Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston

In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : 74 +1 < yah like your boy Pouliot "lots of heart". McDermind will be in Shawn's place next year cause he doesn't look to pull anyones jersey over their head during a fight. Lane actually does his job he finsihes what he starts. He's not paid to be liked by his coach :shakehead:
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Yeah heart had nothing to do with the Bruins beating the most skilled team in the league (the Canucks) last year. In case you haven't watched a game in the last five years the Bruins aren't the most skilled team in the league...they WERE the team with the most heart last year. But yeah lets get rid of the guy that's a known leader in the room who can contribute a little to offense, has no problem fighting people 6 inches and 100 pounds bigger than him, and knows his role on the team. The best quote I can think of from Thornton is when he was asked why he was standing outside the locker room and he said, "Power play meeting." Guy knows his place and has no problem taking a paycut to stay in Boston. PERFECT fourth line player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : Yeah heart had nothing to do with the Bruins beating the most skilled team in the league (the Canucks) last year. In case you haven't watched a game in the last five years the Bruins aren't the most skilled team in the league...they WERE the team with the most heart last year. But yeah lets get rid of the guy that's a known leader in the room who can contribute a little to offense, has no problem fighting people 6 inches and 100 pounds bigger than him, and knows his role on the team. The best quote I can think of from Thornton is when he was asked why he was standing outside the locker room and he said, "Power play meeting." Guy knows his place and has no problem taking a paycut to stay in Boston. PERFECT fourth line player.
    Posted by dalexander2424[/QUOTE]

Let me know when he gets his second goal this season.  It'll be a 100% increase over '09-10.

Plenty of guys will fight anyone in the league.  Those guys know their roles, also.  On a team with Chara and Bergeron, another leader isn't a dire need.

But, let's not allow reason to come into play here.  Let's take a hard look at the facts.  He's really funny.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]If you must have an Enforcer, then Thornton is as good as you can get. 10 goals / 20 pts last year. Never hear of him being trouble on the team.  He has shown he can handle the rigors of the NHL and the job. Sometimes these young guys don't always do the job. I'd keep him. 
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

will he get half those totals this year w.o brad.  I would bet the farm against it.  in fact if he gets 5 goals i would be thrilled. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

To say he wasn't a valuable contributor to the success of this team last year would be wrong. Simply put, Shawn Thornton was put out there regularly by the Stanley Cup Winning Coach, even in the playoffs. That must count for something.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from video1. Show video1's posts

Everybody is forgetting what else Shawn does.  Notice how he almost always gets the puck deep when he's on the rush and there is no opening? Or back checking with everything he's got to break up a chance?

Fighting in the right circumstances is awesome and chipping in a goal now and again is great...but giving the coach a dependable body to take the ice while the more skilled players rest is invaluable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

NAS & shupe... thornton doesn't have ESP. how was he supposed to know matt cooke was going to cheap shot savard? if he did, and fought him beforehand, do you think cooke would have stayed away? no. cooke has been in many fights before, hasn't changed the way he plays the game. i'd say that 95% of the guys in the league are detered by this "code", but there will always be the matt cookes of the world that don't respond to that deterent. it's not that thornton is not needed, or fighting that's not needed, it's the matt cookes of the world that are not needed- ask sean avery

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

No fault of yours dez as you had a legitimate topic to put up. But even in a tiny way you had to know this ^^^^^^^ was going to happen.

A sarcastic thanks to you. On a positive note maybe this will be kept all under the same thread and not spread like wildfire to other threads like before.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Not too sure what Thornton's response should have looked like after the Cooke cheap shot on Savvy.  He challenged Cooke, they fought, Cooke survived.  Had Cooke not stood up and fought Thornton...well that's different but he did.  Should Thornton try and fight him every game?  I would rather see Thornton or whoever (Boychuk comes to mind) take a clean run at Letang or Malkin or Sid instead of wasting more time on Cooke.  The Pens have a bit too much of a history for me when it comes to taking out key Bruin players.  That is my kind of payback.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I feel like we have this discussion way too often...half of you are results-driven and think he doesn't do enough, while the other half claim that intangibles are important and every winning team needs "character" guys.

I'm with the second camp. He is not a liability out there. Look at other team's 4th lines and the +/- difference for Boston is a distinct advantage. How many times did we say the Bs were the deeper, more complete team? That includes Thornton.

The fighting is secondary, to be honest. The Bruins are a much more intimidating team when everyone is involved. I recall a stretch last year around that long road trip when Campbell, Horton, Lucic, Chara, McQuaid, Thornton and Ference all dropped the gloves. Even Recchi joined in (and "heavyweight" Krejci a little later). Teams must have been playing with their head on a swivel...and that's how Boston should handle their business in the future.

The practice and locker room stuff, while tough for fans to pin down, is clear with Thornton. He makes everyone honest, especially young guys looking to take over his spot as the 12th forward. And when he does sit in the press box, he's still a team-first guy. Doesn't get paid much. What's not to like?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Fighters generally don't prevent cheap shots.  They can affect the attitude of a game. The big example is the final, where the Canucks were being chippy and yappy for the first 2 games and much less so after that. Thornton is a big, mouthy guy who is more than willing to fight if you are.  A guy like Burrows is yappy but not willing to back it up.  Everyone knows it, most of all the players themselves.  This affects a situation on a sub-conscious level, like two mountain lions posturing for territory. Quite often animals do not end up in actual conflict, the one that knows it is weaker and less willing will back down and concede. We saw that in the final, players like Thornton (and moreso Lucic, Chara, Marchand and so on...) bring that to the game. As fighters go, Thronton is as good to have as any.  He's cheap, played on some winners, has a good personality and is good at simple hockey.  He doesn't cost you. If he continues to play this way I'd love to have him around for a while longer.  I do get concerned with old fighters though. Sometimes when a guy gets older and richer he is less willing to take the beatings and the beat-up hands. A young, hungry player can bring more attitude. I would take Thornton in low-dollar two-year segments at most.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]If you must have an Enforcer, then Thornton is as good as you can get. 10 goals/ 20 pts last year. Never hear of him being trouble on the team.  He has shown he can handle the rigors of the NHL and the job. Sometimes these young guys don't always do the job. I'd keep him. 
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

Did anyone ever answer the question how many of those goals he had when Marchand was playing with him ? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

All this time i thought it was Joe

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : Did anyone ever answer the question how many of those goals he had when Marchand was playing with him ? 
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

He had one goal in October, 3 each in November and December.  I can't remember when Marchand graduated to Bergy's line. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I keep reading these posts that say Shawn Thornton is GREAT IN THE LOCKER ROOM. How about on the ice? Any cheerleader, some are cuter than others, can be wonderful in the locker room, but, if their contribution "on the ice" is bupkus, who needs them? Shawn is not contributing "on the Ice" no matter how many Colton Orr's, who also don't contribute on the ice, he faces. Let's stop making an excellent cheerleader anything but. Good guy; limited skills; gives 110% every night, but none of it contributes to a game winning goal or assist .

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Having someone cheer from the outside is very different from having someone cheer from within.  You won't find many guys making near the league minimum that score many winners or set them up.  You won't find guys that want to be scorers but are given the least ice time on the team maintaining a positive attitude. If you have a 12th forward that is cheep, tries hard, isn't a liability, helps the team attitude and is tough, you are doing well. Caron and Pouliot have way more talent, but they are struggling to get it going with only 10 minutes or less of ice time a game. A better player doesn't make a better team when you are talking about the last roster spot.

[QUOTE]I keep reading these posts that say Shawn Thornton is GREAT IN THE LOCKER ROOM. How about on the ice? Any cheerleader, some are cuter than others, can be wonderful in the locker room, but, if their contribution "on the ice" is bupkus, who needs them? Shawn is not contributing "on the Ice" no matter how many Colton Orr's, who also don't contribute on the ice, he faces. Let's stop making an excellent cheerleader anything but. Good guy; limited skills; gives 110% every night, but none of it contributes to a game winning goal or assist .
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]I keep reading these posts that say Shawn Thornton is GREAT IN THE LOCKER ROOM. How about on the ice? Any cheerleader, some are cuter than others, can be wonderful in the locker room, but, if their contribution "on the ice" is bupkus, who needs them? Shawn is not contributing "on the Ice" no matter how many Colton Orr's, who also don't contribute on the ice, he faces. Let's stop making an excellent cheerleader anything but. Good guy; limited skills; gives 110% every night, but none of it contributes to a game winning goal or assist .
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]
    he's no bergeron, he does not contribute EVERY game. but, when the team starts flat, he has and does get them emotionally involved with a scrap(33-10 when he fights), or just flying around hitting people. the bruins are a team of role players- no superstar 50 goal guys. each player is a piece of the puzzle, no piece more important than the rest. i'd much rather this be the case than rely on 1 or 2 guys to carry the load. ask nj how it feels to have all your eggs in one basket (kovalchuk)- two months into last season- a one shawn thornton had more goals than ^. nj doesn't make the playoffs, bruins win the cup... i'll take role players over primadonnas.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Wow, don't hold back.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : what's that have to do with protecting him, he wasn't on the ice number 1 and number 2 im pretty sure thorty took pretty good care of cooke after they played again. NAS YOUR COMMENTS AND POST ARE FCUKING IDIOTIC !!!
    Posted by big_bad_bruins[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

As the pressure mounts on Claude  his primary option will be to add skill to the 4th line. That's not a put down on Shawn[ why did his mother give him a girl's name], it's just a fact of life. Shawn has ben useful since he came to Boston, and has milked the publicity, and the Garden's delight at fighting,to prolong his career. No one is denying that, but his skills [pugilistic] are no longer a primary need, while pure hockey skills are vital to Claude's penchant for rolling 4 lines. As S.J. clearly showed improvement in skills for both the Kreji and Campbell lines is imperative to maintain the pressure and coverage demanded by Claude.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Should Thornton try and fight him every game?  I would rather see Thornton or whoever (Boychuk comes to mind) take a clean run at Letang or Malkin or Sid instead of wasting more time on Cooke.  The Pens have a bit too much of a history for me when it comes to taking out key Bruin players.  That is my kind of payback.
    Posted by misterpaulo[/QUOTE]

Yes, he should fight him every game that Savard is out.  That would be retribution and a deterrent.  Obviously that's not reasonable, but it would be great.

As for taking out other, uninvolved players, that's ridiculous.  That's as dumb as littering the ice being a good thing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : (33-10 when he fights),
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

When he ended the fight early against Vandemeer and they lost...did he help?

Oh, you must be referring to games like the one where he beat up Roman Hamrlik with under a minute to go in an 8-5 game.

Yes!  Fight and win!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think, and I may be wrong, NAS will let me know if I am I'm sure, but I think NAS's point as to the Savard thing was clearly Matt Cooke was not afraid of answering to Shawn Thornton when he took out Savard. We all know he was not on the ice when it happened, but and this is what NAS is saying. How much do enforcers play? 8-10 mins max? On a good night. Thornton is a good enforcer, will go with anyone but I don't think he strikes fear into anyone. Think Matt Cooke does that with Derek Boogard in the same building? gretzky got hit a couple times, early in his career, and never again did anyone hit him or try to hit him. Because those teams had guys that struck fear into oppsing players, whether they were on the ice or not, that person was paying instantly. If your Shawn Thornton there, you come off the bench, beat the pulp out of Matt Cooke and take the 10 game suspension with a smile and tons of of respect from your mates and other players across the league. A staged fight the next time they play does nothing. If anything, Matt Cooke gets brownie points for answering the bell from his teammates.
    Enforcers are paid to protect their players, not wait months to make players pay.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I think, and I may be wrong, NAS will let me know if I am I'm sure, but I think NAS's point as to the Savard thing was clearly Matt Cooke was not afraid of answering to Shawn Thornton when he took out Savard. We all know he was not on the ice when it happened, but and this is what NAS is saying. How much do enforcers play? 8-10 mins max? On a good night. Thornton is a good enforcer, will go with anyone but I don't think he strikes fear into anyone. Think Matt Cooke does that with Derek Boogard in the same building? gretzky got hit a couple times, early in his career, and never again did anyone hit him or try to hit him. Because those teams had guys that struck fear into oppsing players, whether they were on the ice or not, that person was paying instantly. If your Shawn Thornton there, you come off the bench, beat the pulp out of Matt Cooke and take the 10 game suspension with a smile and tons of of respect from your mates and other players across the league. A staged fight the next time they play does nothing. If anything, Matt Cooke gets brownie points for answering the bell from his teammates. Enforcers are paid to protect their players, not wait months to make players pay.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    That's how I interpreted it too. Shawn seems like a great guy and all but that doesn't stop anyone from running our top guys. I don't think anyone in the league is afraid of Thornton because they know he won't beat them up if they ask him not to.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : That's how I interpreted it too. Shawn seems like a great guy and all but that doesn't stop anyone from running our top guys. I don't think anyone in the league is afraid of Thornton because they know he won't beat them up if they ask him not to.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Seriously I think he is too well liked around the league.  I want my enforcer to be 3/4's crazy.  Dave Semenko like.  Touch anyone on our team and I will beat you up. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : When he ended the fight early against Vandemeer and they lost...did he help? Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

^No!

"No one is denying that, but his skills [pugilistic] are no longer a primary need, while pure hockey skills are vital to Claude's penchant for rolling 4 lines."

Post of the thread Bogie!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : Seriously I think he is too well liked around the league.  I want my enforcer to be 3/4's crazy.  Dave Semenko like.  Touch anyone on our team and I will beat you up. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    Remember the way guys like Stevens or Dave Manson used to just SNAP? I'm with you on this Shupe. It's nice when your enforcer has a touch of crazy.