Thomas Embarrassed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Re: Thomas Embarrassed

Rusty threads sure do bring the best out of people, dont they?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

You know, TT used to be the "against all odds" feel-good story of the NHL for years.

And years.

Until the Bruins won the Stanley Cup and he won the Conn Smythe. That's when Timothy Thomas, jr., began to feel the need to show the world a little more than just his strong will, never-give-up attitude, varieties of facial hair and a plethora of unorthodox saves - he had to voice his (pretty unpopular) opinion on politics.

No matter which political view one prefers, we can all agree that it went downhill for him from there. No more hero status in New England, no more playing for a cup contender -  and no spot for him on Team USA in Sotchi.

Still he cannot stop running his mouth.

‘‘I think I might've enjoyed myself watching the State of the Union more,’’ said Thomas, not a big fan of President Barack Obama, who delivered the speech at the same time as the Bruins were beating the Panthers for the sixth straight time. ‘‘No, probably not.’’

Stubbornness/Obstinacy can be useful at times, especially when you seem to be up "against all odds", but TT should realize that he cannot win this one - he can only add further damage to his already tarnished reputation.

And him swinging his stick at The Yeti's head doesn't endear him to me again either.
    Hence, I have to agree with the OP: TT has thorougly embarassed himself - again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I will always like TT. Ya I was upset he didnt play his final season and upset it went against the cap, but it is what it is. He still brought a cup to Boston and yet people want to bash and taunt him. I think he deserves more respect from Bostonians than what we give him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to bgrif008's comment:

I will always like TT. Ya I was upset he didnt play his final season and upset it went against the cap, but it is what it is. He still brought a cup to Boston and yet people want to bash and taunt him. I think he deserves more respect from Bostonians than what we give him.

I loved him when he played here. Now he's just another player on another team. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to MrHulot's comment:

You know, TT used to be the "against all odds" feel-good story of the NHL for years.

And years.

Until the Bruins won the Stanley Cup and he won the Conn Smythe. That's when Timothy Thomas, jr., began to feel the need to show the world a little more than just his strong will, never-give-up attitude, varieties of facial hair and a plethora of unorthodox saves - he had to voice his (pretty unpopular) opinion on politics.

No matter which political view one prefers, we can all agree that it went downhill for him from there. No more hero status in New England, no more playing for a cup contender -  and no spot for him on Team USA in Sotchi.

‘‘I think I might've enjoyed myself watching the State of the Union more,’’ said Thomas, not a big fan of President Barack Obama, who delivered the speech at the same time as the Bruins were beating the Panthers for the sixth straight time. ‘‘No, probably not.’’

Stubbornness/Obstinacy can be useful at times, especially when you seem to be up "against all odds", but TT should realize that he cannot win this one - he can only add further damage to his already tarnished reputation.

And him swinging his stick at The Yeti's head doesn't endear him to me again either.
    Hence, I have to agree with the OP: TT has thorougly embarassed himself - again.

I don't think he embarassed himself by his play or his actions in the Soderberg incident. He's a competitor, many goalies would have done that. I don't agree with what he did, but I understand what he did. That team is terrible and the B's are playing very well right now. The other political stuff, who cares, no longer a Bruin anymore and Rask is the B's goalie.

Montreal on Thursday.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

In response to bgrif008's comment:

I loved him when he played here. Now he's just another player on another team. 

Agree 100%.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

What couldn't have gone better was Thomas' post-game meeting with the media when he said that it would have been more fun to watch the state of the union address on Tuesday night.

LOL! Nice to see he still has his sense of humor! Also, nice to see that the players don't hold the same grudge us fans do. Also nice to see Thomas show that he DOES take blame on his mistakes. Here's a few quotes from last night.

"The next whistle we had a shif t down there and he said “are you kidding me?” and just started laughing," said Thornton. "He was as surprised as I was, I suppose."- ST

" a misplay by me on the second goal. Knucklepuck from Chara where I tried to reach around & grab it and it went off my helmet & glove. Third goal was same type where I missed the puck to cover it & Looch was right there. Those weren't good signs." - TT

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

And years.

I don't think he embarassed himself by his play or his actions in the Soderberg incident. He's a competitor, many goalies would have done that. I don't agree with what he did, but I understand what he did. That team is terrible and the B's are playing very well right now. The other political stuff, who cares, no longer a Bruin anymore and Rask is the B's goalie.

Montreal on Thursday.

You know, Kelvana, one could argue that the Bruins became a better team after TT (the "tea party TT") left. My point is that the moment TT started sharing his views on politics (the way he used the Pastor Niemöller quote was particularly disturbed/disturbing), his value diminished greatly, and he still can't let it go - I doubt that he could still be a force in the playoffs, because now opposing teams/players won't talk about his goaltending style but throw some "politics" at him to get him off his game. He's a lot more vulnerable now, plus some of his teammates might not want to stick up for him anymore.

Tuukka Rask, on the other hand, carried himself with dignity (I doubt that TT would have offered to sign a one-year deal with the B's, as Tuukka did in 2012), and eventually led the Bruins to a berth in the SC finals.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

"After Carl Soderberg ran into him, Thomas responded by hitting the center in the head with his stick — a move that could get him a call from the league. Soderberg flew to the ice and the Garden exploded with a mix of boos and more derisive chants.

“Soderberg, the play before that, he did a pretty hard jab,” Thomas said. “Then all a sudden the puck’s up in the air, you’re catching it and his stick is in my throat. With less than a minute left in the game and they’re up by four goals, 6-2, I took exception to that.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2014/01/tim_thomas_hears_it_all_from_garden_faithful

He's blaming Soderberg?

Glad he's gone.

I don't like TT, but I can't fault him for defending himself against opposing forwards in or around his crease if his defenseman aren't there doing the job.

Thank You Badhab, because I would've done the exact samething. I think Soderberg is great for playing until the whistle, but if you're going to play that way you should expect a retalation from someone who's frustrated in a 6-2 game that your losing & the other team is trying to get 7 with only 10 seconds left. It's hockey for crying out loud! That's why they call the front of the net "the dirty area" it's where your paying the extra price. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

And years.

Good god man! What's your address I'll send you $20 & you can buy yourself a life! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

"After Carl Soderberg ran into him, Thomas responded by hitting the center in the head with his stick — a move that could get him a call from the league. Soderberg flew to the ice and the Garden exploded with a mix of boos and more derisive chants.

“Soderberg, the play before that, he did a pretty hard jab,” Thomas said. “Then all a sudden the puck’s up in the air, you’re catching it and his stick is in my throat. With less than a minute left in the game and they’re up by four goals, 6-2, I took exception to that.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2014/01/tim_thomas_hears_it_all_from_garden_faithful

He's blaming Soderberg?

Glad he's gone.

I don't like TT, but I can't fault him for defending himself against opposing forwards in or around his crease if his defenseman aren't there doing the job.

Thank You Badhab, because I would've done the exact samething. I think Soderberg is great for playing until the whistle, but if you're going to play that way you should expect a retalation from someone who's frustrated in a 6-2 game that your losing & the other team is trying to get 7 with only 10 seconds left. It's hockey for crying out loud! That's why they call the front of the net "the dirty area" it's where your paying the extra price. 

Expecting to get roughed up a little is one thing. Taking a lumberjack whack to the head from a goalie stick is quite another. Cant defend Thomas on this. Shove him, punch him, whatever, but you really cant be using your stick as a weapon out there, especially in the head area, that can cause some serious damage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

And years.

Good god man! What's your address I'll send you $20 & you can buy yourself a life! 

ROFL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

He's blaming Soderberg?

Glad he's gone.

Expecting to get roughed up a little is one thing. Taking a lumberjack whack to the head from a goalie stick is quite another. Cant defend Thomas on this. Shove him, punch him, whatever, but you really cant be using your stick as a weapon out there, especially in the head area, that can cause some serious damage.

Again, agree 100%.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Exactly, totally uncalled for and not warranted. TT shoving Soderberg away is one thing, the chop to his head,neck area is another.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

For me, Thomas ( up to this point ) will always be the best goalie I've seen to have worn a Bruin's sweater. 

Back then, I respected his personal decision to leave the game. That hasn't changed. He had other things in life that were important to him more then hockey.

Regarding the "Thomas embarrassed" comment by the OP ? Yes, as a team the Panthers stink. Being part of that must be embarrassing for him. 

+1

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I love Tim Thomas threads.  Brings out the ol' nite.

Nachtmahr!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Timmy is one of the greatest Bruins ever.................All those bashing him are probably Obama lovers..........

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't like any player using his stick as a weapon, especially in the head and neck area, for any reason.  It's bush no matter how angry you are.  You want a piece of Sodabread, go tear one off, but using the stick as a weapon is cowardice.  I still feel that way about Kessel vs. Scott, McSorley on Brashear, and all the way back to Green-Maki.

I say this as someone who has defended Thomas's right to take a year off - to resign - just like any employee, and who thinks the cap implications are Chiarelli's fault for not realizing he was signing him to a 35+ deal when he did.  To top all of that off, the writing was on the wall that hte Bruins were going to go to Rask last year pretty much regardless of what Thomas did.  I think the baldness of it rankled him.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to riptide757's comment:

Timmy is one of the greatest Bruins ever.................All those bashing him are probably Obama lovers..........

He's a Panther.................And Obama is a great president.................And I have a right to say that despite facists like you trying to take it away.................And exactly what thefuckis using 6 sets of ellipses in a row supposed to mean?.................And I get enough politics elsewhere, I really don't want to see it in hockey forums.................

• You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I really, really hate how the NHL complicates things like this. Soderberg came in with his stick high and it should've been called a minor high sticking penalty. He was tied up with another player and nobody got injured, but it absolutely doesn't matter. He is required to maintain control of his stick and it's a penalty for incidental contact with a high stick. Black and white.

TT retaliated with an intentional hit to the head with his stick and it also should get called (it did), but also be reviewed. Under what circumstances is it legal to knowingly and intentionally hit someone in the head with your stick? Crashing the net, end of game, injury or no injury....it shouldn't matter. The NHL waaaaay overcomplicates these things with the side details.

Player A hit Player B in the neck in a hockey play. High sticking penalty. Player B intentionally hit Player A in the head with his stick in retaliation. Suspension. Why does anything else matter?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"To top all of that off, the writing was on the wall that the Bruins were going to go to Rask last year pretty much regardless of what Thomas did.  I think the baldness of it rankled him." 'Bookboy007'

So, he quit weeks ahead of the July 1st date when his no-trade clause ran out. He wanted to control his own destiny and rather than be traded just anywhere - he quit. Perfectly plausible, entirely without pause for the concern of the Bruins (they can't get ANY value back for him in a trade, which would have been sizeable, his contract counted against the B's Cap...).

Even if you're mad at the Bruins, or don't like Chiarelli etc, if you're Tim Thomas, keeping a decent relationship isn't the worst thing you could do for your legacy, let alone your life after hockey - I mean, what other city does Tim Thomas never have to buy a beer in? That's what I found most appalling, his lack of foresight, brought on by a narcissism run-amok. He really, honestly believed a year off would have no effect on his game? That 29 teams would be clamouring for him? Dumb.

And that chop on Soderberg last night is suspendible. Should be reviewed. He could kill a guy that way. But again, givern it's Timmy Thomas we're talking about, I doubt he was thinking that far ahead.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I would have done the exact same thing Nite, be hard pressed to find a goalie who wouldnt of. My thought process would have been "are you kidding me, a minute left in a 6-1 game and I'm getting a stick across my neck!"....Soderberg, while responsible for his stick did nothing wrong intentionally,100% hockey play and I would bet anyhting TT did not mean to hit him in the head with his stick. TT was down, had to reach up etc..No way he means to hit him in the head, just give him a poke out of fustration...

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"I would have done the exact same thing Nite, be hard pressed to find a goalie who wouldnt of." - kelvana33

Doesn't matter. I mighta 'slew-footed' (he didn't) Brooks Orpik and decided unilaterally that he deserved it and found a buncha people to agree - but I'd still get 15 games for it.

This from Kerry Fraser;

"It is acknowledged in the rules that a goalkeeper's unique equipment is not only designed to provide protection and to stop the puck but that when used in an altercation can do considerable damage to an opponent. For that reason, Rule 51.3 provides that a match penalty must be assessed if, in the judgment of the referee, a goalkeeper uses his blocking glove to punch an opponent in the head or face in an attempt to deliberately injure an opponent.

The manner in which Tim Thomas used his heavy goalie stick last night falls well within the spirit and intent of the match penalty rule."

• This post has been removed.

• This post has been removed.

• Sections
    Shortcuts