This One is For You Red...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

This One is For You Red...

I am assuming you are from Winnipeg or currently residing there. Could you fill us in on the local gossip on the prospective move of the Thrashers there?

Just curious...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Re: This One is For You Red...

I think I remember one of Red's posts stating that he now lives in South Africa.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: This One is For You Red...:
    I think I remember one of Red's posts stating that he now lives in South Africa.
    Posted by Ronstar8

I'm not sure where SHE lives now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

In Response to Re: This One is For You Red... : I'm not sure where SHE lives now.
    Posted by dezaruchi

LOL!!! Sorry about that Red. Honest mistake.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

No worries ;) - these days I currently live in North Africa, but am home for awhile right now. But I grew up in the Peg and have been following the whole mess very closely - I'm a member of jetsowner.com. The owner of that site has a fairly close relationship with Chipman and Thomson, and over the last six yars his tips have pretty much always been dead on. I also read everything else I can on it. (seriously, lately it's my second stop online after this site, checking out the Jets news)

So in a nut shell, there is no viable owner capable of keping the Thrashers in Atlta. The ownership wants to sell the club, but they don't want to sell the Hawks or the Arena, but those are the two things that make Atlanta possible in the NHL. So if they are sold, they'll have to move. They have been loking fr a new owne for over two years wit no luck.

A deal in principle has allegedly been reached between Thomson, Chipman and the NHLthat was penned last may, stating TNSE (the ownership group in Winnipeg) is first in line for a relocated team. That likely has to do with the rink,which has been approved by the NHL and is currently undergoing some expansion) and the ownership group (which is made up of Chipman, who has successfully oprated the Moose for the last 15 years and owns the rink) and Thomson (the 19th richest person in the world). They would be the richest ownership group in the league.

So there have been three major interviews on Peg media this week with Atlanta journalsits. They all expect a deal to be done within the next 6-8 weeks. The biggest stumbling block is Phoenix, Winnipeg isthe NHL's only turnkey option right now for relocation, so they have to wait until the Coyotes sale is finalised before they can poceed with Atlanta. The Coyotes deal could(but likely won't) fall through, so the NHL doesn't want t get rid of their out for Phoenix until it's done,

With the exception of Darren Dreger, every reputable hockey writer I've read on this (including Don Cherry just today) says that Atlanta will be in the Peg, lkely next season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

No worries ;) - these days I currently live in North Africa, but am home for awhile right now. But I grew up in the Peg and have been following the whole mess very closely - I'm a member of jetsowner.com. The owner of that site has a fairly close relationship with Chipman and Thomson, and over the last six yars his tips have pretty much always been dead on. I also read everything else I can on it. (seriously, lately it's my second stop online after this site, checking out the Jets news) So in a nut shell, there is no viable owner capable of keping the Thrashers in Atlta. The ownership wants to sell the club, but they don't want to sell the Hawks or the Arena, but those are the two things that make Atlanta possible in the NHL. So if they are sold, they'll have to move. They have been loking fr a new owne for over two years wit no luck. A deal in principle has allegedly been reached between Thomson, Chipman and the NHLthat was penned last may, stating TNSE (the ownership group in Winnipeg) is first in line for a relocated team. That likely has to do with the rink,which has been approved by the NHL and is currently undergoing some expansion) and the ownership group (which is made up of Chipman, who has successfully oprated the Moose for the last 15 years and owns the rink) and Thomson (the 19th richest person in the world). They would be the richest ownership group in the league. So there have been three major interviews on Peg media this week with Atlanta journalsits. They all expect a deal to be done within the next 6-8 weeks. The biggest stumbling block is Phoenix, Winnipeg isthe NHL's only turnkey option right now for relocation, so they have to wait until the Coyotes sale is finalised before they can poceed with Atlanta. The Coyotes deal could(but likely won't) fall through, so the NHL doesn't want t get rid of their out for Phoenix until it's done, With the exception of Darren Dreger, every reputable hockey writer I've read on this (including Don Cherry just today) says that Atlanta will be in the Peg, lkely next season.
    Posted by red75

They were musing on HNIC on Saturday that we will find out in 6-8 weeks whether a new owner willing to stay in Atlanta can be found. The deciding factor, as you have pointed out, is that they have a prospective Winnipeg billionaire owner in Thompson waiting in the wings.

As a new resident of Regina, SK it is exciting to possibly be close to the NHL once again ( I previously lived in Misisssauga, Ont and come from Mass).

Very exciting....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I think the excitement in the city has hit a peak - all anyone is talking about today is this Bud commercial because for one second it shows the jets logo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6WkIGAsrKQ

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The craze is happening in Regina too...It is a regional thing. I hope it is not another runaround....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well Chipman has said that Winnipeg will NOT be in the new team's name. Speculation is that it will be the Manitoba _______, but personally I wouldn't mind something more regional, likeThe Prairie Fire, to give you folks in Saskatchewan someone to cheer for and extend the market.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

No kidding, folks around here are just dying to spend their fistful of cash but have little recourse...lol!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well if you can have the New England Patriot's why not the Prairie Whatevers? And if that was the case, could you imagine the insanity of an outdoor game in Taylor Field?

Figure we only have a few weeks/couple of months left to wait - 2011 - the year the Bruins won the cup and drafted first ovrall and when we got our other team back. That's almost too much to dream of.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

Why not Prairie Oysters???  I gues that's taken.  All kidding aside, I'm from Maritimes so we live vicariously through everyone else!  We're trying to land a CFL franchise!  Good luck.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Well if you can have the New England Patriot's why not the Prairie Whatevers? And if that was the case, could you imagine the insanity of an outdoor game in Taylor Field? Figure we only have a few weeks/couple of months left to wait - 2011 - the year the Bruins won the cup and drafted first ovrall and when we got our other team back. That's almost too much to dream of.
    Posted by red75

Sadly, it apprears that Taylor Field (now Mosaic Stadium) may finally be replaced by a new venue. There is talk (and I am serious about this) that the province may shell out a few 100mill for an 35000 seat indoor stadium with a retracting roof. Aparently things have changed here economically over the lst 10 years to the point where whis is we have the  fastest growing GDP per capita in the country and are flush with cash apparantly...As I said I just got here several months ago so I do not know any better... 

As for hockey, a team in the Peg is akin to a team here as well so you are quite right about this....This city is also building a new football stadium so an outdoor game is feasible in Winnipeg as also.

Sections
Shortcuts