They must be drunk in Pittsburgh!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: They must be drunk in Pittsburgh!

In Response to Re: They must be drunk in Pittsburgh!:
    TT has never won in the playoffs.  He has choked heavily and he didnt start last yrs playoffs.  I would trust Fleury in our system which is much better on the back end.  He isnt a better money goalie, in fact I get very nervous with him in there b/c he can make the outstanding save and then flub an easy one.  Lundqvist isnt a better money goalie either.  Brysgalov is an amazing goalie.  But if it were for all the marbles no chance. Ward would be the only guy on that list I would consider above him or on the same playing field.  Regular season wins means nothing in the playoffs.  Miller would likely be my top goalie if I had to build a team and I believe he is the best goalie on the planet so I think he would fill in.  But he has stood the test of time.  The debate about putting him on a different team.  All of those teams play air tight trap hockey.  All of them.  Fleury is a world class goalie for a reason. 
    Posted by shuperman

Agreed.  I'd take Fleury in a heartbeat over TT.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

The just lost another D too, first they jetison Goligosky and not the lose Orpik.  I sense a 1st round exit.
    Posted by fordprefect

Trade Goligosky
    Lose Orpik
    Obtain Kovalev

3 events that hurt their defense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Wow. Well, we disagree. I see Tim Thomas being a guy who is really the reason Chiarelli was able to lure Chara here and has been under the radar for years, playing on a flawed team. In other words, Thomas was playing well above his market value and Chara could be lured here to help build. This might be the first time he's had two legit puck moving D Men (Wideman the other/Kaberle the better player) in front of him and players who can actually skate in front of him, too. meanwhile, you see other NHL teams with a great group of 4 deep on defense.  Not a coincidence those goalies look better because of it. RYan Miller's numbers are down because his team isn't very good. Pretty simple. Two way street. I wouldn't say "Thomas has choked". He was an 8th seed one year, mostly because of himself, taking the team to a Game 7 in Round 1, and then they lost in Round 2 in 2009, to a scrappy and more experienced Carolina in a Game that could have easily gone the other way. If anyone "choked" it was Rask, for crying out loud. Thomas is like Kirk McLean.  Or Mike Richter.  He's got it, he just needs the holes filled in in front of him so he isn't saving everyone's bacon all the time. We'll see if that is the case with Chia's moves, but I'll take Thomas as a money goalie today and twice on Sundays, thanks. The seasons he put here before Chara arrived were incredible.  This could easily change by the year, too. If Fleury and Pitt go one and done, what will you say then?
    Posted by BBReigns

Ridiculous.  Chara came here simply becuse Joe Thornton was gone and the massive money was freed up.  Certainly not because the B's continued to keep the Former Finnish League All Star because all of the guys brought in to replace him... Raycroft, Toivonen, Fernandez, all either got hurt or flamed out.

He wasnt incredible, he was the same overacting, overrated "make every save look hard and impress people who know nothing about goaltending" warm n fuzzy story he's always been.

And that series against Montreal, he was positively hideous in the ridiculous goals he gave up. (what else is new?)  A professional goalie like Fernandez wins that series as well as the series vs Carolina.  Nice goal, Scott Walker.

Shuperman is right, he did choke in the playoffs and he's done absolutely zero in the playoffs his entire career, except for standing there while the B's pounded Montreal for 4 games.  The only thing he's less successful at is the shootout.

And he's better than Fleury?  A better money goalie that Fleury?  Only the most delusional TT fanboy would rank TT over what Fleury did winning a Cup vs Detroit.  Laughable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I'm still laughing.  Please, tell me what a "money goalie" is.

Someone paid about $4m a year more than they are worth?

OK, in that case he's a "money goalie."  What a scream.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Still haven't learned to be objective about Thomas's shootout numbers, eh?
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats.htm?fetchKey=20112ALLAAZAll&sort=savePctg&viewName=shootoutGoalieCareerTotals
    The only thing a goalie can control is save percent.  He's stopping more than 2 out of 3 attempts against him.  That means most shootouts he only gives up one goal, if that.
    He's only about 0.500 in shootouts because the Bruins organization is terrible at scoring in them:
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats.htm?fetchKey=20112ALLAAZAll&sort=shootingPctg&viewName=shootoutTeamCareerTotals

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to They must be drunk in Pittsburgh!:
    TSNBobMcKenzie   Bob McKenzie   Alexei Kovalev celebrates his 38th birthday in style, by waiving his NTC to become a Pittsburgh Penguin.
    Posted by FinnsWake

"...a drowning man will cling to a piece of straw."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: They must be drunk in Pittsburgh! : Ridiculous.  Chara came here simply becuse Joe Thornton was gone and the massive money was freed up.  Certainly not because the B's continued to keep the Former Finnish League All Star because all of the guys brought in to replace him... Raycroft, Toivonen, Fernandez, all either got hurt or flamed out. He wasnt incredible, he was the same overacting, overrated "make every save look hard and impress people who know nothing about goaltending" warm n fuzzy story he's always been. And that series against Montreal, he was positively hideous in the ridiculous goals he gave up. (what else is new?)  A professional goalie like Fernandez wins that series as well as the series vs Carolina.  Nice goal, Scott Walker. Shuperman is right, he did choke in the playoffs and he's done absolutely zero in the playoffs his entire career, except for standing there while the B's pounded Montreal for 4 games.  The only thing he's less successful at is the shootout. And he's better than Fleury?  A better money goalie that Fleury?  Only the most delusional TT fanboy would rank TT over what Fleury did winning a Cup vs Detroit.  Laughable.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

I must admit, there is some truth to this. Technically TT has only won one playoff series in his career. Exactly how much credit or blame falls on his shoulders for this is a matter of opinion but this is a fact.

I think this coming playoff will define him. If the B's go deep he will likely stay for the remainder of his contract but if they don't I can see PC trading TT in the offseason. Whether this is fair to Timmy or not will be the question/debate....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to They must be drunk in Pittsburgh! : "...a drowning man will cling to a piece of straw."
    Posted by watchtower

I wonder how many will get your point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

TT vs. Fleury.  I wouldn't trust Fleury to drain pasta.  BBR brings up Luongo as a comparable, and I have to agree (sorry SanDog...).  Both are hugely talented guys, capable of great goaltending, who go soft more often than they tighten up.  The Pens got eliminated last year in large part because Halak outplayed Fleury by an ocean.  You know, the guy who is now the goaltender of the non-playoff Blues?  Has TT won a Cup, nope.  Fine.  But I wouldn't call this a win for Fleury just because he has.  There's enough evidence to suggest Fleury is far from consistently championship caliber.

On Kovalev - watchtower nailed it, and elegantly.  This is both a decent move by the Pens and a desperation ploy by a GM who is flailing under difficult circumstances.  I don't think Crosby will be back - and I doubt he comes back as a 1.75 ppg player if he does.  At the same time, the Pens are in the playoffs and you never just roll over.  But Kovalev doesn't have many more points than Kelly, his magic hands don't matter much because he rarely gets in position to use them, and he can be a distraction.  This is a decent move in that it's a gamble with a slightl hope of a high payoff for a very low buy in.  I think it's about the only move the Pens can afford to make because they don't have a full cupboard of prospects and with so much salary already committed to Malkin, Crosby, Staal, and Fleury, they need EL contracts to contribute.  The only reason it doesn't really hurt the Pens is...they probably aren't going anywhere in May anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

TT vs. Fleury.  I wouldn't trust Fleury to drain pasta.  BBR brings up Luongo as a comparable, and I have to agree (sorry SanDog...).  Both are hugely talented guys, capable of great goaltending, who go soft more often than they tighten up.  The Pens got eliminated last year in large part because Halak outplayed Fleury by an ocean.  You know, the guy who is now the goaltender of the non-playoff Blues?  Has TT won a Cup, nope.  Fine.  But I wouldn't call this a win for Fleury just because he has.  There's enough evidence to suggest Fleury is far from consistently championship caliber. On Kovalev - watchtower nailed it, and elegantly.  This is both a decent move by the Pens and a desperation ploy by a GM who is flailing under difficult circumstances.  I don't think Crosby will be back - and I doubt he comes back as a 1.75 ppg player if he does.  At the same time, the Pens are in the playoffs and you never just roll over.  But Kovalev doesn't have many more points than Kelly, his magic hands don't matter much because he rarely gets in position to use them, and he can be a distraction.  This is a decent move in that it's a gamble with a slightl hope of a high payoff for a very low buy in.  I think it's about the only move the Pens can afford to make because they don't have a full cupboard of prospects and with so much salary already committed to Malkin, Crosby, Staal, and Fleury, they need EL contracts to contribute.  The only reason it doesn't really hurt the Pens is...they probably aren't going anywhere in May anyway.
    Posted by Bookboy007

I agree with this. I think Crsoby will be shut down for the season just as Malkin has. The moves Shero is making is an attempt to maintain butts in the seats....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

TT vs. Fleury.  I wouldn't trust Fleury to drain pasta.  BBR brings up Luongo as a comparable, and I have to agree (sorry SanDog...).  Both are hugely talented guys, capable of great goaltending, who go soft more often than they tighten up.  The Pens got eliminated last year in large part because Halak outplayed Fleury by an ocean.  You know, the guy who is now the goaltender of the non-playoff Blues?  Has TT won a Cup, nope.  Fine.  But I wouldn't call this a win for Fleury just because he has.  There's enough evidence to suggest Fleury is far from consistently championship caliber. On Kovalev - watchtower nailed it, and elegantly.  This is both a decent move by the Pens and a desperation ploy by a GM who is flailing under difficult circumstances.  I don't think Crosby will be back - and I doubt he comes back as a 1.75 ppg player if he does.  At the same time, the Pens are in the playoffs and you never just roll over.  But Kovalev doesn't have many more points than Kelly, his magic hands don't matter much because he rarely gets in position to use them, and he can be a distraction.  This is a decent move in that it's a gamble with a slightl hope of a high payoff for a very low buy in.  I think it's about the only move the Pens can afford to make because they don't have a full cupboard of prospects and with so much salary already committed to Malkin, Crosby, Staal, and Fleury, they need EL contracts to contribute.  The only reason it doesn't really hurt the Pens is...they probably aren't going anywhere in May anyway.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Book,

Have a look at Fleurys stats.  They are insanely good and he hasnt had Malkin/Crosby for a good chunk of the season. 

Loungo and Fleury arent comparible.  Lou has been a constant flop in the playoffs.  Fleury took his team to the final two yrs in a row.  Last year they ran into a hot goalie.  How hot is he now?  Goaltending is a marathon in terms of respect. 
    How did you feel about TT last year. 

Fleury in a minute.  Not only do I have stats to back it, I have a cup ring and two finals appearances.  Please tell me how Fleury would flop in Boston in this system? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And just to further my argument
    - 1st overall pick.
    - 2 stanley cup finals appearences in 7 yrs
    - 1 cup ring
    - 2.75 gaa 909 s% (career)
    - avg 30+ wins a year
    - Olympic gold medal
    - 27 yrs old

If you can find me a goalie that has that resume currently playing I would be impressed.  Excluding the best goaltender ever to play.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

While its true folks in Pittsburgh may be rejoicing with the return of Kovalev to a city in which he arguably played his best hockey, people should be careful of him returning to a situation unlike his previous stop there. 

I think I'd read somewhere that it was felt Kovalev performs best when he isn't looked upon to be "the man," the main cog.  Back in the early 90's, the Pens could send a PP of Kovalev, Straka, Stevens, Jagr and Lemieux over the boards. 

At present, Pittsburgh doesn't have their main guys in Malkin for the year and Crosby for an indefinite time.  Kovalev just may be perceived as "the one" purely by the state of the team.  Mind you, its got to feel great to leap from the cellar to a playoff-bound club.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]And just to further my argument 

1st overall pick - So?  So was Rick DiPietro.  So was Michel Plasse.  Kari Let'emin went number 2.  All this proves is what I acknowledged: he has a ton of natural talent.

2 stanley cup finals appearences in 7 yrs.  1 cup ring.  Antti Niemi has a cup ring and he has a better record in the finals.  Chris Osgood has multiple rings.  So again...so?  There's a difference between an appearance or even a ring and delivering a star performance of the magnitude you're implying.  The year they won, Fleury's GAA was 2.63 in playoffs (Thomas's was 1.85...) - that's 9th among playoff starters.  S% was .908, good for 10th among playoff starters behind such luminaries and Chris Mason and Christobal Huet.  He was much better the year they lost, actually.  That said, you may recall that Fleury knocked the cup winning goal into his own net when he misplayed a fairly routine shot through the 5hole, then fell back thinking he could still make the save.  As Thomas is often accused of doing, Fleury, throughout the series, held the Penguins in for long stretches then killed them with a softie. 

- 2.75 gaa 909 s% (career)  These are average numbers, especially the .909%.  

- avg 30+ wins a year  Again...so?  They haven't brought in a goaltender to challenge him since what, 2006?  He's the starter.  He should have 30 wins.  Oh, but wait.  Math might get in your way here.  He hasn't averaged 30+ wins over his career.  Prior to this season, he had 145 wins in his last five seasons.  That's 29 wins/year. 

- Olympic gold medal   Really?  You're going to cite this even though he didn't play a single minute in the tournament?  Thomas at least played a few minutes.

- 27 yrs old  What does this have to do with anything? 

If you can find me a goalie that has that resume currently playing I would be impressed.  Excluding the best goaltender ever to play.

This is a silly challenge.  But I can give you a goaltender who has essentially the same numbers and we don't need to worry about correcting for system:  Brent Johnson has an identical GAA and is .004 lower in S%.

But in the end, this is about who you trust in the playoffs, and the image of Fleury I can't get out of my head is the guy who put a beauty of a pass on Patrick O'Sullivan's stick in the gold medal game of the WJHC - a tournament Fleury never won.  I think Fleury is as capable of being the reason you lose as the reason you win.  And lastly, what ever made you think the Penguins were a run and gun team?  Look at their lineup.  They have the two luminaries and then a bunch of sandy little ba$tard$ like Kunitz, Kennedy, and (ugh) Cooke.  Sorry.  I don't understand why you love Fleury.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I don't love Fleury and I have the WJ memory in my head as well.  Neimi has one year.  He was on a team that could have had anyone on it and won.  Lets see him do it over time. 
    I should have indicated young goalies or goalies that havent been in the league as long as Marty and Osgood. 

He avg 30+ wins a year over his short stint.  He was a rookie in one and injured in the other. 

My resume was to point out the obvious.  He is an elite goalie.  The fact he played on Canada is a testiment that he is that good.  Or that Yzerman is an idiot. 
    I will simply state that no goalie in the league with his age has the same resume.  The fact he has two cup appearances in 7 yrs means he can get the job done.  Why would they need to look elsewhere for another goalie. 

Book- you are a smart dude.  But he is much much better than you give him credit for. Winning games 6-7 in their cup run defines him for me.   His numbers this year are very good to the point that he should be up for the Vezina.  He also doesnt have Chara and a defensive trap system like Boston.  No Pitt doesnt run and gun but they dont trap it up like Boston. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Has TT won a Cup, nope.  Fine.  But I wouldn't call this a win for Fleury just because he has.  There's enough evidence to suggest Fleury is far from consistently championship caliber."

All Thomas needs now or from 2006 is for the Bruins to draft first every year for five years amn that would be a nice team in front of Timmah. Nothing in Fleury's game shows me he was a better goalie than Thomas in 2008 nor 2009 just a better team in front of Fleury.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No...they just block more shots in front of him than almost any team in the league.  And yeah, they do play a modified trap.

shupe, I'm not trying to say you're not a smart dude, but you can't say in one paragraph that Niemi's one year success in front of a very talented team doesn't count - he has to do it over time - but that you will overlook Fleury's long stretches of mediocrity and inconsistency (including the beginning of this year) because over two games he defined himself in your eyes.

Did you look at the league goaltending numbers for the year?  Fleury is 6th in wins, but behind 9 other goaltenders who've played at least 25 games in terms GAA and S%.  That's not Vezina territory.  I wouldn't put him ahead of Backstrom, Rinne, Luongo, Hiller, or Quick let alone Thomas who is 4th, 1st, 1st. 

Again, this started in regard to playoffs.  In the last four years, Fleury had one year where he had great numbers but gave up soft goals in the finals and lost.  Another year with average numbers where they won.  The other two years?  3.76 and .880 and 2.78 and .891.  That seems to back my point that he has great talent but isn't a goalie you can trust.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

who has better gaa and save %?
    had he started quickly he would be in the running.  and had he had his two main players I believe it would be much better in terms of wins.  look at how many goals are out of that lineup
    Savy and Bergie.  Imagine those two guys out. 

Neimi has one year in and won it all.  He has put up great stretches this year, but why is it no one tendered him a contract other than SJ?  Or that we know about.  Lets see where he is in 7 yrs time if he is still in the league.

I have never been a big Fleury fan but I see him as a guy who knows how to win.  There have been lots of good regular season goalies who never can put it together in the playoffs. 

I see Fleury as the next in the line of great young goalies.  And yes Pitt has lots of guys who block shots.  But they have no one near Chara.  Gonchar was their best dman and he wasnt known for his own end. 

Anyway, time will tell.  But again, stats don't lie and neither does back to back performances in the playoffs.  You point out the obvious moments but forget saves on guys like Ovie that basically won a game 7.  That changed the entire complex of that game and series.  Sure the glaring gaffs will enter the picture.  But he has had a heck of a lot more bright spots in his young career.

Bottom line so we can end this.  He is a proven winner with the best resume among active goaltenders with his age.  The fact he is young means he has a chance for great things, especially with that core group.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

I get on TT for letting in the occasional weaky but I also watch my fair share of Pittsburg games and TT is my choice out of the 2. Fleury can sometimes be downright horrible. Fact of the matter, I think Fleury is a middle of the pack talent.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

SoxFanInIL, I wish you the best in your attempt to debate BB but unfortunately you will get a bunch of lies, misinformation, I guarantee Ray Shero n Dale Tallon will be brought into the argument for no reason and BB will go way off topic that will lead you to drink (sometimes that's ok when dealing with irrational people) Good Luck...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

It's like he's dealing with Chowda!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Good one but Chowda wears a full shirt when he yells...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Good one but Chowda wears a full shirt when he yells...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I don't know too much about what BB brings to the table.  I put him on ignore a while ago.  I just read lies and misinformation and couldn't resist!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Anyway, time will tell.  But again, stats don't lie and neither does back to back performances in the playoffs.  You point out the obvious moments but forget saves on guys like Ovie that basically won a game 7.  That changed the entire complex of that game and series.  Sure the glaring gaffs will enter the picture.  But he has had a heck of a lot more bright spots in his young career. Bottom line so we can end this.  He is a proven winner with the best resume among active goaltenders with his age.  The fact he is young means he has a chance for great things, especially with that core group.
    Posted by shuperman

Sorry shupe, but I can't let it end if you're still making that assertion.  Cam Ward's in his age bracket, has a Cup and a Conn Smythe backing a much less impressive club.  He's also backstopped some huge runs by the 'Canes to take a thin team with a weak defense to the playoffs.  I take him any day over Fleury.

The biggest reason I can't walk on your last statements though?  I gave you stats to show that he's no better than the 8th or 9th best goaltender in the league this year, examples of how he might be the reason they've only won one Cup with that core group, and support for my position that yes, he has a ton of talent, but I would never trust him.  I fundamentally disagree with the positive outlook on Fleury.  Best you'll get from me is agree to disagree on this one - and then its crowdsourcing support.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

See. Shero gets better value for Kovalev for a 7th as compared to the 2nd rounder for Kelly. Kelly is worth more here, absolutely, but this is what I mean about Chia. Also, when you trade in the division, one team always feels like they need more for the player.
    Posted by BBReigns

But Kelly has another year on his contract and Kovie is going to be a UFA this summer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: They must be drunk in Pittsburgh! : Sorry shupe, but I can't let it end if you're still making that assertion.  Cam Ward's in his age bracket, has a Cup and a Conn Smythe backing a much less impressive club.  He's also backstopped some huge runs by the 'Canes to take a thin team with a weak defense to the playoffs.  I take him any day over Fleury. The biggest reason I can't walk on your last statements though?  I gave you stats to show that he's no better than the 8th or 9th best goaltender in the league this year, examples of how he might be the reason they've only won one Cup with that core group, and support for my position that yes, he has a ton of talent, but I would never trust him.  I fundamentally disagree with the positive outlook on Fleury.  Best you'll get from me is agree to disagree on this one - and then its crowdsourcing support.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Sorry Bookboy, but Soxfan is an avid TT hater & Shupe isn't a fan. So there's no since in trying to convince otherwise. And if TT does become a Champion? It'll only be because of the B's system. Soxfan continually uses the same types of bad goals he's allowed, but earlier in the season when the B's weren't playing that great, but winning games where they out shot 26-2 in the 3rd period gets forgotten.

Soxfan thinks style of goaltending is what's key! However Ken Dryden has said multiple times that TT & Hasek are 2 goalies that understand their postion better than anyone he's ever seen. What they lack in style, or "goalie rules" they make up for in compete & battle! Who you going to listen to?

TT isn't good on shoot outs because of his style, or lack thereof, but TT's style makes him tougher to beat in a game, because he's so unpredictable. How can a shooter know what to do when TT himself doesn't know? I think that there's more video coaches that have given up on trying to figure what to do on TT then any other goalie.

The haters of TT love to bring up the Walker goal, but they don't talk about the 2 big saves he made of Staal & Whitney seconds apart with one of them having a rebound chance as well. That helped the B's even get to OT to begin with. Also they forget that TT is the only Bruin goalie to EVER bring back the B's to a game 7 after being down 3-1. He's done this twice in back to back seasons. No the B's didn't win, but Fuhr, Moog, Ranford, Smith all lost before they won!

I do agree that Fleury can win you a game, when he's on. However, he had to lose before he won too! I can see Shupe's argument (Not Soxfan because he's just a hater) Fleury has proven he can be both the goat & the hero. The goat in 08 & the hero who robbed Lindstrom in the final seconds in 09'. The goal is to win & MAF has done that. However? There's no way I take MAF over TT in my play-off run. The only one I'd think about taking over Timmy is Miller, but remember the goal Alfreddson scored in OT in 07'. Even he allows stoppable goals in OT.

Sections
Shortcuts