Thornton vs. Rupp

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Thornton vs. Rupp

MeanE,

What is Thorton gonna do against a fast Montreal team?  I will tell you.  Look out of place.  Who is he gonna fight?  No one b/c there is no fighting in the playoffs.  Thorton has done nothing the last 40 games but get fed by Rupp.  He offers nothing but taking up space on the bench.  And yes you mentioned the PK guys.  But he would get a chance to play PK and maybe rest Bergie a little more to match up against the other gys top fwds.  Might be handy in a close game.  You also runless risk of Bergie getting drilled by a shot on the PK.   Meaning he Paille has a role. 

You under estimate the speed of a game. We already out size Montreal, why not add an eliment of their own game.  Paille has much more offensive upswing to his game based purely on career stats.  You also are factoring his stats against thorton when he hasnt played a full season.    he also has good size to go with his speed.  I will take the better skater and defined role over a fighter with no role.

Lets end this but bring it back into play during the playoffs.  When Paille plays and when Thorton plays?  Deal? Lets see who does what.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton vs. Rupp:
    [QUOTE]MeanE, What is Thorton gonna do against a fast Montreal team?  I will tell you.  Look out of place.  Who is he gonna fight?  No one b/c there is no fighting in the playoffs.  Thorton has done nothing the last 40 games but get fed by Rupp.  He offers nothing but taking up space on the bench.  And yes you mentioned the PK guys.  But he would get a chance to play PK and maybe rest Bergie a little more to match up against the other gys top fwds.  Might be handy in a close game.  You also runless risk of Bergie getting drilled by a shot on the PK.   Meaning he Paille has a role.  You under estimate the speed of a game. We already out size Montreal, why not add an eliment of their own game.  Paille has much more offensive upswing to his game based purely on career stats.  You also are factoring his stats against thorton when he hasnt played a full season.    he also has good size to go with his speed.  I will take the better skater and defined role over a fighter with no role. Lets end this but bring it back into play during the playoffs.  When Paille plays and when Thorton plays?  Deal? Lets see who does what.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Ther is no way that you rest Bergeron in the Playoffs.  As you know, special teams play a very important role in the playoffs and Claude would have to be three sheets to the wind to put Paille over the boards in order to rest Bergeron at any point.  I listed what Shawn brings to the table besides fighting, especially in the hit department. E-N-E-R-G-Y  

Deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Not saying you rest Bergie.  I meant it gives Bergie maybe one PK or two off a game to stay rested against the other teams top lines.  If you notice most teams dont have their best fwds killing penalties.  I know I dont wanna lose Bergie for blocking a shot in a 7 game series.  I have no issue throwing Paille over the boards on OT as well.  Thorton not so much.

Lets meet back and chat this up once the playoffs come.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton vs. Rupp : Where is the proof?  Is he better in the takeaway category?  Does he have more hits than Thornton?  Just because he can skate fast, does not make him effective?  Maybe the Bruins should get Shani Davis to play 4th line, because he is a lot faster then Paille!
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

Good one MeanE on Shani Davis.  You have to think Shani would play with more of a mean streak than Ryder.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton vs. Rupp : I just told you who will kill penalties, and you still haven't told me what his speed has done?  Thornton's role will be what it has been all year,  ENERGY and responsibility!   4th on the team in hits with 135 even though he is last on the team in avg. TOI!  Out of Ryder, Thornton, and Paille; Shawn has the best giveaway/takeaway difference .   He is +16 , Paille is +5, and Ryder is +2.  Let's look at Plus/Minus, Thornton is +7 , Paille is -1, and Ryder is -5!  Blocked shots Ryder 19, Thornton 17, and Paille 12.  Last time I checked how fast someone skated around the rink only mattered at the All-Star Game.  None of them take faceoffs.  How many other ways do you want me to slice it.  Thornton has outperformed Paille and Ryder!  Ryder has the goals, but has already proven that he can't play on the 4th line and is a minus player to boot!  Paille hasn't done anything except get suspended for a cheep shot to the head!
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

The problem is that the stats you're listing are subjective.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton vs. Rupp : The problem is that the stats you're listing are subjective.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

yeah, equally subjective!  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In a perfect world neither would be needed to play important games in the playoffs....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton vs. Rupp : Where is the proof?  Is he better in the takeaway category?  Does he have more hits than Thornton?  Just because he can skate fast, does not make him effective?  Maybe the Bruins should get Shani Davis to play 4th line, because he is a lot faster then Paille!
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

The proof is on the ice.  Paille was acquired for his penalty killing.  He does a good job at that.  Thornton was hired for his fighting.  He does a good job at that.

There isn't much fighting in the playoffs.  There is plenty of penalty killing.  Paille's value doesn't reside in his ability to skate fast.  It's his ability to stop the other team from scoring.  I would suggest watching more games and looking at less stat sheets when evaluating players who have value that isn't prevalent in the box scores.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

That is why I said Paille. His speed allows him to forecheck like that!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton vs. Rupp : The proof is on the ice.  Paille was acquired for his penalty killing.  He does a good job at that.  Thornton was hired for his fighting.  He does a good job at that. There isn't much fighting in the playoffs.  There is plenty of penalty killing.  Paille's value doesn't reside in his ability to skate fast.  It's his ability to stop the other team from scoring.  I would suggest watching more games and looking at less stat sheets when evaluating players who have value that isn't prevalent in the box scores.

What proof is on the ice? Because you told me so, because you watch a lot of hockey?  I would suggest you actually watch the games, because you obviously aren't watching the same game as Claude Julien or Lindy Ruff.  How many penalty killers would you like on the team?  Who is he gonna replace on the PK?  Bergeron, Marchand, Peverly, Kelly, Campbell, Recchi?  As I have already proven Thornton brings more than just fighting, clearly Paille is nothing more than a 7th penalty killer.  I'll take the guy that hits more, scores more this year, is more responsible in both ends as evidenced by his +/- and giveaway to takeaway ratio.  If Paille stops others from scoring, why is he one of the few minus players on the team?  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]That is why I said Paille. His speed allows him to forecheck like that!
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton vs. Rupp : What proof is on the ice? Because you told me so, because you watch a lot of hockey?  I would suggest you actually watch the games, because you obviously aren't watching the same game as Claude Julien or Lindy Ruff.  How many penalty killers would you like on the team?  Who is he gonna replace on the PK?  Bergeron, Marchand, Peverly, Kelly, Campbell, Recchi?  As I have already proven Thornton brings more than just fighting, clearly Paille is nothing more than a 7th penalty killer.  I'll take the guy that hits more, scores more this year, is more responsible in both ends as evidenced by his +/- and giveaway to takeaway ratio.  If Paille stops others from scoring, why is he one of the few minus players on the team?  
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

1. +/- is a flawed stat.  Phil Kessel was +23 on Boston.  Good luck holding any position with that as a foundation.

2.  What does Thornton bring?  You've offered subjective stats such as giveaway/takeaway and hits.  Look at the game tonight.  That clown is in the dressing room and what happens?  His line scores without him.

3.  We'll see how much Thornton contributes in the playoffs, then discuss this further.  You have your stat sheet.  I watch the games.  Let's see what happens.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton vs. Rupp : 1. +/- is a flawed stat.  Phil Kessel was +23 on Boston.  Good luck holding any position with that as a foundation. 2.  What does Thornton bring?  You've offered subjective stats such as giveaway/takeaway and hits.  Look at the game tonight.  That clown is in the dressing room and what happens?  His line scores without him. 3.  We'll see how much Thornton contributes in the playoffs, then discuss this further.  You have your stat sheet.  I watch the games.  Let's see what happens.
    Who cares what PK's +/- is or was, if anything it shows how bad you have to be in Boston to be a minus.  It's amazing that the NHL takes the time to report on all these subjective, meaningless stats, don't they watch the games?  His line scored, because the hottest scorer on the team right now made a great move. We will see what happens!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

What a blohard nashole. You were Wedgie Dunlop. Your panties must have been soaked when Thornton got cut.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton vs. Rupp : Who cares what PK's +/- is or was, if anything it shows how bad you have to be in Boston to be a minus.  It's amazing that the NHL takes the time to report on all these subjective, meaningless stats, don't they watch the games?  His line scored, because the hottest scorer on the team right now made a great move. We will see what happens!
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]
    Made a great move after Paille made one of the dumbest passses I have ever seen. Luckily Horton was there, could've been a game changer the other way. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton vs. Rupp : Made a great move after Paille made one of the dumbest passses I have ever seen. Luckily Horton was there, could've been a game changer the other way. 
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

obviously you are not watching the game the right way! LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton vs. Rupp : 1. +/- is a flawed stat.  Phil Kessel was +23 on Boston.  Good luck holding any position with that as a foundation. 2.  What does Thornton bring?  You've offered subjective stats such as giveaway/takeaway and hits.  Look at the game tonight.  That clown is in the dressing room and what happens?  His line scores without him. 3.  We'll see how much Thornton contributes in the playoffs, then discuss this further.  You have your stat sheet.  I watch the games.  Let's see what happens.
    Don't want to wade into the Thornton debate outside of the fact that I share NAS's take on the +/- stat being flawed.  In fact, I think it's the most over-rated stat in hockey.

In a recent game (I think it was the Tampa Bay win over the Leafs), the Tampa player made a pass that sprung his teammate open for a breakaway that eventually resulted in a goal.  Unfortunately he left the ice before the goal was scored so, while he got an assist on the goal he did NOT get a + since he was off the ice.

Also, PP points are NOT included in +/- stats.

I think it talks more to a team that has a good defensive system more then anything.  Great goaltending helps too......

I'm thinking you'll see very little of Thornton in the playoffs, possibly alittle more when and if they run into Philly.

Sections
Shortcuts