Thomas # retired?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dg89. Show dg89's posts

Thomas # retired?

Long time reader on this board but have never contributed. In a recent discussion with some fellow B's fans the question came up  If Thomas was to retire at this point in his career has he done enough to have his number retired by the B's?
     With 2 Vezinas ,Conne Smythe, Key factor in bringing cup back to Boston and several league and team goalie records broken is this enough?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Thomas # retired?

I would say yes Thomas would have his number retired no doubt about it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Don't forget the Jennings, and the fan adoration. And the playoff save record, and...

Yes, yes, yes.

In Response to Thomas # retired?:
    [QUOTE]Long time reader on this board but have never contributed. In a recent discussion with some fellow B's fans the question came up  If Thomas was to retire at this point in his career has he done enough to have his number retired by the B's?  With 2 Vezinas ,Conne Smythe, Key factor in bringing cup back to Boston and several league and team goalie records broken is this enough?
    Posted by dg89[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KCMDux88. Show KCMDux88's posts

I think he needs a couple of more Vezina type seasons, and probably another cup.  He's on his way though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

He hasn't been here long enough yet. Give him a few more seasons and there's not a lot of doubt.

I must say though, I'm not a fan of retiring numbers. I like the idea that a player can honor his childhood idol by wearing the same number.

Not to mention I'm really not a fan of racecar numbers on jerseys...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

TT is becoming the Sandy Koufax of hockey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dg89. Show dg89's posts

Just curious to you reasoning an argument can be made he's already accomplished more than Neely the only thing would be lacking is his time in a B's inoform.In Response to Re: Thomas # retired?:
    [QUOTE]I think he needs a couple of more Vezina type seasons, and probably another cup.  He's on his way though.
    Posted by KCMDux88[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

In terms of contract years TT has been with the Bruins as long as Neely was in uniform. Neely played 525 regular season games as a skater. TT is at 333 regular season games as a goalie. He's got a hell of a lot more hardware than Neely ever did. He'll likely play about 40 more games this season and anywhere from 35 to 60 next year. Assuming 90 more games between this year and next, I can't see why not. Hell he could even extend his contract after that.

In Response to Re: Thomas # retired?:
    [QUOTE]He hasn't been here long enough yet. Give him a few more seasons and there's not a lot of doubt. I must say though, I'm not a fan of retiring numbers. I like the idea that a player can honor his childhood idol by wearing the same number. Not to mention I'm really not a fan of racecar numbers on jerseys...
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]Just curious to you reasoning an argument can be made he's already accomplished more than Neely the only thing would be lacking is his time in a B's inoform.In Response to Re: Thomas # retired? :
    Posted by dg89[/QUOTE]

you can't make that argument. Thomas has had what? 5 great seasons?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

As much as I am a TT fan. I think you'd have to retire Cheevers as well. I don't think it would be at fair to just give the #30 to TT.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

By B's standards he should have his number retired.  I think the Bruins retire way too many sweaters though, so I wouldn't. Heck, there's practically no single digits left.  I think that only Orr and Bourque should be retired.  Maybe Schmit and Shore. Or maybe just Orr period.  I think future generations should be able to wear a number in tribute to past heroes. In a few decades there will be no numbers to wear.  The lines will look like 85-72-48, 98-92-39, 97-58-6. No Bruin ever has any luck with 6 so it will never be retired.  But the lineup will look stupid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]TT is becoming the Sandy Koufax of hockey.
    Posted by jerrynewyork[/QUOTE]

Nice one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Without a doubt yes

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]By B's standards he should have his number retired.  I think the Bruins retire way too many sweaters though, so I wouldn't. Heck, there's practically no single digits left.  I think that only Orr and Bourque should be retired.  Maybe Schmit and Shore. Or maybe just Orr period.  I think future generations should be able to wear a number in tribute to past heroes. In a few decades there will be no numbers to wear.  The lines will look like 85-72-48, 98-92-39, 97-58-6. No Bruin ever has any luck with 6 so it will never be retired.  But the lineup will look stupid.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Espo?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

My standards are high. For me it should only be the players that no one would even think of wearing their number again, or the kind of player that defined a generation in the league- not just in Boston. Phil doesn't cut it, Bourque was already wearing #7.  Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Richard, Seguin (: these kinds of players. Retiring 2 or 3 a decade means there will not be many numbers left soon. And I would love to see Lucic out there wearing #8 giving me deja vu.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas # retired? : Espo?
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Oates you're wrong! Espo wore #6. Go to the other thread about 49 North.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

Other than several more Stanley Cup Banners the only other thing that I would like to see hanging in the rafters of the Gaaden is Tanks number, I think he is there and without him there would have been no Stanley Cup Parade this year. I vote a resounding yes to retiring his number.

Go Bruins!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Cecil Thompson won the Vezina four times and a Cup.  His number isn't up there. 

Thomas has 333 NHL games.  Thompson had 252 wins for the B's.

Thompson needs to go up well before Thomas does.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Entirely different era. Cups were a lot easier to come by in a tiny league.

That said, yes, Thompson deserves to be up there too.

[QUOTE]Cecil Thompson won the Vezina four times and a Cup.  His number isn't up there.  Thomas has 333 NHL games.  Thompson had 252 wins for the B's. Thompson needs to go up well before Thomas does.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

They will probably retire Thomas and Cheevers' number together.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Entirely different era. Cups were a lot easier to come by in a tiny league. That said, yes, Thompson deserves to be up there too. In Response to Re: Thomas # retired? :
    Posted by bandgbleeder[/QUOTE]

Compare Thompson to his peers. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Yes, his numbers were absurd. Him not being up there wasn't the question. That's a failure (or insult) of previous ownership.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas # retired? : Compare Thompson to his peers. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Two Vezinas, a Conn Smythe, a Cup, and a modern day record for save %.

My bet is yes.