This should be an easy first round

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: This should be an easy first round

Our forwards vs their goaltending and D, their forwards vs. our goaltending and D.
    This should be a slaughter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I take nothing for granted, but the Caps have struggled for a reason. Their defence is weak and goaltending very questionable. Their depth forwards are also inferior. I don't know if I like the word 'easy', but the Bruins would have to be favored.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round:
    [QUOTE]In Response to This should be an easy first round : It's beyond moronic to predict a first round matchup. the B's thought it would blow out the Habs 1 v. 8 in 2004. You can never underestimate whomever you are playing and there's no easy matchup. Not in the NHL Playoffs. It's up to a varety of factors. I'm not saying the Capitals are the late 70s Habs, but they are far from being an easy team to face.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Please tell me what makes the Caps "far from being an easy team to face".  Their defense is terrible.  Their #1 and #2 goalies are injured.  Beyond Ovechkin, Backstrom and Semin, they have no scoring threats.

I'm not underestimating them.  I'm looking at their roster and wondering why people don't think the Bruins are going to steamroll them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Our forwards vs their goaltending and D, their forwards vs. our goaltending and D. This should be a slaughter.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

Most people here have been watching too many hockey interviews and somehow believe what they say will matter on the ice. 

If you don't think the Bruins will mop the ice with this pitiful Caps team, you are the pitiful one!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : Thank you! Most people here have been watching too many hockey interviews and somehow believe what they say will matter on the ice.  If you don't think the Bruins will mop the ice with this pitiful Caps team, you are the pitiful one!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    I love it, WWE at its finest.Way to go NAS !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : Thank you! Most people here have been watching too many hockey interviews and somehow believe what they say will matter on the ice.  If you don't think the Bruins will mop the ice with this pitiful Caps team, you are the pitiful one!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Yeah, maybe I'm missing something, but with the defence our forwards can play, the utility scoring we have, Ovie, Semin and Backstrom seeing visions of Seidenberg and Chara in their nightmares, and Thomas between the pipes, I just don't see what the scray part of the Caps is. People honestly think that Thomas will be outplayed by Holtby or Neuvirth? That Orlov and Alzner are better than Boychuk and Ference/McQuaid? Wideman aqnd Green are scarier than Seids and Chara? Marcus Johannsen is better than Bergeron, Seguin or Kelly? They're such a scoring threat? We have 6 players that broke 50 points this year - they have 2. you do realize that Tyler outscored Ovie this year, right?

I don't get the nervousness. I'm totally with you NAS. I figure this goes five at the longest.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to This should be an easy first round : It's beyond moronic to predict a first round matchup. the B's thought it would blow out the Habs 1 v. 8 in 2004. You can never underestimate whomever you are playing and there's no easy matchup. Not in the NHL Playoffs. It's up to a varety of factors. I'm not saying the Capitals are the late 70s Habs, but they are far from being an easy team to face.
    It was actually the same scenerio in 04' as now. a 2 v. 7. T.Bay finished 1st in the East in 04'.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The lesson of last year is ... I have absolutely no expectations other than that the Bruins will play their game night in and night out whether they face the Caps, the Pens, the Rangers, the little sisters of the poor.  Seeding means nothing, situation means nothing.  If they can keep that vibe from last year, I'm just going to hang on for the ride.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

In 2004 didnt the Habs have some guy behind the bench named Claude?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]The lesson of last year is ... I have absolutely no expectations other than that the Bruins will play their game night in and night out whether they face the Caps, the Pens, the Rangers, the little sisters of the poor.  Seeding means nothing, situation means nothing.  If they can keep that vibe from last year, I'm just going to hang on for the ride.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

That's how I look at it. They have no business losing to anyone other than the Rangers, IMO. But, they know what they need to do and they will not be an easy out with the pride on the line. I believe they can get back there, but I also don't expect it either.  Will be tough to pull it off, but I also think they're as good as any team (when healthy) in the mix.   Thomas is a huge equalizer in the equation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I like the fact that the Bruins didn't have a good record against them in the "regular season" .  I'm sure Caps will stick to their trap system and try take advantage of mistakes.  This can work in a regular season game when your opponent plays different system and type of teams on every other night. Not in a 7game series against the same team.
    Last season I was afraid because the Bruins hadn't won a game in Montreal but in the end they proved me wrong.
    Julien will come up with a game plan and the Caps cannot endure a Bruins team deep for a 7 game series and that's if they even make it to 7.
    They're fairly healthy and Caps cannot compete with this Bruins team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

No doubt the caps present a harder matchup than the sens would have and it's possible the Bruins will be knocked out in the first round. on the positive side of this matchup with the caps vs facing the senators in the first round is if the Bruins do happen to win this series i believe they will go all the way and defend the cup where as that wouldn't have been the case if they faced and beat the senators in the round one. i know it sounds strange but it is what it is....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

I like the B's chances against anyone.  The B's are primed and ready to beat the living snot out of the Caps. 

5-on-5, the Caps have no chance against the B's depth.

With that stated, I can totally see Hunter riling up his troops and make it an ugly, penalty marred, hack fest series, and then trying to beat the B's with special teams play. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]I like the B's chances against anyone.  The B's are primed and ready to beat the living snot out of the Caps.  5-on-5, the Caps have no chance against the B's depth. With that stated, I can totally see Hunter riling up his troops and make it an ugly, penalty marred, hack fest series, and then trying to beat the B's with special teams play. 
    Posted by lucdufour[/QUOTE]
    I can see it happening this way as well, the B's have to stay disciplined with TT being solid. The Bruins are the better team and know what it takes to win. There will be no Holtby />Dryden scenario here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

It's funny cause all the Caps fans on NHL.com seem to think Holtby is some god tier goaltender and will outperform Thomas.

If you want a good laugh go read the comments by Caps fans on the NHL.com Bruins/Caps series preview.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Holtby has played in 7 career NHL games let alone the pressure of playoff hockey.Hey, he could summon some inner Dryden, but lets be honest , he isn't playing in front of the 70-71 Habs. If Caps fans want to get all confident in their rookie goalie, let them, what other option is there ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]Holtby has played in 7 career NHL games let alone the pressure of playoff hockey.Hey, he could summon some inner Dryden, but lets be honest , he isn't playing in front of the 70-71 Habs. If Caps fans want to get all confident in their rookie goalie, let them, what other option is there ?
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  I don't see the Caps blocking the Bruins from moving on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : Exactly.  I don't see the Caps blocking the Bruins from moving on.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

The way the Caps fans are making Holtby look is very similar to how the Leafs fans viewed Reimer last year. No way to judge a goaltender until they've gained some experience. Look at the year Reimer had and his expectations before the season started.

Holtby could be great, but 7 games isn't nearly enough to prove a thing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

It would be a heck of a time for the B's power play to show up.

I still can't imagine acting like this would be an easy series.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : Your kidding, the B's have a PP?  Really, the only special team the B's have/need...wear striped jerseys!
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

You dont need a power play to to win the cup, look at last year..Just score weak short-handed goals like Bergy did on Luongo!!!

Suck it Null.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I know Claude likes to roll his 4 lines & Hunter will be triple shifting Ovie. If CJ were to play the shadow game? Who on the B's would the be the perfect Ovie shadow? With Alex's speed I'd go with Peverly, but to have Ovie going nuts I'd tell Marchand to be following Ovie to the bathroom & be part of the toliet paper roll! Not saying CJ should put a shadow on. Just having a discussion as to who would be the perfect shadow. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Obviously, history is not a strongsuit for some people on this board. Two words-Steve Penney. A nobody from nowhere, the B's were supposed completely "steamroll" the Canadians. The B's had the NHL's best record, best goalie in Pete Peeters, and then got beat in the 1st round. It's insane to predict this being an easy series considering also that the B's struggled against this team in regular season games. I guess you win 1 Cup and all of a sudden, everything is easy. I have immense confidence in the B's, and I had immense confidence when 95 percent of the people on this board STILL GAVE THE B'S NO CHANCE IN GAME 7 OF THE CUP FINALS..just last year. But I'm also not naive to think paper matchups necessarily dictate series romps. I hope the B's win in 4, in 5, in 6, in 7. I hope they win. Let's see the series and if the B's romp in 4, a few of you can come to roost. It's bad to to be overconfident. If the team is, then the team is in trouble.

Sections
Shortcuts