Thomas vs. Luongo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Thomas vs. Luongo

In Response to Re: Thomas vs. Luongo:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas vs. Luongo : Worst olympic memory ever. Seeing Cindy score in overtime. I was crushed, especially after seeing Parise tie it up. I thought the U.S.was going to win. And that fruitcake did that to me.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]
    Obviously my memory of the game is a happy one.That said,we can all look back years from now and say we saw one of the best hockey games ever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas vs. Luongo : Yeah, I agree. To make matters worse, I do not recall the NHL maintaining their "crackdown" on the size of goalie pads so it is likely they are the same jumbo size they were a few years ago...ugh!!
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

I remember hearing it this summer that they were making the hockey equipment smaller .  Nothing happened ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

On another note (already posted on Fun thread) last night if it weren't for Thomas the Bruins might not have won the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas vs. Luongo : Goalie equipment is a total joke.  I remember seeing an interview with Ryan Miller after a game, still in gear.  His arms must have been three feet in circumference.  They have extenders that they claim protect their thighs (isn't that what the pads in the pants do?) but they really just shut the five hole for the butterfly goalies. The catching gloves could be used to catch Baffin Bay trout and the waffles could feed a small arm.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Lets put YOU in front of 100 mph shots from pro's and see is you still think its a joke. I highly doubt it.

To answer your question, no, the pads in the pants do not protect a goalie when he drops. I had a 1/4 of my kneecap blown off when I dropped on a routine shot. Hasek had an injury the same way after they banned the flap attached to the top of the pad. I used the louisville icecap pads with the flap afterwards and never had a problem.

The real clowns are people like you who mindlessly rant with nothing to back it up.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas vs. Luongo : Lets put YOU in front of 100 mph shots from pro's and see is you still think its a joke. I highly doubt it. To answer your question, no, the pads in the pants do not protect a goalie when he drops. I had a 1/4 of my kneecap blown off when I dropped on a routine shot. Hasek had an injury the same way after they banned the flap attached to the top of the pad. I used the louisville icecap pads with the flap afterwards and never had a problem. The real clowns are people like you who mindlessly rant with nothing to back it up.   
    Posted by MDsizzle[/QUOTE]

When the goalie is on his knees, his thighs are not protected by the pad extenders.

(http://www.mlive.com/olympics/index.ssf/2010/02/crosbys_golden_goal_caps_canad.html)

Pay attention.

Feel free to do a little bit of research before you come with your guns blazing.  Start here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=394104

"The changes in the side pads and the knee extender most directly affect a goalie's ability to stop five-hole shots."

"Lemaire was informed goalies say they feel they need better protective equipment because modern synthetic sticks deliver harder shots. Not everyone buys that perspective, though, since Al MacInnis and Al Iafrate clocked some of the all-time fastest shots with wooden sticks.

"It's not for protection," Lemaire said. "It's to stop the puck. If it's for protection, they can get a lot smaller. Ever hear of Kevlar? Stops bullets. Let's go to the police station and get them vests. They'll all be OK."

Is there anything else I can do for you today, Dizzle?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Re: Thomas vs. Luongogotten the high score on guitar hero?

Hey, not-a-clue, congrats, you can sit at your desk and post links to articles.

My "research" was actually playing. Are you going to tell me my experience was not valid because I did not write a blog on it?

We are all proud of you and your copy and paste abilities, but you have to be a complete tool to tell someone to do "research" when they have experience it in "actual reality", that is life when you are not on your computer, maybe you will find info on wikipedia on it.

Are you also telling guitarist how to play since you have the high score on guitar hero?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE] The real clowns are people like you who mindlessly rant with nothing to back it up.   

I'm not exactly sure what else you'd like from me.  I stated my opinion.  I was told i was a clown for not backing it up.  I backed it up.  What else would you like?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

"Kevlar stops bullets, it can stop pucks"  

The human body naked can stop pucks, it what happen to the body when it does. Kevlar is designed to stop bullets, much smaller than pucks. It was designed to not have anything go through it, but offers ZERO as far as cushoning. It is also designed to save lifes by not having the bullet enter the body. I dont think we will to worry about about a puck going straight through a goalie. It is just cloth that does not tear. This is just a hockey guy who does not know about law enforcement materials.

So you would be ok with putting a layer of kevlar on you and letting Chara take slap shots at you?   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]"Kevlar stops bullets, it can stop pucks"   The human body naked can stop pucks, it what happen to the body when it does. Kevlar is designed to stop bullets, much smaller than pucks. It was designed to not have anything go through it, but offers ZERO as far as cushoning. It is also designed to save lifes by not having the bullet enter the body. I dont think we will to worry about about a puck going straight through a goalie. It is just cloth that does not tear. This is just a hockey guy who does not know about law enforcement materials. So you would be ok with putting a layer of kevlar on you and letting Chara take slap shots at you?   

Al MacInnis took a lot of shots.  No one died.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not exactly sure what else you'd like from me.  I stated my opinion.  I was told i was a clown for not backing it up.  I backed it up.  What else would you like?

I guess I just take it personal when I see someone saying things like "second to skating clown" and calling it a joke when they don't really have the first clue in actuallity. You can find all the articles you want to justify yourself, but until you are man enought to do it, you shouldn't tell other who have done it, to do "research" on it! I have had broken bones, concussions, ligament damage and countless numbers of nasty bumps and bruises and had 2 surgerys because I absolutely love the sport and position. I know first hand how much protection these guys need and I have not ever had to face 100 mph shots.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas vs. Luongo : Al MacInnis took a lot of shots.  No one died.

Correct!

Like I said, the human body naked can stop pucks! Its what happens to it when you do.

Why don't you ask Al MacInnis if it has ever hurt/injured him, and if he's be willing to do that 30-40 times a night.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Dizzle, I'm not exactly sure what your issue is.  Are you defending the honor of goaltenders worldwide?  No, I never played goalie.  That doesn't change the fact that this: 

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/x9xXUINl9jc/Vancouver+Canucks+v+Florida+Panthers/Xipc1CyTGml/Roberto+Luongo

is a joke compared to this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43312810@N04/4198075030/

I've done my research.  Does your time spent between the pipes make Luongo's pads any less ridiculous? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas vs. Luongo : . To answer your question, no, the pads in the pants do not protect a goalie when he drops. I had a 1/4 of my kneecap blown off when I dropped on a routine shot. Hasek had an injury the same way after they banned the flap attached to the top of the pad. I used the louisville icecap pads with the flap afterwards and never had a problem. The real clowns are people like you who mindlessly rant with nothing to back it up.   

I was a goaltender and had the same thing happen to me my Junior year of high school.  Had my kneecap broken/dislocated on a routine shot.  Switched to the Louisville TPS pads with the flap  on the top the next season and never had a problem after that.

And goalies pads need to be  "bigger" to counteract the shooters sticks getting more advanced allowing them to shoot harder.  Goalies may look well protected but I speak from experience when I say there are  lots of soft spots that are really painful.  And I only played as high as a a D3 college level.  I cant imagine how painful it would be getting hit by a Chara slap shot with a frozen puck in one of those soft spots.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

http://www.nightmareonhelmstreet.com/2010-articles/june/2011-goaltending-equipment-changes.html

This is a throwaway blog, but it's exactly what I've been talking about here...along with pictures. 

The goaltending equipment is a total joke. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas vs. Luongo : Obviously my memory of the game is a happy one.That said,we can all look back years from now and say we saw one of the best hockey games ever.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely, while I would love a different outcome I will not complain about the game. It was one of the best hockey games I have ever seen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Let me settle this for you guys.
    While MDizzle does have a point on the protection that covers the knees, Shot has a point on what's between the legs.  That so called extra protection between the legs is to help close the gap and isn't protecting anything.. 
    The equipment they use today is oversized.  Let me explain. If a chest protector covers the whole frontal area of the goalie it should stop there but it doesn't.  They wear it oversized and therefore overlaps in areas to make them bigger than they are. 
    This I heard with my own two ears in a conversation with a prominent goalie in the NHL.  He's not saying he wears bigger equipment but knows of goalies in the league that do.
    The equipment does not have to be oversized to protect a goalie from being hurt in todays NHL.  As long as it covers his body.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

history will record that timmy thomas won the showdown with longo this weekend and the hall of fame will show timmy was the better goaler to when its all said and done