Thomas no-show

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Re: Thomas no-show

In Response to Re: Thomas no-show:
    In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : As I later said. Theres some lines you don't cross! Just because we or Thomas's teammates don't agree doesn't make him wrong, because there's a lot more others who agree with what he did! A nations flag doesn't constitute or symbolize a gov't. It's a symbol of beliefs & what our forefathers fought to uphold. When one feels that his gov't doesn't uphold what those fathers did. He doesn't have to show a fake front for NOBODY! Thomas in a lot of peoples eyes may have stopped being a hero to these hypocritical fans eyes & can ONLY see the Boston Bruins & NHL's & and their own points of view are the ones being selfish! Thomas became a hero to thousands of others that don't wear a Boston Bruins Jersey! And I bet he's fine with that.
    Posted by nitemare-38

I don't necessarily disagree with your point above.  I simply think your comparison is absurd.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Rick Monday saved the American Flag from publicly being burned by two I'm sure very strong-willed Americans showing their right to freedom of speech. Except they were desecrating the very flag many spilt their blood over, the same flag we stand for the national anthem, and the same flag our children pledge allegiance to. You have the right to march on Skokie, doesn't mean you do it. Tim Thomas burned the American Flag today. I'll cheer for him as a player who backstops the B's, but I don't have more respect for someone who really did get to live the American Dream and make money doing so. Again, just because you have the right to free-think, make political stands, there are places and times for one to do that. It was a ceremony celebrating the Boston Bruins. Thomas took a leak on it.
    Posted by dannycater

And because you don't have the grapes to take a stand & Thomas did that makes you a better man? LOL please!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Every time I've talked to an immigrant or a person who grew up outside of the U.S. now living in the U.S., they remind me how much people used to care about being in a country where you are free to do what you please. They respect the flag, they respect the country that has given them a greater freedom than what they received in their homeland. I could care less if Sarah Palin were President today, you still go to the ceremony out of respect for your organization, your fans, your teammates, and oh yeah, your country. I'm tired of how people have now made the U.S. Govt. the enemy of the state. It is a time-honored tradition for champion teams to visit the White House and be praised for being champions. What's politics have to do with that? Nothing. Not a thing. Maybe that's why Chara and Krecji showed respect and understood it's an honor to go to the White House.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

who said anything about being a better man. I didn't know, you are judged by how much you hate the government. That's taking a stand? Wow. Isnt' that what the Tea Party does every rally?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Ben Franklin, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson. They took a stand. Not Tim Thomas.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : I don't necessarily disagree with your point above.  I simply think your comparison is absurd.
    Posted by 49-North

No it's not 49! Just because my comparison maybe extreme doesn't make it absurd! Someone said that because Thomas' teammates went to the whitehouse he should go for the sake of the team. Well you're a Canadian. Let me ask you this? How did you feel about Baltej Singh Dhillon?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Ben Franklin, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson. They took a stand. Not Tim Thomas.
    Posted by dannycater

What about the people who Thomas took a stand for? I think they'll disagree with you!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fairshake. Show fairshake's posts

Dannycater

According to the Economist Intelligence Unit, the US ranks only 19th in the world in democracy rankings - behind Uruguay and significantly behind Canada... and only just avoiding the rating of "Flawed Democracy" (a rating bestowed on such countries as India and Greece).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

Of course, still a wonderful country but I am always intrigued by the average American's unfailing insistence that the US is the best country in the world...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Hats off to Thomas for being his own man and being true to himself rather than cave into others opinions on what he should have done. I don't get fans negative reaction to him not seeing the president.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Needless to say it's big news up here in Toronto; even rivaling the Leafs' win.  In listening to THE FAN 590 in parths this evening Thomas has largely taken a hammering from both on-air people and callers.  I've heard everything from he should be suspended by the club to he's damaged his rep in the league to being booed in each arena to tarnishing the NHL. 

THE FAN's late night guy Norm Rumack just said Thomas should have expressed his disappointment in the voting booth and not in the manner he did and it was as if Thomas "spit on the flag."  He suggested Thomas should have shown respect for the office of the President.  Rumack lost respect for "the man not the goalie." 

I wish he'd gone with the rest of the team to an event that befits the champions much like those before him have done but hey it took a King Kong-sized set to take the stand he did in light of the heat that was to follow for an indefinite period despite him stating he'll no longer comment on the topic. 

Here's a couple of comments from today's Toronto Sun:

Tim Thomas: “I’m tired of foreigners coming to America and trying to take our jobs!” Tuukka Rask: “Dude, I’m standing right here.”

Everyone's talking about Tim Thomas, but I'm just glad the President escaped injury after an afternoon with the Boston Bruins. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

this is not cool by thomas, he isnt the only one to do this but it doesnt make it right. you should respect the office of the presidency of the U.S.
    Posted by fourrings

Nonsense. Thomas is a patriot.

I was a Thomas fan, prior to this. But now, I'm a huge Thomas fan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fairshake. Show fairshake's posts

In Response to Re: Thomas no-show :      Nonsense. Thomas is a patriot.      I was a Thomas fan, prior to this. But now, I'm a huge Thomas fan.
    Posted by TexasPat

Exactly how does this make him a patriot? Does that mean in your mind that the Congessional Medal of Honour winners who have met with the president are not patriots?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : No it's not 49! Just because my comparison maybe extreme doesn't make it absurd! Someone said that because Thomas' teammates went to the whitehouse he should go for the sake of the team. Well you're a Canadian. Let me ask you this? How did you feel about Baltej Singh Dhillon?
    Posted by nitemare-38

Again, your choice of comparable situations puzzles me.  You're comparing someone who envoked his right to religious freedom to allow him to wear a turban to a non-political team photo op at the White House? 

Let me reiterate a point that I think everyone agrees with.  The event is NON-POLITICAL.  It has nothing to do with the party affiliation of the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.  It's about the Office of the President honouring the champion of the NHL.  In one case, a guy is willing to put his job on the line for his beliefs.  In the other, a guy posts a rather lame political op-ed on his FB page.

TT, in his FB explanation himself, calls his non-attendance 'non-political'.  If that's the case, then why didn't he attend?  If he truly stands up for what he says, why did he take the rather lame route of a FB posting (and stating "this is my last statement on this matter"), rather than calling the press over, immediately after the ceremony, and stating his viewpoint (and facing questions)?  To me, that would have shown the strength of his convictions much more impressively, because it shows that he also values his team greatly. 

I think that, if TT was trying to make a point, he failed miserably in his choice of tactics.  He could have been so much more impressive -- as it is, it looks like an amateurish circus sideshow.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Wow. This has run to a lot of pages. I don't think this has been covered yet so here's Timmy's statement on why he didn't go.

http://articles.boston.com/2012-01-24/sports/30654640_1_tim-thomas-visit-white-house

Thomas issued the following statement about his absence: "I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People. This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers[sic] vision for the Federal government. Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL."

In Australia they have a much more succinct way to say this - "All politicians are bastards!" - LOL!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scotty09. Show scotty09's posts

ipot......I love your logo........where can I get a copy?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Wow. This has run to a lot of pages. I don't think this has been covered yet so here's Timmy's statement on why he didn't go. http://articles.boston.com/2012-01-24/sports/30654640_1_tim-thomas-visit-white-house In Australia they have a much more succinct way to say this - "All politicians are bastards!" - LOL!
    Posted by Kurako

ipot, check out the discussion on this in the TSN That's Hockey on Thomas thread. His statement has been posted a few times around here, but that thread talks about some of the background (RHO makes some good points) including the political body he supports and donates to, and description of it's policies, and where it stands on the political spectrum. He's not so much saying All politicians are Bastards." It's more of "All politicians, including the GOP, are too left wing."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

TryToBearIt: There you go you judging people on there politics and not there character. So you hate him now because he doesn't think like you. How pathetic and weak and puny minded. Go post your rants on a poitical blog and not on a hockey blog. Go Bruins, DC
    Posted by surfingdjc

I really shouldn't bother responding to anyone who doesn't know the difference between "their" and "there" (no, an adult getting wrong grammar a 4th grader would  know is not the same as misspelling a word), but 1) I never said I "hated" him--your words, not mine...I strongly disagree w/his political views and find him less likable than I did when I knew nothing about his opinions--quite different than "hate"....2) If you are talking politics on the hockey blog, so can I, and 3) Thomas brought this political controversy on himself and it is HIS doing that made this a political issue--or have you not noticed that the hockey writers on this and other sites are also writing about it?

Finally, i've been on this forum way longer than you and will d-mn well express whatever opinion I want, & if you had actually read my post instead of REACTING to it, you'd realize I already said I'd keep rooting for TT to stop the puck if he's in net for Boston....I would merely PREFER to have Rask take the job so in a perfect world I could root for a guy b/c he's on my team AND b/c he's not a right-wing reactionary extremist.

Got it? Doubt it. But who cares, really? Oh, and try reading a book....might help with your overall writing /grammar skills.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

So I'm guessing Rask will be getting the start in the nations capital??

Going to be a while before this thread goes away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

The only thing 'out of control' in this whole controversy is Thomas' ego.
    There is after all an 'I' in Timmy.
    What a pointless distraction.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

As an outsider looking in it is a little bizarre to see people complaining about either party as too left wing when the general opinion of most of my fellow Limeys is that you're all a little further to the right than we are. Its also a little bizarre to see the word liberal (def: lover of freedom) bandied around like a dirty word. Fox News has a lot to answer for! At least the lunatics (Bachman, et al.) haven't taken over the asylum yet so that's something of a relief.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

Tim Thomas was born and raised in Flint Michigan. As everyone knows the city was turned into a ghetto by industry and government policies years ago. It affected Tim, and his family greatly. I suppose since he's a multi millionaire now ~ he should just show up in Washington and pretend like the first twenty years of his life didn't happen.
    Posted by jaymiller

Excellent  post.  " Never  sacrifice  principle  even  on  special  occassions."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i bet if you asked the president, he'd say he was proud of TT for sticking up for what he believes(but privately upset he didn't get to meet TT!), and showing what it means to be FREE. the reason does not matter why. it's that he has the choice, for that we ALL should be thankful.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : I really shouldn't bother responding to anyone who doesn't know the difference between "their" and "there" (no, an adult getting wrong grammar a 4th grader would  know is not the same as misspelling a word), but 1) I never said I "hated" him--your words, not mine...I strongly disagree w/his political views and find him less likable than I did when I knew nothing about his opinions--quite different than "hate"....2) If you are talking politics on the hockey blog, so can I, and 3) Thomas brought this political controversy on himself and it is HIS doing that made this a political issue--or have you not noticed that the hockey writers on this and other sites are also writing about it? Finally, i've been on this forum way longer than you and will d-mn well express whatever opinion I want, & if you had actually read my post instead of REACTING to it, you'd realize I already said I'd keep rooting for TT to stop the puck if he's in net for Boston....I would merely PREFER to have Rask take the job so in a perfect world I could root for a guy b/c he's on my team AND b/c he's not a right-wing reactionary extremist. Got it? Doubt it. But who cares, really? Oh, and try reading a book....might help with your overall writing /grammar skills.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

Congrats to your 1000th post here. Nice milestone.

Sections
Shortcuts