Thoughts from Montreal #2 (Hypocrisy)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

Thoughts from Montreal #2 (Hypocrisy)

Hi again,

I've been a little surprised with how much emphasis has been put on hypocrisy throughout discussions over this board and throughout the sports media in general. 

I have to admit that I haven't been used to such reactions over the issue of hypocrisy, especially not to the point of dismissing others actions or words over such a simple and basically human issue as hypocrisy.  I mean, if we stopped listening wherever we see hypocrisy, we'd be stuck not even listening to our own selves, no ?  I thought I must either be dumb for not seeing how much of a problem hypocrisy is, or, I'm a bit self conscious of my own hypocrisy and accepting, to a certain point, of other's own hypocrisy... (I know you'll reply "you're dumb", but anyway...).

I've been reading a few things on hypocrisy this afternoon... Here's an interesting statement I fell uppon...

(1) Hypocrisy is not simply failing to practice those virtues that one preaches. Samuel Johnson made this point when he wrote about the misuse of the charge of "hypocrisy" in Rambler No. 14:

Nothing is more unjust, however common, than to charge with hypocrisy him that expresses zeal for those virtues which he neglects to practice; since he may be sincerely convinced of the advantages of conquering his passions, without having yet obtained the victory, as a man may be confident of the advantages of a voyage, or a journey, without having courage or industry to undertake it, and may honestly recommend to others, those attempts which he neglects himself.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tuckerw3. Show Tuckerw3's posts

Re: Thoughts from Montreal #2 (Hypocrisy)

Canadiens fan on a Bruins board.  Got nothing better to do with your time?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Thoughts from Montreal #2 (Hypocrisy):
    Hi again, I've been a little surprised with how much emphasis has been put on hypocrisy throughout discussions over this board and throughout the sports media in general.  I have to admit that I haven't been used to such reactions over the issue of hypocrisy, especially not to the point of dismissing others actions or words over such a simple and basically human issue as hypocrisy.  I mean, if we stopped listening wherever we see hypocrisy, we'd be stuck not even listening to our own selves, no ?  I thought I must either be dumb for not seeing how much of a problem hypocrisy is, or, I'm a bit self conscious of my own hypocrisy and accepting, to a certain point, of other's own hypocrisy... (I know you'll reply "you're dumb", but anyway...). I've been reading a few things on hypocrisy this afternoon... Here's an interesting statement I fell uppon... (1) Hypocrisy is not simply failing to practice those virtues that one preaches. Samuel Johnson made this point when he wrote about the misuse of the charge of "hypocrisy" in Rambler No. 14 : Nothing is more unjust, however common, than to charge with hypocrisy him that expresses zeal for those virtues which he neglects to practice; since he may be sincerely convinced of the advantages of conquering his passions, without having yet obtained the victory, as a man may be confident of the advantages of a voyage, or a journey, without having courage or industry to undertake it, and may honestly recommend to others, those attempts which he neglects himself.
    Posted by Wedgy-Dunlop

Wedgy,I'm afraid even the example cited is irrelevant to the hypocrisy issues so often discussed here(Mario/Hab fans outrage over dirty play).The author's example  refers to a fellow not having the means and/or courage to set out on a voyage yet he still may feel the need to recommend the trip to others.Mario and the Habs fans had every opportunity to speak out/take action to eliminate dirty play well before it occurred in their own backyards.Nice try but I'm afraid not overly relevant other than the article being about hypocrisy in general.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts from Montreal #2 (Hypocrisy):
    In Response to Thoughts from Montreal #2 (Hypocrisy) : Wedgy,I'm afraid even the example cited is irrelevant to the hypocrisy issues so often discussed here(Mario/Hab fans outrage over dirty play).The author's example  refers to a fellow not having the means and/or courage to set out on a voyage yet he still may feel the need to recommend the trip to others.Mario and the Habs fans had every opportunity to speak out/take action to eliminate dirty play well before it occurred in their own backyards.Nice try but I'm afraid not overly relevant other than the article being about hypocrisy in general.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Niccccccccce!!!!! Stick it too this Hab lover with blinders on Dez! Now he's trying to excuse the behavior of the Montrealer's. VIA rail, Air Canada, Mr. Molson, Mr. Lemieux & the members of the Canadiens! I wonder if Wedge has some beautiful insight on Double Standards? Who will he quote for that Rasputin?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

An election is coming in Canada.  Watch that Pacioretty hit end up on a billboard somewhere.  What a crock. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

In Response to Thoughts from Montreal #2 (Hypocrisy) : Wedgy,I'm afraid even the example cited is irrelevant to the hypocrisy issues so often discussed here(Mario/Hab fans outrage over dirty play).The author's example  refers to a fellow not having the means and/or courage to set out on a voyage yet he still may feel the need to recommend the trip to others.Mario and the Habs fans had every opportunity to speak out/take action to eliminate dirty play well before it occurred in their own backyards.Nice try but I'm afraid not overly relevant other than the article being about hypocrisy in general.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I don't see how your comment makes the example cited irrelevant...  And I don't see either how the trigger of something occuring in your own backyard makes any actions automatically irrelevant.  Looks pretty obvious to all of you, but you all say this with a sense of conviction that should be backed up by some explanations... Beside being generally accepted by your buddies, what makes your call on hypocrisy so relevant as an argument against any actions taken from the parties you mentionned ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts from Montreal #2 (Hypocrisy) : I don't see how your comment makes the example cited irrelevant...  And I don't see either how the trigger of something occuring in your own backyard makes any actions automatically irrelevant.  Looks pretty obvious to all of you, but you all say this with a sense of conviction that should be backed up by some explanations... Beside being generally accepted by your buddies, what makes your call on hypocrisy so relevant as an argument against any actions taken from the parties you mentionned ?
    Posted by Wedgy-Dunlop

Stop.Take a deep breath,and start over in English.What I said was the example of hypocrisy that you chose to quote was not relevant to the situation at hand.The article you chose was even actually about the "misuse of the charge of hypcrisy".I shouldn't be surprised that you would misuse an article ABOUT the misuse of HYPOCRISY.Good day!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts from Montreal #2 (Hypocrisy) : Stop.Take a deep breath,and start over in English.What I said was the example of hypocrisy that you chose to quote was not relevant to the situation at hand.The article you chose was even actually about the "misuse of the charge of hypcrisy".I shouldn't be surprised that you would misuse an article ABOUT the misuse of HYPOCRISY.Good day!
    Posted by dezaruchi

It's only irrelevant if you think "voyage and journey" means climbing in your car and take a ride to Ohio...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts from Montreal #2 (Hypocrisy) : It's only irrelevant if you think "voyage and journey" means climbing in your car and take a ride to Ohio...
    Posted by Wedgy-Dunlop

Going around in circles here.Lemieux and the Habs had many an opportunity to start on a metaphorical journey to stamp out dirty play,well before they found themselves with their own problems.At best,it smacks of insincerity.Feel free to better explain the parallels between these quotes and the Habs situation.This simple man needs more clarity(you can't really take a voyage in a car).Good day to you!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts from Montreal #2 (Hypocrisy) : Going around in circles here.Lemieux and the Habs had many an opportunity to start on a metaphorical journey to stamp out dirty play,well before they found themselves with their own problems.At best,it smacks of insincerity.Feel free to better explain the parallels between these quotes and the Habs situation.This simple man needs more clarity(you can't really take a voyage in a car).Good day to you!
    Posted by dezaruchi

Par icitte, on voyage en char !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts from Montreal #2 (Hypocrisy) : Par icitte, on voyage en char !
    Posted by Wedgy-Dunlop

Au revoir.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts from Montreal #2 (Hypocrisy) : Au revoir.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Salut, mec !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

W-D,nothing better to do eh? as i stated a couple days ago...here to start trouble- to which you replied "i'm here to talk hockey"- reviewing your original post leads me to believe this is not your intention, nor ever was. so i ask you again, WHY ARE YOU HERE? to convert us to hab fans or start trouble...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Don't get Wedgy going , he might post another Hitler video.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

W-D,nothing better to do eh? as i stated a couple days ago...here to start trouble- to which you replied "i'm here to talk hockey"- reviewing your original post leads me to believe this is not your intention, nor ever was. so i ask you again, WHY ARE YOU HERE? to convert us to hab fans or start trouble...
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Talking hockey with rivals is a lot more fun, why ask ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS!  WHY EVEN ENGAGE WITH HIM!  PUT HIM ON IGNORE AND BE DONE WITH HIM!  YOURE AS BAD AS HE IS!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Glad you admit there is some serious hypocrisy coming from the habs fans...

In Response to Thoughts from Montreal #2 (Hypocrisy):
    Hi again, I've been a little surprised with how much emphasis has been put on hypocrisy throughout discussions over this board and throughout the sports media in general.  I have to admit that I haven't been used to such reactions over the issue of hypocrisy, especially not to the point of dismissing others actions or words over such a simple and basically human issue as hypocrisy.  I mean, if we stopped listening wherever we see hypocrisy, we'd be stuck not even listening to our own selves, no ?  I thought I must either be dumb for not seeing how much of a problem hypocrisy is, or, I'm a bit self conscious of my own hypocrisy and accepting, to a certain point, of other's own hypocrisy... (I know you'll reply "you're dumb", but anyway...). I've been reading a few things on hypocrisy this afternoon... Here's an interesting statement I fell uppon... (1) Hypocrisy is not simply failing to practice those virtues that one preaches. Samuel Johnson made this point when he wrote about the misuse of the charge of "hypocrisy" in Rambler No. 14 : Nothing is more unjust, however common, than to charge with hypocrisy him that expresses zeal for those virtues which he neglects to practice; since he may be sincerely convinced of the advantages of conquering his passions, without having yet obtained the victory, as a man may be confident of the advantages of a voyage, or a journey, without having courage or industry to undertake it, and may honestly recommend to others, those attempts which he neglects himself.
    Posted by Wedgy-Dunlop

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I might be a little late to the party but I don't remember the Canadians wanting Gill arrested on this hit after he led Jon Sim into the turnbuckle. But I could be wrong and Canadians aren't hypocrites

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20092010,2,149&event=MTL476

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I might be a little late to the party but I don't remember the Canadians wanting Gill arrested on this hit after he led Jon Sim into the turnbuckle. But I could be wrong and Canadians aren't hypocrites http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20092010,2,149&event=MTL476
    Posted by PatsEng

That's just one of many examples of Habs hypocrisy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

@PatsEng - Yup, smacks of hypocrisy.

Real Habs fans probably don't press the issue of a Chara lawsuit but I see and hear many so-called Habs fans (=casual fans) perpetuating the misconception that the hit was more than just an interference penalty that had a terrible outcome. Oooops, 'real Hab fans' is an oxymoron.

Sections
Shortcuts