"there looking for the exit wound!"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re:

My freind said his farts were heavier than normal last Friday.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Re:

When I was reading on the "heavy shot" theory and the bit about spin making it "heavier" the person (forget who and where) seemed to intimate that the surface area of the puck striking the object made a difference. Im not so sure, but it seems plausible that a harder spinning puck will strike its target across a slightly wider area than a non-spinning puck.

Bring on bone-jarring hits and the biscuit in the basket...My head hurts from all this maths and stuff.

Let's go Bruins!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

Re:

Funny, back in '87 (had to look it up) I remember a comentator saying that Reed Larson had the heaviest shot he had ever seen and I always wondered what that meant...thanks for clearing it up for me folks!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Re:

Kinetic energy theory (1/2 x mv^2) is based on a non-rotating object. Torque (Radius x Force) is another form of force, and must be also taken into consideration.

I've taken a few physics courses in high school and college (been 8 years since I've taken a course, so I forget all the ways to apply them), and thus I know that nothing is simple to examine when measuring energy or force. Obviously, the major force in a shot is the linear force (10 oz. puck x 100MPH shot squared). I do know also that the spin will cause the puck to be more aerodynamic, allowing the puck to sustain the same speed for a longer time. I don't think that's as relevant when it's a disc being shot from 50 feet away, as opposed to a baseball, where the spin is critical; see how long a knuckleball stays in the air at the same speed as a fastball, or how far a round rock goes as opposed to a flat rock when you throw it.

I think there may be an argument that the spin also puts a small amount of extra force into a shot, although I don't believe it makes an effect on how "heavy" it feels to a goaltender or anything like that. It may be minor in terms of how hard it hits the goalie on impact, but not a discerning difference either way. I do think that, due to the conservation of energy, that it may be harder to control for a goalie, producing more rebounds (a lesser-spinning shot off the pads will probably stop just in front of the pad, while the spin may force the puck off the pad further out).

This would be an interesting thing to do for the skills competition (although probably only eventful for hockey geeks like us) or just as a scientific experiment. Find guys with similar measured shots from the point (one who has a "heavy" shot, and one who seems to have a "lighter" shot), and make it a full length-of-the-ice shot. Measure the instantaneous velocity when it leaves the stick, and then the average velocity from when it leaves the stick until it hits the ice or the end boards to see if there's a discernable difference. Also, perhaps have a device that the puck hits, where it measures the full force felt by the puck, and compare similar speed shots from different players (heavy vs. lighter shots).

If the theory is debunked? Cool. I've always thought it was full of crap, and that the theory is pretty garbage. I think Boychuk's shot seems "heavier" than, say, Subban's shot is because Subban picks corners more often and doesn't hit goalies' chest as much, thus not leaving that lasting thought in a goalie's mind where they say "damn, that was heavy".

If it isn't? Stick companies should cash in and try to create a stick that creates more spin.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

Re:

Well apparently Joe Corvo has set the bar high...as per Craig Simpson tonight on HNIC "Joe Corvo has a heavy heavy shot". Wow!  Who knew. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re:

In response to Nolakanookie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well apparently Joe Corvo has set the bar high...as per Craig Simpson tonight on HNIC "Joe Corvo has a heavy heavy shot". Wow!  Who knew. 

[/QUOTE]

He also makes out with cross dressers, so whatever.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re:

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

To my recollection, supposedly, there are no shots that feel heavier then others. I'm wondering if Lehner agrees with this thought.

[/QUOTE]

just people who have never stood in front of a shot will say this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re:

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

To my recollection, supposedly, there are no shots that feel heavier then others. I'm wondering if Lehner agrees with this thought.

[/QUOTE]

just people who have never stood in front of a shot will say this.

[/QUOTE]

Very incorrect.  I played wing and some center (wasn't very good at the dot) and spent a lot of time on the PK. I stood in front of and blocked a lot of shots.

Chowda is just using his time out of the "home" to log in and be a dick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Re:

Could it be that Johnny B's shot just caught Lehner in a vulnerable spot?  I am not up on goalie pads (I played D and R wing), but they can't be the same thickness or density all over the body...can they? or can they shift a bit during play and expose a spot that is less protected? i.e. by the shoulder and collar bone...he could have been caught just right...puck with lots of force, thinner padding and bone...that would definitely leave you crying. Nothing to disperse the energy but flesh and bone.

Wishing each of you a Happy and Safe New Years!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

Re:

In response to pucman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jack Edwards after Boychuk drills one into Lehner.......only Jack could come up with this, he,s priceless!

[/QUOTE]

If Jack saw one, he would not say that.

Sections
Shortcuts