Thornton & Marleau stripped of letters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Thornton & Marleau stripped of letters

Interesting.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459880" rel="nofollow">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459880

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Thornton & Marleau stripped of letters

Its happened on other teams before but this sort of smells like a public slap in the face to Jumbo." You won't accept a trade eh?"",we'll show you, we'll publicly humiliate you and maybe you'll see it our way and accept that trade to the Leafs we proposed". They stripped Marleau of his "A" a well, so the floppsy twins can wallow in their sorrow together, as much as millionaires can anyway. 

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

Joe never was a leader, despite his talent. Maybe he would have become a better performer in the post-season without that added pressure, who knows? Still a good player, but sometimes a guy is just... soft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I like Marleau's attitude about it....come to camp and earn a letter. Much respect for the guy!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

I like Marleau's attitude about it....come to camp and earn a letter. Much respect for the guy!!

You can almost guarantee he won't get a letter,the ship has sailed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

Both players signed contracts for less than they would have made on the open market. To now ask them to waive their no-trade clauses, before the first year of the new deals have even started, is unfair.

Some GM's treat contract negotiations like they're at an all-you-can-eat buffet, and wake up the next day, feeling a little sick, and wishing they hadn't made that last trip up to the bar.

It's no wonder that "home town discounts" are as rare as real evidence of Bigfoot. Why would any player believe anything that is said in negotiations?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to BigBadnBruin's comment:

Both players signed contracts for less than they would have made on the open market. To now ask them to waive their no-trade clauses, before the first year of the new deals have even started, is unfair.

I appreciate that from the players' perspective.  I do.  But I also look at it from a fan's perspective or the team's, and from that side it's not so clearly unfair.  Who's stealing from whom if they think the players are performing below expectations?  Thornton had 11 goals last year.  That's ridiculous for a guy making close to $7M.  It's the worst total for a regular season since his abysmal rookie year.  And he was the C of a team that took the pipe in the playoffs.  Again.  As always with Jumbodonna.  From the team perspective, I would feel like I showed faith in a guy who has a lot of talent but has gotten a bad rap - maybe for a reason, but still worse than he probably deserves - and paid him to be the leader.  Less than he'd have received on the open market?  Maybe.  A lot less?  Probably not.  And the results were soul-crushing with a team led by him/them in every way blowing a 3-0 lead.  Unlike the Bruins, when they blew that 3-0 lead, the Sharts weren't hamstrung by injuries or still coming together as a team.  Harder to stay the course in that scenario.

I'll never forget Thornton's whole "I guess I'm the problem" speech as he left Boston.  "I'm not the problem = I'm not responsible".  Betcha Bergeron and Chara feel responsible for every playoff loss the Bruins suffer.

Argentina shouldn't cry for a guy making that kind of dough, guaranteed, with his record of failures.

[object HTMLDivElement]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

As for the Sharts (and really, who wants to be Shart Captain?), it's going to be awwwwkwwwward when they pin the C on someone else and JT is still in the room.  Ditto Marleau, who lost his C to JT.  Ouch.  Aren't they pretty much stuck with someone whose work ethic and high competitive drive makes them the right choice?  Anyone on that roster you think would fit that bill?

Are you not entertained?!?!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to socca10's comment:

Joe never was a leader, despite his talent. Maybe he would have become a better performer in the post-season without that added pressure, who knows? Still a good player, but sometimes a guy is just... soft.

sometimes.

sometimes?

sometimes??

sometimes?!?!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't think the Sharks advance any further in past playoffs if Joe Pavelski was the captain.

Wilson has been on record that he wants to change the identity/culture of the team, and I would think he approached the two about waiving their no trade clauses and both refused. Looks like a little payback.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Thornton seems so laid back he probably just shrugged his shoulders and said "whatever". Wonder if his entire three year deal has a no trade? If so, he might as well just sit back and float......oh, wait

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I defended Thornton even up to his departure.  I have complete trust he is a fun loving hockey player living in Northern California.  His life is a dream come true.  Self absorbed?  I tend to think he is running his stay in San Jose for the betterment of himself.  The only problem, the mark of a champion is the Stanley Cup.  Stan Mikita played and never won a Cup, I do not know him but I am sure he would say his professional life was not complete without winning that Cup.  Marleau, he would be a good Bs player.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think it's bush league what they did to them. If you want them traded, then you shouldn't have agreed to a no trade clause, can't hold it against the player for exercising a right both parties agreed to.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

On the other hand if I say I want the Cup then play passive then I deserve what I get.  No?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I think it's bush league what they did to them. If you want them traded, then you shouldn't have agreed to a no trade clause, can't hold it against the player for exercising a right both parties agreed to.

Many people feel the same way, Kel.  I (no surprise) see it differently.

They agreed to the no trade clause.  They cannot trade them without permission.  That has been held up by both sides.  If they want to move the player but can't, trying to get him to agree isn't uncommon.  The team has to do what's right for the team.  They can't compromise the franchise (for any length of time) to avoid hurting someone's feelings.  

Ever since Sundin did what he did, I've been totally on management's side when it comes to no trade clauses and players waiving them.  Screw you, Joe.  We don't want you here.  Go elsewhere.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

They agreed to the no trade clause.  They cannot trade them without permission.  That has been held up by both sides.  If they want to move the player but can't, trying to get him to agree isn't uncommon.  The team has to do what's right for the team.  They can't compromise the franchise (for any length of time) to avoid hurting someone's feelings. 

Ever since Sundin did what he did, I've been totally on management's side when it comes to no trade clauses and players waiving them.  Screw you, Joe.  We don't want you here.  Go elsewhere.

I understand, and I'd think differently if it was a new General Manager trying to trade him and not the one who agreed to the clause. I'm also sure there is stuff going on us fans aren't privy too, like perhaps they've asked them to provide lists, or told them of some teams interested and which ones they would prefer etc..I think the Sundin situation was a little different where he almost held them hostage, who knows if this gets to that level but theyre off to an interesting start here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Wow, I edited the quote box and it somehow got bigger.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I agree, Jumbo has a no trade and thats his right to exercise it but the Sharts also have a right to strip his Captaincy if they feel that is what the team needs,which is new and fresh leadership. With Thornton as their leader , the Sharts have done absolutely nothing,nada,zilch. Management is tired of it and promised big changes to their fanbase, which included trading one or both of Jumbo & Noshow Marleau,they both declined to lift their no trade and now they can try to pull the cart along with their new Captain. Sundin in my books is the poster-boy for two-faced,selfish players,what a nimrod.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I'll go with Logan Couture for the "C" and Burns with the "A" if he doesn't already have one. Pavelski wouldn't be a bad choose but Couture is mine and probably Wilson's.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

I agree, Jumbo has a no trade and thats his right to exercise it but the Sharts also have a right to strip his Captaincy if they feel that is what the team needs,which is new and fresh leadership. With Thornton as their leader , the Sharts have done absolutely nothing,nada,zilch. Management is tired of it and promised big changes to their fanbase, which included trading one or both of Jumbo & Noshow Marleau,they both declined to lift their no trade and now they can try to pull the cart along with their new Captain. Sundin in my books is the poster-boy for two-faced,selfish players,what a nimrod.

I think Marleau has been one of the more consistent players of his time. Regular season and playoffs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I think Marleau has been one of the more consistent players of his time. Regular season and playoffs.

Hey,but he's a -11 over the course of 147 playoff games !  ;-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Chowda-. Show -Chowda-'s posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I'll go with Logan Couture for the "C" and Burns with the "A" if he doesn't already have one. Pavelski wouldn't be a bad choose but Couture is mine and probably Wilson's.

I agree with Couture or Pavelski. But I'd also add Vlasic into the mix of candidates.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Wanted PC to snag Vlasic before he traded for Seidenberg. Solid blueliner.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Hey,but he's a -11 over the course of 147 playoff games !  ;-)

So they're up 3-0 and playing great. Let's slam the door on the Kings.

Game 4 - Marleau 2 assists, super! On the ice for 3 Kings goals in a losing effort...not so super.

Game 5 - No points - ghost

Game 6- no points - ghost

Game 7...gotta have it. - 0 points, on ice for 3 Kings goals - Casper the friendly ghost.

That is the very definition of a No show

I think they are both very good players who wilt when the lights get hot. Strip them of their letters? No disagreement here. They more than earned that ignominy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

Anyone bashing the players, should put themselves in the position of Thornton or Marleau.

Your GM, who should know the type of player you are, by now, offers you a 3 year extension at about 1M less than you would get as a UFA. For doing that, he includes a No Trade clause.

Before your new contract even kicks in, your GM has changed his mind, and now wants you gone, but you and your family like this city, you're probably planning on retiring there, and you're really happy you have that no-trade clause, even though it cost you 3M dollars.

And anyone that says 3M isn't a big deal, because of how much money they have made, only say that because it's not THEIR money.

Wilson knew exactly what he was getting when he re-signed both these players. If he wanted to go a different way, he could have traded their rights, or let them walk. Instead, he bargained for another 3 years, and it looks like he is going to get exactly what he originally wanted.

Maybe if they want to go in a different direction, ownership should look at the GM position.

Sections
Shortcuts