Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston

I usually don't comment on the Thornton skating clown debate but right or wrong, the people in Vancouver (while discussing Canuck woes) refer to the ability to have a 4th line contribute-something they believe that the canuckleheads lacked in the final series. Pierre Maguire may not be a genious but he believes the 4th line and Shawn Thornton specifically had something to do with the canucks playing with a little less confidence. And they didn't have much of a response for Thornton-- or anything else for that matter. So I would say that in the past(The Stanley Cup final) Thorton played a role in that win. If you iced the exact same team again this year(player for player) could they (he) capture the magic again? I don't know.Going forward should Thornton remain part of the team?- I have a tendency to fall in love with certain players for nostalgia's sake so I have a bias towards the guy because watching him run around in games 3 and 4 smashing things made me believe the Canucks were thrown off their game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : Remember the way guys like Stevens or Dave Manson used to just SNAP? I'm with you on this Shupe. It's nice when your enforcer has a touch of crazy.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Stevens bit Manson in a fight.  I think the 80s clown would pump todays clown. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : Stevens bit Manson in a fight.  I think the 80s clown would pump todays clown. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    The 2 were accused of biting and eye gouging each other. They fought like they hated each other. 2 really mean guys on the ice. This was after the rivalry had heated up some......

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=stevens+manson&docid=1279794873237&mid=0D2FFDC1C4922D199D3E0D2FFDC1C4922D199D3E&FORM=LKVR4

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : The 2 were accused of biting and eye gouging each other. They fought like they hated each other. 2 really mean guys on the ice. This was after the rivalry had heated up some...... http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=stevens+manson&docid=1279794873237&mid=0D2FFDC1C4922D199D3E0D2FFDC1C4922D199D3E&FORM=LKVR4
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Dez, thanks for this.  Brought a smile and tear to my eye.  That was hate, that was hockey, that was fighting for your team mates and the crest. 
    I think I have told you this but I wanted to be Scott Stevens growing up.  Loved him in Washington.  I had Tackla pants and even cut my hair short like his. 
    For me hockey will always be defined by the 80's.  You had the end of careers and runs by the NYI, you had Canada Cups, you had the Oilers take over and then the heated battles with Calgary.  Really defined my hate of the Habs....to Mario.  Hockey was awesome in the 80s

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

I concur with Shupe on one point. To wit, the 87-89 Bs under O'Reilly were the most entertaining and balanced teams, aside from last year's....Firebrand hockey - talent and toughness. LB, Miller, Cam, Markwart, Kluzak... occasssionally Shoe; those guys fought mean too. Fire and ice, and that balance is what you need to win, even today. Too bad Milbury came along and ruined the party with his predilection with US colleage and Euro players....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : When he ended the fight early against Vandemeer and they lost...did he help? Oh, you must be referring to games like the one where he beat up Roman Hamrlik with under a minute to go in an 8-5 game. Yes!  Fight and win!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    what about the 30 victories? you seem to have a selective memory. whatever you need to tell yourself to confirm your own beliefs. i'm sure you think global warming is a myth, because it was chilly yesterday.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

"For me hockey will always be defined by the 80's."

Hockey in the 70's . Better for me !

Bobby Orr in his prime ..... 2 Bruins cups from great teams in '70 & '72....the animosity that still existed with the Soviets.....the Summit series........Paul Henderson's great goal ........the WHA.......Bobby Hull......Gordie Howe.......the magnificent Habs teams , love em or hate em.....Terry O'Reilly.....Gerry Cheevers....Bucyk......Don Cherry coaching the Bruins and his lunch bucket gang........ Bobby Clarke and the Broadstreet Bullies.... Lafleur......all those great Russian players Kharlamov, Tretiak. Maltsev, Mikhailov, Yakushev.........the French connection.....the emergence of Swedes coming to play in North America -  Salming , Nilsson and Hedberg......and last but not least memorable nicknames for hockey players and coaches such as Battleship Bob, Cowboy Bill, Terrible Ted, Spinner Spencer , The Hammer, Cheesy, The Chief , Moose, Freddy the Fog, Grapes, etc..............

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

u really think his staged fights win hockey games?  im asking seriously.  Im sure there is a stat about when Claude wears stripes down on his suit to make him look slimmer that have more influence on a Bruins games being won or lost.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]u really think his staged fights win hockey games?  im asking seriously.  Im sure there is a stat about when Claude wears stripes down on his suit to make him look slimmer that have more influence on a Bruins games being won or lost.
    i know you have a hard time with this shupe... but when the b's come out flat, and we all know they do at times, 75% of the time a fight occurs, the team responds. i've watched their games, you've watched their games, it's a fact. not my opinion. don't ask me why, i don't know. but it simply is the case. this team needs to be emotionally invested to play their best. again, don't ask me why, i don't know why. to top it off, they are usually trailing when they do fight, and then play lights out for the remainder of the game. but do continue to stand on your soapbox and shout, even if you may be wrong. the numbers seem to prove this, despite your personal agenda. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : i know you have a hard time with this shupe... but when the b's come out flat, and we all know they do at times, 75% of the time a fight occurs, the team responds. i've watched their games, you've watched their games, it's a fact. not my opinion. don't ask me why, i don't know. but it simply is the case. this team needs to be emotionally invested to play their best. again, don't ask me why, i don't know why. to top it off, they are usually trailing when they do fight, and then play lights out for the remainder of the game. but do continue to stand on your soapbox and shout, even if you may be wrong. the numbers seem to prove this, despite your personal agenda. 
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

what about the other 17 skaters.  And we won 16 games in the playoffs.  How many of those were won b/c of a fight by ST?  When the games meant the most zero fights from ST.  I like that stat better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i feel like i'm telling you stuff you already know, but oh well. the regular season is a long haul, and teams can at times look like they are just going through the motions. it's at these times during the regular season the team may need a little pick-me-up. this seems to be the case with the b's. as for the playoffs, the emotion level is started at a very high level. everyones backs are to the wall. and if i remember correctly, during last years playoffs, the b's were "chippier" than any other team participating. every team knew these post play scrums were going to happen with the bruins. that's what they needed to keep them emotionally "in the game". i'm sure you noticed this too?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]i feel like i'm telling you stuff you already know, but oh well. the regular season is a long haul, and teams can at times look like they are just going through the motions. it's at these times during the regular season the team may need a little pick-me-up. this seems to be the case with the b's. as for the playoffs, the emotion level is started at a very high level. everyones backs are to the wall. and if i remember correctly, during last years playoffs, the b's were "chippier" than any other team participating. every team knew these post play scrums were going to happen with the bruins. that's what they needed to keep them emotionally "in the game". i'm sure you noticed this too?
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

I won't argue that point b/c I think it can have a direct influence when done properly.  Like against chicago this year.  ST was mocked and said he would take care of it.  Scott called him out.  ST did nothing.  Even if he loses he is a winner. 
    They are staged and almost boring and I do like the odd scrap. 
    If this team had no one to play this role I would agree but we have numerous guys who could take things over and not rely on ST to "spark them".  Iggy looks to fight to get himself going and lead the team.  Why cant our guys do the same.

He likely will get resigned but I certainly dont want him back.  Old clowns are just really bad hockey players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : I won't argue that point b/c I think it can have a direct influence when done properly.  Like against chicago this year.  ST was mocked and said he would take care of it.  Scott called him out.  ST did nothing.  Even if he loses he is a winner.  They are staged and almost boring and I do like the odd scrap.  If this team had no one to play this role I would agree but we have numerous guys who could take things over and not rely on ST to "spark them".  Iggy looks to fight to get himself going and lead the team.  Why cant our guys do the same. He likely will get resigned but I certainly dont want him back.  Old clowns are just really bad hockey players.
    i don't know about you... but i'd much rather have thornton in the box for 5 minutes, than chara-lucic-ference- i think you see my point. this is obviously an exercise in futility, seeing as how your my is made up, and your stance immoveable. i'm a big fan of living, learning and growing. as soon as ones thoughts and beliefs become stagnant- one becomes blind (unwilling to see any other point of view).  i prefer to judge each situation on it's own merit, rather than "sticking to my guns"- and throwing out "blanket statements". anyways... i'm logging off, time to go home. GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... oh yeah and i hope the b's kick the living snot out of the habs tonight!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thornton Wants To Retire In Boston : Yes, he should fight him every game that Savard is out.  That would be retribution and a deterrent.  Obviously that's not reasonable, but it would be great. As for taking out other, uninvolved players, that's ridiculous.  That's as dumb as littering the ice being a good thing.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Targeting star players with clean physical play is called strategy imo and comparing that to fans littering the ice?  Unbelievable.

Thornton should attempt to fight Cooke every game?  Ok then.  Not in the NHL I watch.  When a score appears to be settled...it's settled.  The fact that you don't feel justice was served is fine but it doesn't mean Thornton should continue to instigate a fight with this clown. 

15. This post has been removed.