalties and will drop the gloves if he has to....will it make me plan a parade??  NO, but is it an improvement???  Yes....hopefully more to come from PC...if this is his major plan then we may be in trouble.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mik802. Show mik802's posts

who wouldnt look lost when u play 5 mins a game.  Thats barely enough time to get into the game

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

we had a need for a 3rd line center and we added a very good one that has a lot of playoff experience and is a gritty guy who can chip in with the odd goal. 

We have two more needs.  A #2 dman and a scoring winger.  When those are done we have a much better team.

Yes it helps us.  But no it doesnt put us over the top.  He is a perfect fit to this system.  Its not always about having the most skilled players.  Its about putting a team on the ice that knows their roles.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from choclab511. Show choclab511's posts

Scoring winger? Didn't we trade for Nathan Horton in the off season? Oh wait... nevermind.

Does anyone else think David Krejci is just going through the motions? His passes, and shots for that matter, have no zip on them and he looks like he's just gliding all the time. He's playing soft and not a lot there. Between him and NH, they are getting to be extremely frustrating to watch!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Answer to question 1 : Yes, speed, veteran, adds depth and playoff grit.
    Answer to question 2 : Yes, Fills an immediate need.
    Answer to question 3 : Yes, He will improve Ryders already better play that Seguin and Wheeler could not do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

to my knowledge, kelly has not yet donned the spoked B- so here goes.....1)don't know- he hasn't played with his new teammates yet 2) couldn't tell you, don't have a crystal ball 3) i hope so????.....any more questions? i think i aced that test          

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BamBamNeely. Show BamBamNeely's posts

I think you have to look at this as a move made with the hopes of moving other pieces.  On itsa face it doesnt look incredible but if we are able to moves other forwards in order to get a deal done then yes it was an upgrade.  Don't slouch on Kelly he's going to be a respected guy in the lockerroom and a campbell type player on the ice.  Obviously he is not richards or iginla but who knows he could be the piece that allows them to move another guy like ryder or wheeler.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In Response to Re: The three questions to ask on the Kelly trade:
    we had a need for a 3rd line center and we added a very good one that has a lot of playoff experience and is a gritty guy who can chip in with the odd goal.  We have two more needs.  A #2 dman and a scoring winger.  When those are done we have a much better team. Yes it helps us.  But no it doesnt put us over the top.  He is a perfect fit to this system.  Its not always about having the most skilled players.  Its about putting a team on the ice that knows their roles.
    Posted by shuperman

We did not need a third line center we needed a first line center or a third 2 line center.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Answer to question 1 : Yes, speed, veteran, adds depth and playoff grit. Answer to question 2 : Yes, Fills an immediate need. Answer to question 3 : Yes, He will improve Ryders already better play that Seguin and Wheeler could not do.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

It seems you had the same thought I did when reading about Kelly - Sobotka.  If he can (consistently) get the game out of Ryder that Sobotka did against Buffalo last season, this move could have more impact than the sum of its parts.

My first thought on the trade was also that it doesn't make sense on it's own.  It seems like a sideways move that would only have significant benefit if it frees up another forward (*cough*Wheeler*cough*) for a trade to improve the defense.

However, reading Chiarelli's comments on Kelly, it sounds like he's been a fan for a while.  This may simply be an instance of Chiarelli liking the guy, and the price (a trade in the 50s, probably) being right.  If it heals the recent PK woes, all the better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

We just trade a second round pick for Paille's older brother.  You have to admire how hard Kelly works but he is just another great skater with terrible hands.  I do not see him being a upgrade on Hamill.  He will not make any difference at all for this team.

The only way this deal makes any sense is if they are planning on moving a roster forward for help on D.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

Scoring winger? Didn't we trade for Nathan Horton in the off season? Oh wait... nevermind. Does anyone else think David Krejci is just going through the motions? His passes, and shots for that matter, have no zip on them and he looks like he's just gliding all the time. He's playing soft and not a lot there. Between him and NH, they are getting to be extremely frustrating to watch!!!
    Posted by choclab511

Most of the time Krejci is just making it look easy. He's that good. Other times he's a bit lazy but for the most part he's doing just about everything right. He's picking his spots to hit, he's setting up plays all over the ice... all he needs is a bonafide offensive player to finish more consistently. I would love to see Seguin on that line, but that's a lot of minutes. Maybe mix him in every other shift or something. 

Either that or put Ryder up there. Horton just ain't working out. The combination has been stale for a very long time and everyone would benefit from a shakeup.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

I personally like the Kelly pick up, not a big sexy deal, but one that will definately help out. It only cost us a late 2nd rounder, which doesn't hurt because we have Minnesota's 2nd.
    The big deal we need to make ivolves a D-man. I prefer younger D-men with upside instead of rentals. Our big deal, if available, should be:
    1. Eric Johnson
    2. Zach Bogosian
    3. Tomas Kaberle
    4. Jani Pitkanen
    5. Chris Phillips
    6. Eric Brewer
    The last 4 would be rentals, so I'd prefer one of the first 2.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

I think he helps - Chiarelli can now move Wheeler for a winger who cares and Julien doesn't need to play Seguin at center. 

Could Chiarelli now package Wheeler, Boychuk, and Hamill for a winger and a defenseman?  I know that's a lame question - I'm just looking for a fix like everyone else.  The last three games have been dreadful.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Kelly pretty much seems like a faster version of Greg Campbell.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I agree with Sandog and Dr.CC. This p;rovides solidarity to the center line which Chiarelli is adamant about. It also probably means no time wasted on Brad Richards, so let'e focus on the defense.  Do not know how Claude will adjust his lines, so here's a probable listing:
       Lucic/Kreji/ Horton or Seguin
       Marchand/ Bergeron/ Recchi  do not think Recchi deserves this spot anymore
       Ryder/Kelly/Seguin or Horton
       Wheeler/Campbell/ Thornton [ I would prefer Paille but it looks like another trade

I'm not sure on defense. I would prefer to see Boychuck Moved; I am not enamored with Kaberle; would be delighted to see Johnson or Bogosian

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Helps for everything if he is Wheeler's replacement.

Kelly brings the intangibles that Wheeler doesn't bring.

It's not much of an improvement overall, like 1-3%.

I would say a 30% improvement on Wheeler with all the stuff that doesn't appear on the scoreboard.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Scoring winger? Didn't we trade for Nathan Horton in the off season? Oh wait... nevermind. Does anyone else think David Krejci is just going through the motions? His passes, and shots for that matter, have no zip on them and he looks like he's just gliding all the time. He's playing soft and not a lot there. Between him and NH, they are getting to be extremely frustrating to watch!!!
    Posted by choclab511

In the B's games I've seen this season, Krejci has been nearly invisible. I wouldn't mind seeing him get shipped out. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The way I view Kelly is the way I view Campbell put better personnel around him in a better environment then My expectations of a 3rd line center bodes confidence. Now of course this train of thought hasn't worked so far with Horton but were not talking about Nathan were talking about a third line center for depth.

Sorry Wheeler fans but Blake should have his wedding gift luggage set packed as the salaries even out and PC needs the Savard money for his next move.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Kelly pretty much seems like a faster version of Greg Campbell.
    Posted by abra-cadaver

Good, because Campbell is making Horton look like a footnote to the trade with Florida.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The answerto all three questions is yes.

I'm a little tired of all the Kelly bashing today. He's strong on the forecheck, is  solid on the PK, bangs with the best of them, from all reports is good in the locker room and has a work ethic almost as good as Chara's, has good speed up the boards, and has a knack for getting things going shorthanded. Playing on a horrendous team he has more goals than all but 5 Bruins this season.  

In many ways he's a prototypical Bruin. He's not a star, and he doesn't put us over the top most likely, but he does make the team better, and he improves our playoff shots (not by  tonnes, but by increments, which is better than nothing). For a second round pick that will be somewhere in the 50's? I'd do that trade any day of the week.

I predict he will quicky become a fan favourite in Boston.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moogfan35. Show moogfan35's posts

I think the player we may see benefit the most from this trade is Seguin, He wont have to worry about the defensive responsibility of playing center and the 3rd line gets a little better defensively because of Kelly, maybe freeing Segz up to be more offensive minded and seeing more minutes on the ice.

Sections
Shortcuts