The way NOT to build a team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: The way NOT to build a team

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to cowboys9's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I see hemsky is playin.   i would be dealing him for cap relief and a pick/prospect.  Id give smyth away.  Ditto for whitney and horcoff would be bought out In the summer.  

depending where the oilers draft this year they may be able to deal it for a decent dman.

i thought the perfect opportunity for this move should have been done with last years top pick.
    They already had Hall, Eberle, Hopkins , Gagne and really did not need Yakopov... They could have fetched a real good return  for him and help fill some badly needed holes in their lineup...

This is what i mean, Tambellni is paid to make moves to improve the team, not just take the consensus overall #1 pick. He's got to be forward thinking and part of that is the Oilers didn't need more offence.

I would have drafted Yako.  He was the best player available.  He did sign schultz and did trade for one.  So he has attempted to improve the back end.  Yako could have been dealt for a solid dman but they signed JS.  And he is a very good young dman.  I think they need more snarl back there.

I think his job has been easy.  Draft top picks and use the excuse of time to bond.  Well i think that hasnt worked.  I think they get rid of the old players that arent seen as leaders.  

I will sy this.  If they land the 2-4th pick they have to take drouin mckinnon or the russian.  Id try and pry myers outta buffalo.  I still see him as a franchise dman.  Then go trade for tallinder in NJ.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

There is Edmonton, once again, one point away from the worst record in the league. Just look at their roster and laugh at salary cap hell realized.

Next years cap.. not including another potential number 1 pick.

Shawn Horcoff the one time 22 goal scorer @ $5.5 million

Ales "the tease" Hemsky 23 goals tops @ $5 million

RNH @ $3.775 million

Nail Yakupov @ $3.775 million

Taylor Hall @ $6 million

Jordon Eberle @ $6 million

Some definite talent, but nearly half the next year's cap on 2 lines.. sick.

In Chia we trust.

The oilers problem is leadership.  Bringing Smyth back was a mistake.  The oilers of the 80s had great leadership for all the kids.  All the young guns they have i dont see a true leader.  

G- they dont have a number one.  

D- they arent physical enough back there.  Some nice pieces but they need a stud back there.  No true 1-2 guy at this pt.  

F- not big enough.  Their top 2 lines are mega skill with zero sand paper.  hemsky should have been dealt, horcoff will be a buyout likely along with Smyth.  

i think they will make a splash by deadline.  They might be able to deal smyth to a contender.  hemsky if back could be dealt as well.  

I dont think they will get the number one overall but really need seth jones.  

So Justin Schultz is one in the making, shup? 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

D- they arent physical enough back there.  Some nice pieces but they need a stud back there.  No true 1-2 guy at this pt.  

I'm not overly impressed with Schultz in the 4-5 games I've seen.  He's as likely to be M-A Bergeron or Mark Streit as he is to be a 1 or a 2.  They're going to forcefeed the guy opportunity just like they did with Brewer years ago, and we'll see.  In the end, all he cost them was money, and they can afford to have an offensive weapon on the back end if they can also fix the rest of their problems.  There's a team that needs a Chris Kelly or a Danny Paille.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Actually, that's part of the problem.  They need solid, not spectacular.  Yes, they need top end D who can play 25 min and more of shutdown against top lines; yes they need a reliable goalie for the long term; but they would be so much better off if they just had a solid, steady group of 3rd liners and 3-4 D men.  But the kick is that they're shopping at WalMart with a pocket full of $1K bills.  What GM in his right mind would trade Yakupov for Kelly, Boychuk and a pick? 

That's pretty much what Cliff Fletcher did trading Brett Hull for Rob Ramage, and it was a key turning point in the Flames winning their only Cup.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Eberle contract looks expensive, but he's a heck of a player as well.  Edmonton's problem isn't that their forwards are too good, or that their forwards aren't tough enough or that they are getting paid too much.  It's that their defense and their goaltending suck.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The forwards don't make defense any easier, though, and the Oiler "style" makes the D they have look a lot worse.  Smid and Petry in particular would be about as good as Boychuk playing in a system like Boston's.  

I'm thinking about the way Burns played the living daylights out of Tim Taylor, Rob Dimaio and Axelsson and what a really sound third line would do for that team to stabilize games for them and maybe, just maybe, keep them from falling behind 2-0 all the time.  They don't have that kind of player in their forward mix, other than maybe Horcoff. 

The other problem is that they have the 5 guys under 23 plus Hemsky for a top six, all guys with great skill but they can't score 5 on 5.  They need someone who can help them change that by creating some space out there. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

The Eberle contract looks expensive, but he's a heck of a player as well.  Edmonton's problem isn't that their forwards are too good, or that their forwards aren't tough enough or that they are getting paid too much.  It's that their defense and their goaltending suck.

No it doesn't! Dube has faced the 4th highest shots in his 21 games & he's got a better SP% than Carey Price. Goaltending isn't the OIlers problem. I've watched every single game they played this yr. Yes, they've had some tough games, but that isn't the Oilers biggest issue! This time you don't have a clue what you're talking about! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I'm not overly impressed with Schultz in the 4-5 games I've seen.  He's as likely to be M-A Bergeron or Mark Streit as he is to be a 1 or a 2.  They're going to forcefeed the guy opportunity just like they did with Brewer years ago, and we'll see.  In the end, all he cost them was money, and they can afford to have an offensive weapon on the back end if they can also fix the rest of their problems.  There's a team that needs a Chris Kelly or a Danny Paille.

Id take mark streit anyday.  I agree on the brewer comparison.  Which is why drafting someone isnt the best idea.  Id target a few veterans like a hall gill.  They need a leader in that room.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

NAS. I agree on the last two comment.  But their fwds are all the same and dont play in their own end.  Which doesnt make it easy on the backend.  Small skilled fwds.  This isnt nintendo hockey where the small skinny guys can wheel around.  You need those medium and big fat guys that can muck it up. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

NAS. I agree on the last two comment.  But their fwds are all the same and dont play in their own end.  Which doesnt make it easy on the backend.  Small skilled fwds.  This isnt nintendo hockey where the small skinny guys can wheel around.  You need those medium and big fat guys that can muck it up. 

That is a great analogy. My thoughts on making the post originally was about this very point. Highly skilled, and very expensive, but no "fat and medium guys" to get the dirty work done. Thats the beauty of the, to coin a phrase, "the Chiarelli model". The sum is far greater than the parts and you can definitely say the opposite about the way Tambellini has constructed his roster. There is absolutely no excuse to have the draft position the Oilers have had in the first and second rounds the past three years-  7 picks in the top 32 combined- and not have a playoff team through drafting or dealing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

That is a great analogy. My thoughts on making the post originally was about this very point. Highly skilled, and very expensive, but no "fat and medium guys" to get the dirty work done. Thats the beauty of the, to coin a phrase, "the Chiarelli model". The sum is far greater than the parts and you can definitely say the opposite about the way Tambellini has constructed his roster. There is absolutely no excuse to have the draft position the Oilers have had in the first and second rounds the past three years-  7 picks in the top 32 combined- and not have a playoff team through drafting or dealing.

Agree with this.  He has a big deadline and draft coming up.  They have a lot of porche and bmws and no jeeps and honda accords. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

And your wrong on half of this too! The forwards can fly & they showed that last night, but they're one dimensional. They go top speed on the offense & half speed on the defence. Last night again if it wasn't for Dube (1st goal mis-cue not withstanding) & Denis the Blackhawks would've tied the game. It's that way for 90% of their losses. Absolutely nothing wrong with this teams goaltending. They're not the reason for the losing record. In Fla. Yes it is. In Vancouver lately it has been the issue too, but not on the Oilers. 

And Horcoff & Smyth are the muckers that aren't mucking. Montreal is probably the smallest team in the league & they're pulling it off. Speed kills, but not if your only using your speed in one direction. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

And your wrong on half of this too! The forwards can fly & they showed that last night, but they're one dimensional. They go top speed on the offense & half speed on the defence. Last night again if it wasn't for Dube (1st goal mis-cue not withstanding) & Denis the Blackhawks would've tied the game. It's that way for 90% of their losses. Absolutely nothing wrong with this teams goaltending. They're not the reason for the losing record. In Fla. Yes it is. In Vancouver lately it has been the issue too, but not on the Oilers. 

And Horcoff & Smyth are the muckers that aren't mucking. Montreal is probably the smallest team in the league & they're pulling it off. Speed kills, but not if your only using your speed in one direction. 

Montreal is well coached and they have a stud goalie and very good back end.  When you can get outta your end with one pass or someone who is mobile it helps.  Montreal may be small but they are playing big.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Montreal is well coached and they have a stud goalie and very good back end.  When you can get outta your end with one pass or someone who is mobile it helps.  Montreal may be small but they are playing big.  

Got to agree with this assessment of the Habs. Give credit where credit is due. That said, I can see them being pounded into submission in a playoff series by a bigger team, especially if Prust is done for the season. Their D, though skilled, is not big or tough and a player like Lucic will have his way with them in a 7 game series.

As for Edmonton....they are a lost cause. Nothing to see here, move on.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Got to agree with this assessment of the Habs. Give credit where credit is due. That said, I can see them being pounded into submission in a playoff series by a bigger team, especially if Prust is done for the season. Their D, though skilled, is not big or tough and a player like Lucic will have his way with them in a 7 game series.

If Lucic can do it smartly.  I agree.  They dont have a meathead back there but are pretty tough. Not fighting wise but gorges markov emelin and pk try and hit.  Prust moen and donkeydick white play with edge.  But even max, gionta and eller play with Jam. 

I think montreal is for real.  Their pp is deadly.  I would love to play them.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

If Lucic can do it smartly.  I agree.  They dont have a meathead back there but are pretty tough. Not fighting wise but gorges markov emelin and pk try and hit.  Prust moen and donkeydick white play with edge.  But even max, gionta and eller play with Jam. 

We can definitely agree on this. It likely will not happen in the first round but a CF matchup would be terrific!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

And there's no reason the Oilers can't do the same. Last night Hall turned away from hitting Hossa! Hossa's a brick kiefhouse, but Hall can't be turning away from hitting someone like that. Thank Gawd the Oilers have Smid on the back end, because he's the only d-man that does anything to help. I thought Fistric was a far better d-man than he's showing, but maybe he's just having a Ference type of year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

He didn't in 2011.

And with Oilers there's plenty to see when they play their skilled game. They're awesome to watch. But, they're extremly painful to watch on most nights when they don't control the puck. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Yea when he has someone to protect him! Don't give this crybaby any credit Shupe. He's a disgrace to the sport, 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And there's no reason the Oilers can't do the same. Last night Hall turned away from hitting Hossa! Hossa's a brick kiefhouse, but Hall can't be turning away from hitting someone like that. Thank Gawd the Oilers have Smid on the back end, because he's the only d-man that does anything to help. I thought Fistric was a far better d-man than he's showing, but maybe he's just having a Ference type of year.

Fistric is a 5-6 at best.  Smid plays hard...i like him.  But as i said montreal is very good on the back end and a great goalie.  Makes life easy for fwds.  But we dont want our skill guys banging bc we have brutes.  oilers top 6 has no one that as a dman i would worry about unless they have the puck.  They need a clowe like player in the mix.  

They are very soft.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

He didn't in 2011.

And with Oilers there's plenty to see when they play their skilled game. They're awesome to watch. But, they're extremly painful to watch on most nights when they don't control the puck. 

You are right about this. I am out West and see most of their games. They just look like a developmental camp out there for most games....not the best way to the playoffs. They need sandpaper, another 1A goalie to pressure Dubnyk when he is having an off game (especially now since he is injured) and some respectable veterans on D to help the kids.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Yea when he has someone to protect him! Don't give this crybaby any credit Shupe. He's a disgrace to the sport, 

I agree.  I cant stand him.  But hes been sticking his nose in.  the entire group is and thats what a prust can do for them.  Look at kadri.  Dude has watermellons bc he has the support to do it.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

You are right about this. I am out West and see most of their games. They just look like a developmental camp out there for most games....not the best way to the playoffs. They need sandpaper, another 1A goalie to pressure Dubnyk when he is having an off game (especially now since he is injured) and some respectable veterans on D to help the kids.

Not to argue your point JM, but if you look at the past & even this season. DD play's better when Khabby is injured. He lost his starters role this year, because Khabby was playing unbelievable.  Then Khabby got hurt. Then Devon picked up his game. I 100% agree about no sandpaper. Smyth is supposed to be a par tof that, but he was scratched a few times this season & isn't seeing eye to eye with Kruger. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I agree.  I cant stand him.  But hes been sticking his nose in.  the entire group is and thats what a prust can do for them.  Look at kadri.  Dude has watermellons bc he has the support to do it.  

[/QUOTE]

Yea, but I like Kadri..lol! Patches is like a Lapuke in my book! Just wanna go thru the screen and choke the fu'ker!