This should be an easy first round

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: This should be an easy first round

I'll never count out a generational talent like OV. Backstrom is also a very talented player and can be deadly.

Chimera and Laich are great accessories.

When I look at match ups in this series I see like so.

Chara and Ovechkin are a wash.

Thomas />>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Holtby

So then you have

Backstrom /> Krejci

This leaves you with

Bergeron, Lucic, Marchand, Peverley, Kelly and Seguin

VS

Laich, Green, Wideman, Chimera, Semin and Johanson

I think the hero of the series will come somewhere from within that group of players and IMO I give a huge edge, at least on paper, to Boston.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

The Bruins won't have an easy time with any team in this years playoffs. After a hard series with the Caps I would Not like to face the Pens in round 2, so I hope the Sens can beat the Rangers and put the B's in the number 1 spot and we can play them before the Pens. The B's will have a better chance to get back to the Finals playing the Pens last. GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round:
    Obviously, history is not a strongsuit for some people on this board. Two words-Steve Penney. A nobody from nowhere, the B's were supposed completely "steamroll" the Canadians. The B's had the NHL's best record, best goalie in Pete Peeters, and then got beat in the 1st round. It's insane to predict this being an easy series considering also that the B's struggled against this team in regular season games. I guess you win 1 Cup and all of a sudden, everything is easy. I have immense confidence in the B's, and I had immense confidence when 95 percent of the people on this board STILL GAVE THE B'S NO CHANCE IN GAME 7 OF THE CUP FINALS..just last year. But I'm also not naive to think paper matchups necessarily dictate series romps. I hope the B's win in 4, in 5, in 6, in 7. I hope they win. Let's see the series and if the B's romp in 4, a few of you can come to roost. It's bad to to be overconfident. If the team is, then the team is in trouble.
    Posted by dannycater

It's okay post here that the series will be an easy one for the B's.  We aren't the players.  No one knows exactly what will happen.  I think it'll be five games maximum, with three of them being B's +3 goals at least.  If I'm wrong, the sun still rises in the East.

It's more fun to believe the team you love to be great than to bite off your fingernails because a team 30 years ago failed.

Let's Go Bruins!  Easy Round One coming up!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : It's okay post here that the series will be an easy one for the B's.  We aren't the players.  No one knows exactly what will happen.  I think it'll be five games maximum, with three of them being B's +3 goals at least.  If I'm wrong, the sun still rises in the East. It's more fun to believe the team you love to be great than to bite off your fingernails because a team 30 years ago failed. Let's Go Bruins!  Easy Round One coming up!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I've done it both ways and believe me when i say its more fun to believe in the team you love. With that said, though the playoffs are never easy, i'm going to love the B's through them, just as the commercial says.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Easy does it guys. Wasn't that long ago we heard the same stuff about the Bruins vs Canes. That one still hurts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Five4Fighting. Show Five4Fighting's posts

I'm not so "worried" about the Capitals as I am about the Bruins not playing to their potential. The three times they lost to the Caps this season the Bruins were playing laid back and uninspired hockey. The way they played in their slumps this year is what scares me. I know playoffs bring out a new level of play but settling for two goals a game and playing shutdown won't fly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Easy does it guys. Wasn't that long ago we heard the same stuff about the Bruins vs Canes. That one still hurts.
    Posted by zamboni24

Yes, that was long ago and a different team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'll enjoy the playoffs game by game, win by win. Predictions in this sport is a crapshoot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

An underachieving regular season team with immense talent is scarier than an overachieving regular season team with lesser talent.

Ovi putting up 65 points or whatever he did is an embarassment for him; an absolute travesty. With his speed, hands, and shot, there's no excuse for that. If he turns it up a notch, he has the ability to be a gamebreaker. If their offense is hot, it doesn't really matter what their goalie is doing.

I also feel that their depth is seriously underrated. Yes, seeing Ovi, Semin, and Backstrom on their team makes them have a "top heavy" feel at first glance. But they also have Laich, Perrault, Johannson, Chimera and Brouwer, all of whom could easily play on our 3rd lines. And in terms of skill and pure ability, their top line probably trumps ours. Have they played to that level this year? Not at all. But we all know what they can do, and if they play to that, this is a team that scares the be-jesus out of me. '09 Rangers, '10 Flyers and '11 Sabres, as well as many other 7th seeds can't hold a finger to this team.

As for the Caps crowd.......I've been to road games at 3 different places (Wash, Philly, NYR), and this is the weakest fanbase in terms of noise. Yeah, they fill the seats, but the crowd noise is NOT a factor.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

In Response to This should be an easy first round:
    Not quite sure I see what everyone else apparantly sees in the Capitals team. Imo, they are a perfect matchup for the Bruins. They really only have on line that is a legitimate threat.. and the Bruins dominate those one-line teams. Chara/Seids vs Ovechkin/Backstrom. They are a bad team defensively, and have a goaltender who has very little experience in Holtby. There building isn't all that intimidating either because 60% of their fans reside in Russia. I personally think the Bruins will have no problem with the overrated Capitals, and will very much enjoy watching Ovechkin fail to get anything going against Chara. Bruins in 5. The second round is definitely going to be difficult, though.
    Posted by Bisson1

Bruins lost the season series.
    Ovechkin and Backstrom are on different lines at the moment.
    Under Hunter, their defense has been pretty good.
    Their building seems pretty darn loud on TV.
    Holtby is a good and capable goalie.

All that aside, I still think the Bruins win. But you're not giving the Caps anywhere near enough credit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I don't consider the Caps a serious challenger for the Cup.

I DO consider Boston a serious contender to repeat.

Bruins in 6 (only because the Caps will play dirtier as the series turns against them... and Marchand, Ference and/or Lucic will surely take the bait!)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to This should be an easy first round : Bruins lost the season series. Ovechkin and Backstrom are on different lines at the moment. Under Hunter, their defense has been pretty good. Their building seems pretty darn loud on TV. Holtby is a good and capable goalie. All that aside, I still think the Bruins win. But you're not giving the Caps anywhere near enough credit.
    Posted by Tom857

If Holtby is good and capable, why didn't he play more? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : If Holtby is good and capable, why didn't he play more? 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

If Varlamov wasn't traded to Colorado then Holtby might've spent some time in the East Coast League this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : If Varlamov wasn't traded to Colorado then Holtby might've spent some time in the East Coast League this year.
    Posted by dezaruchi

If they wouldn't have traded Varlamov ( or Neuvirth ) would they have gone out and signed Vokoun with the same two NHL goalies from the year before already in place ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : If they wouldn't have traded Varlamov ( or Neuvirth ) would they have gone out and signed Vokoun with the same two NHL goalies from the year before already in place ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Hard to say but we know they obviously weren't comfortable with what they had.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Yeah, that was easy...unbelievable this thread even was started.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

It was the 1st game both teams played not to lose. Hunter his game plan right out of Guy Boucher's play book 3 caps sitting on their own blueline waiting to trap the Bruins as they entered, soon as Washington player gets to the redline dump in boring hockey.

When the Caps go down 2-0 in the series the rest of the games will loosen up hunter will have no choice then the fun starts...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Posted by dannycater

I agree!  The B's had the puck for the majority of the evening and only needed one goal to win.

Can't wait for Game 2!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Posted by dannycater

Bruins were actually quite dominant for the majority of that game. Just because it was 1-0 doesn't mean it was an evenly played game. Holtby kept them in it, but he's not going to be able to do that every night. Bruins had a slight lapse in the beginning of the third, but got it back together. Still can't say I'm too worried about the Caps, and feel a more convincing win will come tomorrow. 

If Washington is going to keep playing this super conservative style of hockey against the best defensive team in the NHL, they have absolutely no chance to even get to a 5th game. The Dale Hunter version of the caps are no match for the Bruins.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : Bruins were actually quite dominant for the majority of that game. Just because it was 1-0 doesn't mean it was an evenly played game. Holtby kept them in it, but he's not going to be able to do that every night. Bruins had a slight lapse in the beginning of the third, but got it back together. Still can't say I'm too worried about the Caps, and feel a more convincing win will come tomorrow.  If Washington is going to keep playing this super conservative style of hockey against the best defensive team in the NHL, they have absolutely no chance to even get to a 5th game. The Dale Hunter version of the caps are no match for the Bruins.
    Posted by Bisson1

The game came oh so close to being 1-0 the other way, including Ovechkin's shot that TT made a pad/skate save at goal-line. I don't see that being easy. I hope the B's go up 2-0 and win in 4, but last night was just another example of why NHL playoff games are far from predictable and don't just play out like they are "supposed" to on paper.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : The game came oh so close to being 1-0 the other way, including Ovechkin's shot that TT made a pad/skate save at goal-line. I don't see that being easy. I hope the B's go up 2-0 and win in 4, but last night was just another example of why NHL playoff games are far from predictable and don't just play out like they are "supposed" to on paper.
    Posted by dannycater

Just having confidence in my favorite team. Surprised by how many people are against that on this forum.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

bisson1, you were not here last year during the playoffs when I was defending Julien, while people wanted his head on a stick. It was a feeding frenzy on everything wrong with the Bs early v. Habs in round 1. It's not about showing confidence in your team. It's one thing to show confidence, it's another to pretend something is "easy." If you think the B's think this is easy, watch Chiarelli sweat in the press box. He knows this can be a close series and did not want to face a team that for whatever reason seems to compete well with the B's. Ottawa? Now I'm thinking that might be more stacked toward the B's. Washington? I'm taking them seriously. No team at this point is out of it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : The game came oh so close to being 1-0 the other way, including Ovechkin's shot that TT made a pad/skate save at goal-line. I don't see that being easy. I hope the B's go up 2-0 and win in 4, but last night was just another example of why NHL playoff games are far from predictable and don't just play out like they are "supposed" to on paper.
    Posted by dannycater

Yes, it could have been 1-0 the other way if Thomas didn't make that save.  It would have been 7-0 after two periods of Thomas didn't make any saves.

It turns out that he did, because, you know, he's good and all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

bisson1, you were not here last year during the playoffs when I was defending Julien, while people wanted his head on a stick. It was a feeding frenzy on everything wrong with the Bs early v. Habs in round 1. It's not about showing confidence in your team. It's one thing to show confidence, it's another to pretend something is "easy." If you think the B's think this is easy, watch Chiarelli sweat in the press box. He knows this can be a close series and did not want to face a team that for whatever reason seems to compete well with the B's. Ottawa? Now I'm thinking that might be more stacked toward the B's. Washington? I'm taking them seriously. No team at this point is out of it.
    Posted by dannycater

You do understand that what you say on an internet webpage or in your head or at the bar or at the dinner table has no effect on the outcome of the game, right? 

Being positive is more fun!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The Caps showed nothing in game 1 except the ability to compete with the Bruins, something you would expect from any NHL team.  They got a good performance from their rookie goalie (who, as dez pointed out was about 5th on the depth chart a year ago) and they squandered it.  They got oushot 2-to-1, failed to score or give Thomas any trouble, and they lost.

The Caps might play well and win today.  I suppose they could win the series.  But if you look honestly at both rosters, and at what happened in game 1, they have shown nothing to be considered a feared opponent.  Nothing wrong with fans being honest about what we see.  Players on the other hand always have to respect their opponent.  I think the Bruins will.

Sections
Shortcuts