Third Line

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Third Line

So as were many others, I was very excited to see Peverley play with Bergeron and Marchand. This really gives us a powerful top 6.  However I didn't want Claude to do it.  I didn't like the move because I felt it left us with two fourth lines.  Watching last night, I had reason for optimism.  Ryder loves to carry the puck until he has a shot.  Kelly is adept at the breakout and makes a good first pass most of the time before his primary concern becomes defensive accountability and Recchi continues to make his primary offensive concerns crashing the net and cycling the puck with smart passes.  Add to that you have a 'great leader/motivator' playing with the guy whose effort is most often questioned.  I think these guys may actually be perfect compliments for one another.  I still worry about them as a defensive liability, given Recchi's speed and Ryder's inconsistent effort, but for a third line there will be flaws.  If this line can be competent most nights I think the lineup we played last night was close to optimal. I would go with a rotation of Paille-Seguin-Thornton, depending on opponent, but it is fair to say that even in the loss I was pleasantly surprised last night.

Was anybody else impressed by the complimentary play of Recchi and Ryder last night?  Or was it just me?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: Third Line

Recchi yes, Ryder NO. Kelly and Rex had some good moments, but Ryder was lousy all nite. Kelly played one of his best games as a Bruin. Thornton is still a drag, and when Paille is not having a decent skating night, the 4th line is a disaster. If Peverly can merge with Bergie and Marsh, all well and good, but needs a few games to see how it goes. It is frustrating to see Ryder play so poorly when we know he has more skill. Is he back into the sauce?? Seguin still makes some mistakes when he plays. But in comparison to Thornton and Paille, Seguin's skating, passing , and scoring potential demands more ice time. Claude is really kicking the can on handling Seguin.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Man Peverley had the game one last night but pinged the post after a great move to free himself up. Once he learns Bergy's nuances those two will gel sooner than later.

I think Julien will experiment with the 3rd line more before he is done. Me thinks Seguin and Kelly might get a look they should good combination of speed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

My wife turned to me during the 3rd period and said, "Has Ryder been playing all game, or was he hurt earlier?" I did a "spit take" on that....

I agree that the lines last night will need a few games before anyone can truly form an opinion, but it was a good start. The 2nd line looks like it could be a really pesky line. I'd hate to be out there against them. The 3rd line has a good combo of skill and experience. On the 4th, agree it's time to sit Thornton for at least a couple weeks before the playoffs to give the other guys some experience together. Ideally, I think Recchi-Campbell-Ryder and then Paille-Kelly-Seguin would be the way to go.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Yes to calrify I didn't think Ryder had a great game or anything.  I only thought that he and Recchi were more complimentary then I had imagined offensively.  I also thought that Kelly's lack of offensive involvement is offset by having a linemate who is happiest when shooting.

Do you guys agree that the pieces are complimentary?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Yes - the pieces look good on paper and it's worth a shot. Keep in mind Campbell has been playing extremely well recently. I thought he was the best guy on the ice last night. I could see him centering the 3rd with Kelly centering the 4th.

Either way, I agree w/ you that last night's line-up is worth a look for a while.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Like I have been saying for months now...Ryder is brutal!  He will never sit though, since Claude has a man crush on him.

Recchi - Seguin - Ryder
    Kelly - Campbell - Paille/Thornton

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Ryder played well considering every time he came on the ice, the B's were taking a penalty. From the time when the B's scored the 2nd goal (which he was on the ice for) and when they scored their 3rd goal (which he was on the ice for), 2 shifts ended in penalties and his next shift after the 3rd goal ended with a penalty.

Quit just being haters and actually pay attention to every player, is he over paid, yes big time, is he a good player, also a yes. He likes to shoot, but forgets that he can carry the puck, his creativity has been of the variety "Was that Ryder that just did that" and "whattf was he trying to do". But like "ALL" the players out there he makes mistakes, but his salary has caused him more grief than his play should, I would like to have his 20 goals for 2.5M, back, but anything more is not worth it.

He and Chara were the only +2 players on the ice last night.

Kelly is the weak link on the 3rd, but he brings more speed than Rec, then again so does my turtle, but I'd give them a few games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

This team has one line..nuf said. Not going anywhere.........

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

In Response to Re: Third Line:
    [QUOTE]This team has one line..nuf said. Not going anywhere.........
    Posted by nash99[/QUOTE]

This team has 4 lines and they are going on a 4 game road trip. get your facts straight. geez

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]Like I have been saying for months now...Ryder is brutal!  He will never sit though, since Claude has a man crush on him. Recchi - Seguin - Ryder Kelly - Campbell - Paille/Thornton
    Posted by KrayzieJoe[/QUOTE]

Krazie, you nailed it. This is exactly what I would do for the 3rd & 4th lines. Give Seguin more ice time without being in the high teens in minutes. Rotate Paille & Thornton on the 4th line depending on the opponent.

I am happy with the 2nd line last night and I think those guys will surprise a lot of teams down the stretch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]Yes - the pieces look good on paper and it's worth a shot. Keep in mind Campbell has been playing extremely well recently. I thought he was the best guy on the ice last night. I could see him centering the 3rd with Kelly centering the 4th. Either way, I agree w/ you that last night's line-up is worth a look for a while.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

I think the idea of swapping Kelly and Campbell certainly has it's merits.  I would have to watch more games to consider it.  I think if you do it then the biggest cost is that the 4th loses that tiny bit of offense it has, I'm certainly okay with that if it improves the third line and doesn't negatively impact the D on either line.  It's the defensive impact that I'm most concerned with.

Sections
Shortcuts