Thornton?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Thornton?

In Response to Re: Thornton?:
    In Response to Re: Thornton? : Our 4th line isn't as effective without Thornton. Campbell and Paille/Peverley would play much bigger with Thornton by their side.  And besides, with Thornton in the lineup maybe,just maybe, the Bruins don't get out hit by a faster Vancouver team!
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni

Read what NAS says.  When is the last time Thorton rocked anyone with a bone crushing hit.  Thorton would look like a beached whale in this series b/c there are extremely good players playing.   Putting a slow unskilled player in our lineup at this point would be a bad idea.  He isnt fighting anyone and he will not hit anyone but the glass after they are gone up the ice.  Paille meanwhile had a quietly productive game last night.  Van's PP is good.  And they never did anything. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton? : Our 4th line isn't as effective without Thornton. Campbell and Paille/Peverley would play much bigger with Thornton by their side.  And besides, with Thornton in the lineup maybe,just maybe, the Bruins don't get out hit by a faster Vancouver team!
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni

And for the record. We out hit them on the stat sheet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

They got bullied last night.  Bottom line.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

No one was bullied. It was a hard fought, very even game until Boychuck pulled his usual bonehead move and took himself out of the play, and never caught up with torres, his check. Can't have Chara and Seids play the whole game, but both boychuck and Kaberle were not up to the compete level last night. Really like to see Kamfer for Kaberle, and limit Boychuck's time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

bogie,

Kampfer was hurt prior to the playoffs and hasnt seen game action in over a month.  Kaberle is a puck moving dman.  The one way to counteract a hard forecheck is quick outlet passes.  Kaberle also eats a lot of PP time(no further comment needed b/c I know).  Kaberle didnt have an outstanding game.  No one did outside TT. 
    Game 1.  We lost 1-0 in the last 14 seconds to the super power Canucks.  We are fine!  No lineup changes needed other than getting Recchi off the second line.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

I would like to see Thornton in on 4th line.Peverley moved up to 2nd line and Recchi sit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I would like to see Thornton in on 4th line.Peverley moved up to 2nd line and Recchi sit.
    Posted by michaelf101

Why?

Van dressed its fastest lineup.  You want to counter by adding a guy who will be lost and possibly take a stupid penalty?  I would flip flop Recchi/Peverly.  But thats the only modification I would be making. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RechsimusMaximus. Show RechsimusMaximus's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton? : Why? Van dressed its fastest lineup.  You want to counter by adding a guy who will be lost and possibly take a stupid penalty?  I would flip flop Recchi/Peverly.  But thats the only modification I would be making. 
    Posted by shuperman

I like that but I'd really like to see what Seguin can do with Bergy/marchmont. Seemed like Seguins TOI was low for the Bruins fastest player against the fastest team in the league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton? : I like that but I'd really like to see what Seguin can do with Bergy/marchmont. Seemed like Seguins TOI was low for the Bruins fastest player against the fastest team in the league.
    Posted by RechsimusMaximus

Being fast means nothing.  Being smart means everything.  Seguin should get more ice time in game 2 if the refs put the whistle away.  very hard to get players into the game when they sit for long periods.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton? : Being fast means nothing.  Being smart means everything.  Seguin should get more ice time in game 2 if the refs put the whistle away.  very hard to get players into the game when they sit for long periods.
    Posted by shuperman

I agree  he is best when he gets a regular shift. Its just that only happens when he scores a highlight reel breakaway goal. Also the Torres line isnt a good matchup for the kid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bazza8. Show Bazza8's posts

Good to hear all the opinions but before I read this post I was hoping Thornton would play game 2, maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't look like Seguin is doing much out there?
    Thornton has won a Cup before and I feel he would add a spark to the line-up!! I hope he plays game 2.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Good to hear all the opinions but before I read this post I was hoping Thornton would play game 2, maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't look like Seguin is doing much out there? Thornton has won a Cup before and I feel he would add a spark to the line-up!! I hope he plays game 2.
    Posted by Bazza8

I dont think he played one game in the SCF that year though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Agreed  that more physical presence is required but there are plenty on the current roster that can do that.  No need to bring the one dimensional wonder in now. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Good to hear all the opinions but before I read this post I was hoping Thornton would play game 2, maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't look like Seguin is doing much out there? Thornton has won a Cup before and I feel he would add a spark to the line-up!! I hope he plays game 2.
    Posted by Bazza8

Bazza,

thing is Seguin could go off in another game and has magic hands.  Thorton will never do this and his hands are only magic when they arent hitting a helmet. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bazza8. Show Bazza8's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton? : Bazza, thing is Seguin could go off in another game and has magic hands.  Thorton will never do this and his hands are only magic when they arent hitting a helmet. 
    Posted by shuperman

Good point but am I the only one that thought Seguin looked lost out there last night? I realize he's only 19 but this is for the Cup. I feel Thornton could've actually done what Seguin did last night plus intimidated a few Cunucks.

What do you thinnk about Chara in front of the net on the PP? I don't like it, I think Luongo is glad he's not at the point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton? : Balance.  get a clue.  Thorton hasnt fought once in the playoffs.  He did nothing when Carcillo was face washing Savy after his return last year. Van hopes Thorton gets in.  Torres is not scared of Thorton.  If he ran Seabrook twice with Scott in the lineup you think Thorton scares him? Torres made it to the league with one style.  He isnt changing his style.  He is a hard hitting fwd.  He plays on the edge sometimes.  Similar to guys we have. 
    Posted by shuperman

Thornton doesn't have to fight to be effective. He was 1/3 of the 4th line all season long and contributed to making the Bruin's 4th line one of the top 3 4th lines in the league. If Campbell and Paille/Pevereley are not as effective out there , could it have something to do with Thorns not being dressed ?

But activating Thorns doesn't mean Paille has to sit! I would sit out the slower Recchi for a game or two and see what happens.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton? : Good point but am I the only one that thought Seguin looked lost out there last night? I realize he's only 19 but this is for the Cup. I feel Thornton could've actually done what Seguin did last night plus intimidated a few Cunucks. What do you thinnk about Chara in front of the net on the PP? I don't like it, I think Luongo is glad he's not at the point.
    Posted by Bazza8

Thorton isnt gonna intimidate anyone.  Not in the finals.  Did you see Hamhuis and Borrows trying to get under Chara skin.  Back in the day they would have had a knuckles tattoed to their head.  Not in todays NHL

Chara in front doesnt work and tires him out.  Playing fwd is not the same as defense.  More stops and starts and battling kiling penalties in front and battling on the PP in front will only cause an injury or for him to be worn out.  Put him on the point in the 2nd unit. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton? : ILH, I am of the exact same mind-set. I like Thornton but prefer he stays on the sidelines for this final round.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I think it must be pointed out since Thorton has been placed on the pine the 4th line has not delivered any energy and forechecking effectiveness that they are supposed to provide to this team.  Actually they haven't provided much at all since the Hab series..  Right now 4th line is contributing squat..not in goals , although once in a while it would help...but just an energy level that this team needs to get other lines going.. I would not have a problem sitting Paille..we have enough PK experts on the team.. Just look at the stats of the 4th line in the regular season when Thorton was on the line, it was a very effective unit..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from burythehabs. Show burythehabs's posts

How about Thornton in for Rex in game 2. Pev on 2nd line. It's getting chippy and some beatings might need to get handed out. With no suspension for Burrows (which I don't have a problem with), I'd like to see the B's mix it up a little.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

"Being fast means nothing"

are you serious? let's get more players  with recchi's speed???

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

The occassional snarl throughout this season has put them over the top a FEW times .... It can't be measuresm, but its impact is real

Those pops Looch and Horts threw at end of game 1 vs TB had an impact; everything that counts can't be counted.

I think it's time to put Thorts in for a game..... we're due for a little more physical presence

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

The opinions seem to be split down the middle on this subject.  It seemed to me that Vancouver had a ton of quality shots in game one, Tim Thomas was the only reason we were even in that game.  You would have a hard time convincing me that playing Thorny on the fourth line would make us any more vulnerable defensively.  I bet with Thorny on the ice there would be a lot less guys biting fingers, sneaking in face shots at the end of plays and throwing hip checks at our guys knees.  Again maybe Im wrong but I dont think so and I would rather be proven wrong by watching him play.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

JB,

This isnt Philly.  This is Van where they play a very up tempo style.  He offers nothing.  Our 4th line is fine the way it is. If Thorton came in the only one to come out would be Seguin.  Paille(PK-solid defensively), Recchi(simply not coming out).  Seguin has game breaking ability as we have already witnessed.  One shift if Van falls asleep at the wheel and Seguin can change the tempo.  No way is he coming out at this point.  Paille has earned his spot as has Recchi. 
    Thorny will only be back if there is an injury or if CJ has a moment in time and puts him back in. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton? : I think it must be pointed out since Thorton has been placed on the pine the 4th line has not delivered any energy and forechecking effectiveness that they are supposed to provide to this team.  Actually they haven't provided much at all since the Hab series..  Right now 4th line is contributing squat..not in goals , although once in a while it would help...but just an energy level that this team needs to get other lines going.. I would not have a problem sitting Paille..we have enough PK experts on the team.. Just look at the stats of the 4th line in the regular season when Thorton was on the line, it was a very effective unit..
    Posted by cowboys9

Actually it was when Marchand was on that line that it was effective. Once they moved Brad to Bergy's line it stopped producing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

I like Thorton.   He brings a lot of energy on the forecheck, hits hards, and when needed will drop the gloves with anyone.  In the playoffs dropping the gloves isn't needed, so that takes out one aspect of his game.

Paille is a very good penalty killer with speed to burn.  He isnt' going to be a scoring threat, espeically on a goalie like Luongo, but neither is Thorton.

I say keep Paille in for the Penalty Kill if for nothing else.   Special teams may end up deciding this series so we got to do anything we can to keep theirs from hitting the scoresheet.

Sections
Shortcuts