The Unwritten Rule

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Unwritten Rule

Up 6-0 with six minutes left in the third period yesterday, the Bruins send out Krejci, Seguin, Lucic, Bergeron and Chara on the powerplay.  Chara scores.  7-0.

With five minutes left in a lopsided 5-1 game for Dallas, Atlanta's Anthony Stewart takes a penalty. Dallas puts Morrow, Richards and Ribeiro out there.  When they fail to score, out comes Benn, Ott, and Neal and Dallas scores again. 6-1

Can someone please tell me how "you don't play your PP1 or PP2 when the game is basically decided" exists as an unwritten rule?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDecision. Show TheDecision's posts

Re: The Unwritten Rule

The game is over...who cares if they get another one...you might as well work on your powerplay instead of sending out useless players

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to The Unwritten Rule:
    [QUOTE]Up 6-0 with six minutes left in the third period yesterday, the Bruins send out Krejci, Seguin, Lucic, Bergeron and Chara on the powerplay.  Chara scores.  7-0. With five minutes left in a lopsided 5-1 game for Dallas, Atlanta's Anthony Stewart takes a penalty. Dallas puts Morrow, Richards and Ribeiro out there.  When they fail to score, out comes Benn, Ott, and Neal and Dallas scores again. 6-1 Can someone please tell me how "you don't play your PP1 or PP2 when the game is basically decided" exists as an unwritten rule?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    No one can tell you anything.Everyone else has stopped talking about it (agreed to disagree).Did you ever bother to look up the ice time for the 4th liners on the PP in blowout games? Obviously the Bruins were trying to get Chara the hat trick and don't mind sending a message to the Canes since the game had gotten somewhat chippy.Some coach might send out his 1st or 2nd PP in a 6 goal game but most won't.I don't know what you need to hear.You're very smart and everyone loves everything you have to say.Bring it up again next week and we can have the same conversation over again as it is so stimulating.Bow down to the mighty NAS.How dare anyone disagree with a theory in which NAS feels does not exist?The nerve of some of these people.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

NAS, while I agree that there is really no "unwritten rule" about, some coaches do it just out of respect for the other team, or to reward the 4th liners who have worked hard. Nobody will think of a team differently if they do put their top PP. I think its just more to reward the 4th liners

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Up 6-0 with six minutes left in the third period yesterday, the Bruins send out Krejci, Seguin, Lucic, Bergeron and Chara on the powerplay.  Chara scores.  7-0. With five minutes left in a lopsided 5-1 game for Dallas, Atlanta's Anthony Stewart takes a penalty. Dallas puts Morrow, Richards and Ribeiro out there.  When they fail to score, out comes Benn, Ott, and Neal and Dallas scores again. 6-1 Can someone please tell me how "you don't play your PP1 or PP2 when the game is basically decided" exists as an unwritten rule?
    If Julien puts out the 4th . I have feeling you wouldn't approve of that either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: The Unwritten Rule:
    [QUOTE]In Response to The Unwritten Rule : Did you ever bother to look up the ice time for the 4th liners on the PP in blowout games?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I'm trying!

11/3/10, Carolina vs. NYI, Carolina up 5-1

10:09  
    CAR
    PPG - Jeff Skinner (4) Wrist Shot - Assists: E. Staal (5) & C. LaRose (4)

11/9/10, Carolina vs EDM:  bum line put out late in 7-1 game.

One game they do one thing, then they do another. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Hockey Gods...they exist N-O-T.  You know that bad Karma vibe.  In a meaningless lop sided win I wouldnt put my top guys on.  UNLESS.  The penalty was a cheap chicken "tihs" penalty.  then I load up again.  I think for Charas sake you put him on.  And the fact the B's PP has been el-crap-ola.

Thats my 2 cents

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

LMFAO thought this would have came yesterday I was waiting for it.

They were trying to get Z the hat  trick, preserve shutout with puck control and there is no love lost between these 2 as it showed again tonight. I was hoping they would pile it on yest.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The B's followed the rule against Ottawa because the Sens kept it classy and  so they had campbell's line out for the whole pp.  Against the canes, it was getting sour so there was no pitty and they wanted the hat trick for the big man.  Different game, different opponent, different unwritten rules.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

College football coaches put their third string out on the field up 35-0 in the 4th quarter, don't pass but keep scoring. If I'm the winning coach and the opposing coach says to me at midfield "you kinda ran it up there eh ?" I say "field a better team so it doesn't look so bad".

Paul Maurice most certainly would have run it up on Julien if in the same position as he hates the Bruins with a passion. The more the Bruins can rub it into Carolina a dangerous team in the playoffs do it! Sweep the leg Johnny!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I've had lots of coaches that would put out non PP players out there whenever we were up by 4 or more. Depending on the team we were playing it would be for different reasons.

Didin't want to rub it in any more than necessary because there will come a time when you're on the other end of it.

Did it to ACTUALLY rub it in the face & pee the other team off. In other words some teams take offence to 4th liners, or weaker players out there because it's a slap to the face. It's can be taken as a "Here you go guys. We'll play our weaker guys to give you a chance!" And YES this does take place in the NHL. According to my buddy Matty.

Did it because the other team is getting chippy & didn't want liberties to taken out on star players.

Some coaches keep using the #1 & 2 unit no matter what because if the PP is on a roll. You want to keep that going & have lots of examples to go on when the PP starts to falter. You want as many examples as possible to look at.

Sections
Shortcuts