Thomas vs Rask

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

Thomas vs Rask

The whole team decides to take the night against one of the premier teams in the league, but this team seems to play much differently with Thomas vs Rask. Rask is a talented goalie, but I think the team doesn't play with the same swagger when he's in net. The Bruins came out incredibly flat tonite, and got down early...much of the credit goes to the wings of coarse , but Rask looked like he got ratttled early. Those 2 quick goals put them on their heels early Let's hope he can get his mojo back, because he was integral to to this team last year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Re: Thomas vs Rask

They almost always come out flat.  The difference is Thomas always makes a few huge saves early and gives the team a chance to get on track.  Rask lets in early soft goals and gets them behind in almost every start, it kills momentum, and this team doesn't play well from behind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Get a 3rd goalie...I've said this now for about 2 months...get a 3rd goalie and healthy scratch Rask.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anddebbv. Show anddebbv's posts

chris mason would make a better goalie than rask, rask doesnt want to play for boston , he had his thrill in the playoff last year time to get rid of him
    send rask an a few players to get mason an nash from columbus

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

That 5th goal tonight, trying to play the puck behind the net, was just sick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

Reverse "Rask" and "Thomas" and then "This season" and "Last Season" and this would be identical to many threads we saw last year...

Yes, Rask needs to play better - and he will - but the Bruins are still much better off than most (if not all) teams in the league when it comes to a 1-2 goalie punch.

Anyone know the names of the back-up goalies in Vancouver, Calgary, New York (Rangers), etc.?

I'm sure some do - it's a rhetorical question but the point is most teams would LOVE to have a backup like Rask available.  It's not the end of the world.  The Bruins are better off than most teams in the event their #1 goes down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

In Response to Re: Thomas vs Rask:
    Reverse "Rask" and "Thomas" and then "This season" and "Last Season" and this would be identical to many threads we saw last year... Yes, Rask needs to play better - and he will - but the Bruins are still much better off than most (if not all) teams in the league when it comes to a 1-2 goalie punch. Anyone know the names of the back-up goalies in Vancouver, Calgary, New York (Rangers), etc.? I'm sure some do - it's a rhetorical question but the point is most teams would LOVE to have a backup like Rask available.  It's not the end of the world.  The Bruins are better off than most teams in the event their #1 goes down.
    Posted by BuzzardBoots

Vancouver has Corey Schneider.  He is pretty sick from what I've seen of him.  Not sure about Calgary or New York though.

I'm still baffled by Rask this year.  Last year he looked so promising.  This year he's looking like a Raycroft reincarnate.  Let's hope he gets back to last year's form.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Tuuka is fine, its the team as a whole that can't win a big game thats the problem.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

Tuuka is fine, its the team as a whole that can't win a big game thats the problem.
    Posted by kelvana33

Wednesday against the Habs was a big game.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

Rask will be our #1 goalie in a couple years once TT passes his prime (when he's what ... 47 years old?).   In the meantime, if it was decided to trade Rask, you would have to expect that the return would need to be a level A+ goaltending prospect, a first round pick, and perhaps a quality #4 Dman.   

I wouldn't be totally opposed to making a trade like that and signing a good goalie free agent in the offseason to back up Thomas.    The return for Rask however would really need to be significant. 

There is no way in hell I'd consider trading Thomas the way the two are playing.   Thomas is our key to the cup should all the other stars align.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Not Rask's fault. He should get starts for sure, just not this weekend.

Tim Thomas practically owns every goalie stat this year, except one.

Tim Thomas and Jimmy Howard were tied for the League lead in wins going into last night's game - both had 26.

Now Howard has 27.

The Coach's choice should have been easy.

I'm betting Bertuzzi et al were just a little pleasantly surprized not to see Thomas in net.

C'mon Claude, let them run, just open and close the bench door.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Not Rask's fault. He should get starts for sure, just not this weekend. Tim Thomas practically owns every goalie stat this year, except one. Tim Thomas and Jimmy Howard were tied for the League lead in wins going into last night's game - both had 26. Now Howard has 27. The Coach's choice should have been easy. I'm betting Bertuzzi et al were just a little pleasantly surprized not to see Thomas in net. C'mon Claude, let them run, just open and close the bench door.
    Posted by Awry

I've got to agree with you on this entire post.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Get a 3rd goalie...I've said this now for about 2 months...get a 3rd goalie and healthy scratch Rask.
    Posted by dannycater

rask is better than any other backup in this league.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Thomas vs Rask : rask is better than any other backup in this league.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

He's better than most starters.People tend to forget that in this whole Rask vs. TT debate,he's being judged against the world's best goalie(right now).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Yes, presently, the world's best goalie with a better save percentage than even Dominik Hasek when he was at his absolute world beating best.

Thomas is headed for the Record books

Thomas would've beaten Howard last night, because he is on a mission, because he wants to be the best.

By not giving Thomas the start, Julien was getting in the way - it's a bit of a sin for a coach - I'm sure he knows it.

None of this is a slight on Rask.

If Rask were coach, he'd of started Thomas

The game is hard, Claude, but it needn't be that hard

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Yes, presently, the world's best goalie with a better save percentage than even Dominik Hasek when he was at his absolute world beating best. Thomas is headed for the Record books Thomas would've beaten Howard last night, because he is on a mission, because he wants to be the best. By not giving Thomas the start, Julien was getting in the way - it's a bit of a sin for a coach - I'm sure he knows it. None of this is a slight on Rask. If Rask were coach, he'd of started Thomas The game is hard, Claude, but it needn't be that hard
    Posted by Awry

That's why I suggested during the Habs game that they put Rask in for the 3rd(to give him a little taste of playing time)and then come back with TT for the Det series.I just assumed TT would get the call against the Wings.I gotta say,CJ made a few questionable lineup choices last night that,obviosly,bit him on behind.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Reverse "Rask" and "Thomas" and then "This season" and "Last Season" and this would be identical to many threads we saw last year... Yes, Rask needs to play better - and he will - but the Bruins are still much better off than most (if not all) teams in the league when it comes to a 1-2 goalie punch. Posted by BuzzardBoots

It is a complete reversal Law of averages ? Can't stay sharp if you don't play but it won't change because of Thomas will now get about 90% of the starts and he will be worn out by Julien.

I do think that Rask will get in some real good starts before the playoffs begin which will be needed because Thomas will tire a bit. Not playing Rask more is going to work against the Bruins.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

No, Thomas will not get worn out.

Something about having the season of your life
    does wonders to energize and fortify a guy.

It never wore out Hasek or Brodeur

Yes, Rask will get starts

If Julien absolutely had to give Rask a start against the Red Wings this weekend, it shoulda been the other way around.
    Rask should've started the Sunday game.

This way Thomas would've gotten ahead of Howard in wins, and Detroit would be compelled to start Howard twice. Rask would have had less pressure to perform and Howard more.

I know Thomas' individual stats are not Julien's concern - but in this case - a special goalie having a special season - they oughta be.

Thomas shoulda been head-to-head with Howard last night.

Claude's not alone. A lotta coaches don't know how to handle goalies

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Rask was certainly shaky last night but he will turn it around. It is numbing how many Bs fans are throwing this guy under the bus this season.

But the Redwings absolutely toyed with the Bruins. Datsuk & company made the Bs slow defence look like turnstiles. No transition & no answer for a very good team.

The Bruins are clearly not at that level at this time. CJ's insistence on a guy like Thornton over Seguin against a team like Detroit boggles my mine.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TiPit. Show TiPit's posts

Rask is fine; not a good year so, play him as such. 

From reading the posts lately, only one person seems to ignore that Rask is not as sharp as we wish he would be.  Explain to me why the coach play him AT HOME (for added pressure) against the BEST team in the league.  It's beyond me.  Islanders and Ottawa are coming, get him to play those games...

As for Rask, he is the future and the B's MUST keep him; if he needs to play with Providence, so be it, but KEEP him.  Thomas is in a super shape but he is older; in a few years, he may slow down or get injured and then what... Anybody knows a good goalie prospect in the B organization right now??  This is why you keep Rask. He has talent; agreed that this year, he may not be mature and ready (probably thought that the number 1 job was his, no worry)

Something else, my opinion is that PC must go after a big player (never mind older Philipps, lazy Spezza, rented Kaberle...) go for the likes of Nash, Weber, Lecavalier.  A player who can turn a team around. In doing so get ready to offer good players and Thomas may be the guy (don't forget older expensive player)

Last point, it has been many times that I recommended a new goalie coach.   I did not see Essensa make any miracle with any goalie.

Finally (now it is true) I am sick and tired to be eliminated in the big final for the cup by former Bruins - Parent, Dryden, Ranford and in other playoff series - Dan Bouchard.  

Keep Rask, & play him smart until he gets his head back in shape.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Of course, keep Rask.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I'm sick of this debate! Rask needs to play more. TT needs to rest to go for a long run!

Sections
Shortcuts