Thomas no-show

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: Thomas no-show

In Response to Re: Thomas no-show:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : Long thread, but what's the point?  This isn't a political discussion.  Thomas' statement muddied up what little you though you could assume from his original gesture.  What's the cause?  Dislike of the government? What we have here is a bunch of right wing people celebrating the move and a bunch of left wing people blasting it, and there isn't much more to chew on for people trying to take a more nuanced view of it all. I think it is bad form no matter who is serving in the White House, but if Thomas would provide more than a vague "nobody and everyone is to blame" statement on Facebook, maybe I could take it more seriously.  Right now, I think this is a very annoying issue for the team and it has polluted our fair forum with politics. Not a fan, but I don't have much context either.  None of us do. 
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    for the record(i have tried my best to make no mention of politics) i am a HUGE supporter of obama. BUT i'm a bigger supporter of our rights as US citizens. TT exercised his right peacefully. a personal belief is a personal belief. whether you're a dem, rep, catholic, muslim, tree worshipper, ect. do these people need to explain why they believe what they do? no, nor should TT have to. takes balls to stand up for what you believe in, especially when it may not be that popular. this is freedom in action, kinds like how we all express our opinions here. should he had compromised his beliefs to satisfy the bruins, the WH, and the media? if you think yes, god help us all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : so you think no one in the media would have addressed this with TT, had he not posted it on facebook? YOU CAN"T AVOID MEDIA ATTENTION. he told us why, and said he'll not comment on the matter any further. pleading the fifth? really? "face the music".... for what? what exactly did he do wrong? he shouldn't have even needed to provide a reason, but he did, and it it was his personal beliefs that guided him to his decision. this is what it means to live in a free country. he shouldn't have felt forced to compromise his beliefs because there would be media backlash. what does TT's presence at a 12 minute press conference at the WH have to do with anything at all? good on you TT for having the intestinal fortitude to stick behind your beliefs, and not just cave to social pressures. i have more respect for him today than ever.    
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

That's not what I said. I was challenging YOUR STATEMENT that the "media" created this frenzy, and that's simply not true. TT created it and chose to report on it on Facebook--AND  just as every citizen has a right to their opinion (I agree fully; never said TT should have been "stopped" or even "punished" for doing what he did--so too does every citizen have a right to NOT comment on something. The media can ask him questions all day and all night if they want to--he is NOT compelled to reply. That's what taking the 5th is for (in testimony OR court of public opinion.) Had he chosen not to say why he didn't attend the media could only have speculated, but CLEARLY TT DID want his views known, and so expressed them on his FB page--and did so, IMO, quite disingenuously...b/c YOU tell ME--despite his weak assertion that "this is not about politics or party and that both parties are to blame..." if a Republican were in the WH right now instead of Obama do you REALLY THINK TT would have snubbed the invite...???

If you believe that I have some magic beans to sell you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : That's the point though that is bugging me.  It probably has nothing to do with how he and the team will perform.  It doesn't seem to have anything to do with his beliefs either.  It's such a meaningless thing that I don't think he made a sacrifice standing up for his beliefs, and I don't think it would have been any real compromise of them had he attended. As I commented waaaay back towards the beginning of this thread, if his belief was "The government shouldn't be wasting its time on events like this" it would have made sense.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]
    it doesn't matter WHAT his belief is, he should not be REQUIRED to compromise it, nor be chastised for doing so. sorry you "don't think any real compromise" would have been made. you see that's not for you to determine, it's for TT to determine. get it? if TT had something against houses that were white, that's his belief, and should be respected.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rod477. Show Rod477's posts

Good for Tim. When a system as monstrous as the United States government is as corrupt as it is, we should be applauding Thomas and snubbing them when election time comes as well. Of course the corrupt media is frowning on him, it's the way they play the game. When will everone else wake up ??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : That's not what I said. I was challenging YOUR STATEMENT that the "media" created this frenzy, and that's simply not true. TT created it and chose to report on it on Facebook--AND  just as every citizen has a right to their opinion (I agree fully; never said TT should have been "stopped" or even "punished" for doing what he did--so too does every citizen have a right to NOT comment on something. The media can ask him questions all day and all night if they want to--he is NOT compelled to reply. That's what taking the 5th is for (in testimony OR court of public opinion.) Had he chosen not to say why he didn't attend the media could only have speculated, but CLEARLY TT DID want his views known, and so expressed them on his FB page--and did so, IMO, quite disingenuously...b/c YOU tell ME--despite his weak assertion that "this is not about politics or party and that both parties are to blame..." if a Republican were in the WH right now instead of Obama do you REALLY THINK TT would have snubbed the invite...???   If you believe that I have some magic beans to sell you.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]
    is it really hard to believe that some people are americans first. not party first. if TT comes out with ... "i plead the fifth". this creates more controversy than what he did. then everyone is guessing what his motive was, is he a terrorist? is he a communist? why would he do such a thing? he told us why, and i'm fine with it, it's his right. btw, i'm an independent, who whole-heartedly supports obama. how much you selling those beans for?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

When will you be running for office, Tim?

If you're going to take a stand, you may as well take the ultimate stand. That's the way you usually do things, Tim. No sense in changing now.

Your hat is in the ring. Start talking.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : it doesn't matter WHAT his belief is, he should not be REQUIRED to compromise it, nor be chastised for doing so. sorry you "don't think any real compromise" would have been made. you see that's not for you to determine, it's for TT to determine. get it? if TT had something against houses that were white, that's his belief, and should be respected.   
    Of course he shouldn't be required to compromise, and people calling him names over it are being silly themselves.  He has his opinion, I'm just disappointed (and not particularly comprehending) of the means he used to express it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

[QUOTE]exactly, fairshake. Give back his medal if he is so sure the government and the country he grew up in has wronged him and his family and his hometown. It is very much a hypocrisy on his part.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Can you not still play for the country you love and call home despite your dislike for its governments policies?  The fact that he took the stance he did tells me he truly cares about the well being of US citizens and I would guess he donned the USA jersey with that pride in mind back in 2010.  That silver medal was given to him by the IOC not the American government and he earned it by simply being good enough to be considered a top US born goaltender.  USA Hockey looked past his political beliefs at the time he was selected to the team so what is the issue here? 

The hypocricy here has nothing to do with that silver medal.  TT would have been a hypocrite had he just showed up, suppressed his beliefs and bit his tongue.  I applaud this passion and would be proud to call TT a fellow American if I was one myself.  I never thought I could like or respect him more than I do today.  Agree or disagree, what he did was not easy, I admire him and am so glad he is a Bruin.

Anyone who thinks the dressing room is now divided is really reaching for a story.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

TT contolled the manner in which he released his views, preferring to not do it in front of cameras, and headline hungry reporters.  he made a STATEMENT concerning his personal beliefs, and had no obligation to explain himself any further, which is what a headline grabbing shock reporter would have been looking for. he controlled what got to the media, instead of the media making a BIGGER to do than this really is. can you imagine what the press conference would have been like? "he can't just walk away without answering our questions"- "what's he hiding?" - he addressed this issue in a way that let him hold to his beliefs, and not create an even bigger media circus.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gASnobVXOc

Did someone order a pizza with extra cheese? 

Okay just a reminder of what we need to be talking about.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : The only thing you know about is BACK STABBING A FAMILY MEMBER with a bunch of strangers! from now on I'm calling you Judeus!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say back stabbing but for certain he should not have aired out his opinion on a family member publicly and especially on this forum.
    Sorry not-a-crying-whino , I like your takes through the years and agreed with you most of the time but here you were morally wrong. 
    No matter where you or I or anyone else stands on this issue.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : Fletch we can definetly agree I want to get back to talking Hockey and the Capitals match up. I am not sure but maybe it would have been Prudent for TT to not say anything at all and just not go. Again either way we should move on. This is a hockey post not a political post. This is way to complicated an issue to discuss in a hockey forum and just keeps going on and on in a political fashion not our typical sports discussions. TT did what he did good our bad. He is still in the pipes and we should focus on that and share our political views on his actions in other venues. IMO
    Posted by Macfact[/QUOTE]

Amen Mac.  Let's take all of the angst out on the Caps.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

And we wonder why people tell us, it's not wise to bring up politics or religion?
       11 pages and counting.....and not even a hockey debate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from vermonter1956. Show vermonter1956's posts

agree or not ,if this is so special, then why did the white house wait until the new season was half over before hosting the bruins, talk about disrespect? and as for tim he has ever right not to go.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]  And we wonder why people tell us, it's not wise to bring up politics or religion?    11 pages and counting.....and not even a hockey debate.
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]
    The Blog post cracked 1000 posts.  None of the Finals game logs came close, even with some Canucks fans stirring the pot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]agree or not ,if this is so special, then why did the white house wait until the new season was half over before hosting the bruins, talk about disrespect? and as for tim he has ever right not to go.
    Posted by vermonter1956[/QUOTE]

Your first post is a pretty lame one.  They always do it this way.  It is difficult to schedule a time that works for 35 people who are in-season 9+ months out of the year.  Therefore they usually do it when the team plays the Caps since they would all be in Washington anyhow.  The Bruins play the Caps today.  Clear enough for you?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : is it really hard to believe that some people are americans first. not party first. if TT comes out with ... "i plead the fifth". this creates more controversy than what he did. then everyone is guessing what his motive was, is he a terrorist? is he a communist? why would he do such a thing? he told us why, and i'm fine with it, it's his right. btw, i'm an independent, who whole-heartedly supports obama. how much you selling those beans for?

Don't worry--for you, they're free ;-)

i'm merely saying that TT did have a choice...whether or not it would have created more controversy (hard to see how that could be given what's happened here) he could have refused any questions on the matter. I fully support his right not to attend...but he should not be surprised or whine about what happens after he decides to take such a stance. He's allowed his opinion as am I.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the fact that we can openly debate this openly, or choose to not attend a WH function, if we feel it compromises our beliefs, is why i love this country so much. freedom baby

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

You liberals are amazing! a visit to the whitehouse? RAAAAAA RAAAAAAAAA RAAAAAAAA BIG FREAKEN DEAL! the reaction from the liberals is the real story here. let me remind you that Timmy is probably the best Bruin ever to wear the uniform up there with number 4 Bobby Orr. let me also remind you that it was no big deal when Theo dogged president Bush. let me also remind the brain dead that Timmy isn't the first to reject a whitehouse visit. Dan Hampton of the chicago bears just rejected a visit a few months ago and some nascar drivers as well. let me also remind you that all of the Bruins players and managment are not even freaken Americans! you think Neely or Chia knows whats really going on in America or actually care? get a life! most of the players are 20 year old kids who are not Amerian and dont know anything but hockey and girlfreinds. Tim Thomas is the most mature MAN on the team with a wife and family who happens to be American and actually knows what's going on is his country.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

[QUOTE]this is not cool by thomas, he isnt the only one to do this but it doesnt make it right. you should respect the office of the presidency of the U.S.
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]

You can respect the office amd not respect the man in it..I consider it a choice and he made his....Would you go smile to a man that you dont like ( or respect) just for the sake of a stupid tradition????

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]You liberals are amazing! a visit to the whitehouse? RAAAAAA RAAAAAAAAA RAAAAAAAA BIG FREAKEN DEAL! the reaction from the liberals is the real story here. let me remind you that Timmy is probably the best Bruin ever to wear the uniform up there with number 4 Bobby Orr. let me also remind you that it was no big deal when Theo dogged president Bush. let me also remind the brain dead that Timmy isn't the first to reject a whitehouse visit. Dan Hampton of the chicago bears just rejected a visit a few months ago and some nascar drivers as well. let me also remind you that all of the Bruins players and managment are not even freaken Americans! you think Neely or Chia knows whats really going on in America or actually care? get a life! most of the players are 20 year old kids who are not Amerian and dont know anything but hockey and girlfreinds. Tim Thomas is the most mature MAN on the team with a wife and family who happens to be American and actually knows what's going on is his country.
    Posted by riptide757[/QUOTE]
    you lost ALL credibility when you started with "you liberals..." this is not a dem vs. rep issue. this is a freedom to do as you please issue. a don't tread on me for my beliefs issue. to bad you can't get past conservative-good, liberal-bad thought. simpleton

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : That's not what I said. I was challenging YOUR STATEMENT that the "media" created this frenzy, and that's simply not true. TT created it and chose to report on it on Facebook--AND  just as every citizen has a right to their opinion (I agree fully; never said TT should have been "stopped" or even "punished" for doing what he did--so too does every citizen have a right to NOT comment on something. The media can ask him questions all day and all night if they want to--he is NOT compelled to reply. That's what taking the 5th is for (in testimony OR court of public opinion.) Had he chosen not to say why he didn't attend the media could only have speculated, but CLEARLY TT DID want his views known, and so expressed them on his FB page--and did so, IMO, quite disingenuously...b/c YOU tell ME--despite his weak assertion that "this is not about politics or party and that both parties are to blame..." if a Republican were in the WH right now instead of Obama do you REALLY THINK TT would have snubbed the invite...???   If you believe that I have some magic beans to sell you.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

Typical response..... But in fact, since renaldus magnus(RR), the goverment has been run by the same ilk.....and now we are the slaves to them....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]You liberals are amazing! a visit to the whitehouse? RAAAAAA RAAAAAAAAA RAAAAAAAA BIG FREAKEN DEAL! the reaction from the liberals is the real story here. let me remind you that Timmy is probably the best Bruin ever to wear the uniform up there with number 4 Bobby Orr. let me also remind you that it was no big deal when Theo dogged president Bush. let me also remind the brain dead that Timmy isn't the first to reject a whitehouse visit. Dan Hampton of the chicago bears just rejected a visit a few months ago and some nascar drivers as well. let me also remind you that all of the Bruins players and managment are not even freaken Americans! you think Neely or Chia knows whats really going on in America or actually care? get a life! most of the players are 20 year old kids who are not Amerian and dont know anything but hockey and girlfreinds. Tim Thomas is the most mature MAN on the team with a wife and family who happens to be American and actually knows what's going on is his country.
    Posted by riptide757[/QUOTE]

That's what this page needed -- a long partisan political rant with poor grammar and diction...

And no, I am neither a liberal nor a Democrat.  Go back to the political ranting forums...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I know, I know, it's beating a deadhorse between those that are disappointed in Thomas and those that for some bizarre reason think by acting like a poor version of Curt Schilling he is somehow now a better person, or great citizen. Again, whatever happened to respect for the office, respect for the flag, respect for those that fight for our freedom....none of that came into play for TT yesterday. He willfully and in a very public, calculated manner, make a very high profile political statement. I don't deny anyone's right to do that. I deny the timing of it and the forum he used. He put a statement on Facebook like a coward and didn't show for what? A ceremony celebrating the Boston Bruins winning the Stanley Cup. Everyone who is jumping on the TT bandwagon forgets, this was not a political ceremony. The White House has celebrated the champions of major sports teams for years and in no such ceremony was politics even remotely discussed.

It was about celebrating. That's it. TT chose it to make a political statement. How does that make him more respected. You really think the other 19 B's in the locker-room tonight respects him more after what he did? Really? He just caused a rift in the lockerrom, with the Boston media (never f with them or you can end up like most who do--Ex-Boston athletes), and his own organization who pays his 5-million dollar salary. He did credit card commercials. He eats the pie, and people pay top dollar to see him backstop the B's whether it's on the NHL package or at a game. He lives on the Fat of the Land. He lives the American Dream. Be a man, show up, then make your case. Then tell the media in person how you feel. He's a coward and he showed up the highest office of our country (save for all the Canadians on this board).

You can forget this ever happened, but it did, and now he will take some heat for it. Probably get booed in some arenas. He brought this on himself. No other person to blame, not even the U.S. Govt.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from z-man1. Show z-man1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : Excellent  post.  " Never  sacrifice  principle  even  on  special  occassions."
    Posted by zeitgeist49[/QUOTE]

But if you look at who ran Flint into the ground, and sent all the jobs out of town, and out of the country - it was the republicans (Newt's Reagan) and the million/billionaires, who love the idea of low, low taxes...yet strangely they are the "team" he's now supporting...a head of the guys he dresses with everyday. 

A guy who makes 5 million dollars to play a game shouldn't want to pay taxes...why would he...there isn't a problem in his life that he can't throw money at. It's the people who had to save up to buy the TT sweater, who didn't get to see him on their team yesterday...and are hoping like hell he's going to go back to stopping shots, rather than taking the easy and cheap ones...

Sections
Shortcuts