Thomas Embarrassed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Thomas Embarrassed

How do the Bruins\Soderberg respond the next time they play the Panthers?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejacks. Show ejacks's posts

I wouldn't say Soderberg got "what he deserved," but it isn't a LOT more than he should have expected.  Even in a close game, you crash the net and make contact with the goalie (I don't think he "high sticked" Thomas, as TT was on his knees, plus he had help from the D-man), and there are going to be some consequences from the goalie, the D, or both. 

That said: 

1) A stick to the side of the head was a little much - an overreaction based on the score, the circumstances, and TT's personality.  It was borderline for additional punishment, but, like it or not, the league tends to look at actual results instead of potential results. 

2)  I like that Soderberg was still playing hard.  If TT didn't like the fact that it was done at the end of a 6-2 game, maybe he and his teammates should have played better.  And if the whole thing is meaningless, why did TT bother to stop the puck in the first place? Why?  Because he was doing his job, just like Soderberg was doing his. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejacks. Show ejacks's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How do the Bruins\Soderberg respond the next time they play the Panthers?

[/QUOTE]

They beat them 6-2 again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lets not turn this into a Rusty versus the world thread or an Obama thread.

Rusty loves his teams, he's harmless and he's actually very entertaining. Killed alot of time at work going back and forth with him, and reading him and NAS going at it. It's priceless. At the end of the day we're all Bruins fans.

Plenty of other threads about politics.

Big game with the Habs coming up.

[/QUOTE]

Nice backpedal, Kevlie. Your first here, the first in the thread, tried to tell me I didn't watch the game.

Now, that it's clear MANY people saw what I saw and agree with me, you're trying to sweep this under the rug.

Won't work.

[/QUOTE]

How am I backpedaling? I disagree that Thomas embarassed himself last night. 3rd game in a row the Bruins have scored six goals, with that team in front of him the score would have been alot worse if not for him, especially in the first 2 periods.

if anyone is backpedaling it's you. First you refer to everyone in here as dorks, now your pointing out that some agree with you so you must be right. Which is it?

My point is not to have this forum turn into a Rusty sideshow, like the Patriots forum. That place is a disgraceful mess and your a big part of the reason why. You argue with everyone to the tune of 100 posts a day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

thomas has treated this organization horribly. i don't care what you're political beliefs are, you don't blow off the white house. then spouting off his idiocy on facebook and beating his chest while yelling at reporters. and then yes, taking the year off was a really scummy move. how often does that happen? i can't wait until this guy is out of hockey, sitting in his bunker getting fat off bud and beef jerky. 

[/QUOTE]

The guy takes a year off from hockey to tend to his family.  Rask steps in and the team doesn't miss a beat.

Plenty of players blow off the White House.  It's not uncommon at all. 

You want scummy?  Take a look at Mike Danton's history.  You want scummy?  Kevin Stevens in a hotel room with a call girl and crack.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

As for the stick to the head BS:

It was a split second thing.  Thomas is guilty of wildly swinging his stick.  Suggesting that he ment the exact result is giving him way too much credit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejacks. Show ejacks's posts

TT was a major (maybe THE major) part in bringing a cup to the Bruins.  I'll always love him for that.  And I have no problem with the White House thing - it's his prergogative/right.  I wasn't a big fan of the social media stuff later, in that it was a bit of a distraction (and an individual attention seeking one at that), but what I care about is how guys play on the ice, not off.  He did seem to be off a bit at that point, but who knows why.

But the whole taking a year off thing sort of bothers me.  He wasn't retiring, and he didn't have any personal tragedy or other reason.  And he knew what that would do the Bs cap situation.  IMO, it was an FU to PC, who had tried to trade him when they drafted Sequin, tried to replace him with Rask once, and was about to do so again. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I am a long time Boston Bruins fan. I watched a dream come true in 2011. The 1st thought that crosses my mind everytime I think of it - is Tim Thomas. All Heart and guts. He is the best I've ever seen when he's on his game. I finally got to see my team win the cup, and I'll never forget it - Thanks Timmy!

Not sure how any Bruins fan could ever bash this guy - 

he should be iconic forever in B's history - he wil be for me

Oh yeah...are there some that don't approve of freedom ? Regarding TT seems so

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not everyone is a dork.  You're kinda dorky, though. Your first post proves that with the whole "nothing to see here" deflection post.

You think you own the board here, so yeah, that's kinda dorky, as is telling me I didn't watch the game when I did.

You don't get to tell people what opinions to have as a homer deluxe kind of fan. Got it?

[/QUOTE]

Just the people who agree with you aren't "dorks" right? Got it. They are so few and far between I would have to label them something.

How do I think I own the board here? By disagreeing with you?

Now I'm a homer deluxe fan?? Before I was a Habs lover for my Carey Price avater now I'm a homer deluxe kind of fan. Got it.

And to prove you have no idea of what you are talking about, AGAIN. Here is a statement made by you earlier in this very thread:

Of course he/it did.  Thomas wanted to stick it to Chiarelli because Chia didn't publicly back what he felt was his personal choice.  He knew after getting the big deal, if he framed it as "retiring", he could do that AND stick the team with his cap hit.  Yep.

Thomas never mentioned the word retirement. In fact, he made it very clear he was not retiring and coming back after a year off and his intentions were to come back to the NHL the next year with hopes of playing for the U.S team in the 2014 Olympics. So how did he "frame" that as retiring?

I cedrtainly don't own the board.

But I own you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am a long time Boston Bruins fan. I watched a dream come true in 2011. The 1st thought that crosses my mind everytime I think of it - is Tim Thomas. All Heart and guts. He is the best I've ever seen when he's on his game. I finally got to see my team win the cup, and I'll never forget it - Thanks Timmy!

[/QUOTE]

Right on.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not everyone is a dork.  You're kinda dorky, though. Your first post proves that with the whole "nothing to see here" deflection post.

You think you own the board here, so yeah, that's kinda dorky, as is telling me I didn't watch the game when I did.

You don't get to tell people what opinions to have as a homer deluxe kind of fan. Got it?

[/QUOTE]

Just the people who agree with you aren't "dorks" right? Got it. They are so few and far between I would have to label them something.

How do I think I own the board here? By disagreeing with you?

Now I'm a homer deluxe fan?? Before I was a Habs lover for my Carey Price avater now I'm a homer deluxe kind of fan. Got it.

And to prove you have no idea of what you are talking about, AGAIN. Here is a statement made by you earlier in this very thread:

Of course he/it did.  Thomas wanted to stick it to Chiarelli because Chia didn't publicly back what he felt was his personal choice.  He knew after getting the big deal, if he framed it as "retiring", he could do that AND stick the team with his cap hit.  Yep.

Thomas never mentioned the word retirement. In fact, he made it very clear he was not retiring and coming back after a year off and his intentions were to come back to the NHL the next year with hopes of playing for the U.S team in the 2014 Olympics. So how did he "frame" that as retiring?

I cedrtainly don't own the board.

But I own you.

[/QUOTE]

I used the word sabbatical above. WHo cares if it's retiring for a year or "sabbatical"?

Of course he didn't use the word "retire". That's the whole point. He tried to dupe morons like NAS and used the family excuse out of the woodwork, conveniently on the heels of the White House thing.  Leave it to you and your homer buddy NAS to not read the writing on the wall there.  

My god you two aren't very bright or just too homeriffic to see straight.

See, this where I know I've got you cornered because you're starting to play semantic with word choices that I choose to use.

Too bad if you don't like my choice of words.

You own nothing. Tim Thomas crapped on his legacy in this town and blew up the bridge on the way out the door due to an exploding ego problem.

End of story. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't play semantics. I simply go by what you type. You typed those words.

Now, I can also only go by what Tim Thomas says. It seems here you are the one playing semantics with words, when it comes to him. If Tim Thomas says he is taking a year off for family,friends and faith, I beleive him. I doubt he said that to dupe NAS. In fact, I would assume NAS never entered his mind when he decided to take a year off or when he explained his reasons for doing so.  

I could be wrong though.

Have you noticed how everytime you come in here, you get owned? Nevermind, I'm asking this to a guy who has been banned upteenth times and still calls other people trolls.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"A stick to the throat can cause damage too! It's hockey get the fawk over it! He put himself in a dangerous place, which caused his stick to hit Thomas in a dangerous place! He's already pissed off at himself, his team & this guy is playing likes it's game 7 in  OT! Soderberg got what he deserved in that situation. Take your shoulda, coulda, woulda's, pretend their shoes with laces & shove them so far up your behind that the laces come out of your nose! Jeezus what a bunch of fawking babies! " 'NOB'

This is really dumb. (especially the last really unintelligible part) Your ideas about 'the code' or what someone deserves are irrelevant. "Deserved's got nothing to do with it." It's just the rules. If you're a goalie, you can't use your irregular, larger equipment to hit a guy in the head, on purpose.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It was a split second thing.  Thomas is guilty of wildly swinging his stick.  Suggesting that he ment the exact result is giving him way too much credit.

[/QUOTE]

Now if the skating clown did that you would be calling for him to banned for life,by the way beauty goal he scored wasn't it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A stick to the throat can cause damage too! 

[/QUOTE]

With all that goalie armor on? Come on man. Incidental contact is one thing. What happened to TT in the final seconds of last nights game could happen throughout the course of any game(like you or someone else said, it IS hockey remember?!). TT swung his stick at Soderbergs head. Way different. That is something that should never be in the game. You cant excuse that. If that were Price or Luongo doing that people would want their head on a platter.

[/QUOTE]

6-2 and going hard into the goalie ? I would react the same way if Rask did that to Gallagher. Good on Soderberg for playing hard all the way to the final whistle but he better be ready for a reaction.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now if the skating clown did that you would be calling for him to banned for life,by the way beauty goal he scored wasn't it.

[/QUOTE]

Haha,good one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Yah the Thomas story was a great one that a movie could have been made out of it if it wasn't for the way he exited from the B's.  He sure didn't get a standing O like iggy got in Calgary.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Name me another player that has blown off the WHite House visit and made it such a front page news story like Tim Thomas.

Name the player:

[/QUOTE]

Matt Birk

Choke on that, Rusty Trombone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

[/QUOTE]

Expecting to get roughed up a little is one thing. Taking a lumberjack whack to the head from a goalie stick is quite another. Cant defend Thomas on this. Shove him, punch him, whatever, but you really cant be using your stick as a weapon out there, especially in the head area, that can cause some serious damage.

[/QUOTE]

I thought what TT did was worse than what ST got 15 games for and I felt for sure he should have gotten ejected. Taking your stick to a players head has never been acceptable in the NHL no matter how angry or frustrated you are. It's good he didn't pull that crap against the Canadians or he'd would have been jailed. Classless is being kind.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Please explain to me exactly what any of this -- especially the part where you think he should be iconic forever in B's history -- has to do with "freedom?"

And why, if someone criticizes Thomas, that person "doesn't approve of freedom?"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

[QUOTE]

Please explain to me exactly what any of this -- especially the part where you think he should be iconic forever in B's history -- has to do with "freedom?"

And why, if someone criticizes Thomas, that person "doesn't approve of freedom?"

[/QUOTE]

Spot on ("right on" would be too ironic), Ergoetal!

My point is that TT messed up a good thing when he changed from "humble and strong-willed kid next door" to "political soap box artist", and I couldn't care less if he just snubbed Obama or if he wanted to join Dennis Rodman's North Korea fan club - it's when he went public with his opinions on politics (again, it doesn't matter if he's "tea party", "tea-totaller", "pro-Milk" or "ultra-communist") that he became too much of a distraction, even to himself.

Unfortunately, some people think that TT's opinions on politics make him even more of a hero, and that he must not be touched. I thought we're talking about hockey, not politics here, and this guy single-handedly wasted a year of this "wrinkle in time" when the B's have the talent to win another cup.

And then there are those who assume that my current dislike for Tim Thomas (and I defended him and his unorthodox style of goaltending more than once on this board - pre-2012, of course) is politically motivated - that's a load of rubbish. I would not call myself a liberal or conservative, I have voted for each party at least once, but I cannot stand people who regard themselves as more important than they really are. It's pretty simple and has been said here multiple times already: "There is no 'I' in "team".

Sections
Shortcuts