Thornton Gone For 15

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Thornton Gone For 15

In response to kitchener's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hangnail's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Way too much IMO.  This could be the beginning of the end of the enforcer role.  If Chara had done it, I bet he would have gotten 5, if that.  

I hope Orpik isn't off the hook for his hit on Loui.  I hope someone lays him out next game, this time legally. 

[/QUOTE]

If Orpik hadn't been hurt there would be no suspension at all.

[/QUOTE]

I think you can say thay on most plays.  If orpik rolls gets up and fights its a different situation.    He was hurt.  So its different.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I dont have an issue with orpik.  I still love the physical aspect of the game.  I think that hit is fine.  If loui is right handed or playing his proper wing he sees it coming

ST getting 15 is about right.   I will say this again, if ST was gonna go after someone it should have been Neal.  Neals play is worse then ST imo.  

[/QUOTE]

Yep. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

If ST gets 15 games for that, then Neal should have got 10 at least for that knee.Very dangerous  assault by Neal and the fact he is a repeat offender should have weighed in more heavily.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm surprised the league chose to mention the term "retribution".  It's almost an admission that there was at least some level of logic to his reaction.  They'd have been a lot smarter to just omit that.

It's miles away from my prediction, so I think it's excessive...terribly excessive, and keeping with the leagues mandate of being inconsistent.  I don't think a first liner would have got that.  Even one with a bit of a history.

[/QUOTE]

Agree steve, hang too.  Excessive, especially for a 1st time offender.  What would it have been had ST been a repeat offender, like, i don't know, James Neal? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Agree steve, hang too.  Excessive, especially for a 1st time offender.  What would it have been had ST been a repeat offender, like, i don't know, James Neal? 

[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering what ST would've gotten if it was Crybaby that he did this action to. Crowls I'm not surprise & I thought they way they kept delaying the number it was gonna be more than 20. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Neal should have gotten 10 if thorntons was worth 15

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

To me it seems 5 games for his actions, 10 games for the stretcher.

I don't like what he did, but I'd be willing to bet Orpik being carted off the ice wasnt his intentions. He was trying to send a message and the situation got out of hand, he should have just dropped his gloves and started punching the first time. Orpik would have turtled, or have been forced to fight and Thornton would have gotten 5 minutes and and and instigator at most.

I don't think Orpik meant to hit Eriksson in the head as I feel he was going for a big hockey hit.

I don't think Thornton meant to knock out Orpik.

I think James Neal had bad intentions.

15 games I can see but I don't like that there is a 10 game difference between Thornton and Neal. Especially with Neal being a repeat offender.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

If Marchand was knocked out of the game, Neal would have gotten at least 10.  

It is what it is; we're winning and Spooner is playing.  The silver lining out of that whole PenQueens debacle.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

FELLA'S,
    I think this article nails it !!!

NHL covers its legal backside in weighing Shawn Thornton suspension

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/covers+legal+backside+weighing+Shawn/9284872/story.html

It's Bobby time ~ BOBBY ROBINS time nonetheless, take your pick who comes out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jaymiller's comment:
    [QUOTE]

FELLA'S,

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/covers+legal+backside+weighing+Shawn/9284872/story.html

[/QUOTE]

If the time means never coming up i agree.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yes great chance for Spooner and Fraser, not good for ST he'll never be able to rejoin the club upon his return, seats will be taken 

[/QUOTE]

Spooner and Fraser have been virtually invisible since being called up, especially Fraser.

[/QUOTE]

BRUINS are 3-0 with the kids in the line up .....PERIOD 

[/QUOTE]
    And the Bs havent won a game yet with ST in the lineup.

Of those 3 games stan how many did you predict they would lose lol.

ST is more valuable than one thinks, just his presence on the ice scares ppl, if someone can step in and take his job then so be it, but not gonna happen with fraser or spooner and they have been invisibile, kinda early maybe but they have.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This is something that hasn't happened before in the suspension era.  The league is telling everyone, "Hey, you had better think twice before you slew foot someone and then knock him out."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1.Orpuke is a gutless coward and i wouldn't want him to ever play in Bruin Black and Gold,

2.not only did he cheap  shot Loui

3.but he refused to drop the gloves to say he felt his play was a good one, that in itself is an admission of how cheap a shot it was. As for Neal; a multiple time offender getting away with an attempt to injure MMA knee, this just shows you how much of an idiot Shanny really is, 5 games for ramming a knee on a defenseless player versus, punching a guy who had it coming! I can't write on this site how I really feel but were I Boston's GM I would go find the guy in my system who will kick every member of the Penguins butt the next time they play and make it obvious so they all get the message.

[/QUOTE]
    1. I agree with you 100%- Orpik is now in Patrick Kaleta's category in my eyes!

2. I disagree. After my head has cooled down over this incident...I think it was at most an interference penalty. He made contact to Louie's head, but it was a North/South hit and it was Orpik's shoulder that made contact to the head not an elbow. Which the NHL has said shots to the head are going to happen when there's body checking involved. After looking at the video more times than I can count. Orpik played the play like Erikkson was going to have the puck. Erikkson didn't & now you have this incident. IF Louie gained possession & then Orpik hit on contact?...There would be no issue...I'd be labelled as a hockey play gone bad. I don't think Orpik could change his mind in the milliseconds it took to see if Erikkson was going to get the puck or not.

3. Total hogwash-- A player does not have to fight after what is deemed a hockey check! If that's the case Lucic would be fighting 6x a night! That's stupid---Body checking is ALLOWED & those that lay a clean hit are not obligated to fight everytime......BUUUUUUT! The history between these 2 teams is not a good one. Orpik IMHO has to fight in this situation! There's no if, or, and about it! Every Pen & every Bruin knows about the history. Every player needs to be prepared to back up every action! Brooks Orpik could've stopped a whole list of things that happened in this game.

Here's the chain of events that I heard this week from different people that have some connections to the NHL players & coaches.

1. Orpik hits Erikkson- Is challenged to fight by Dougie Hamilton. Orpik- refuses.

2. Shawn Thorton tries to engage Orpik- Orpik refuses again

3. Brad Marchand see's Crosby leaning forward on the bench; skates by & tries, but makes very little contact to Crosby's head with his elbow.

4. Crosby trips up Marchand & Neal knees Brad & skates to the bench. Thornton sees Marchand lying there & Neal is gone, then sees the scrum & skates down, slew foots Orpik & gives him 2 rabbit punches. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

The suspension is excessive. There were 4 mitigating circumstances that should have lowered the suspension. First, Thornton has never been suspended before I don't believe. This was in response to his teams player being injured unfairly. The punches actually didn't seem that violent at the time. And he apologised and admitted his mistake. Yet he still gets 15 games. What the suspension really says is that it doesn't pay to have powerful punches. Instead you should head hunt star players with dirty checks in game action. That is where you can do the best long term damage to your opponent and get revenge. Target stars. Other teams seem to understand this against the Bruins. Maybe time to start playing by their rules.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Do the Bruins keep the roster as is employing someone from within to be used on the fourth line in the manner Julien deploys his fourth line or do they have to acquire a tough guy-type to fill that specific role?  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

I disagree with the 15 games suspension.......and the NHL gives very little explanation on how they came up with 15 games.......see the video on NHL.com

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

The Lemon gone, Pandolfo gone and now the Turtle

Christmas came early this year....a breath a fresh air ....a chance to see our young players in action, more speed, more energy and more talent ...who would complain??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

Christmas came early this year....a breath a fresh air ....a chance to see our young players in action, more speed, more energy and more talent ...who would complain??

You post the same bull over and over and over......you are very annoying.....and a throll

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to bobruins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You post the same bull over and over and over......you are very annoying.....

[/QUOTE]

Bravo. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What in the world? 

How does this:

2Ph6oW

Equal this:

GQHZ7x

Or this:

9LBoK6

Or this headbutt and dive?!?

8f07dB

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to jaymiller's comment:
    [QUOTE]

FELLA'S,

[/QUOTE]

great article. thanks jay.

the following excerpt is interesting.

"And in a limited sort of way, without outlawing fist-fighting, the league really is trying. But the walls are closing in, and a re-definition of what the game will tolerate cannot be many years away"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The suspension is excessive. There were 4 mitigating circumstances that should have lowered the suspension. First, Thornton has never been suspended before I don't believe. This was in response to his teams player being injured unfairly. The punches actually didn't seem that violent at the time. And he apologised and admitted his mistake. Yet he still gets 15 games. What the suspension really says is that it doesn't pay to have powerful punches. Instead you should head hunt star players with dirty checks in game action. That is where you can do the best long term damage to your opponent and get revenge. Target stars. Other teams seem to understand this against the Bruins. Maybe time to start playing by their rules.

[/QUOTE]

1.  That's he's never been suspended before doesn't make it lesser of an infraction.

2.  That you don't think they were violent punches doesn't un-knock-out Orpik.

3.  That he apologized doesn't make it lesser of an infraction.

4.  That it was in response to his teammate being injured doesn't make it less of an infraction.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I feel 15 is fine.  Even at 20 I don't think I would have complained.  I agree with much of NAS's explanation.  I hope after 15 games ST apologizes one more time, accepts that he deserved it and then plays as well as he can.  If we have the luxury of playing productive kids over him, then that is tough.  I imagine there will be an opportunity.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What in the world? 

How does this:

2Ph6oW

Equal this:

GQHZ7x

Or this:

9LBoK6

Or this headbutt and dive?!?

8f07dB

[/QUOTE]

He's a guy that plays on the edge, has crossed the line before in his almost crippling of another player, been suspended for bad hits & RARELY backs up his actions! He's a coward! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1.  That's he's never been suspended before doesn't make it lesser of an infraction.

2.  That you don't think they were violent punches doesn't un-knock-out Orpik.

3.  That he apologized doesn't make it lesser of an infraction.

4.  That it was in response to his teammate being injured doesn't make it less of an infraction.

[/QUOTE]

You would make a crappy judge. If these things shoudn't lesson the penalty, what would?

Sections
Shortcuts