Thornton to the Press Box?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Thornton to the Press Box?

Caps have no one who could matchup to Thornton, and his game isn't really needed. I can see one of those extended shifts he takes instead of dumping the puck coming back to bite the Bruins in the playoffs.

Probably better off with Paille-Campbell-Caron. Caron can be as much a physical presence as Thornton without the uneeded fighting.

Gives the Bruins a better chance against the Caps to have Thornton out, imo.

Sure last year his addition to the line up "boosted" the Bruins, but tbh I feel that was more of a coincidence than anything.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Re: Thornton to the Press Box?

I agree but it would be a tough thing to do for cload

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

We talked a bit about this last year, when everyone thought the choice was Seguin or Thornton. I'll say now what I said then - it's not about comparing those two players at all. It's all about fitting a role.

While Caron is obviously the better player over Thornton one-for-one, there is something to be said that the predictability and chemistry of that line *may* be better with Thornton. It's not like Paille or Campbell would magically make better plays to the net and set up Caron more than they do with Thornton now. The role of that line is to get it deep and wear down the other team for 90 seconds at a time, which they do fine with Thornton.

The trouble is Caron *does* bring value and upside to the 3rd line, but again I don't see the vets Rolston or Pouliot sitting. If the 3rd line struggles in shutting down the other team and creating their own scoring chances, I can see the leash being short and Caron getting a chance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I would be greatly surprized if Thornton didn't dress. He will be starting. We are going to need all players. It's a long push to the Cup final.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton to the Press Box?:
    Thorny could easily replace Jack Edwards in the press box, but who's going to protect Chippy "the Ticket" Campbell. Remember Chippy has brought immunity for 90% of the penalties that should have been called on the B's.
    Posted by null

Whos going to protect the Sedins when the other teams smallest player slaps them around time after time?

Get ready for the Sedins Great Dissapearing Act..Regualar Season Super Heroes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Thorny could easily replace Jack Edwards in the press box, but who's going to protect Chippy "the Ticket" Campbell. Remember Chippy has brought immunity for 90% of the penalties that should have been called on the B's.
    Posted by null

Do you have a real life?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton to the Press Box? : Whos going to protect the Sedins when the other teams smallest player slaps them around time after time? Get ready for the Sedins Great Dissapearing Act..Regualar Season Super Heroes.
    Posted by kelvana33

Kel - Don't even bother with him.  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I'll be suprised if 22 sits. They seem to think he's a real hockey player.

Kel - I personally choose to ignore trolls like null but I have to admit I'm enjoying your crusade against the jackwagon doofus. :P 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

the problem with Thornton is he gets caught on the ice for too long and quite often it results in a goal against or an icing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

the problem with Thornton is he gets caught on the ice for too long and quite often it results in a goal against or an icing.
    Posted by fourrings

One of my pet peeves is watching Thornton glide to the bench when he's (supposedly) changing on the fly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Despite the fact that I disagree with most of you about Thornton's relative value (I'm a fan of his), I don't think it would be a huge issue to keep him in the press box at first and roll with Caron/Campbell/Paille. ST made a great impact last season in similar circumstances (coming down from the press-box mid series). He's a veteran, and he knows how to deal with it.

If Caron struggles, they could swap him for ST, I know ST would likely be flying the next game. That would also likely light a fire under Caron the next time he got back into the line-up, showing Caron the type of intensity needed from role players in the stanley cup playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Thornton to the Press Box? : One of my pet peeves is watching Thornton glide to the bench when he's (supposedly) changing on the fly.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Would it include anyone else from the Bruins too ?

I seen Bergeron do it the last game against the Sabres. It's something I also keep my eye on with all players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from originalcallodthedom. Show originalcallodthedom's posts

Caron's game doesn't translate to the 4th line. I feel I said this about seguin last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton to the Press Box? : One of my pet peeves is watching Thornton glide to the bench when he's (supposedly) changing on the fly.
    Posted by dezaruchi

uhmm that's what annoys me the most.
    This and when they play in Washington and Hunter having the last change.  I always hate when the 4th line ices the puck and then they're stuck against a Backstrom, Ovy and Semin strike.
    They just have to be careful the way they were in the final series last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Despite the fact that I disagree with most of you about Thornton's relative value (I'm a fan of his), I don't think it would be a huge issue to keep him in the press box at first and roll with Caron/Campbell/Paille. ST made a great impact last season in similar circumstances (coming down from the press-box mid series). He's a veteran, and he knows how to deal with it. If Caron struggles, they could swap him for ST, I know ST would likely be flying the next game. That would also likely light a fire under Caron the next time he got back into the line-up, showing Caron the type of intensity needed from role players in the stanley cup playoffs.
    Posted by Olsonic

I agree with all of this.
    I could also see Thornton in the lineup the 1st game and if doesn't work out he'll be scratched the next game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Caron's game doesn't translate to the 4th line. 
    Posted by originalcallodthedom

Oh, I think you may be surprised. This isn't the same old Caron we saw breifly last season and early in this season, he has really upped his intensity level on the forecheck--he's winning a lot more battles in the dirty areas. That is a big part of what you want your energy line to do (grind down the other team, try to keep the puck in the offensive zone).  

It's also only fair to point out that Caron has blocked more shots (15) than thornton (13) despite playing almost 200 less minutes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from originalcallodthedom. Show originalcallodthedom's posts

In response to "Re: Thornton to the Press Box?":
    In Response to Re: Thornton to the Press Box? : Oh, I think you may be surprised. This isn't the same old Caron we saw breifly last season and early in this season, he has really upped his intensity level on the forecheck--he's winning a lot more battles in the dirty areas. That is a big part of what you want your energy line to do (grind down the other team, try to keep the puck in the offensive zone).   It's also only fair to point out that Caron has blocked more shots (15) than thornton (13) despite playing almost 200 less minutes. Posted by Olsonic
    What I mean is he doesn't belong there. He's a 3rd liner at worse.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

But, if Thornton is in the press box, who is going to bounce up and down on the bench, make mean faces, and yell at the other team?

That's how they won the Cup last year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton to the Press Box? : Would it include anyone else from the Bruins too ?   I seen Bergeron do it the last game against the Sabres. It's something I also keep my eye on with all players.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

I'm not saying he's the only one who does it. He's just the one I constantly notice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Caps are 26th in the league in fighting majors this year (26 total fights).

I wouldn't blame CJ for sitting him in Game 1. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

last leaf game elliott friedman said i spoke with milan and he said he cant even put into words what the signing of shawn thornton did for him.  he was able to focus on his offensive game and not worry about fighting so much.

how many of you posters have played with a guy like thornton and how many of you would have been furious with your coach if he benched him in the playoffs

I think there is a large mental part to this decision.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

last leaf game elliott friedman said i spoke with milan and he said he cant even put into words what the signing of shawn thornton did for him.  he was able to focus on his offensive game and not worry about fighting so much. how many of you posters have played with a guy like thornton and how many of you would have been furious with your coach if he benched him in the playoffs I think there is a large mental part to this decision.
    Posted by Neecic

Agreed.  I am a Thornton fan and appreciate his value.  He will get his share of playoff games this year just as he did last year.  Deservedly so.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

This opinion has always baffled me. To debate whether a team needs a goon or not is one thing, but to say we don't need him because there is no one on the other team to match him makes no sense. If you think we would be at a disadvantage not dressing him if the other team has a goon, wouldn't that hold true for the opposition? If you think Thornton has a value when the other team has a goon, you should think he has more value when they don't.

In Response to Thornton to the Press Box?:
    Caps have no one who could matchup to Thornton, and his game isn't really needed. I can see one of those extended shifts he takes instead of dumping the puck coming back to bite the Bruins in the playoffs. Probably better off with Paille-Campbell-Caron. Caron can be as much a physical presence as Thornton without the uneeded fighting. Gives the Bruins a better chance against the Caps to have Thornton out, imo. Sure last year his addition to the line up "boosted" the Bruins, but tbh I feel that was more of a coincidence than anything.
    Posted by Bisson1

Sections
Shortcuts