This teams coaching is awful

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Re: This teams coaching is awful

First: 9/12/2009
    Last: 3/12/2011
    JYaso, I was wrong and you were right.  Earlier in the year, I defended Claude Julien when you criticized him.  Well, it's obvious that coaching is this team's number one problem.  And it's not just Julien, Ward has been in charge of the powerplay, and we all know how well that has been going.  For whatever reason, CJ can't motivate these guys.  Some nights they're on their game, other nights they look completely uninterested.  Way too inconsistent.  It's time for a coaching change before the regular season is up.

Thanks for "man-ning" up.  I'm wrong alot of times and admit it when I am wrong.  I just call it the way I see it.  Believe me, I want to be wrong about this and would love to see the Bruins win the Cup this year but it is not going to happen with Julien as the Head Coach.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

In Response to Re: This teams coaching is awful:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This teams coaching is awful :
    ...After this year you won't have to worry about Ryder anymore..
    Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]
    Are you sure? If they don't fire Julien he will make a case for re-signing Ryder, and given PC's track record he will even give him a raise. Then they'll run out of cap space to re-sign Kaberle.
    Some facts:
    - Dave Lewis is off the Bruins payroll.
    - Claude Julien has two more years on his contract.

As long as the Bruins are at least in the running for the playoffs (right, just playoffs, not necessarily for winning the cup) PC won't fire Julien. As long as there are people out there who believe stuff like "we're one of just five clubs who made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs two years in a row" or "we were just one goal away from the conference finals in 2010" there will be no changes, just the same old excuses.

n Response to Re: Cam, save our season:
    [QUOTE]I have yet to bash Claude Julien. My cousin in New Jersey keeps asking me why I don't see what he has been telling me. He said Lou cut him loose with the best record a month before the playoffs becuase the team would struggle when they ahd the lead. If not for all-world goaltending that good team would have a much worse record...Kind of sounds familiar.For a defensive coach how many shots have we allowed to the Sabres and Islanders?
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Very true. But as I said, too many people accept mediocrity. I have to admit that the team has improved since the Dave Lewis days, but it has also failed big time at the most inopportune times - not just three game 7s in a row, that awful OT loss in Montreal in early January is another prime example.
    I wouldn't want to play for a coach who seems to be incapable of making adjustments.
    I wouldn't want to play for a coach who's blatantly favoring players - can we call it "double standards" when it comes to Julien's special treatment of Michael Ryder?
    I wouldn't want to play for a coach who gets outcoached on a regular basis.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Clod is a flaming moron!!!!  How long have we (I) been throwing this out??? Never sitting Ryder, not playing the #2 draft pick, not sending the proper message to this team last year against Philly, letting the PP suffer by having the slowest D man on the planet out there, and by messing up the best goalie tandem in the league. Now they both look like they have no clue. TT is flopping all over the ice and Rask is just plain lost. This had been said many times but there was a reason NJ got rid of him. Now we get to see it all over again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Five4Fighting. Show Five4Fighting's posts

There is a part of me that wants to believe he is a good coach. I mean, despite some low points this year, this team is not only first in their division but legit in the top 4 of the Eastern Playoff picture right now. As for last week they were 2 points away from being in first place in the east. Sometimes I even think its the players who aren't showing up to play every night and not hte fault of the coaching.

BUT I can't keep thinking that. I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said here, but CJ's style just seems to hinder all aspects of this team's game. Its a telling sign when most of the commentator's reasons for the Bruins coming up short, potential star players not shinning and offensive prowess are all attributed to or blamed on Julien's "system". I feel like the roster on this team would look 100% different without him as coach.

Problem is if they fire him now, would they be able to pull a Flyers of last year with a coaching change mid season(although that came MUCH earlier then now) and still make the Stanley Cup Finals?

I agree, sit Thornton sometimes. Sit Recchi for rest. Play Seguin. What do you have to lose by even trying those ideas? I think its time to change the 4th line anyway. I'd like to see Campbell centering Peverly and Kelly. Bring Caron up too.

Let's put it this way, as long as Mike "Barney Rubble" Milbury isn't the next coach I'll be happy. After his coaching speech to the players would probably go like "hey you knuckleheads! stop trying to score those *frickafracka* "flashy" things called goals and just try to amount 10 fights a game! We are the Bruins. That means we just have to fight! Oh and I think we need to trade Chara, he's just too tall'

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cashman72. Show Cashman72's posts

Marchand'still a kid and will make mistakes but at least you know when he's on the ice. One of the few that gives some energy on every shift. But to be benched for that. It's also time to give Seguin some ice time. Let Thornton sit for a while.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

i agree with most of these suggestions. I agree with sitting Marchand. Once again, Claude's decision to sit Seguin left him without a good option for replacing Marchand in the 3rd. Peverly is beginning to fit in, so the option should have been Seguin. In addition, Thornton should be replaced permanently by Caron. Caron skates better, hits better controls the puck better, passes better, and thinks better. The real solution, after watching Claude's decisions all year , is to replace Claude. This team will not do well in the playoffs, which should give Chiarelli the impetus to replace Claude.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

It makes me wonder where the Bruins would be in the standings largely without an effective PP, which is a huge component of any club that views itself as a legit Cup contender. 

In Kaberle, the B's got the guy they've targeted for what, two years now?  His debut was brilliant but even he now appears to have succumbed to the team's year-long PP doldrums.  We all know a PP goal can be the difference between the W and the L. 

This strategy, presently constituted under Ward's guidance, will help to gut the club especially come playoff time when every situation and edge is magnified.  Its curious how a club with the offensive abilities of such players as Krejci, Ryder, Recchi, Lucic and Horton can look so woeful, the present 0-fer run notwithstanding.

Ward's PP arrangement does not appear to be playing to whatever strengths the guys have.  I've read where Scotty Bowman said the long regular season is the time to work out any kinks the team has because the playoffs, due to such things as time constraints are not the place to do so. 

I still hope for some sort of turnaround with this aspect of the Bruins but I'm struggling to rationalize how the PP will get sorted after Ward has had months to try and figure it out.  Just wondering.  What are Ward's offensive credentials? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]i agree with most of these suggestions. I agree with sitting Marchand. Once again, Claude's decision to sit Seguin left him without a good option for replacing Marchand in the 3rd. Peverly is beginning to fit in, so the option should have been Seguin. In addition, Thornton should be replaced permanently by Caron. Caron skates better, hits better controls the puck better, passes better, and thinks better. The real solution, after watching Claude's decisions all year , is to replace Claude. This team will not do well in the playoffs, which should give Chiarelli the impetus to replace Claude.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

I think you are spot on up to the last comment.  It just might to late to inject Caron and Seguin into the line up now.  The time to do that was in the middle of the schedule.  Thornton is a complete waste of TOI, add Ryder to the list. He must be resting for the playoffs for he reminds me of a Jimi Hendrix song "you got me floating round and round".  Marchand is a player with high energy but now is a bit out of control like last years rendition, sit him.  As NAS pointed out the defense is a bit over rated, Kaberle is not the problem.  The team is attempting to jell for the playoff run.  I would have thought the process of injecting the new players in the system would be weeks not a month.  The players make the team, the coach though has responsiblities for the latest snafu. (BTW the winning streak although very positive was against some of the worse teams in the league.)   Yet, despite my reservations on CJ ability to change or modify the offensive schemes, that realism does not sway my thoughts that the team could in fact contend for the Stanley Cup.  No, I am not a "kool aid?" fan either, being a realist is practical but only  if you believe the club will improve enough to win the Cup.  If the Bs don't win the cup then the team will be measured in degrees of improvement, but ultimately it fails if it does not achieve that goal. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrr7. Show paulbrr7's posts

Relax folks! This is the perfect time of the year to go through this, in hockey it's how your playing going into the play-offs that mean something. Play with the line-up, sit people, change the PP as long as they figure it all out before the PO will be fine. Plus be careful the clowns who like to throw that "troll" word out when you give constructive feedback won't like it...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

It's all CJ's master plan.

Lose a bunch of games the last part of the season and hopefully come in 7th or 8th in the standings. That way we won't have home ice,which is a good thing for Boston. Also we won't have to play Montreal in the first round.  Also give the other times a chance to see just how awful our PP is. That way they won't worry about taking penalties.

Then in the playoffs we come out with the real Bruins team and blow them all away.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

HOW ABOUT 9th?????????? It's not that far away......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pictureguy. Show Pictureguy's posts

Marchand is one of the surprise bright spots of the season.  He's one of the few players who actually go to the net...and I love his tenacity, but he is still pretty green and not taking bad timed penalties is something he has to learn...and a benching should send the message.
    My big problem with Julien (and his assistant's) coaching is, while they coach a great defensive game, they seem to have no "plan" when it comes to offense.
    They seem to just cycle the puck along the board (which is fine but it seems like that's all they ever do) and have very little net presence, and no set passing plays to get the puck out front for a shot or drive to the net.
    YOUR NOT GOING TO SCORE FROM THE CORNERS.  They don't seem to be able to use their skill to "create"
    Just my personal beef.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I can't believe this baffoon has them stuck in third place, five points from best record in the East.

They should fire him right now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Like many of you, I think the time to let Julien go was after last season's collapse in the playoffs. Gaining 2 pts in 4 games when your team is still #6 in the NHL isn't going to lead to a change. Sorry. I wish he'd be dumped, but it's not going to happen.

The Reality:
    #1 Vancouver lost 4 straight in November and another 4 straight in January
    #2 Philly lost 4 straight last month
    #3 Detroit lost 4 straight last month
    #4 Washington lost 8 straight in December
    #5 Pittsburgh lost 4 straight in February
    #6 Boston lost 4 straight this month
    #7 San Jose lost 6 straight in January

It happens...be thankful 2 pts were salvaged.

That aside, this isn't to cover the fact that you guys are right that they're not playing well right now. Just keep in mind that Julien's job at this point is to capture lightning in a bottle for the playoffs. Any benching/line changes/PP or PK tweaks/etc happening right now are all aimed at finding the optimal balance for the playoffs. He's got a dozen or so games to figure it out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: This teams coaching is awful:[QUOTE] Paille can skate fast in a straight line, but cannot do anything else.  Apparently that includes stopping.  I do believe I saw him just about take himself out by skating into the end boards.Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I was hoping someone else saw that I couldn't believe it when I saw it then I looked at the name on the back of the jersey. Yep it's believeable Pie yah in the sky ay really did it.

"Can't argue with you there.. Ference and Hnidy  could not come back any faster.." Not more cow bell Cowboys but the Sheriff, AF and Kampfer really are missed more than expected.

Aside from not having the right personel on the PP and his love affairs with Ryder and Thornton I think Julien has done a good job. However If I ever see Whitfield in a Bs uniform it will be time to "get a rope".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This teams coaching is awful : I was hoping someone else saw that I couldn't believe it when I saw it then I looked at the name on the back of the jersey. Yep it's believeable Pie yah in the sky ay really did it. "Can't argue with you there.. Ference and Hnidy  could not come back any faster.." Not more cow bell Cowboys but the Sheriff, AF and Kampfer really are missed more than expected. Aside from not having the right personel on the PP and his love affairs with Ryder and Thornton I think Julien has done a good job. However If I ever see Whitfield in a Bs uniform it will be time to "get a rope".
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

//
    However If I ever see Whitfield in a Bs uniform it will be time to "get a rope".// 

That, I like, Dawg.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

Simple:

Sit Marchand for a game or two (really, he has done nothing good the last few anyways) and play Seguin.

Also, the loss of Fernece has really hurt thsi team whether you like to admit it or not. Our Defense has been killing us.

Oh yeah, and I doubt they will can Calude but in my opinion, Ward HAS to go. The PP has been pathetic all year and a good way to send a message is to can someone, it just will not be Claude.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

The PP is awful. They have ONE line. Why wouldn't you put Krejci/Lucic/Horton on the PP together? Every other team looks like they have a plan when on the PP. The Bruins just stand around. The talent here is overrated but they should at least look like they are coordinated out there. They look like they are just making it up as they go..Julien has no clue how to coach offense. He doesn't even like guys with skill. Look what he did to Kessel. If you can backcheck you can play for him....Unfortunately, it not worth watching........