Thornton v Hartnell

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beorach. Show Beorach's posts

Thornton v Hartnell

Doc and Eddie were talking last night and I listened long enough to hear them saying that Thornton turned down an offer from Hartnell.  I thought I saw Hartnell skate off from the exchange of words...  Anyone clarify this, please?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Thornton v Hartnell

In Response to Thornton v Hartnell:
    [QUOTE]Doc and Eddie were talking last night and I listened long enough to hear them saying that Thornton turned down an offer from Hartnell.  I thought I saw Hartnell skate off from the exchange of words...  Anyone clarify this, please?
    Posted by Beorach[/QUOTE]
    If Thornton turned down a chance to fight Hartnell then he's definitely not doing his job.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

it looked very much to me like it was the other way around

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton v Hartnell:
    [QUOTE]it looked very much to me like it was the other way around
    Posted by thedauber1[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

no need to give the other team any chance for an emotional lift by engaging.  If Thorton did turn him down, it was a smart hockey play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]no need to give the other team any chance for an emotional lift by engaging.  If Thorton did turn him down, it was a smart hockey play.
    Posted by tremha[/QUOTE]
    Thornton/Hartnell is a tradeoff that Boston wants to take everytime they can.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBostonBruins. Show TheBostonBruins's posts

I think I heard something like this too, but I think Boston was well ahead at that point and there was no need for Boston to do something to help the Flyers. And if they had've gone, Thornton would've killed him. Shitnell should be glad Thornton declined.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Dez,
    I agree...BUT not in this case.  You give them nothing.  Nothing.  See Talbot fight Carcillo a few yrs back.  Changed the tide of the series.  Hartnell is spunky enough to lose to Thorton for the benefit of the team. 
    A lot of times coaches refuse to let their fighters fight.  Why give them one lick of anything.  Even though I like Hartnell he deserves a beat down.  Just not this year...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sclifton-4-freespeech. Show sclifton-4-freespeech's posts

[QUOTE]Dez, I agree...BUT not in this case.  You give them nothing.  Nothing.  See Talbot fight Carcillo a few yrs back.  Changed the tide of the series.  Hartnell is spunky enough to lose to Thorton for the benefit of the team.  A lot of times coaches refuse to let their fighters fight.  Why give them one lick of anything.  Even though I like Hartnell he deserves a beat down.  Just not this year...
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

defintely false, pang got it wrong also. thornton challeged him, hartnell skated away.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Then Thorton is as stupid as I thought.  Why give them a spark. Shake their hands and move on after game 4.  Get him next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Last night there was no way the Bs could have gave Philly any momentum...it was all Bruins all night!! I would have loved to see Thornton fight Hartnell!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Dez, I agree...BUT not in this case.  You give them nothing.  Nothing.  See Talbot fight Carcillo a few yrs back.  Changed the tide of the series.  Hartnell is spunky enough to lose to Thorton for the benefit of the team.  A lot of times coaches refuse to let their fighters fight.  Why give them one lick of anything.  Even though I like Hartnell he deserves a beat down.  Just not this year...
    Shupe, I just figured that's the ONLY reason he should be in the lineup.I saw Thornton try to do a stop and start last night and could swear I heard his skates clunking on the ice from my house.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton v Hartnell : Shupe, I just figured that's the ONLY reason he should be in the lineup.I saw Thornton try to do a stop and start last night and could swear I heard his skates clunking on the ice from my house.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Funny stuff. I agree that there is no use for Thorton.  I said Paille should play b/c he has a role.  Some dinglenutz said Paille doesnt kill penalties.  He has been excellent on the PK.  I thought Thorton in this series may be useful.  Nope.  But it ain't broke and I don't like playing with lines when winning.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton v Hartnell : Funny stuff. I agree that there is no use for Thorton.  I said Paille should play b/c he has a role.  Some dinglenutz said Paille doesnt kill penalties.  He has been excellent on the PK.  I thought Thorton in this series may be useful.  Nope.  But it ain't broke and I don't like playing with lines when winning.
    You are correct sir!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Just a guess that they will meet up Friday (or God forbid Sunday). Don't forget to kick off your scabbards once your little butt kissing party is over here boys.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Just a guess that they will meet up Friday (or God forbid Sunday). Don't forget to kick off your scabbards once your little butt kissing party is over here boys.
    Posted by SteveM[/QUOTE]
    What's the problem?Not enough animosity for you?You know you're always welcome to kiss my @ss.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

No shortage of that here. And, LOL, I am an a**man. This series and the last have been intense. If they get past this one the Cup is up for grabs. Which I believe is what we all want.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]No shortage of that here. And, LOL, I am an a**man. This series and the last have been intense. If they get past this one the Cup is up for grabs. Which I believe is what we all want.
    Posted by SteveM[/QUOTE]
    You're the man Steve. I couldn't agree more and I wish there was a way I could be greasier about it but I can't.You're just too right!Go Bruins!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I actually thought Thornton should turn the fight down there.  The Flyers had nothing going, the Bruins had the game in hand, so really, what's the point?  I think Hartnell has everything to gain, whether he wins, draws, or gets his butt kicked, he shows the team and media how much passion he has by fighting Thornton.  It could only help them.  Thornton had nothing to gain.

And while I agree Thornton is in over his head talent-wise and shouldn't be playing much, I thought he played a key role in the 4th line's goal last night.  He really hustled up the ice, charged at the net and drew the defensemen with him, leaving Paille totally in the clear.  Exactly what he should have done there.  Give the guy a little credit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tuckerw3. Show Tuckerw3's posts

[QUOTE]no need to give the other team any chance for an emotional lift by engaging.  If Thorton did turn him down, it was a smart hockey play.
    Posted by tremha[/QUOTE]
    What momentum would they get by Hartnell losing a fight.  Theres no chance Thornton would have lost it

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Hartnell had 6 regular season fights and 1 post-season fight. 2 fights were against Jarkko Ruutu and 2 were against Paul Gaustad. So although he'll drop the gloves its seems maybe he has guys he likes to fight for whatever reason. Picking his opponent? Bad blood maybe?

If Thornton fights is it not more likely to be against Carcillo or Shelley?

EDIT: Looks like Shelley is coming off an orbital bone fracture so not sure if he would fight if playing. Beating Carcillo up is always a good thing to do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Hartnell had 6 regular season fights and 1 post-season fight. 2 fights were against Jarkko Ruutu and 2 were against Paul Gaustad. So although he'll drop the gloves its seems maybe he has guys he likes to fight for whatever reason. Picking his opponent? Bad blood maybe? If Thornton fights is it not more likely to be against Carcillo or Shelley? EDIT: Looks like Shelley is coming off an orbital bone fracture so not sure if he would fight if playing. Beating Carcillo up is always a good thing to do.
    Posted by Kurako[/QUOTE]
    If anybody beats him? I honestly hope it's Looch giving him a "I'minacomasick" beat down!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

Sooo then...  going by some of the logic here, why did Horton fight O'Donnell and how did that work out for the Flyers?

Thornton would have been fine going with Hartnell and would have laid a serious beating on him, thus firing up the Bs AND their fans even more. Don't forget, they are playing in Boston. To thses eyes, Hartnell looked to be the one backing down, not Thornton.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

That's fine.  I'm not saying they should avoid fights at all costs and if Horton gets jumped by O'Donnell again he'll probably do the same thing.  No problem with that.  My point is that the Flyers were sleepwalking through that game and they had nothing going for them.  So veterans like O'Donnell and Hartnell take it upon themselves to try to get everyone going by fighting.  If there is ever a time to turn down a fight, it is when your opponent really wants/needs one.  I would rather have Thornton come calling on Hartnell on his own terms, not when requested by Hartnell.  Why give them anything they want, when the Bruins are running away with the game?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Dudes I was there it was Hartnell trying to get Thornton to go. Thornton was trying to get him to get the penalty. The game was over there was no need to fight, especially if Thornton managed to lose like he did to Carcillo at the WC.

Sections
Shortcuts