This should be an easy first round

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

Re: This should be an easy first round

We need to play boring, shut-down hockey.  Limit Ovechkin to shots from 30 feet away.  And pepper the rookie goalie with 40+ shots in game One. 

Go Bruins.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round:
    [QUOTE]There is no such thing as easy rounds in the playoffs. Let's not forget the Caps took 3 out of 4 from the Bruins during the season. They probably like this matchup. The Bruins will have to earn everything they get, the Caps are not just going to lay down for them. To say any playoff series is a " walk in the park '' is just dumb.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Yahoo sports:

The Caps are 3-1 against the Bruins this season, including 3-2 shootout thriller on March 29 in Boston.

“That means nothing,” said former Bruins defenseman Dennis Wideman. “Boston is a different team in the playoffs.

Medical Watch:  

• G Tomas Vokoun (groin) is out indefinitely.

• G Michal Neuvirth (lower body) is day-to-day.

Goaltenders:  

• Braden Holtby

• Dany Sabourin

Defense Pairings:  

• Karl Alzner, John Carlson

• Roman Hamrlik, Mike Green

• Dennis Wideman, Dmitry Orlov

NAS Hockey:

Walk in the park. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from grizzlybear69. Show grizzlybear69's posts

I would like to think that our Bruins will handle the Caps  and some of your fears.we all know that the champs roll three good lines plus the fourth.Timmy is still one of the best.Lets enjoy ok...were not the Caps.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : Yahoo sports: The Caps are 3-1 against the Bruins this season, including 3-2 shootout thriller on March 29 in Boston. “That means nothing,” said former Bruins defenseman Dennis Wideman . “Boston is a different team in the playoffs. Medical Watch:    •  G Tomas Vokoun (groin) is out indefinitely. •  G Michal Neuvirth (lower body) is day-to-day. Goaltenders:    •  Braden Holtby •  Dany Sabourin Defense Pairings:    •  Karl Alzner, John Carlson •  Roman Hamrlik , Mike Green •  Dennis Wideman, Dmitry Orlov   NAS Hockey: Walk in the park. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    It is one thing to be condfident but have you ever heard of respecting the opponent? I see you didn't mention they had O.V., Semin, Laich, Knuble or Backstrom. Oh ya, they must not be a threat in your books.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I'll fall into the "they were the last of the 3 teams I wanted the B's to face" category.

They remind me of Philly 2 years ago who were playing playoff hockey for a month before the playoffs even began (down to the unproven rookie goaltender). Add in the Costanza factor (always first with high expectations only to choke, and now, qualify in the last week and no one seems to think much of them) along with the desire to shrug the biggest playoff underachiever moniker (shared with SJ) and I don't love this matchup at all.

I do agree that the Bruins are the better team and should win this series but I think The Caps are a much tougher out than either Florida or Ottawa.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : It is one thing to be condfident but have you ever heard of respecting the opponent? I see you didn't mention they had O.V., Semin, Laich, Knuble or Backstrom. Oh ya, they must not be a threat in your books.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

I have a bit of news for you that might be shocking:  I am not a Boston Bruins player.  What I think, type or say will have no bearing on what happens in the game.

Feel free to read the rest of my posts in this very thread to see what I think about the other players. 

Well, not Knuble.  LOL  Tell me how he's a threat!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

In response to "This should be an easy first round": [QUOTE] There building isn't all that intimidating either because 60% of their fans reside in Russia. Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE] That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. Do you think EVERY Bruins fan is inside TD Bank for every home game? It doesn't matter if the Caps have a million fans, and 90% arein Russia. As long as they have 20,000 fans in Washington that go to the game (they do) who are very passionate (they are) they can make thier arena just as intimidating as anybody else.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "This should be an easy first round": That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. Do you think EVERY Bruins fan is inside TD Bank for every home game? It doesn't matter if the Caps have a million fans, and 90% arein Russia. As long as they have 20,000 fans in Washington that go to the game (they do) who are very passionate (they are) they can make thier arena just as intimidating as anybody else.
    Posted by davecarr[/QUOTE]

I don't get the "intimidating" building theory.

What's scary about hearing boos?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : I definitely would rather see them pound the Senators, but still can't see the Caps being any more of a threat. Though anything is possible.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

There are no "easy rounds" in the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : There are no "easy rounds" in the playoffs.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

B's vs. Philly was pretty easy last season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : B's vs. Philly was pretty easy last season.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Quick result, not easy to achieve. No team is "easy" to beat 4 times in 2 weeks (or less). Just ask the 86 oilers or the 93 Pens about how easy an allegedly weak opponent is in the playoffs. 

When teams start thinking things will be easy is when they start setting themselves up to be upset.

The B's will win, likely in 5 games but it will take maximum effort by everyone on that team to do so.

You know this NAS....And, yes, I suspected all along you were not on the Bruins roster.Smile

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I think the B's dispose the Caps in 5 or 6, but they still scare me. Too many times the B's ran into a hot goalie in the first round. Say what you want about Ovie, but the guy is a game breaker & STILL a superstar in this league. There's no reason not to think that Holtby, or Neirverth can't do what Rask did against the Sabers in the 2010 play-offs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bunch of cowards!

Careful of this, careful of that!

This B's team is solid from #1 scorer to skating clown and the goaltending is superb.  The Caps have a few guys who can score, a pitiful defense and a nobody in the net.

Beat your chests, Bruins fans!  Stop being all "oh don't say that"! 

This is BOSTON BRUINS HOCKEY.  At least for the first round, don't act like such a bunch of chickens!  The B's are going to dispatch this silly Caps team with ease!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round:[QUOTE] There's no reason not to think that Holtby, or Neirverth can't do what Rask did against the Sabers in the 2010 play-offs. Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

What is it about Holtby or Neirverth's games that make you think that ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I really don't like this matchup.  I really wanted Ottawa.  The B's will have to beat tougher competition than any of the potential first round matchups, if they are gonna go deep, but I think beating the Caps will require more energy than either the Senators or Panthers.  That saved gas comes in handy in later rounds.  Also, facing Ottawa in the first round should hardly bring out a sweat on the Rangers, and that makes their already easier path to the finals even less stressful.  There's always an upset or two in the first round.  I was as confident as I possibly could be, that Ottawa, nor Florida, could pull that off.  Not quite so sure Washington can't, but feel/hope the B's can grind em down.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

No players here, just "stay at home" gm's and coaches.

Dale Hunter only has 4 ties.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : What is it about Holtby or Neirverth's games that make you think that ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I'm sure nothing at all.  B's fans are so used to be disappointed, they set themselves up as losers to start so if the team does lose, they can feel less hurt.

The B's will strike down upon the Capitals with great vengeance and furious anger. And they will know the name of Lucic when he lays his vengeance upon them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

PC is playing it cautious and saying all the right things:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2012/04/gm_peter_chiare.html

I wonder what he really thinks?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBostonBruins. Show TheBostonBruins's posts

I'd feel a lot better knowing McQuaid and Johnny Rocket are going to play. No playoff opponent is a breeze. The Bruins are going have to work hard, but they should win this series. They are the better, deeper team. Chara and Seidenberg will be a good matchup against the Ovechkin line.

Bruins in six.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

I'm with Nas on this...look at the Caps D....The Bruins will torment that group to no end. We have more scoring depth, and better goaltending. The Bruins will be highly motivated....they are after all, the defending champs. What better way to start the playoffs, If Ovie tries to do it all, as in past playoffs...Bruins in 4 or 5!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I am inclined to think Washington is a one line team.  Yet after two year of being eliminated from the first round, Ovie could be a difference.  If Thomas has an off time in net then an upset is very possible.  I still predict the Bs win, but upsets are result of offense winning over defense in a series.  Washington is like Ottawa a bit weak in net.  Pittsburgh v. Philadelphia will be pure fun to watch!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This should be an easy first round : What is it about Holtby or Neirverth's games that make you think that ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    OK how about what Andy Moog did to the Canadiens in 81'? It's nothing particular that I think about either of these guys. It's just that great goaltending can carry you thru. No matter how much you're being dominated. Then they do have the Ovi factor. You can have a Holtby making 40 saves for you & then Alex scoring the go ahead goal with 30 secs left. That's why he's a superstar. That's what's scary about the Caps. Like I said. I think the B's get thru in 5 or 6, but I would've rested easier playing the Sens. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to This should be an easy first round:
    [QUOTE]Not quite sure I see what everyone else apparantly sees in the Capitals team. Imo, they are a perfect matchup for the Bruins. They really only have on line that is a legitimate threat.. and the Bruins dominate those one-line teams. Chara/Seids vs Ovechkin/Backstrom. They are a bad team defensively, and have a goaltender who has very little experience in Holtby. There building isn't all that intimidating either because 60% of their fans reside in Russia. I personally think the Bruins will have no problem with the overrated Capitals, and will very much enjoy watching Ovechkin fail to get anything going against Chara. Bruins in 5. The second round is definitely going to be difficult, though.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

It's beyond moronic to predict a first round matchup. the B's thought it would blow out the Habs 1 v. 8 in 2004. You can never underestimate whomever you are playing and there's no easy matchup. Not in the NHL Playoffs. It's up to a varety of factors. I'm not saying the Capitals are the late 70s Habs, but they are far from being an easy team to face.