Thornton might be stripped of captaincy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Thornton might be stripped of captaincy

To me, from what I've read such as comments from Doug Wilson how they want to get younger, and from Thorntons agent that he does not want to leave San Jose, it seems that Thornton has made it clear that he won't accept a trade and San Jose is trying to force one.

I know most people here will say how he is not captain material, but this is pretty unprofessional by the team. \

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/31656/o-captain-no-captain-in-san-jose" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/31656/o-captain-no-captain-in-san-jose

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Thornton might be stripped of captaincy

I think Marleau was the Captain before Jumbo and got stripped,so this is nothing new for this franchise.Maybe they figure if they humiliate Joe,he will accept a trade,who knows.I do know that  Thornton likely took below market value on his extension because he wanted to stay there,so it might be hard for Wilson to get Joe to go.In the past other teams have changed Captain's and the old Captain stays with the team,although it doesn't happen very often,that i can remember.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"Obviously [the Bruins] believe in their coach and their general manager, and I'm next in line, so I've got to move on. ... I came back here to win, and we haven't been winning. Whose fault is that? I'm not sure, but I'm out of here, so it must be mine." - Joe Thornton, December 1, 2005.

"Obviously [the Sharts] believe in their coach and their general manager, and I'm next in line, so I've got to move on. ... I came back here to win, and we haven't been winning. Whose fault is that? I'm not sure, but I'm out of here, so it must be mine." - Joe Thornton, --,--, 2014.

I get that it must be tough for a player like JT to realize that, if he's honest with himself, he either hasn't done everything he could to win or he's no longer good enough to make the kind of difference people expect of him.  Really.  But that comment was the coffin nail for me with this guy when they dealt him, and he's been throwing dirt on the lid ever since with his comments about there being one set of rules for the Bruins and one for everyone else (Lucic non-suspension) etc..  That kind of passive aggressive crap from a hockey player bugs me no end, and it certainly doesn't resonate with the title of Captain.

Joe, you were the Captain of a team known for playoff chokes who spit up a hairball up 3-0 against the eventual Cup champions.  Your GM and coach have gone to bat for you despite the annual choke job for years.  Now they're concerned about chemistry and want to go another route.  In Boston, the locker room was reported to be clique-y and you could hear it in the way some guys reacted to you being dealt.  The team had to go through a culture change, and it was clear you were a key part of that problem. Your comments only made it worse.  So yeah, you negotiated an NTC and yeah, you may have taken less to stay in SJ, but for once, how about making a decision that repays some of the loyalty Doug Wilson showed you instead of thinking "me first"?

Are you not entertained?!?!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If a team wants to trade you, submit some places you'll go.  Completely blocking a deal is unprofessional and, regardless of your contractual rights, unfair to the team.  Look at what Sundin did to Toronto.  That's crap.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Hey Book, check it out.  We said the same thing.

Only I did it in seventeen less tomes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

How has Doug Wilson kept his and his coaches jobs with the formula he has had ?

See his theories on goaltending. Wilson now wants point blame at the veteran players he signed to extensions.The Sharks should have been Couture's team a year ago anyways. Wilson does draft well and ticket sales have not been down, that will save him for now.

PS. Doug is starting to look like he is going for the George Hamilton look and like ol tan boy hasn't realized his time is gone, last hit movie was ions ago.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

If a team wants to trade you, submit some places you'll go.  Completely blocking a deal is unprofessional and, regardless of your contractual rights, unfair to the team.  Look at what Sundin did to Toronto.  That's crap.

Exactly,spun the whole story about how he talked to Borje Salming and Borje told him his biggest regret was not retiring a Lerf,big load a crap of course because as soon as he could he took the bloated contract from the stunned Nucks and Ol'"Tomato face" Gillis. He could have went at the trade deadline and actually helped the team he said he loved so much,intstead of just signing somewhere for free. There were some pretty good deals at the deadline for the Lerfs as i recall and they could have got some really good pieces back,Sundin was another one that showed absolutely no loyalty to the Lerf's,two-faced to say the least.

As i recall there were about 5 players that JFJ gave NTC's too that refused to go,Kaberle,Tucker & Sundin being three of them.It just delayed the Lerfs getting started on their 40yr rebuild.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Hey Book, check it out.  We said the same thing.

Only I did it in seventeen less tomes let you do the heavy lifting and then swooped in with the SparkNotes version!

[object HTMLDivElement]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Guys...for all intent and purpose....there is no loyalty.  Assuming so is naïve.  Doing something to "help" the guys that want to dump you is never much of a priority to any player(or GM or owner).  It's an adversarial existence at best on both sides, and  clearly understood that loyalty is nothing more than the "absence of something better'.  Pretty much everything else we see and hear is adspeak.

There's a lot of legal wrangling in any negotiated deal.  Either side is perfectly in the right by insisting their contractual arrangement be followed to the letter.

What Sundin did, was business as usual.  When a team decides they don't want you anymore, why would any reasonable, sane, human being, inconvenience themself...interrupt their life and career, when their hard earned employment contract emphatically states they don't have to.

JT did get screwed over in Boston.  Not because he was traded, but because it was a lynching party.  There was zero need for all the comments.  Had the Bruins acted more professionally, I expect he would have too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

What Sundin did, was business as usual.  

Sure it was,but he could have spared everyone the "my heart is with the Leafs" & "i want to retire a Leaf" BS. He just went where the money is,which is his right,but loyal to the Leafs? Right.

Sections
Shortcuts