Thomas and Rask

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Thomas and Rask

Anyone else notice that Rask sits just behind TT in 3rd in save percentage.I'm not trying to start a debate.I'm just pleased we have such a formidable tandem in goal.Most teams have a significant drop-off between their starter and backup but the Bruins don't miss a beat.Teams like Tampa,Wash,SJ and Philly all have 2 goalies of the same calibre.The trouble for them is that the calibre isn't very high.Boston has 2 goalies that are better than the starter on most teams.At a combined cap hit of 6.25m it's a real luxury.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Re: Thomas and Rask

I didn't take notice of the save % stat for the two....that looks really sweet. Your right. There isn't one NHL club that has the 1-2 goalies we have.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Not to be a downer here as both goalies are playing excellent but both also take advantage of a great defensive system while the forwards probably are hindered by CJ's system.

CJ's system looks great for the regular season but it has been exposed in the playoffs for two straight years by an aggresive forecheck. This is a make or break year for CJ IMO. If he is unable to make adjustments in the playoffs this year & the Bs get bounced early it is time for a change.

As for the goalies. As good as Thomas has played I would trade him right now if the Bruins had a bidder. Makes sense in the long run & helps out the cap situation the Bs are in now & long term.

The Bruins have to many good young players to be carrying 2 goalies at 6.5 million per yr when they could be carrying two goalies at 3 million per. They should be taking advantage of Rask great cap hit so they could upgrade the backend & acquire a PMD.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Thomas and Rask:
    Not to be a downer here as both goalies are playing excellent but both also take advantage of a great defensive system while the forwards probably are hindered by CJ's system. CJ's system looks great for the regular season but it has been exposed in the playoffs for two straight years by an aggresive forecheck. This is a make or break year for CJ IMO. If he is unable to make adjustments in the playoffs this year & the Bs get bounced early it is time for a change. As for the goalies. As good as Thomas has played I would trade him right now if the Bruins had a bidder. Makes sense in the long run & helps out the cap situation the Bs are in now & long term. The Bruins have to many good young players to be carrying 2 goalies at 6.5 million per yr when they could be carrying two goalies at 3 million per. They should be taking advantage of Rask great cap hit so they could upgrade the backend & acquire a PMD.
    Posted by Newfiebullet

Valid points but 6.25m for the luxury of 2 #1's seems like a good deal.If one gets injured I sure like the idea of having the other ready to go.But if PC gets the right offer there are no real untouchables.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It's an embarrassment of riches.  Keep 'em both, move some forwards for cap compliance.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

It's an embarrassment of riches.  Keep 'em both, move some forwards for cap compliance.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Agreed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Nothing wrong with having two of the best goalies in the game.  Especially at a combined $6.25M cap hit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

For the Bruins over the yrs. Goaltending hasn't always been great in fortune. They've had great goalie's, but they've always seemed to get out-dueled in that department in the play-offs! I like having that cushion where if one falters, you can go to the other. It's like that trump card & you can play it without a huge risk. Gilles Gilbert came in game 3 of 79 & almost did it against arguably the best team on the planet. And this was after the B's were down 0-2 in the series.
    So, I love this scenerio & it's been a long time since the B's had this advantage, or it's another chance of taking advantage of the situation where maybe they didn't feel as comfortable trying it. Keep both for a great run! Let one run out of his prime & let the other get better, at a slower, but even pace. That was the plan on the TT re-signing & I think they should stick with it!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Not to be a downer here as both goalies are playing excellent but both also take advantage of a great defensive system while the forwards probably are hindered by CJ's system. CJ's system looks great for the regular season but it has been exposed in the playoffs for two straight years by an aggresive forecheck. This is a make or break year for CJ IMO. If he is unable to make adjustments in the playoffs this year & the Bs get bounced early it is time for a change. As for the goalies. As good as Thomas has played I would trade him right now if the Bruins had a bidder. Makes sense in the long run & helps out the cap situation the Bs are in now & long term. The Bruins have to many good young players to be carrying 2 goalies at 6.5 million per yr when they could be carrying two goalies at 3 million per. They should be taking advantage of Rask great cap hit so they could upgrade the backend & acquire a PMD.
    Posted by Newfiebullet

I agree with you on the bold statement. CJ has shown he does not know how to raise the level of the players when it's needed. He's almost too calm with no panic, but that's just it! He has to show there's a time for panic in a play-off game. Laviollette showed it perfectly last yr in game 7 & also in game 7 in the conference finals against Buffalo in 06! He's a system coach, but he's also a change on the fly coach. CJ hasn't shown that ability to do that in crucial situations.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

The Bruins still don't miss a beat with the"back-up"in goal.Tampa looking good but Rask great so far.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I thought Rask played quite well.  Once again a victim to a poor effort in front of him.

Sections
Shortcuts