Thornton vs Seguin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FerenceONpoint. Show FerenceONpoint's posts

Thornton vs Seguin

I don't anticipate any roster changes tonight.  And I also don't expect Thornton to step on the ice unless its a blowout (which it won't be).

Our PP is abysmal / nonexistant.  Seguin would be fresh legs and a quick, hard shot.  Other than the PP, he would be glued to the bench.

My question:
    Is Shawn Thornton in the lineup purely for emotional support?  There was a clip last night on the NESN broadcast, in the 3rd period, that showed Thornton yapping quite ferociously at the bench, in what appeared to be motivational encouragement.  I just don't see any other reason for him to be dressed.  Is Thornty's locker room and in-game-bench presence really that impactful?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re: Thornton vs Seguin

Seguin with Bergeron and Marchand ...Recchi sits for a game ..

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton vs Seguin:
    [QUOTE]Seguin with Bergeron and Marchand ...Recchi sits for a game .. Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011[/QUOTE]

I still can't tell when you are serios or not.  I felt Recchi was one of our better players last night.  He made some crisp passes even strength and on the PP when everyone else seemed to be throwing the puck away.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FerenceONpoint. Show FerenceONpoint's posts

Thornton played 4 shifts last night, I think all in the first period, totalling 2:27 seconds.

I expect even less tonight.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Thornton vs Seguin:
    [QUOTE]I don't anticipate any roster changes tonight.  And I also don't expect Thornton to step on the ice unless its a blowout (which it won't be). Our PP is abysmal / nonexistant.  Seguin would be fresh legs and a quick, hard shot.  Other than the PP, he would be glued to the bench. My question: Is Shawn Thornton in the lineup  purely  for emotional support?  There was a clip last night on the NESN broadcast, in the 3rd period, that showed Thornton yapping quite ferociously at the bench, in what appeared to be motivational encouragement.  I just don't see any other reason for him to be dressed.  Is Thornty's locker room and in-game-bench presence  really  that impactful?
    Posted by FerenceONpoint[/QUOTE]
    You need someone to sit in the penalty box for the next stupid Bruin that takes a match penalty is and kicked out of the game.  I wonder if the seats in the peanlty box are any more comfortable than the team bench?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FerenceONpoint. Show FerenceONpoint's posts

Just don't see how emotional support in the locker room can trump potential power play production.  (PPPP?)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I think it would help the B's. Especially if Seguin was only going to see PP time.
    But the odds of it happening are 0.0%
    Claude loves "the wiley vet" Thornton and will have him dressed.
    ...and yes, it appears it is just for emotional leadership.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I would worry about the Shabs running Seguin every time he had the puck on the PP - just pressure the crabs out of him and hope he coughs up a short-handed chance.  Too much riding on this game to put the kid in that situation.  Imagine him getting a call from Campoli tomorrow morning suggesting they compare notes and go into hiding together.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FerenceONpoint. Show FerenceONpoint's posts

HA ... poor Chris Campoli.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I understand that BB, and it is a well founded point.
    But what if, on the other hand, he shows poise, skating ability, and an actual  shot on the powerplay?

You're saying the risk is not worth the reward, I understand it but I've got to disagree. Especially if we are only talking about the odd shift and some PP time. Their PP has been a true Achille's heel, I think we'd all agree. Thornton couldn't help that in a month of Sundays...#19 possibly could.

But it is a moot point as CJ would never bench Thornton in favor of the kid...it's just not in his DNA.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

There's no possible way it could hurt us starting Seguin over Thornton, considering Thornton's 2.5 minutes of ice time in last night's game...  and our PP couldn't possibly get ANY worse so I say why the heck not?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I say Seguin over Paille.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

And speaking of picking a warm body to put in the penalty box, no one on the Bruins I would want in the penalty box MORE than Seguin.

Why?

As NAS has pointed out, how many times when a penalty expires does that guy come out of the box and collect a long pass for a breakaway?

And far and away I pick Seguin for the player I want on a breakaway, certainly for any Bruin and I would go as far as to say he's one of the best in the league on a breakaway.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

I want to see Seguin pull a Petr Klima

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Thornton vs Seguin : You need someone to sit in the penalty box for the next stupid Bruin that takes a match penalty is and kicked out of the game.  I wonder if the seats in the peanlty box are any more comfortable than the team bench?
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

When was the last Bruin to take a "Match penalty?" Can't think of him.

Ference, you are right... value of Thornton talking on the bench vs Seguin on the PP?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

[QUOTE]I understand that BB, and it is a well founded point. But what if, on the other hand, he shows poise, skating ability, and an actual  shot on the powerplay? You're saying the risk is not worth the reward, I understand it but I've got to disagree. Especially if we are only talking about the odd shift and some PP time. Their PP has been a true Achille's heel, I think we'd all agree. Thornton couldn't help that in a month of Sundays...#19 possibly could. But it is a moot point as CJ would never bench Thornton in favor of the kid...it's just not in his DNA.
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

I've seen no indication that Seguin is ready this year. He's great in space but Montreal is giving the Bs no space to work.

Seguin looked ok on the PP but I don't see that he adds another dimension to the PP.

If the Bs get out of the first round, you will likely see him play as the game is too physical to not see a player go down with an injury.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

[QUOTE]Seguin with Bergeron and Marchand ...Recchi sits for a game .. Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011[/QUOTE]

Yes having Thornton play is a total waste,let Seguin in,and Rechi needs to sit out he looks like old man out there,and especilly playing back to back games.

Sections
Shortcuts