Thomas Trade???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Re: Thomas Trade???

Jim Matheson must have missed the 2009-2010 season when Rask was the Bruins playoff starter...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Thomas Trade???:
    a a Article rank 29 Jan 2012 Edmonton Journal Tim Thomas’s no-trade clause in Boston ends on July 1, so the Bruins theoretically could move the soonto-be 38-year-old goalie and install Tuukka Rask as the No. 1 if his play drops off in the next few months or upper management doesn’t think it can abide by Thomas’s snub of the White House visit. Thomas makes $3 million next year, but his cap hit is $5 million on the last year of his $20-million, four-year package. Is Rask ready to be a starter? The stats say yes, but the jury is still out because he hasn’t been a playoff goalie. Jim Matheson's story in today's Edmonton Journal. Makes sense.
    Posted by Stuke50

The key here, is that Thomas makes 3 mil next year.  He can't possibly screw up enough with what's left of this year , to not make that amount....absolute robbery for any team next year.
    Only the elite, and mismanaged teams have cap issues, so for many teams...it's about the money...not the cap.  All of those teams have players  the B's could be eyeing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

So Dupont thinks TT should be traded.  I think the Globe should fire Dupont.
    He hasn't stopped tweeting a trade since last week.  He's relentless.

Kevin Paul Dupont @GlobeKPD

Ugh, don't like that. Thomas mistake was huge and I would trade him, but...unfair to suggest it was racial.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Ah, the best* thing about modern news media: half the stories are about what other media people are saying about an event.  News about news reporting!

*Sarcasm disclaimer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

TT won't be traded this year.  He has a no trade and wants to win another cup.  He's also a game breaker.  You only need to look at the all-star game last night and the way he battled.  He really was the difference maker. The Bruins don't have a pressing need on their roster that they would need to trade Tim Thomas to fill.  There is nothing that they could get in a trade that would make them more prepared for the playoffs than simply keeping Thomas.

That said, I think it has long been the Bruins plan to trade Timmy if Tuukka is ready this summer.  The no-trade is over and the actual money Thomas earns goes down so it's an easy contract to swallow. Rask will get a raise so the Bruins would like to move Tim's cap hit.  If the Bruins have another big run they could easily nab a 1st rounder from a team in exchange for Thomas in the off-season.

The whole white house thing is irrelevant, other than it making a Thomas trade easier to swallow for a big chunk of the population that are democrats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

I think TT and a Canadian team would make a good combo. Send him off

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

TT won't be traded this year.  He has a no trade and wants to win another cup.  He's also a game breaker.  You only need to look at the all-star game last night and the way he battled.  He really was the difference maker. The Bruins don't have a pressing need on their roster that they would need to trade Tim Thomas to fill.  There is nothing that they could get in a trade that would make them more prepared for the playoffs than simply keeping Thomas. That said, I think it has long been the Bruins plan to trade Timmy if Tuukka is read this summer.  The no-trade is over and the actual money Thomas earns goes down so it's an easy contract to swallow. Rask will get a raise so the Bruins would like to move Tim's cap hit.  If the Bruins have another big run they could easily nab a 1st rounder from a team in exchange for Thomas in the off-season. The whole white house thing is irrelevant, other than it making a Thomas trade easier to swallow for a big chunk of the population that are democrats.
    Posted by OatesCam

good post

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

the possibility of a Tim Thomas trade in the coming off season is realistic without any reference to his individuality. In fact, his passion and agressiveness are what another team will want. In return, look for a solid defenseman plus one of the clubs that have a young and future goalie, to replace Khudobin in Providence. THN has an entire issue on young and future goalies, none who are on the Bruins beyond Rask.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from grizzlybear69. Show grizzlybear69's posts

TIMMY stays another year.  Can you imagine what Bobby  Orr;s first broken stick at the old Garden would be worth in a trade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Thomas for Luongo - straight up.

We'll give you our goalie and still beat you

What would THAT riot look like?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

The whole white house thing is irrelevant, other than it making a Thomas trade easier to swallow for a big chunk of the population that are democrats.
    Posted by OatesCam

This is the truth, I think others have mentioned it.  I Love Timmay as much as the next guy, but I think trading him this offseason very likely will be the best use of our commodities. 

If we don't trade him this offseason, I hope we sign him to an extension.  Is that crazy talk?  Could he sign on for three more years to be the 1b?  I don't think he would accept that type of proposal, nor do I think he should.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

joey the blackhawks jr reporter for kpd and fluto. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

This is posted today on the TSN site:

Tim Thomas isn't going anywhere.

Boston Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli shot down any trade rumours on Monday, saying there were no plans to move his star goaltender.

"Not trading him," Chiarelli said in an e-mail to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun. "I have not talked to anyone and I don't plan to."

Rumours began to pick up around Thomas' future with the Bruins when he elected to skip the team's visit to the White House honouring their Stanley Cup win. Many speculated that the Bruins would be happy to turn to Thomas' backup Tuuka Rask, who leads the NHL with .938 save percentage and has a 1.82 goals against average in 18 games this season.

One rumour that surfaced during the All-Star break had Thomas being sent to Chicago in exchange for forward Viktor Stalberg

If that's all the Bruins could get is Stalberg I wouldn't trade him either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

There's a reason that the nickname for the Sports desk is the "Toy Department." Most sports reporters are in waaaaaaay over their head when they have to report on matters of consequence, like when sports and politics collide. KPD and Jack Todd are proof of that.

And thanks Felix, I knew I was missing something there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

And now it's gone..........

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/01/30/montreal-gazette-retracts-comment-accusing-thomas-of-racism/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And This, unbelievably, is edited version.

Thomas’s decision to skip a team visit to the White House because he buys the garbage pumped out by Glenn Beck and his ilk was bad enough. But then, having pulled a highly public stunt to call attention to his whacko politics, Thomas blamed the media for paying attention.

Look, if this cretin wants to stand outside the White House and spew his drivel, that’s free speech. But standing up the president? All that does is show that Thomas has the class of a swamp-rat.

At least he accomplished one thing: Thomas earned himself a lifetime membership in the MMQB’s zeros section, right next to Jeffrey Loria and David Samson. I hope Tuukka Rask starts every game the rest of the way.

How the hell does dribble like that get published in one of the largest, and previously respected, papers in the entire country? If I was the editor there, I'd fire myself.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxdriver. Show maxdriver's posts

I say trade KPD

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

I say trade KPD
    Posted by maxdriver

There must be a decent more objective sports-writer that actually cheers for his hometown team that we could trade KPD for.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

How the hell does dribble like that get published in one of the largest, and previously respected, papers in the entire country? If I was the editor there, I'd fire myself.
    Posted by red75

Meh.  Todd thinks he's funny.  Thomas actually handled his protest relatively quietly, so this sort of reaching for the stars is pandering to those of any political stripe who dislike the Bruins.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

I would look to trade him this summer when his no movement opens up. 

Given his age and the readiness of Rask, if he can be traded for pick(s) and / or player(s) that will reap benefits for many years to come then PC has to consider it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

A fan's dream but unlikely given the concessions the players would need to give: set a ceiling of $7 mil for the goalie position. Extend Rask w/ a 6-year escalating deal. Extend Thomas another 2 years beyond his current contract. Split games in regular season. Hottest goalie gets the nod in the playoffs.

It really comes down to Thomas at this point. His value will never be higher than it is right now. We hope he matches or even exceeds his playoff run from last year, but I don't think even that would convince GMs to pay a penny more or give a year more than what they would do right now. Wait until next year and the trade deadline, and teams will be willing to give him short money at $5 or $6 a season, but not be willing to give him many more years. Perhaps the total contract and length would be appealing, but only if offered right now.

Rask should make more than $2.0 mil next year, but perhaps he can be won over by total length and dollar amount of a long-term contract. He's also restricted, which helps the cause.

2011-2012: *Thomas $5.0 / *Rask $1.25 = $6.25
    2012-2013: *Thomas $5.0 / Rask $2.0 = $7.0
    2013-2014: Thomas $4.0 / Rask $3.0 = $7.0
    2014-2015: Thomas $4.0 / Rask $3.0 = $7.0
    2015-2016: Rask: $4.75 / TBA $1.25 = $6.0
    2016-2017: Rask: $4.75 / TBA $1.25 = $6.0
    2017-2018: Rask: $4.75 / TBA $1.25 = $6.0

* Denotes current deal.
    Total commitment beyond current contracts: Thomas ($8.00/2). Rask ($22.25/6)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Keep in mind that the cap hit is the average dollar values, not the actual year's contract.

A fan's dream but unlikely given the concessions the players would need to give: set a ceiling of $7 mil for the goalie position. Extend Rask w/ a 6-year escalating deal. Extend Thomas another 2 years beyond his current contract. Split games in regular season. Hottest goalie gets the nod in the playoffs. It really comes down to Thomas at this point. His value will never be higher than it is right now. We hope he matches or even exceeds his playoff run from last year, but I don't think even that would convince GMs to pay a penny more or give a year more than what they would do right now. Wait until next year and the trade deadline, and teams will be willing to give him short money at $5 or $6 a season, but not be willing to give him many more years. Perhaps the total contract and length would be appealing, but only if offered right now. Rask should make more than $2.0 mil next year, but perhaps he can be won over by total length and dollar amount of a long-term contract. He's also restricted, which helps the cause. 2011-2012: *Thomas $5.0 / *Rask $1.25 = $6.25 2012-2013: *Thomas $5.0 / Rask $2.0 = $7.0 2013-2014: Thomas $4.0 / Rask $3.0 = $7.0 2014-2015: Thomas $4.0 / Rask $3.0 = $7.0 2015-2016: Rask: $4.75 / TBA $1.25 = $6.0 2016-2017: Rask: $4.75 / TBA $1.25 = $6.0 2017-2018: Rask: $4.75 / TBA $1.25 = $6.0 * Denotes current deal. Total commitment beyond current contracts: Thomas ($8.00/2). Rask ($22.25/6)
    Posted by asmaha

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Keep in mind that the cap hit is the average dollar values, not the actual year's contract. In Response to Re: Thomas Trade??? :
    Posted by OatesCam

True that. I was trying to suggest under $7mil real dollars and $8mil cap hit, but I already typed waaaaaaay too much and got lazy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

lol.  I think the Bruins could work in what you are suggesting, but I question whether they are going to want to keep Tim beyond this season.  Another Con Smythe, however, could make a trade easy to do but hard to accept.

In Response to Re: Thomas Trade??? : True that. I was trying to suggest under $7mil real dollars and $8mil cap hit, but I already typed waaaaaaay too much and got lazy.
    Posted by asmaha

Sections
Shortcuts