The Turk's life story....attempt #3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

The Turk's life story....attempt #3

Might make my Christmas wish list.  Should be entertaining.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408905

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: The Turk's life story....attempt #3

Yes!  A story about a boozing coke head who lost it all and slept on park benches for a while.

But, he's a Bruins legend, so let's hold him up high.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes!  A story about a boozing coke head who lost it all and slept on park benches for a while.

But, he's a Bruins legend, so let's hold him up high.

[/QUOTE]

Yea Bah Humbug! Eh Ebenezer? lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The comeback with the help from Bobby Orr will be the best part. They showed the last game at the ol Garden against Montreal on NHL Network a week ago. It was nice seeing old film of Derek calling the game. Bobby Orr did the right thing he helped an ol friend out of a bad rut.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The comeback with the help from Bobby Orr will be the best part. They showed the last game at the ol Garden against Montreal on NHL Network a week ago. It was nice seeing old film of Derek calling the game. Bobby Orr did the right thing he helped an ol friend out of a bad rut.

[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute...I can't imagine Bobby doing something like that...He's a sleazy agent!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wait a minute...I can't imagine Bobby doing something like that...He's a sleazy agent!

[/QUOTE]

At that time, he wasn't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

One of the few players who used the sweep check as an effective defensive tool . The only others I recall being good at this were Dave Keon and Bobby Clarke. It's something you don't see anymore.

I'll definitely read this book down the road.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Lots of people f up their life with booze/drugs etc. but not all of them redeem themselves. Derek has. I don't admire the guy for being a moron for a chunk of his life but I do admire how he's fixed his life and is by all accounts a very good man since getting cleaned up. The book should be a good read.

I'm sure Bobby will insist on a comped copy or he won't read it, being the rotten scum bag that he is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

before the WHA came calling offering boatloads of cash, the Turk was as important a cog on the Big Bad Bruins as any player not named Orr or Espo.... at the time he was the B'S best two-way forward, top penalty killer and shutdown-line center....  could've easily been second-line pivot too, had as much offensive flair as Fred Stanfield if not more....

can't wait to read the book....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

At that time, he wasn't.

[/QUOTE]

I Know NAS, but you know I had to get that dig in there. You would've too if it was the other way around. Cheers Bud!!lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Hey, I was looking for a good book regarding hockey, anyone have any good ones to recommend? I ready the Martin Brodeur book, it was terrific. A little take from it that I found funny was in the year of the 2006 Olympics, the Devils are playing the Leafs in November, Brodeur gets run by a Leaf and Darcy Tucker tells Brodeur that he's hoping Marty is ok cause they are going to need him for the Olympics. Brodeur then asks him what makes him think he is going to be on the team.

Any good books please let me know, also, has anyone seen the Last Gladiators? I want to see it but cant find a theatre around here has has it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Good sports books?

I didn't like any I've read, none had very much of anything that I didn't already know.

And as far as the antics go, all you ever had to do was be involved in sports at some point in your life that did any kind of travelling and it's all the same except they can afford bigger damage bills and all that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Other than books, for movies net worth and slapshot, the rest were awful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was just looking for books that are hockey related. Thanks though bad.

Just slapshot? I though Miracle was excellent and for non-hockey 61* is one of my favorites. Billy Crystal did a fantastic job with that one.

Non hockey sports books that I liked.

1. Juiced, Vindicated (also by Canseco), Feeding The Monster, Moneyball and The Final Season (Bill Parcells), Education Of A Coach (Belichick) and Patriot Reign. All good reads.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was just looking for books that are hockey related. Thanks though bad.

Just slapshot? I though Miracle was excellent and for non-hockey 61* is one of my favorites. Billy Crystal did a fantastic job with that one.

Non hockey sports books that I liked.

1. Juiced, Vindicated (also by Canseco), Feeding The Monster, Moneyball and The Final Season (Bill Parcells), Education Of A Coach (Belichick) and Patriot Reign. All good reads.

[/QUOTE]

Kel, another non-hockey book you might find interesting is Loose Balls: The Short, Wild Life of the American Basketball Association by Terry Pluto.  For hockey you probably already know about The Game by Ken Dryden and Stephen Brunt's excellent Searching For Bobby Orr. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

These are the hockey books in my library & I love everyone of them.

1) The Code

2) Playing with Fire- Fleury's book

3) Saving Face (about goalie mask you & Soxfan will love it Kel)

4) The Final Call- Kerry Fraser's book

5) Hockey Dreams - written by an author from my hometown. We can all relate! 

6) Midnight Hockey- For anyone who's played beer league This book is funny as he!!

7) Between the Lines- Ray Scampinello's book

My favouite in the bunch is Midnight Hockey. So relative to the average Joe. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Ron McLean's "Cornered" wasn't a bad read.  Some insights into Don and Ron and almost getting fired several times. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

http://www.amazon.com/Pavel-Bure-Riddle-Russian-Rocket/dp/1550547143

Pavel Bure::  The Riddle of the Russian Rocket

http://www.amazon.com/Cracked-Ice-Insiders-Look-Turmoil/dp/0788153358/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352378590&sr=1-1&keywords=cracked+ice+stan

Stan Fischler breaks down the '94-95 lockout.

http://www.amazon.com/Sawchuk-Troubles-Triumphs-Worlds-Greatest/dp/0773760644/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352378601&sr=1-1&keywords=sawchuk

Great Terry Sawchuk biography

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to scooter244's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ron McLean's "Cornered" wasn't a bad read.  Some insights into Don and Ron and almost getting fired several times. 

[/QUOTE]

Yea, it was a good read! And I loved how the Canadian people came together & basically changed CBC's mind about re-signing him. He's the best & I can't wait for his next Bettman interivew! He drives Gary NUTS!! lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Am in the process of reading the book now. Nothing great but an interesting read. One interesting claim he makes is that he won approx 90% of his faceoffs. No stats kept then though. Given that the league leader now wins about 60%, even if he's off by quite a bit... very impressive.  I didn't know about his role in getting rid of the reserve clause either.

No Pulitzer prizes on the horizon but an entertaining distraction.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

just started "the boys of winter" written by wayne coffey. literally 20 pages deep, so can't give a review. it's supposed to be the untold story of a coach, a dream, and the 1980 us olympic hockey team( what it says on the cover atleast). not sure of how much hasn't been told already, but it's a good read so far. how can you go wrong reading about one of the greatest hockey(dare i say sports) stories of all-time.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Jeremy Roenick was on one of the Canadian morning shows promoting his new book today.

J.R.: My Life as the Most Outspoken, Fearless, and Hard-Hitting Man in Hockey

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jeremy Roenick was on one of the Canadian morning shows promoting his new book today.

[/QUOTE]

Chowda - I heard him this afternoon being interviewed by Bob McCown.  Said he spent most of his career being an arrogant jackass who didn't listen to anyone.  1,216 points in 1,363 games.  Not too shabby.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Chowda - I heard him this afternoon being interviewed by Bob McCown.  Said he spent most of his career being an arrogant jackass who didn't listen to anyone.  1,216 points in 1,363 games.  Not too shabby.   

[/QUOTE]

Looks like his broadcasting career is headed on the same path. Good ! He will be entertaining.

Sections
Shortcuts