Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston

I suppose this is good news for some.......others may not be as excited about the prospect of Shawn resigning at the end of his deal. Should PC offer an extension to Thornton or should he assume Macdermid or Randell will be ready to make the jump?

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/post/-?blockID=582532&feedID=3944

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston

Hopefully its soon lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Why did I think "Joe Thornton?"

Now that would be more interesting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

His contract expires this year so I guess this is the farewell tour. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Entrapment Dez.  You are inciting a riot from NAS and I.  You my friend are a party to the offense. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I thought it was about Joe as well..oh well...give this about another hour or so when NAS gets home from whatever he does during the day, and we'll take it from there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston:
    [QUOTE]I thought it was about Joe as well..oh well...give this about another hour or so when NAS gets home from whatever he does during the day, and we'll take it from there.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    ^This

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Love this guy. Hope PC re-signs him, but I doubt he can keep it going for more than 2 more years. I'd re-sign him because he is a low-risk investment that appears to be a good locker room presence, wants to be here, has a very positive relationship with the fan base, and plays an important role on the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

I can see maybe signing him for one more year. He's done about as good a job in both protecting and playing as any tough guy in the league the past few years. On another note, Colton Orr hasn't played a game since him and Thornton fought last week. I know he got caught by one good right hand by Shawn. Think he got hurt (head) again?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]He's done about as good a job in both protecting and playing as any tough guy in the league the past few years.
    Posted by mxt[/QUOTE]

Every heard of Marc Savard?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

Why not? He'll sign at .5 mill and he's a solid fourth line player that brings a lot of heart to the locker room. There's no risk here. 

From what I hear he's the most liked guy in the locker room...something that's impossible to coach. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : Every heard of Marc Savard?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Read my above post.  No logic is permitted in this conversation.  This was Dez being bored and wanting to lure us in.  Run NAS.  RUN!!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Shawn should be able to retire and find some nice houses on the Cape with the money he has earned from the Bs.  Good luck to him.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Maybe he'll win me over Thursday night.  I wonder if the Habs have any weak players for Thornton to pummel, or maybe a tougher guy for him twirl around with, pull the jersey and call the fight.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

No, I've only been following the Bruins since 1972. Never heard of him.

n Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : Every heard of Marc Savard?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]No, I've only been following the Bruins since 1972. Never heard of him. n Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston :
    Posted by mxt[/QUOTE]

No worries.  I'll bring you up to speed.  While Shawn Thornton was protecting him with his excitement dancing on the bench and his requests for staged fisticuffs, Matt Cooke ended Savard's career with a vicious elbow to the head.

Thornton taugh him a lesson, however, by fighting Cooke one time.

Yep, that's protection!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston:[QUOTE]Why not? He'll sign at .5 mill and he's a solid fourth line player that brings a lot of heart to the locker room. There's no risk here.  From what I hear he's the most liked guy in the locker room...something that's impossible to coach
    Posted by dalexander2424[/QUOTE]

74 +1 < yah like your boy Pouliot "lots of heart". McDermind will be in Shawn's place next year cause he doesn't look to pull anyones jersey over their head during a fight. Lane actually does his job he finsihes what he starts.

He's not paid to be liked by his coach :shakehead:

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : Read my above post.  No logic is permitted in this conversation.  This was Dez being bored and wanting to lure us in.  Run NAS.  RUN!!!!!!
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    Admittedly, I was bored, but the question was legitimate. I think the younger and cheaper Macdermid will likely replace him next year but who knows? PC might keep giving Thornton 1 year deals until he retires.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : Admittedly, I was bored, but the question was legitimate. I think the younger and cheaper Macdermid will likely replace him next year but who knows? PC might keep giving Thornton 1 year deals until he retires.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Going cheap at this position is much better than paying Clowns what they think they should get.  ST is making a play now to get a contract.  I agree going with the younger hungry MacD is just what the salary cap ordered. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : Going cheap at this position is much better than paying Clowns what they think they should get.  Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Case in point - Tie Domi who in '03/'04 earned $2 million with the Leafs. His last year with them garnered $1.5 million in the 2005/2006 season.  Mind you, if club brass is willing to dish out this kind of money for the role, one would be a fool not to take it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

If you must have an Enforcer, then Thornton is as good as you can get. 10 goals / 20 pts last year. Never hear of him being trouble on the team. 

He has shown he can handle the rigors of the NHL and the job. Sometimes these young guys don't always do the job. I'd keep him. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]If you must have an Enforcer, then Thornton is as good as you can get. 10 goals / 20 pts last year. Never hear of him being trouble on the team.  He has shown he can handle the rigors of the NHL and the job. Sometimes these young guys don't always do the job. I'd keep him. 
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

I knew someone would talk about his goal totals from last year. 

What about his goal total from the year before?  UNO!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Looks like Thornton was the difference in them winning the cup.......... 10 goals is a major improvement!!!!!!   (LOL)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : No worries.  I'll bring you up to speed.  While Shawn Thornton was protecting him with his excitement dancing on the bench and his requests for staged fisticuffs, Matt Cooke ended Savard's career with a vicious elbow to the head. Thornton taugh him a lesson, however, by fighting Cooke one time. Yep, that's protection!
       IMO, the problem with that line of reasoning, is there is no way of knowing how many times a player has decided against taking a run at a Bruin player, because of the presence of Thornton.
    It may be none, or it could be a lot. There is really no way of be 100% certain.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : No worries.  I'll bring you up to speed.  While Shawn Thornton was protecting him with his excitement dancing on the bench and his requests for staged fisticuffs, Matt Cooke ended Savard's career with a vicious elbow to the head. Thornton taugh him a lesson, however, by fighting Cooke one time. Yep, that's protection!

That's an excellent point.

This "code" that they were talking about when the Pens first met the Bruins the first time after that - that the one fight would settle everythng and then it would be done...  what nonsense that really is.

Fighting used to have a purpose, if you gave out a cheap shot the bench would empty out after you.

Now in this staged fight age, the low lifes get away with it.

Bring real fighting back.  Cooke shold be in a fight every Bruins game.

***  People, really give this a serious thought.  ***

Think about that tv cop hero who disregards the rules - and gets results - and the majority love that guy.

People cheer that guy.

But then you have unwritten rules, like the unwritten rules of fighting in hockey.

And anybody who breaks those rules, and gets results - people hate that guy.

People boo that guy.

Examples:
    S Thornton breaks the rules by fighting and stays within the unwritten code and people like that.
    S Avery breaks the rules in new and creative ways outside of the code and people hate that.

Sections
Shortcuts