Thomas Embarrassed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Thomas Embarrassed

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I remember when Wallace didn't go. Theo Epstein didn't go. The difference is, each didn't hold the franchise hostage after the organizations didn't publicly back them in the press.

Get it?

This is very clear. Many players decided they diddn't want to go from all teams in every sport, but Thomas made this a huge deal and continues on to this day.

Not debatable. Walk away, toolbag and take your Shuperman buddy with you.

Thomas's ego imploded and it's still on display years later.  Period.

[/QUOTE]

What about Birk?  He made a big deal of it.  I mentioned this earlier, but you failed to address it.

Why?

Oh, that's right.  Wrong again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Umm, Rasheed Wallace took a year off after signing a big deal and then was yapping about his political agenda, years later?

No.

Try again, toolchest.

[/QUOTE]

You asked for a player who blew off the white house and made it a bigger deal then the team.  I was wrong.  He attended but made it a bigger issue then the team.   TT didnt ask for the media attention.  To me TT is a legend and the best goalie to ever where the B.   Toolchests are handy things.  I appreciate the comp.  

[/QUOTE]

He didnt realize Wallace went either, he just tied mixing his own words so they favor him.He does it everytime then he follows with insults.

Then he gets banned. He wonders why, and he starts over again. Theres a reason he has no repsonse to NAS and myself. He gets proven wrong all the time.

[/QUOTE]

I remember when Wallace didn't go. Theo Epstein didn't go. The difference is, each didn't hold the franchise hostage after the organizations didn't publicly back them in the press.

Get it?

This is very clear. Many players decided they diddn't want to go from all teams in every sport, but Thomas made this a huge deal and continues on to this day.

[/QUOTE]

Really? Because he did go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've never read anything that says that Thomas took last year off because he was upset with the B's...because they didn't support him in the White House visit.

That's just a typical Rusty Trombone-ism right there. 

Also known as "a lie".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm still trying to figure out how he held the Bruins hostage. He informed them of his decision right after the season, and came public with it on June 3rd. Season started in January and he was traded in February.

How exactly did he hinder the Bruins who ended up going tot he Finals?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

I wonder if that was berg instead of soderberg who did that and tt would have hurt him. Wonder if they'd be talking the same way. What u think mr hurlot?

Marco's question gave me another idea - what if Patrice Bergeron, my favorite current Bruin (who scored the game winner in game 7 against the Cannots) and somebody who doesn't seem to have any (character) flaws, somebody who simply cannot do wrong, would suddenly turn into "Monsieur Égoïste" and give us his rendition of "I, me, mine", perhaps with a chorus interlude of "All hail the 'king' of North Korea" with backing vocals by Dennis Rodman? Not possible, at least that's what it seems, but didn't TT's primadonnaisms catch us off-guard back then as well?
    I would want #37 off the team, heck, I would want anybody off the team who suddenly thinks he's bigger than the team (and acts like it in public) - and I would not post stuff like "best centre on the Bruins ever", the sort of remarks we see here, coming from the Thomas apologists. I am a Bruins fan first and last, and not even Bobby Orr should get away with the sort of cr*p that Thomas committed (but thank God we all know that real classy guys like Orr or Bergeron would never do anything like this.)
    BTW: I do respect that TT was great in 2011 - but that doesn't give him the right to become Mr. Superselfish not even one year later.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm still trying to figure out how he held the Bruins hostage. He informed them of his decision right after the season, and came public with it on June 3rd. Season started in January and he was traded in February.

How exactly did he hinder the Bruins who ended up going tot he Finals?

[/QUOTE]

I dont either.  He didnt threaten to sit out bc of his contract(even if that was his thought process).  Best bruins goalie ive ever seen, helped bring bruins fans a cup, legend status in my eyes.   Hes now in florida so i dont really care, i hope he does well and appreciate everything he did here.  If he wanted to play "the game" he simply reports to camp, fakes an injury and collects his money on the IR and bench.   Its not like he left a happy meal on the table.  If hes money driven he goes and collects that money.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Davey,

nite is one of the most affable members here.  He loads his posts with name calling and jabs, but never in a harmful fashion.

It's like Billy the Kid said in Young Guns II:  I never stole a horse from someone I didn't like.

And nite:  Fawk you!

[/QUOTE]

My day is made. 9:10 in the morning & I've already been told 3x! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There you go one of his recipients of butt kissing. 

Kinda guy who  stupidly uses names and then says hey just kidding.  I say you wouldn't want to be around him. He must be a very loud guy  Who never stifles it.

[/QUOTE]

1. He's just about always kidding when he talks like that

2. Thats exactly the kind of guy I like to hang out with, you can say anything,call him anything and he not only wont be offended, he'll give it back to you ten fold. All in good humor, I love people who talk like their in a locker room, if the world was more like that it would be a better place. Where I come from, live and work, we dont make fun of you if we dont like you.

3. That said, he's an old d*ickhead!

[/QUOTE]

Thax buddy! I don't see fawkfaces responses. I try really hard not to bother arguing with idiots. They just bring me down to their level & beat the shi t outta me with experience!  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You crazy dingbat goalies...

[/QUOTE]

Thank You! Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just want to go on record.

I hate this thread.

[/QUOTE]

I am embarrassed to say that I read this whole thread, agreed with some points of just about everyone and can't EVER get this time back...

Carl Soderberg=right to compete to the end.

CS=wrong to take it that far...

Tim Thomas=right to react to Soderberg

TT=wrong to take it that far...

TT=right to freedom of speech on social media...

TT=right to skip WH to back up his beliefs...

TT=wrong to not honour the last year of his signed contract...

Bruins=correct to get over TT and continue plan to compete annually for SC...

Fans=?

The debate will continue...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Umm, Rasheed Wallace took a year off after signing a big deal and then was yapping about his political agenda, years later?

No.

Try again, toolchest.

[/QUOTE]

You asked for a player who blew off the white house and made it a bigger deal then the team.  I was wrong.  He attended but made it a bigger issue then the team.   TT didnt ask for the media attention.  To me TT is a legend and the best goalie to ever where the B.   Toolchests are handy things.  I appreciate the comp.  

[/QUOTE]

He didnt realize Wallace went either, he just tied mixing his own words so they favor him.He does it everytime then he follows with insults.

Then he gets banned. He wonders why, and he starts over again. Theres a reason he has no repsonse to NAS and myself. He gets proven wrong all the time.

[/QUOTE]

Get it?

[/QUOTE]

Really? Because he did go.

[/QUOTE]

He bitched about going, though.   Why didn't you tell Shuperman he officially didn't go? H;s the one who said it with such authority.  See, this is where you come off like a troll. Go to the source if you want to counter with a statement. Shuperman said it.

Epstein ended up not going. It's been done before, but not like this by Thomas and his antics.

[/QUOTE]

I corrected my statement before kelv replied.  I clearly indicated that.  I think reading should be in your tool box if you wanna throw insults.   

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

^^Sure. Sure.   So nice of you to rattle off a little mini 4 word retort and quote my post as if you were right when you weren't.

Enough already. Enough.

No Boston athlete didn't go to the WHite House after signing a new deal and winning the Cup and then did some makeshift ego sabbatical to stick to the organization before.

Just forget it. It's unique and Thomas is really selfish and apparently battling a massive ego.

The fact he even thought he was in shape and good enough to on the Olympic team is ANOTHER example of this ego problem.

He deserved all the accolades and attention he received when here, but he tried to put himself above the team when he lost that buzz/attention he had during the 2011 playoff run.

[/QUOTE]

You still havent read all the posts.  Other examples were given.  If you are gonna post at least address them.  You have now narrowed the search to just Boston.  I have no idea what your 3rd point means and i read it 5 times.   

He made no bones about not wanting to go.  The media blew it up.  TT was making a statement and did steal some of the thunder.  I will agree there.   But winning game 7 of the stanley cup finals will trump that everyday.  Bc off the ice i really dont care what his beliefs are His family came first and i didnt go further then that.  Again, he didnt leave a big mac meal behind.  He left a chunk of change you and i would fight over(i would win by the way).  :-)

TT. 2011 Stanley Cup Champion and Playoff MVP= Legend

TT. Not going to White House= I dont care.  

TT. Sitting out a season= i dont care.  Rask proved he can be the man.  

TT. Playing in Florida= good luck and thank you for 2011.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

You still havent read all the posts.  Other examples were given.  If you are gonna post at least address them.  You have now narrowed the search to just Boston.  I have no idea what your 3rd point means and i read it 5 times.   

He made no bones about not wanting to go.  The media blew it up.  TT was making a statement and did steal some of the thunder.  I will agree there.   But winning game 7 of the stanley cup finals will trump that everyday.  Bc off the ice i really dont care what his beliefs are His family came first and i didnt go further then that.  Again, he didnt leave a big mac meal behind.  He left a chunk of change you and i would fight over(i would win by the way).  :-)

TT. 2011 Stanley Cup Champion and Playoff MVP= Legend

TT. Not going to White House= I dont care.  

TT. Sitting out a season= i dont care.  Rask proved he can be the man.  

TT. Playing in Florida= good luck and thank you for 2011.  

[/QUOTE]

Great Post Shupe. Basically my take on it except I still wish Thomas well where ever he plays unless of course it's against the Bruins. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

I simply cannot blame the media for TT becoming a distraction; he fed them all his bs about politics, and a journalist would be remiss if he/she didn't write about it (again, I don't care if TT is a liberal, communist, conservative, preservative, whatever).

I think you can be a fan of someone/something, and you can still maintain your ability to reflect on things in an objective way, or you can simply be a fanboy. I saw a lot of this "yeah, he made a mistake, maybe even more than just one mistake, but he's still (insert celebrity's/politician's name here), and that's all that matters" bs growing up in Europe, and I hated it (still do). I hate this "Crosby can be a royal a..hole most of the time but I don't care because he's the best player on the planet" bs as well. IMHO it's this kind of celebrity worship that brought us "stars" like Paris Hilton.
    I want to call a spade a spade; nobody gets a pass for being a pr*ck from me, not even Bobby Orr, and, btw, the Bruins won the cup in 2011 as a team, and TT was pretty good, but HE WASN'T THE SOLE REASON THEY WON THE CUP! Playoff top scorer David Krejci could have won the Conn Smythe, and it wouldn't have caused much of an uproar.
    They won game 7 in Vancouver because they scored timely goals (while one of the Sedins whiffed in front of an empty net, and TT couldn't have done a thing about it, even before Bergie scored the first goal) and because their defence (including Thomas) kept the Cannots' offence from scoring. I would even go so far as to say that it didn't matter who was in goal in this game - Tuukka could have done the job as well, now try to prove me wrong, TT apologists!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love Tim Thomas threads.  Brings out the ol' nite.

Nachtmahr!

[/QUOTE]

Good one (pretty old though and not used much anymore - try "Albtraum" instead). Now try to pronounce it (”It's Achmed! Ach-ch-ch-ch!").

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Thomas is the greatest goalie in 1960s to present Bruins history, better than Cheevers (who I still think is one of the great clutch goalies and my favorite goalie ever), better than Rask (who potentially could be as good and his final career numbers will end up being better), better than Peeters (who still had a ridiculously great regular season that for the era he played in could be as good as it gets). Thomas 2011 Cup run is one for the ages, he won the Cup. Rask was on his way to that type of run but couldn't finish it off (albeit some defensive lapses by d-men at crucial moments). Cheevers played on a virtual all-star team. 2 Vezinas, MVP of playoffs, I'll take Thomas. 

I felt sad for him the other night. Any true B's fans who taunted him, should face an Al Iafrate slapper with no pads on. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Politics has a habit of ruining things.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Politics has a habit of ruining things.

[/QUOTE]

Word!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

While the ranking of former Bruins goalies is mostly a matter of taste to me (no one can prove that, for instance, Cheevers wouldn't have been great in 2011 as well - if he hadn't been in his 70s already), nobody can deny that the B's play deteriorated in 2012 after TT had his "15 minutes", and that the B's recovered once that cancer was removed - and, no, I would not taunt him, but I would not cheer for him anymore either (I'm too tired now anyway - this cr*ppy thread gets me riled up every time...)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to MrHulot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love Tim Thomas threads.  Brings out the ol' nite.

Nachtmahr!

[/QUOTE]

Good one (pretty old though and not used much anymore - try "Albtraum" instead). Now try to pronounce it (”It's Achmed! Ach-ch-ch-ch!").

[/QUOTE]

Ha!  Have to say it like it has six syllables, right? A wu lub tra oo um... (I have no idea; my German is terrible, but apparently when I try to read Dutch phonetically, Dutch people think I must be German...).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to MrHulot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I simply cannot blame the media for TT becoming a distraction; he fed them all his bs about politics, and a journalist would be remiss if he/she didn't write about it (again, I don't care if TT is a liberal, communist, conservative, preservative, whatever).

I think you can be a fan of someone/something, and you can still maintain your ability to reflect on things in an objective way, or you can simply be a fanboy. I saw a lot of this "yeah, he made a mistake, maybe even more than just one mistake, but he's still (insert celebrity's/politician's name here), and that's all that matters" bs growing up in Europe, and I hated it (still do). I hate this "Crosby can be a royal a..hole most of the time but I don't care because he's the best player on the planet" bs as well. IMHO it's this kind of celebrity worship that brought us "stars" like Paris Hilton.
    I want to call a spade a spade; nobody gets a pass for being a pr*ck from me, not even Bobby Orr, and, btw, the Bruins won the cup in 2011 as a team, and TT was pretty good, but HE WASN'T THE SOLE REASON THEY WON THE CUP! Playoff top scorer David Krejci could have won the Conn Smythe, and it wouldn't have caused much of an uproar.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's about right.  We like to put all of the issues related to TT in one bag because, ultimately, these discussions are about whether you like TT or not - sort of a Facebook level of depth.  Really, there's three pieces to this whole conversation, and there's not much overlap between the pieces, so how anyone decides to prioritize one piece over another is more about them than TT.  1) Two Vezinas, Conn, Cup.  2) Distraction created by his decision to go public with controversial political views.  3) Left the team with a year on his contract.

1) is the reason anyone here cares about this discussion.  Thomas was an essential building block in getting the Bruins to where they are now, from stabilizing the position after years of constant transition to providing a competitive advantage to providing Conn worthy goaltending.  You can't argue what Thomas did for the Bruins. 

2) is usually used to blame him for 2012's performance, but you know, as much as they struggled after the WH fiasco, it was their scoring that deserted them and Horton's concussion was around the same time, so it's not like Thomas's actions were the sole reason.  It's also true, and generally ignored, that for the last three years, the Bruins have gone to OT in game 7 of their first round matchup.  They're 2-1.  When they get out of the first round, they've gone to the Finals.  Joel Ward scored.  Bergeron or Lucic score and they stick to this pattern?  Maybe the whole WH fiaso is forgotten.

3) is often understood as a continuation of 2.  I don't know that the reason Thomas quit matters much to me.  He has the right to quit, resign whatever just like any other person in any other job in the world.  People get upset about this for two reasons that I find completely dissonant.  A) He walked out on his team and B) he screwged the Bruins out of being able to trade him and get something for him.  So he should be loyal to the team even if the team is planning on treating him like a commodity.  This is one more place where we should remember that it's a business for the players and not just the owners.  Be mad at Thomas for walking out because you're deprived of watching one of the most entertaining goalies play; that I get.  The rest is jilt and it gets inflated by the political stuff.

In the end, for me, Tim Thomas is a guy who plays goal in the NHL.  The Bruins won a Cup in 2011.  I love that Cup, man...I really love that Cup.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

My feelings.  MY feelings.  You have a right to your own feelings.

Here are the reasons Thomas offends me.  Bailing out on his contract and politics.

************** politics.

Politically, I'm a lefty.  Left is right and right is wrong I say.

Having said that, I *strongly suggest* people keep their political views out of the workplace.

And in the same vein, I don't like politics in my music or sport.  There's PLENTY of that outside of music and sport.  No need to bring it there.

Also, there's PLENTY of time for politics once you leave pro sports, you can do it full time and run for office if you like.

If I were invited to the WH and there were some far right people in charge, I would go.  It's an honor.  Not to accept that invite is disrespectful to the country, to the office.

Roughly the audience divides up 50/50 liberal and right wing.  TT has no problems offending the 50% of the audience who don't share his views - the 50% that his paying his salary.  I believe that's disrespectful.

I have strong feelings about politics.  I *try* not to bring them here.  If I were a professional athlete, given the careers aren't that long, I wouldn't be dedicating any time towards advancing my political views, but focusing on my career.

************** bailing out on his contract.

I believe if a man signs his name to something, it's a promise.  And I don't respect a man who breaks a promise.

Having said that, yes, I can see my way to accepting the premise of having priorities of family, friend and God take precedence over that.

But - again, this is me personally - I don't believe Thomas.  If there were a family problem of a sick child, a child on drugs, a runaway child, a wife with a disease or any of the reasons I can think of where leaving the Bruins would be legit in my eyes, WE WOULD HAVE HEARD ABOUT IT.  No one has any privacy anymore, especially those in the public eye.

So I don't buy it.  For me it has all the appearance that he bailed out of his contract just to screw the Bruins.  Why?  I don't know, but it's the only reason that I can see from the outside looking in.  

If you disagree, you have other feelings about TT, fine.  This is just the way I feel about it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For me it has all the appearance that he bailed out of his contract just to screw the Bruins.  Why?  I don't know, but it's the only reason that I can see from the outside looking in.  

[/QUOTE]

The reason TT,imo, backed out on his signed contract with the B's had nothing to do with the three F's but solely about his ability to control where he would play. He likely had an inkling the Bruins were leaning towards Rask after the WH & facebook fiasco's and knew they weren't happy and there was a good chance he would be traded and he didn't want to take the chance he might end up in Edmonton.Thats it to me, nothing more nothing less, TT knew he was a goner so rather than go he was happy with the 3 yrs no trade and walked away from the 1 yr can trade. It worked for him, except no Olympics.