Thomas no-show

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Thomas no-show

I could care less about whether Tim Thomas wanted to take a tour of the White House, and I will guarantee you that it is even less of a distraction to his non-American teammates than it is to me.  I could care less about his political views, though I do respect someone, anyone, for standing up for what they think is right regardless of whether I agree with it or not.

I do think it's fascinating people saying it is disrespectful for him not to meet the president. The USA is a democracy.  That means that the president is elected and given authority by the citizens. Without their support he does not have a job. By definition the country is ruled by its citizens. The president is not a king, he is a public servant.  Thomas not agreeing to meet with Obama, that is not disrespectful, that is his right. Now Obama refusing to meet with Thomas or any other citizen to whom he is accountable to, that is what would be disrespectful, though I fully understand that he does not have time to have a chat with a few hundred million voters.

Personally I like that it gives the hockey world another reason to talk about/hate/love the big, bad, nasty, evil, virtuous Boston Bruins!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayRamsey. Show JayRamsey's posts

What's more important, winning another cup or placating the politics of the moment? And don't think the negative comments made here have no consequences.

Why do you think the White House invites teams or winning athletes for a visit? Publicity, pure campaign publicity.

Obama may "represent" the country but the politics and poor performance spans the decades. What happened in Flint 20 years ago also happened last year in Burlington, Vt, Lowell, Ma, and most areas of the country where good people lost jobs and will be unemployed for the rest of their lives.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

If Tim could save us from four more years of this clown I will consider it his best save ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Re: Thomas no-show:
    [QUOTE]If Tim could save us from four more years of this clown I will consider it his best save ever
    Posted by michaelf101[/QUOTE]
    thanks for adding nothing but your political allegiance to the debate. sorry you missed the point of this discussion. better luck next time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]If Tim could save us from four more years of this clown I will consider it his best save ever
    Posted by michaelf101[/QUOTE]

Okay non-regular posters who have come here just to make a personal political statement -- run along.

This is a Bruins hockey forum.  It's a shame that Thomas did something to make you all come here.  Back to hockey. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I just don't understand what he hopes to accomplish.  He's not raising awareness of some little-know cause, he's not undermining some political event, I'd be shocked if even a single person has a change of any political opinion as a result of this.  The only thing that seems likely to come from this is the media mini-frenzy.

Standing up for your beliefs is well and all, but make it actually count for something.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]I just don't understand what he hopes to accomplish.  He's not raising awareness of some little-know cause, he's not undermining some political event, I'd be shocked if even a single person has a change of any political opinion as a result of this.  The only thing that seems likely to come from this is the media mini-frenzy. Standing up for your beliefs is well and all, but make it actually count for something.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]
    TT did not create the media frenzy. the media created the media frenzy. don't you realize they need something to talk about...the more shocking the better. TT is sticking by his beliefs, for TT. not for you, not for me, for himself. it's called being true to yourself. if those are his feelings, and he feels strongly enough about them, he's certainly entitled. the easy thing to do would have been to go to the WH and placate everyone else but himself. the hard thing to do is stand behind your personal beliefs, realizing everyone will there will be a media feeding frenzy following. yeah, we all know how much of an attention seeker TT is right? c'mon

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

DrCC actually by the fact that this the longest thread on a HOCKEY Post about the Bruins a point has been made and views have been expressed and discussed at naseum I must add. We live in a country where everyone is allowed to believe what they will and respect comes from disagreeing with the view points not distinguishing the preson who has thas views as a flawed person. This has more than made a statment for better or worse and forced people to take a look at themselves and their views. It is a constutional right to do so.
    Again he is a hockey player and we are his fans regardless of his political views. He has brought back the stanely cup, the vezina and the con smythe to Boston. What more can we ask from our storied hero between the pipes. The only way this does not make a difference is if like the Bruins organization we support his views and move on. The more it is discussed the more weight and both sides of the political banter strengthen in resolve. 
    I am hockey fan and I choose to worry about his stats on the ice. I have my own feelings about his actions which I have not share and will not share because this is a hockey board not a political board. I remain a loyal Tim Thomas hockey fan and offer him the same respect he offers me when he takes the ice in a Bruin's jersey every night and competes like he was Moog and Lemelin combined.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : TT did not create the media frenzy. the media created the media frenzy. don't you realize they need something to talk about...the more shocking the better. TT is sticking by his beliefs, for TT. not for you, not for me, for himself. it's called being true to yourself. if those are his feelings, and he feels strongly enough about them, he's certainly entitled. the easy thing to do would have been to go to the WH and placate everyone else but himself. the hard thing to do is stand behind your personal beliefs, realizing everyone will there will be a media feeding frenzy following. yeah, we all know how much of an attention seeker TT is right? c'mon
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

Respectfully disagree, adk...because TT made it a point to post his reasons for not attending on his Facebook page, he most certainly did create the media frenzy, knowing full well it would be reported on. had he truly wanted to avoid any media attention, he would have simply not shown up and not said why, taking the 5th. But he didn't, and so must face whatever music ensues.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskerr. Show dskerr's posts

I understand and respect his right to do this, but I am disappointed in him.  Tim Thomas is an American citizen, but he also represents the Boston Bruins and the city of Boston, so I wish he would have been there for the team and put his political views aside for one day.  And what did he really accomplish anyway?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

I admit that I have not read the entire 10 pages on this thread but my take is that TT should have been there with his team. But, as long as he stops the puck that is what I care about.

The part of his statement that sticks with me is the reference to "property". This guy spent most of his career in europe or in the minors and probably never made much money to show for it. Finally, he makes it to the NHL and EARNS a big big contract. How do you think he feels when he opens his check every week and sees that the government took half of his money in taxes. I'm guessing this may be the real reason he was not  there yesterday. I like Timmy but must admit he is not the most well spoken athlete I have ever heard and sometimes comes across as a man of very "average" intelligence. I think this may be a short sighted decision made by a man who did not really think about how his actions would be interpreted.

Like any other 'crisis', this will eventually blow over and we can all go back to talking about hockey again.
    Go Bruins !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]DrCC actually by the fact that this the longest thread on a HOCKEY Post about the Bruins a point has been made and views have been expressed and discussed at naseum I must add. We live in a country where everyone is allowed to believe what they will and respect comes from disagreeing with the view points not distinguishing the preson who has thas views as a flawed person. This has more than made a statment for better or worse and forced people to take a look at themselves and their views. It is a constutional right to do so. Again he is a hockey player and we are his fans regardless of his political views. He has brought back the stanely cup, the vezina and the con smythe to Boston. What more can we ask from our storied hero between the pipes. The only way this does not make a difference is if like the Bruins organization we support his views and move on. The more it is discussed the more weight and both sides of the political banter strengthen in resolve.  I am hockey fan and I choose to worry about his stats on the ice. I have my own feelings about his actions which I have not share and will not share because this is a hockey board not a political board. I remain a loyal Tim Thomas hockey fan and offer him the same respect he offers me when he takes the ice in a Bruin's jersey every night and competes like he was Moog and Lemelin combined.
    Posted by Macfact[/QUOTE]

Long thread, but what's the point?  This isn't a political discussion.  Thomas' statement muddied up what little you though you could assume from his original gesture.  What's the cause?  Dislike of the government?

What we have here is a bunch of right wing people celebrating the move and a bunch of left wing people blasting it, and there isn't much more to chew on for people trying to take a more nuanced view of it all.

I think it is bad form no matter who is serving in the White House, but if Thomas would provide more than a vague "nobody and everyone is to blame" statement on Facebook, maybe I could take it more seriously.  Right now, I think this is a very annoying issue for the team and it has polluted our fair forum with politics.

Not a fan, but I don't have much context either.  None of us do. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : TT did not create the media frenzy. the media created the media frenzy. don't you realize they need something to talk about...the more shocking the better. TT is sticking by his beliefs, for TT. not for you, not for me, for himself. it's called being true to yourself. if those are his feelings, and he feels strongly enough about them, he's certainly entitled. the easy thing to do would have been to go to the WH and placate everyone else but himself. the hard thing to do is stand behind your personal beliefs, realizing everyone will there will be a media feeding frenzy following. yeah, we all know how much of an attention seeker TT is right? c'mon
    As another already pointed out, I'm sure Thomas had to realize (especially in an election year) that the media would take any story, no matter how tiny, and run with it.  It's fine that he's standing up for what he believes in, it just doesn't seem like a productive way of doing so at all from the political standpoint, and potentially detrimental from the team standpoint.  It just seems silly.  As do most of the reactions to it (both sides!).  Hopefully it will get it's 15 minutes of press and then things will move back to hockey.

@Macfact - Yes, it is generating a lot of discussion... on whether it was a dumb/patriotic/unpatriotic/etc thing to do.  Very little (if any) have had to do with his actual views, and how much sense they make.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

For me I have little political feeling on the whole situation.  I would have taken the tour for sure and snapped a photo with the Prez that I could put on my facebook.  But if there was an institution that I really had a moral issue with, I would have a hard time going there and smiling and shaking hands.  I respect people that don't conceal their morals for public approval.  Thomas wasn't making a statement so much as he was not pretending that a problem that he feels exists is not there.  He didn't want to stand there and act like he is OK with the US government system.  He feels his country is not operating the way it should.  I could care less about his views, but respect him for not hiding them and at the same time not jamming them down anyone's throat.

[QUOTE]I just don't understand what he hopes to accomplish.  He's not raising awareness of some little-know cause, he's not undermining some political event, I'd be shocked if even a single person has a change of any political opinion as a result of this.  The only thing that seems likely to come from this is the media mini-frenzy. Standing up for your beliefs is well and all, but make it actually count for something.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]Good for Tim Thomas. He has every right to do what he thinks is right. I'd love to be a fly on the locker room wall (most of his teammates, as Canadians or Europenas, will be lauding the guy!). But I agree with the Boston Globe commentary - he should return the silver medal he won for his country at the Olympics. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
    Posted by fairshake[/QUOTE]

You might want to reconsider that assumption. Andrew Ference for one, is an avowed liberal, having said in the past that if he had his way, Ralph Nader would be President. And by all press accounts every Bruin at the event (and they ALL were except for Thomas) had a great time and was thrilled to be there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]For me I have little political feeling on the whole situation.  I would have taken the tour for sure and snapped a photo with the Prez that I could put on my facebook.  But if there was an institution that I really had a moral issue with, I would have a hard time going there and smiling and shaking hands.  I respect people that don't conceal their morals for public approval.  Thomas wasn't making a statement so much as he was not pretending that a problem that he feels exists is not there.  He didn't want to stand there and act like he is OK with the US government system.  He feels his country is not operating the way it should.  I could care less about his views, but respect him for not hiding them and at the same time not jamming them down anyone's throat. In Response to Re: Thomas no-show :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    Most sensible explanation I've see, though I'm still not sure I see how being at a meet-the-President event is tantamount to endorsing the government.  I guess he just takes this very seriously.  More seriously than I would for sure.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : Respectfully disagree, adk...because TT made it a point to post his reasons for not attending on his Facebook page, he most certainly did create the media frenzy, knowing full well it would be reported on. had he truly wanted to avoid any media attention, he would have simply not shown up and not said why, taking the 5th. But he didn't, and so must face whatever music ensues.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]
    so you think no one in the media would have addressed this with TT, had he not posted it on facebook? YOU CAN"T AVOID MEDIA ATTENTION. he told us why, and said he'll not comment on the matter any further. pleading the fifth? really? "face the music".... for what? what exactly did he do wrong? he shouldn't have even needed to provide a reason, but he did, and it it was his personal beliefs that guided him to his decision. this is what it means to live in a free country. he shouldn't have felt forced to compromise his beliefs because there would be media backlash. what does TT's presence at a 12 minute press conference at the WH have to do with anything at all? good on you TT for having the intestinal fortitude to stick behind your beliefs, and not just cave to social pressures. i have more respect for him today than ever.    

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : Long thread, but what's the point?  This isn't a political discussion.  Thomas' statement muddied up what little you though you could assume from his original gesture.  What's the cause?  Dislike of the government? What we have here is a bunch of right wing people celebrating the move and a bunch of left wing people blasting it, and there isn't much more to chew on for people trying to take a more nuanced view of it all. I think it is bad form no matter who is serving in the White House, but if Thomas would provide more than a vague "nobody and everyone is to blame" statement on Facebook, maybe I could take it more seriously.  Right now, I think this is a very annoying issue for the team and it has polluted our fair forum with politics. Not a fan, but I don't have much context either.  None of us do. 
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Fletch we can definetly agree I want to get back to talking Hockey and the Capitals match up. I am not sure but maybe it would have been Prudent for TT to not say anything at all and just not go. Again either way we should move on. This is a hockey post not a political post. This is way to complicated an issue to discuss in a hockey forum and just keeps going on and on in a political fashion not our typical sports discussions. TT did what he did good our bad. He is still in the pipes and we should focus on that and share our political views on his actions in other venues. IMO

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : so you think no one in the media would have addressed this with TT, had he not posted it on facebook? YOU CAN"T AVOID MEDIA ATTENTION. he told us why, and said he'll not comment on the matter any further. pleading the fifth? really? "face the music".... for what? what exactly did he do wrong? he shouldn't have even needed to provide a reason, but he did, and it it was his personal beliefs that guided him to his decision. this is what it means to live in a free country. he shouldn't have felt forced to compromise his beliefs because there would be media backlash. what does TT's presence at a 12 minute press conference at the WH have to do with anything at all? good on you TT for having the intestinal fortitude to stick behind your beliefs, and not just cave to social pressures. i have more respect for him today than ever.    
    That's the point though that is bugging me.  It probably has nothing to do with how he and the team will perform.  It doesn't seem to have anything to do with his beliefs either.  It's such a meaningless thing that I don't think he made a sacrifice standing up for his beliefs, and I don't think it would have been any real compromise of them had he attended.

As I commented waaaay back towards the beginning of this thread, if his belief was "The government shouldn't be wasting its time on events like this" it would have made sense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I'm not going to chastize and criticize him for using his right as a free man.

Saying that he should have went and kept his head down is saying that he should conform to what you/society/media wants him to do. TT has every right to decline the offer just as you have every right to criticize his decision.

The only difference is that you/society/media are saying that he should repress his free will, cave to pressure, and do what you want him to do.

A weak man goes along with the crowd, a strong man stands up for what he believes in. I respect the latter.

If the government was squeaky clean and everyone in it was a model citizen, I'd be on the side criticizing him. Since it is far from that, I decline to criticize anyone that has a problem with government no matter who is running it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krispy73. Show Krispy73's posts

Those who know me around here know how I feel about Tim Thomas. Those who don't, I am one of the few who stood by his goaltending game in and game out when the majority were screaming for Tuukka and for Chiarelli to trade Timmy. I knew which direction he leaned politically. We ALL knew. I didnt like it, but I do my best not to pass judgement on a human being for which box they tick on Election Day. Something quite a few of you struggle with minute to minute. God forbid you're on a different political side! The name calling and chest beating makes me want to vomit. Shame on you all. Lib-tards, fascists, communists, pinkos. All these insults for merely looking at life differently. It's shameful.

When they announced the date for the team to go to Washington I said to myself. 'Oh crap, Timmy isn't going to go.' When I saw the photos I scanned each one looking for his face and my heart sank. I had hoped he would put his pride aside and attended. That he would put SELF aside and place TEAM first.

I still love TT the hockey player, but the respect and admiration I had for the man is a little tarnished because I think he made the wrong decision. Ultimately he's got to live with it, not me, but as someone who stuck by him all of these years I can't help but feel a little let down.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : Long thread, but what's the point?  This isn't a political discussion.  Thomas' statement muddied up what little you though you could assume from his original gesture.  What's the cause?  Dislike of the government? What we have here is a bunch of right wing people celebrating the move and a bunch of left wing people blasting it, and there isn't much more to chew on for people trying to take a more nuanced view of it all. I think it is bad form no matter who is serving in the White House, but if Thomas would provide more than a vague "nobody and everyone is to blame" statement on Facebook, maybe I could take it more seriously.  Right now, I think this is a very annoying issue for the team and it has polluted our fair forum with politics. Not a fan, but I don't have much context either.  None of us do. 
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

What more do you want him to say. He believes the system (way the US governs) is broken like millions of other Americans. Where you think he is vague or confusing is beyond me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

[QUOTE]For me I have little political feeling on the whole situation.  I would have taken the tour for sure and snapped a photo with the Prez that I could put on my facebook.  But if there was an institution that I really had a moral issue with, I would have a hard time going there and smiling and shaking hands.  I respect people that don't conceal their morals for public approval.  Thomas wasn't making a statement so much as he was not pretending that a problem that he feels exists is not there.  He didn't want to stand there and act like he is OK with the US government system.  He feels his country is not operating the way it should.  I could care less about his views, but respect him for not hiding them and at the same time not jamming them down anyone's throat. In Response to Re: Thomas no-show :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    On that I wish we would all agree OatesCam. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

For the people saying he should give back his silver medal

You can love your country and hate your government, it's actually quite prevalent.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas no-show : Since President Obama has done everything he could to help rescue the auto industry IN MICHIGAN , it doesnt make sense
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]

Excellent point. GM is now the #1 auto maker in the world. Obama's "government-intrusion bailout" as TT would see it, saved literally hundreds of thousands of jobs given the connections to workers needed to make the parts to supply GM beyond its own workforce of thousands.

But hey, if TT would rather see thousands out of work in his home state rather than accept any help from the gummint, so be it.

Sections
Shortcuts