Thomas no-show

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1punchknockout. Show 1punchknockout's posts

Thomas no-show

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=385861

Wonder why?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Thomas no-show

Please tell me it was an injury or some other pressing matter.

Otherwise...bad form.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

If he's making a statement later on , i doubt it ,or the team would have said.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

All the comments are like "he better have a good reason."

Umm why? How is that any of our business. Be it because he doesn't approve of Obama or because he's Republican or he just flat out didn't want to go. What does it matter?

It is curious, and I'm curious, but people saying things like it really makes a difference, it doesn't to me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

@ lambda13 
    I get where your coming from, but here's why it bugs me: it's intentionally divisive. It's an atttempt to merge politics and sports, and to hijack an event that's supposed to be a sign of respect from the commander in cheif in order to make a cheap political statement. It's adolescent.

It's sad to see Tim Thomas caught up in the political  "us vs them" thinking that is curropting our country's national discourse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: Thomas no-show:
    [QUOTE]Because it's intentionally divisive. It's an atttempt to merge politics and sports, and to hijack an event that's supposed to be a sign of respect from the commander in cheif in order to make a cheap political statement. It's adolescent. It's sad to see Tim Thomas caught up in the political  "us vs them" thinking that is curropting our country's national discourse.
    Posted by Olsonic[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

this is not cool by thomas, he isnt the only one to do this but it doesnt make it right. you should respect the office of the presidency of the U.S.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

If anyone has a direct quote as to why Thomas didn't go then why speculate that he has political motivation against going? Maybe he had a family matter that he deemd more important? Maybe he didn't feel well? I have yet to see anything to point 100% at a political motivation.

I get that it is a bit underhanded if it were due to politics but even still, he has every right to not go.

Like I said, its curious, but not a matter of life and death.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'm worried about it because I don't want the Bruins dragged into Election 2012. They have enough things to worry about beyond becoming a political punching bag. Other athletes have done it, but not during such a divisive political climate. If as SI reports it is a political protest, then the Bruins will be a top story on every political pundit show and news magazine. That's not a distraction that any sports team needs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I'd be more upset if he no-showed at an event for children.

The White House trip is for the players, not for the president.

It's only divisive if you actually think the president is more than a figurehead.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]@ lambda13  I get where your coming from, but here's why it bugs me: it's intentionally divisive. It's an atttempt to merge politics and sports, and to hijack an event that's supposed to be a sign of respect from the commander in cheif in order to make a cheap political statement. It's adolescent. It's sad to see Tim Thomas caught up in the political  "us vs them" thinking that is curropting our country's national discourse.
    Posted by Olsonic[/QUOTE]
    My thoughts entirely.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

Tim Thomas was born and raised in Flint Michigan. As everyone knows the city was turned into a ghetto by industry and government policies years ago. It affected Tim, and his family greatly. I suppose since he's a multi millionaire now ~ he should just show up in Washington and pretend like the first twenty years of his life didn't happen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]Tim Thomas was born and raised in Flint Michigan. As everyone knows the city was turned into a ghetto by industry and government policies years ago. It affected Tim, and his family greatly. I suppose since he's a multi millionaire now ~ he should just show up in Washington and pretend like the first twenty years of his life didn't happen.
    Posted by jaymiller[/QUOTE]

i don't think obama had much influence on what happened in flint, mi 20 years ago.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The bottom line is if TT doesn't want to go, its a free country.It just seem's odd to make a political statement at a team celebration, but its been said before,goalies are different.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

It matters big time. One, it's a show of total disrespect... period. Two, it's a team function. I don't care what his political beliefs are, (believe me, I'm not a political person at all), he should have been there. Do you think every player from every sports team that is invited to the White House is a supporter the political party of the President? I highly doubt it. Hell, Thomas is an American playing in an American city making lots and lots of American money. I'm thinking some fans and players are not gonna be happy with this move. I REALLY hope there's more to this story then him just not wanting to go. If that was indeed the case, screw him...from a Bruin fan of 39 years.

n Response to Re: Thomas no-show:
    [QUOTE]All the comments are like "he better have a good reason." Umm why? How is that any of our business. Be it because he doesn't approve of Obama or because he's Republican or he just flat out didn't want to go. What does it matter? It is curious, and I'm curious, but people saying things like it really makes a difference, it doesn't to me.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Timmay can do no wrong by me. If he thinks it's best to avoid the pomp and circumstance and focus on hockey, it's fine as far as I'm conerned. Remember the last time this team got caught up in this stuff they went 3 and 7 to start the year. Why didn't they get invited to the white house during the summer? It's old news now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

[QUOTE]It matters big time. One, it's a show of total disrespect... period. Two, it's a team function. I don't care what his political beliefs are, (believe me, I'm not a political person at all), he should have been there. Do you think every player from every sports team that is invited to the White House is a supporter the political party of the President? I highly doubt it. Hell, Thomas is an American playing in an American city making lots and lots of American money. I'm thinking some fans and players are not gonna be happy with this move. I REALLY hope there's more to this story then him just not wanting to go. If that was indeed the case, screw him...from a Bruin fan of 39 years. n Response to Re: Thomas no-show :
    Posted by mxt[/QUOTE]

That about sums it up for me as well. At least until the play-offs start...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

it's a free country (outside the peoples republic of massachusetts) so the first amendment gives timmah the right to assemble somewhere else.  you guys are sounding like penn state fans.     

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Having voted in more elections [ 14] than most of you, I applaud Tim Thomas's decision to forego another Obama political picture show. All Americans have the right to assemble and to protest. Tim is expressing his right and I agree with him .

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from -sabot-13. Show -sabot-13's posts

A week ago, I though Timmy could do no wrong...  But if this is because of political differences, then it's a "summer's eve"-bag decision.

Just smile and shake his damn hand.  You won't get cooties and you won't get kicked out of the 1%.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RockStarr. Show RockStarr's posts

time for tuuka

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

classless bs by yet another moron...I cant stand George Bush, but I sure as heck would have responded to any invite from him, and been most respectful...when the President of the United States invites you to the White House, you wear your best suit!...all respect for Timmy is gone...idiot

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Having voted in more elections [ 14] than most of you, I applaud Tim Thomas's decision to forego another Obama political picture show. All Americans have the right to assemble and to protest. Tim is expressing his right and I agree with him .
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

I totally understand the First Amendment argument, and you are correct about his rights. However, sometimes having the right to do something does not mean you should do it. There are other mores that go into a decision of this nature. And I'm not making a political argument. Mainly I just think this will be a gigantci distraction for the team. If Scott Neidermayer, who is far to the left of Dennis Kuccinch, can go and meet Geroge W. Bush twice in order not to become a distraction, then that's the example I would have liked TT to follow.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from east-westBsfan. Show east-westBsfan's posts

I wonder if he will show next year....when the B's are celebrating their 2nd
    straigt cup...and Obama about to begin his 2nd term. I love Timmy....but got
    a feeling more now than ever that if he shows next year it will be as Kabs did today. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wil39. Show wil39's posts

I don't see Tim Thomas not being there at the dog-and-pony show as a big deal. Political or personal reasons, it's his choice, not ours. Last time I checked, as an American he has the right to do what he pleases. 

Sections
Shortcuts