"The Trade"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

"The Trade"

It's been 25 years exactly since the Oilers traded Gretzky to LA.  It's all over my news feeds, of course.  One thing that's bugging me is that the writers keep referring to it as "The Trade".  As in, "It's been 25 years since The Trade."

If someone asked me about "The Trade", my first question would be, "Which one?"  Am I alone on this? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Re:

No, you are not alone. When I saw your post title "The Trade", my first thoughts were the Espo trade to NY.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re:

The Trade?

Chris Bourque for Zach Hamill?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re:

Lots of big trades have taken place over the history of the league.  But trading the greatest offensive player in the history of the game certainly got people's attention so I can understand it being classified as it was.  

I also thought of Espo, as well as Neely

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Re:

And Crowls for the win.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re:

I was afraid it was another Joe Thornton thread.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The Trade

I don't know, the epic Riendeau and Cantin for Mottau and Rolston deal sent away maybe the most talked-about ECHL superstar the Bruins have ever signed as an overage free agent.  That's gotta contend, right Crowls?

But the Gretzky deal is absolutely The Trade.  It was that incredibly rare thing - the best player in the game, captain of the four time Cup championship team coming off his second Conn Smythe trophy (and a bucket of other hardware), so still in his prime - is dealt.  He's dealt from a Canadian team to an American team primarily because hockey salaries are about to explode, and Pocklington needs cash, not an operating loss.  It was the precursor of every "trade him now and get something for him" deal we've seen since free agency (hard to remember this was before the era of modern free agency). He's dealt for cash as well as a number of prospects, but there's no hope that the return will match what Gretzky meant to Edmonton.

It was a watershed for the game, but even moreso for pro hockey in Canada.  It was the canary in the coal mine for the demise of the Nords and Jets, for an era of hockey where the number Cups Gretzky won is one more than the total number of Cups won by Canadian teams since the trade.

The Esposito trade was one of the top players in the game for veterans.  Neely was a great deal for the Bruins, but I wouldn't think of it as The Trade any more than I'd say Cullen, Parker and Zalapski for Francis, Jennings and Samuelsson is the Trade even though it was that deal that made the Penguins a championship team.

Are you not entertained?!?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re:

"It was an attention-getter. Who is this 'Great One?'" California Amateur Hockey Association president Steven Laing said. "A lot of it had to do with talking about him as a kid growing up playing hockey. It gave a lot of kids [in California] the idea that they could do that too. And it grew from there.

"It certainly helps [today] having three NHL teams in California, which you would think is unheard of for a West Coast state." At the time of the trade, the Kings were the only NHL game in California. They were joined by the San Jose Sharks (1992) and the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (1994).

With many of those Californian children who were part of the Gretzky-led boom now grown up, the true impact of the trade on hockey in the state is evident. Jonathon Blum, who was born less than six months after the trade and grew up in Long Beach, mere miles away from the Forum, was chosen 23rd by the Nashville Predators at the 2007 NHL Draft. That selection made him the first California-born-and-raised player to be taken in the first round of the draft.

Three years later, two California-born players were taken in the draft's opening round: Beau Bennett by the Pittsburgh Penguins and Emerson Etem by the hometown Ducks. And that's only the tip of the iceberg for an emerging California hockey program.

Across the hockey landscape, Californians are contributing at every level. In 2002-03, there were 20 Californians playing Division I college hockey, which ranked the Golden State behind Alaska, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Wisconsin. By the 2012-13 season, California had leapfrogged each of those states with 59 Division I players, ranking the state seventh in the nation, according to College Hockey Inc.

Quinnipiac University, the top-ranked team in the country much of the season, featured three California-born players when it made its way to the Frozen Four championship game.

In perhaps the biggest win for California hockey since the Gretzky trade, Santa Margarita Catholic High School -- located less than 60 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles -- won the USA Hockey National High School Championship in March.

Stanley Cup victories by the Ducks and Kings have contributed to this growth. But the seeds were planted with the Gretzky trade. "It helped incredibly. If you look at youth hockey now in California, they can compare to teams back East. They're good players there," said Rogie Vachon, who as a former player and general manager with the Kings has been watching hockey grow in California for 40 years. "We knew having the best player in the game coming to Los Angeles [was big]. All of a sudden everything picked up. Parents were saying, 'Maybe my son should be playing hockey.' It created so much interest in California, it was incredible."

It was a seminal moment for hockey in the United States, something that was never considered at the time of the trade."

Correct it should not be called ""The Trade", In California it should be called "California GOLD". All started with Jerry Buss tapping Peter Poklington on the shoulder at the draft one year.

I've never seen the info, an actual count of hockey rinks that sprouted up after Orr came to Boston but it has to be allot. I do remember seeing construction of quite a few, new MDC rinks in the early 70s around the Boston Metro area as a kid.

Amazing what the popularity of two great hockey players can do for a huge populous area.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re:

I'm not looking at it in magnitude or result, Book, but more of actual moniker.  I think in order to refer to something as such, it should be known by that moniker by most. 

In society today, people seem to be trying to give things nicknames instead of nicknames coming about naturally.  The worst these days is the "pulled a ..." when something happens twice.

Player holds out.  He pulled a Tkachuk.

Bad goal from center ice.  Pulled an Osgood.

Killed a friend with a bullet.  Pulled a Hernandez.

More than ever, it seems like this is appearing everywhere.  It's not as prevalent as "kick the tires" but it's getting there.

Anyway, back to the point.  A girl with a huge rack concealed by a typical Florida tank top just walked into this office.  Be back later.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Anyway, back to the point.  A girl with a huge rack concealed by a typical Florida tank top just walked into this office.  Be back later.

Don't pull a Ben Roethlisberger...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re:

NAS - blame TSN.  I think they've been referring to it as "The Trade" for most of the last 25 years.  Partly for the reasons I mentioned, partly for the reasons SanDog mentions.

I feel the same way about "The Catch".  Dwight Clark's fingertips to toe tips catch was great, and it won a Superbowl, but I can think of a few cases where you could say the same thing of catches that looked a heck of a lot more difficult.

So - I dislike when things are nicknamed "The ---" as though no other thing of that type compares, though I never questioned why TSN would pick the Gretzky trade as "The Trade".  And I agree on "pulling a [Roethlisberger - point to Fletch]", but isn't it just an extension of the ridiculous abuse of comparison in sports media?  Seguin is like Yzerman only not.  Marchand is like Linseman only not.  Bergeron is like Goring only not.  Wow, a defenseman laid a big hit - Stevensian!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re:

Can you post a pic of the huge rack?

I would call the Grezky trade "The Trade".  One thing that stands out to me now looking at The Trade, is how good Jimmy Carson was before The Trade.  55 goals as a teenager?  The most ever before age 20?  I know it was the 80's, but wow!  I'm amazed anyone would trade that even for Gretzky.  Also amazed how badly his career tanked from the pressue in Edmonton.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re:

I can't call it The Trade - it was a massive moment for hockey, but that's too common a moniker. I agree it's TSN that has tried to popularize it.

The only "the" moment I can think of in hockey is "The Goal," which I've heard my whole life in reference to Orr's Cup winner, however even that's not set in stone as I've heard Henderson's winner in '72 referred to with the same singular.

I'd rather my sports moment nicknames have a bit more creativity behind them - Miracle on Ice, Rumble in the Jungle, the Hand of God, Immaculate Reception etc.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re:

In response to red75's comment:

I can't call it The Trade - it was a massive moment for hockey, but that's too common a moniker. I agree it's TSN that has tried to popularize it.

The only "the" moment I can think of in hockey is "The Goal," which I've heard my whole life in reference to Orr's Cup winner, however even that's not set in stone as I've heard Henderson's winner in '72 referred to with the same singular.

I'd rather my sports moment nicknames have a bit more creativity behind them - Miracle on Ice, Rumble in the Jungle, the Hand of God, Emaculate Reception etc.

whaaaa???

Immaculate reception maybe?

You should feel shame.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I feel the same way about "The Catch".  Dwight Clark's fingertips to toe tips catch was great, and it won a Superbowl, but I can think of a few cases where you could say the same thing of catches that looked a heck of a lot more difficult.

My first thought was Willie Mays.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re:

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I'd rather my sports moment nicknames have a bit more creativity behind them - Miracle on Ice, Rumble in the Jungle, the Hand of God, Emaculate Reception etc.

whaaaa???

Immaculate reception maybe?

You should feel shame.

Yeah, I caught it as soon as I posted it - and beat you to the edit, but yeah - feel kind of dumb on that one. Maybe I just felt like using old English?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re:

The Trade ...for me 2 trades were probably the saddest days of my life as a Bruins fan 

Bobby Orr going to Chicago ....my heart was bleeding ( black & gold)

Phil Esposito & Vadnais for Ratelle & Park ....I remember I was crying (no kidding) ...but after a few weeks the trade has revealed itself being good for the Bruins..

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 4 more Cups by 2020

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re:

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

The Trade ...for me 2 trades were probably the saddest days of my life as a Bruins fan 

Phil Esposito & Vadnais for Ratelle & Park ....I remember I was crying (no kidding) ...but after a few weeks the trade has revealed itself being good for the Bruins..

I get the upset, but that wasn't a trade.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Re:

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

Red, how many times have you personally explained that this was not a trade on this board?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re:

I've lost count. But the facts never seem to stick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re:

Yes it was.  Ask Rusty.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re:

I hope he's not like the Candyman where saying his name makes him appear.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Re:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I hope he's not like the Candyman where saying his name makes him appear.

you hope who isnt like candyman, book?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re:

That Freddy guy got me with this...not falling for it again!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re:

The golden goal.  

Sections
Shortcuts