Thornton Gone For 15

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Thornton Gone For 15

In response to BMav's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

The suspension is excessive. There were 4 mitigating circumstances that should have lowered the suspension. First, Thornton has never been suspended before I don't believe. This was in response to his teams player being injured unfairly. The punches actually didn't seem that violent at the time. And he apologised and admitted his mistake. Yet he still gets 15 games. What the suspension really says is that it doesn't pay to have powerful punches. Instead you should head hunt star players with dirty checks in game action. That is where you can do the best long term damage to your opponent and get revenge. Target stars. Other teams seem to understand this against the Bruins. Maybe time to start playing by their rules.

1.  That's he's never been suspended before doesn't make it lesser of an infraction.

2.  That you don't think they were violent punches doesn't un-knock-out Orpik.

3.  That he apologized doesn't make it lesser of an infraction.

4.  That it was in response to his teammate being injured doesn't make it less of an infraction.

You would make a crappy judge. If these things shoudn't lesson the penalty, what would?

You would make a crappy lawyer if thats your defense.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

1. I agree with you 100%- Orpik is now in Patrick Kaleta's category in my eyes!

What in the world? 

How does this:

2Ph6oW

Equal this:

GQHZ7x

Or this:

9LBoK6

Or this headbutt and dive?!?

8f07dB

He's a guy that plays on the edge, has crossed the line before in his almost crippling of another player, been suspended for bad hits & RARELY backs up his actions! He's a coward! 

Kronwall is a similar player.  He doesnt fight.  You can hit without being expected to fight.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

The suspension is excessive. There were 4 mitigating circumstances that should have lowered the suspension. First, Thornton has never been suspended before I don't believe. This was in response to his teams player being injured unfairly. The punches actually didn't seem that violent at the time. And he apologised and admitted his mistake. Yet he still gets 15 games. What the suspension really says is that it doesn't pay to have powerful punches. Instead you should head hunt star players with dirty checks in game action. That is where you can do the best long term damage to your opponent and get revenge. Target stars. Other teams seem to understand this against the Bruins. Maybe time to start playing by their rules.

1.  That's he's never been suspended before doesn't make it lesser of an infraction.

2.  That you don't think they were violent punches doesn't un-knock-out Orpik.

3.  That he apologized doesn't make it lesser of an infraction.

4.  That it was in response to his teammate being injured doesn't make it less of an infraction.

You would make a crappy judge. If these things shoudn't lesson the penalty, what would?

You would make a crappy lawyer if thats your defense.  

What would be your defense then?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

What in the world? 

How does this:

2Ph6oW

Equal this:

GQHZ7x

Or this:

9LBoK6

8f07dB

He's a guy that plays on the edge, has crossed the line before in his almost crippling of another player, been suspended for bad hits & RARELY backs up his actions! He's a coward! 

Kronwall is a similar player.  He doesnt fight.  You can hit without being expected to fight.  

Kronwall hits clean. If you read my previous post you would see that I don't think every hit you need to fight. Orpik is a Scud missile! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Nothing!

"Oops, sorry!"

"Yeah, but that guy over there injured one of my guys!"

"Hey, I know Orpik is out, but, you know, I've never done anything like this before"

"Look, I know he's out like a light, but I didn't really even hit him that hard.  The dude has a soft melon!"

15 games.  See ya.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Nobody seems to care that Orpik took Loui out with a cheap hit that's against the rules.  The ST hate is deep here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Nothing!

Not much to discuss then.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Many good thoughts here -- Bottom line -- Shanny has the final word and that's it. ST will accept the punishment just as he did post game -- like a man. Thornton haters can celebrate and perhaps watch opposing 4th liners draw our more skilled willing combatants off the ice risking further injury. Can't say if the team itself is better with or without ST as they continue to win -- as they did with. The silver lining here is that we get to take a really good look at the youngsters and watch them gain valuable experience. Lastly -- for whatever it's worth -- is there another team in the league that has come as close to the Bruins in man-games lost to injuries that were questionable in nature? These guys spend a lot of time together and certain bonds are pretty strong. Frustration can bring out the worst in everyone when you see teamates dropping like flies (via legal or non-legal hits). 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Neely weighs in:

“Higher than I expected and higher than I think is warranted,” Neely told the Boston Herald when asked about a 15-game suspension for Thornton. “It was ugly the way it played out. But, if  Marchand gets hurt, is it 15 games for a knee to the head? We’ve had our fair share of players hurt badly by concussions. I don’t think anyone’s gotten a 15-game suspension out of those. Thornton is a guy who plays the role he plays and has never had any suspensions or issues. It comes down a little harsh for me.”

http://nesn.com/2013/12/cam-neely-believes-shawn-thorntons-15-game-suspension-is-higher-than-warranted/

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Neely weighs in:

“Higher than I expected and higher than I think is warranted,” Neely told the Boston Herald when asked about a 15-game suspension for Thornton. “It was ugly the way it played out. But, if  Marchand gets hurt, is it 15 games for a knee to the head? We’ve had our fair share of players hurt badly by concussions. I don’t think anyone’s gotten a 15-game suspension out of those. Thornton is a guy who plays the role he plays and has never had any suspensions or issues. It comes down a little harsh for me.”

http://nesn.com/2013/12/cam-neely-believes-shawn-thorntons-15-game-suspension-is-higher-than-warranted/

shupe and NAS will say Neely doesn't know what he's talking about!

In response to jaymiller's comment:

FELLA'S,
    I think this article nails it !!!

NHL covers its legal backside in weighing Shawn Thornton suspension

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/covers+legal+backside+weighing+Shawn/9284872/story.html

It's Bobby time ~ BOBBY ROBINS time nonetheless, take your pick who comes out.

Nice find jay -- The only thing this genius forgot was -- "As long as we can keep biting in the game -- the NHL can continue in a positive direction."

I dont have an issue with orpik.  I still love the physical aspect of the game.  I think that hit is fine.  If loui is right handed or playing his proper wing he sees it coming

ST getting 15 is about right.   I will say this again, if ST was gonna go after someone it should have been Neal.  Neals play is worse then ST imo.  

Or, if he actually had the puck, or just had it.  Neither was the case..

• You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Nobody seems to care that Orpik took Loui out with a cheap hit that's against the rules.  The ST hate is deep here.

The puck was on his stick when he got hit so the hitting early defense is gone.  Orpik did everything right in that hit and did not target the head.  I dont have an issue with the hit, the refs didnt and the league didnt.  

the more threads on this i read the more we sound like whinny hab and canuck fans.  Hockey has risk, i dont have an issue with this hit.  Every hit doesnt require a review, this one didnt even get reviewed.  

Maybe I'm just naive here but appears Bylsma and Shero handled this incident better than I thought they woud -- I guess it softens the blow when the offending player gets 15. Still -- some rather interesting comments.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=696021&navid=nhl:topheads

The puck was on his stick when he got hit so the hitting early defense is gone.  Orpik did everything right in that hit and did not target the head.  I dont have an issue with the hit, the refs didnt and the league didnt.  

That is funny shupe!

That is funny shupe!

Someone repost the frame where it was on his stick.  Funny is beating this to death when the league didnt even have a glance at it.  

What in the world? 

How does this:

2Ph6oW

Equal this:

GQHZ7x

Or this:

9LBoK6

8f07dB

Kronwall hits clean. If you read my previous post you would see that I don't think every hit you need to fight. Orpik is a Scud missile! 

Orpik nor Kronwall has been suspended.  How does one hit more dirty then the next.  Kronwall has tattoed people, was penalized and likely could have been suspended.   I dont recall anyone knocking him out after any of his hits.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

That is funny shupe!

The refs and the League had no problem with the hit on Savard either so what does that say.Don't get why you Pen fans have to come on here is there no Penn forum for you to go one.there playing right now go watch them I'm sure they have tried to  take somebody elses head of bye now,go injoy.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Ridiculous.  I've seen 50 plays more dangerous than Thornton's gloved punch this year alone.

'The league has a Bruins problem'.  

That is funny shupe!

Someone repost the frame where it was on his stick.  Funny is beating this to death when the league didnt even have a glance at it.  

Yup, and the reason:  Mario Lemieux

That is funny shupe!

Yup, and the reason:  Mario Lemieux

Yes, conspiracy theory, just like gregory campbell when chara got nothing.   The hits just keep a coming.  

fletch, i have no issue with the length of this.  The only issue i have, well there are two

a.  ST is a first time offender.  Large suspension for a virgin.  

b.  Neals play was disgustingly greasy.  I think it was worse.  

Please dont do the league hates the Bruins though.  Its not your style.  You are the voice of reason.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Interesting piece from hockeyfights.com, compiling comments from players/ former players around the league.

Check out Jay Rosehill's comments in video. 

http://www.hockeyfights.com/quickhits/entry/players-have-been-defending-shawn-thornton-now-suspended-15-games

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

As far as I'm concerned he was doing his job,end of story,just a hockey play.

• Sections
    Shortcuts