Thornton: Start doing your job

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Thornton: Start doing your job

There is no jam in the sandwich and it's Thornton's job to get it there.  Next time someone lays out Chara, Seguin, Krejci or even comes remotely close to contact with TT, do your job.  Don't ask for permission, just do it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Re: Thornton: Start doing your job

he challenged someone on Colorado the other day after the big hits on Seguin and Chara but the dude declined, forget fighting just start banging bodies~!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Thornton: Start doing your job:
    [QUOTE]There is no jam in the sandwich and it's Thornton's job to get it there.  Next time someone lays out Chara, Seguin, Krejci or even comes remotely close to contact with TT, do your job.  Don't ask for permission, just do it.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]
    yup 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton: Start doing your job:
    [QUOTE]he challenged someone on Colorado the other day after the big hits on Seguin and Chara but the dude declined, forget fighting just start banging bodies~!
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]
    and yup

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

let's get back to being the big bad bruins... hit 'em, and drop 'em (if necessary).... that's bruins hockey.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

He hasn't done his job yet cause all he's done is skated around in circles tapping players on the shoulders, No one has obliged. Shawn has 9Min to 11Min a game to hit someone so far he hasn't done it, Hope it changes for his sake.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'dd add this.

Lucic: Start doing your job.

How long has this been now? Not scoring or banging. Remember when he used to bang around and open up ice for his linemates and himself. I'm not looking at the 4 games, this dates back to last year and the playoffs. Not saying he has to drop the gloves, but defensemen would be racing back to get the puck and have to look over their shoulder at the same time. I know their are other players under performing so far this season but he sticks out, might be time to get him off the power play as well, terrible passes back to the point and not enough shot s form him, way too stationary.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mohawkbruin1. Show mohawkbruin1's posts

[QUOTE]I'dd add this. Lucic: Start doing your job. How long has this been now? Not scoring or banging. Remember when he used to bang around and open up ice for his linemates and himself. I'm not looking at the 4 games, this dates back to last year and the playoffs. Not saying he has to drop the gloves, but defensemen would be racing back to get the puck and have to look over their shoulder at the same time. I know their are other players under performing so far this season but he sticks out, might be time to get him off the power play as well, terrible passes back to the point and not enough shot s form him, way too stationary.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with Lucic, he looks slower and out of sorts a bit, almost like he was told dont hit or fight just go play, I hope this aint the case but Julien has done it in the past, and as for the post why the HELL is Thornton getting picked on, game 1-Flyers no Jody Shelley, 2-Tampa no Tuff Guys, 3-Colorado challenges Wilson the Big D and he declines, 4- Carolina no tuff guys, now hopefully Chicago dress John Scott and they have a go, sometimes it is the team you play not the player himself

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I have to agree with the thoughts above.  I'm not always the biggest proponent of fighting, but...this team needs a fight.

Thornton, Lucic, McQuaid, Horton, Campbell...?

If you're not going to fight, at least play physical.  Wilson turned Thornton down the other night, which is fine, but somebody could at least hit the guy (or any of the CO defensemen).  Hitting is tiring, and this team just looks to lazy to do it right now.  I thought Colorado was one of the softest teams in the league last year.  Then I watch them thoroughly outhit the Bruins and put them on their heals.

Yeah, it's early, but there's no reason to wait 20 games to start hitting.  Effort is easier to conjure up than talent...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton: Start doing your job : Totally agree with Lucic, he looks slower and out of sorts a bit, almost like he was told dont hit or fight just go play, I hope this aint the case but Julien has done it in the past, and as for the post why the HELL is Thornton getting picked on, game 1-Flyers no Jody Shelley, 2-Tampa no Tuff Guys, 3-Colorado challenges Wilson the Big D and he declines, 4- Carolina no tuff guys, now hopefully Chicago dress John Scott and they have a go, sometimes it is the team you play not the player himself
    Posted by mohawk_bruin[/QUOTE]

Makes one think..if theres no tough guy in the opposing team line up, why is he dressing? This is where I'd like to see the B's add a veteran with some scoring touch to put with Campbell/Paille. When the fourth line can add some goals here and there, it goes a long way. See: Carolina last night. Ray Whitney would look good there and see some time on the power play.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton: Start doing your job : Makes one think..if theres no tough guy in the opposing team line up, why is he dressing? This is where I'd like to see the B's add a veteran with some scoring touch to put with Campbell/Paille. When the fourth line can add some goals here and there, it goes a long way. See: Carolina last night. Ray Whitney would look good there and see some time on the power play.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Kel, I think the same thing.Thornton should be the one with 13th forward duties. He should only play due to injury or if the other team is dressing someone that'll say yes when Shawn asks him to go.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Amen Amen. Been saying the same for a long time now. He has zero skills, and floats. He cannot control the puck. As far as motivation, perhaps claude and goeff, and Doug or someone has a responsibility to motivate and prepare this team. agree on Lucic, but remember, Claude wants him to score, not hit or fight.Bergie, Marchand, Seguin, are all that are really working. Even Chara seems out of sorts and unfocused. Good thing the goalies are available.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

[QUOTE]Amen Amen. Been saying the same for a long time now. He has zero skills, and floats. He cannot control the puck. As far as motivation, perhaps claude and goeff, and Doug or someone has a responsibility to motivate and prepare this team. agree on Lucic, but remember, Claude wants him to score, not hit or fight.Bergie, Marchand, Seguin, are all that are really working. Even Chara seems out of sorts and unfocused. Good thing the goalies are available.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Thornton floats (LMAO)! Claude wants Lucic to score, not hit or fight. Even funnier than Thornton floats. We did not beat any teams on the way to SC with finesse. About 3 players on this team have anything approaching finesse. The team is going to be successful when they show up willing to kick posteriors ( apologies to the Globe censor) and drop bodies. Until then, we need to hope TT and TR can keep the goal count down.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]He hasn't done his job yet cause all he's done is skated around in circles tapping players on the shoulders, No one has obliged. Shawn has 9Min to 11Min a game to hit someone so far he hasn't done it, Hope it changes for his sake.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

This is what has always kind of bugged me about Thornton in the past. He has a habit of passing up the hit in favour of circling back to chase the puck around. I think this criticism of his game was somewhat muted in 2010-11 due to him having a career year point wise.

The reality is he gets paid to hit, stir things up, and protect his teammates. So far he has done none of these things this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton: Start doing your job:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton: Start doing your job : he reality is he gets paid to hit, stir things up, and protect his teammates. So far he has done none of these things this year.
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

He's found a comfort zone and thinks that MacDermind nor Randall could take his job eventually. He's paid to just what you posted, if he doesn't do it get someone who can.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton: Start doing your job : He's found a comfort zone and thinks that MacDermind nor Randall could take his job eventually. He's paid to just what you posted, if he doesn't do it get someone who can.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

The problem is that it is probably true that neither MacDermid nor Randall could take his job in the near future, barring injury of course. This would constitute a type of job security and be enough to instill complacency.  So yes, you are probably right, unfortunately.

I remember in the middle of last year when he scored a couple of goals in successive games then spent the next 10 games thinking he was a goal scorer...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton: Start doing your job : Totally agree with Lucic, he looks slower and out of sorts a bit, almost like he was told dont hit or fight just go play, I hope this aint the case but Julien has done it in the past, and as for the post why the HELL is Thornton getting picked on, game 1-Flyers no Jody Shelley, 2-Tampa no Tuff Guys, 3-Colorado challenges Wilson the Big D and he declines, 4- Carolina no tuff guys, now hopefully Chicago dress John Scott and they have a go, sometimes it is the team you play not the player himself
    Posted by mohawk_bruin[/QUOTE]

Who's picking on him? Through 4 games he hasn't done what they are paying him to do.  That's just stating a fact.

At least Lucic and Horton have had a few good scoring opportunities, they just haven't been able to bury them.   The goals will come, that I am sure of.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton: Start doing your job : Who's picking on him? Through 4 games he hasn't done what they are paying him to do.  That's just stating a fact. At least Lucic and Horton have had a few good scoring opportunities, they just haven't been able to bury them.   The goals will come, that I am sure of.

In every game I've seen Thornton ask someone to go. He has been unanimously declined. Not surprising, after watching the playoffs last year and seeing how this team responds to the rough stuff teams will be sure to avoid the goonery at all costs when playing the Bruins.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from flave36. Show flave36's posts

Pretty sure it was someone on chicago who chirped him on his way off the ice when he got a skate to the face so pretty sure someones gotta pay for that one

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Thornton: Start doing your job:
    [QUOTE]There is no jam in the sandwich and it's Thornton's job to get it there.  Next time someone lays out Chara, Seguin, Krejci or even comes remotely close to contact with TT, do your job.  Don't ask for permission, just do it.

Seriously - Shawn Thornton is supposed to protect the big man now? There are a lot of guys who are supposed to be putting "jam in the sandwich" Anybody outside of Marchand or Pouliot that has done it so far ? - no.  There has been zero physical presence on the ice yet this year. Thornton is just one  on a long list of Bruins. I expected this early on - and I expect it will change once they hit bottom and have to claw there way back. That's how they won the Cup, let's hope they haven't forgotten.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm not allowed to comment on Thornton any more.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not allowed to comment on Thornton any more.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I think you just bypassed an oppurtunity to say "I told you so".

I'm on the fence with this one. I appreciate the job of an NHL enforcer, I like a good fight, but lets face it, if one had to put a percentage of how many of his fights are pre-arranged or staged what would they be? Those do nothing for me. As long as fighting is in the game, i like having a guy on the team who can fight, but, if the opposing team is going to take runs at players and not have to answer for them, and then he can't score whats the use? I know he got 10 goals last year, but you know what that tells me, someone else with an ounce of offensive touch could have gotten 20. Am I willing to take that trade off for a scheduled fight with Colton Orr or Jodey Shelley, assuming they even play?? I'll take the extra 10 and if said guy gets another 10, how many more do Paille and Campbell now have?

I think fighting will always have a place in the game, i just think the fighters will get weened out. If Brendan Shanahan keeps up is good work, enforcers will become dinasours.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not allowed to comment on Thornton any more.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Stop it.  Post on whatever you want.  I was sharing some frustrations on a particular issue and a particular night, as many of us have done. 

You're ugly, too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Thornton could be in for an interesting night in Chicago.  Recall last year's game against Chicago when he took the skate to the face and was then very upset about getting chirped by the Chicago bench.  Thornton made a lot of comments about revenge being served on that at the next game.  Then Chicago enforcer John Scott (massive, clown thug) told Thornton he would "kick his a$$" if he had a problem with Chicago.  Thornton's response was "Who's John Scott?"

Could be some drama tomorrow.  Scott is a beast though.  It'd be a tough fight for Thornton.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Thornton: Start doing your job : Seriously - Shawn Thornton is supposed to protect the big man now? There are a lot of guys who are supposed to be putting "jam in the sandwich" Anybody outside of Marchand or Pouliot that has done it so far ? - no.  There has been zero physical presence on the ice yet this year. Thornton is just one  on a long list of Bruins. I expected this early on - and I expect it will change once they hit bottom and have to claw there way back. That's how they won the Cup, let's hope they haven't forgotten.
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]
    Yes, Thornton is supposed to "protect" Zee from spending 5 in the box for fighting some meat-head.

Sections
Shortcuts