The Virginia Beach Flyers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The Virginia Beach Flyers?

I've read a lot of articles about relocation over the last 7 years, and tonnes of ideas about it from elected officials, but this the LOOPIEST damn thing I've ever read on the topic. http://wtvr.com/2012/09/14/virginia-beach-sacramento-kings/ The key point is at the bottom of the article "The Virginia Pilot reported Virginia Beach Mayor William Sessoms was in Philadelphia Thursday to discuss details of building an arena and still feels confident a professional team would relocate to his city. The NBA said it has no plans of expanding its league. Mayor Sessoms expressed interest in bringing a National Hockey League team to Hampton Roads. Virginia Beach is in talks with Comcast-Spectator to build an arena. Comcast-Spectator owns the NHL’s Philadelphia Flyers."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: The Virginia Beach Flyers?

Sorry something went wrong with that post - here's the quoted part again, spaced out.

The Virginia Pilot reported Virginia Beach Mayor William Sessoms was in Philadelphia Thursday to discuss details of building an arena and still feels confident a professional team would relocate to his city.

The NBA said it has no plans of expanding its league. Mayor Sessoms expressed interest in bringing a National Hockey League team to Hampton Roads.

Virginia Beach is in talks with Comcast-Spectator to build an arena. Comcast-Spectator owns the NHL’s Philadelphia Flyers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Virginia Beach????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yah Red there are already other cities basically on a waiting list for an NBA franchise but only for ones that might move becuase it is struggling financially. Virginia is a Commonwealth like Massachusetts so that crazy Mayor will not get a dime from the state good luck on that one. I would not be suprised if that wack job mayor was up for re-election and in need of some publicity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yah Red there are already other cities basically on a waiting list for an NBA franchise but only for ones that might move becuase it is struggling financially. Virginia is a Commonwealth like Massachusetts so that crazy Mayor will not get a dime from the state good luck on that one. I would not be suprised if that wack job mayor was up for re-election and in need of some publicity.

[/QUOTE]

Hampton Roads is one of my favourite regions of the US, I've vacationed there three times, but this mayor is smoking something unbelievably strong if he thinks he could get an NHL team to move there, let alone the FLYERS. Wack job is right San.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think it's awesome, I'd like it even better if the Flyers would move the franchise to some small island off the coast.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

and then sink the island, BadHab.

Maybe, and that is a humongous maybe, a team could be successful in VB, IF you marketed the holy heck out of it, steal as many hockey fans away from other regional teams like the Caps and Canes, keep "Virginia" out of the name so as not to alienate the massive portion of your fan base that would have to come from NC (VB is only 500,000 whereas the greater Hampton Roads area is 1.6 m) convince the sports fans in Langley to care about hockey, and if the mayor pulled off a political miracle and was able to spread the cost of the rink in some sort of deal with the other municipalities in the GMA.

But if you're that mayor, why take the risk on the rink? You could have a success or you could end up in the same boat as Glendale.

And if you're the NHL, why would VB appeal to you? You've already got a team in DC and NC, and the odds of success are 50/50 at best, and there are more concrete markets just begging for a team.

It's a lunatic idea

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

They're just idiots.

We should try to pony up some fake money and try to scam them into talking to us about putting a team in Haiti or Jamaica and then blow the lid off of it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

i know you're trying to fight the troll, but can you try to keep the active conversations up top?

10. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts