Thoughts from Montreal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

Thoughts from Montreal

Hey Bruins Fans,

Reading the B-Globe regularly, I thought I'd drop a word or two in this blog. 

I understand your comments.  Some ppl are "over reacting" to Chara's hit on Pacio.  What I call "over reacting" is writing stuff like threats to injuries and hate messages. 

You guys may want to take a quick look at this article : "As police probe looms, opinion sours on Zdeno Chara hit - Greg Wyshynski, from Yahoo.com"  It's a pretty good update on the whole situation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/As-police-probe-looms-opinion-sours-on-Zdeno-Ch;_ylt=AsOYmKML4F0vNKc_gKbVEVk5nYcB?urn=nhl-wp27

My opinion on the incident comes down to the fact that someone has to do something about the fact that a man can, without any consequences, hit another man in such a way that the victim could be killed or severely injured.  The NHL didn't do anything about the hit and, most importantly, the NHL didn't do anything to protect their players from future injury.  Worst still, the fact that they didn't do anything about it puts a lot of ppl at risk, including you and me, 'cause there'll always be some fans out there, whether they're from Montreal, Boston or whatever, who'll grab the opportunity to take care of justice themselves when something like that goes unpunished.  It might happen on the ice... and we have no players who can fight Chara... so what do you think will happen if, for some reason, someone on our team decides to do something about it ?  Headshot ?  Dirty hits ? 

If the NHL took care of their responsabilities, there wouldn't be any outsiders (fans, police, government, Air Canada...) trying to fix what I would call a major problem.  And it's not only a problem for Habs fans... you guys have a worst recent history than ours (Bergeron, Savard...). 

Choosing not to do anything about it can only lead to a tragedy, and that tragedy could end up being on your team, just like ours.  Might be Seguin... might be Price... who knows.

I know we tend to get emotional.  But I like the idea of ppl who stand up of for their ppl.  Americans know something about that, I'm sure.  The Habs are important down here, and we've got loud ppl and big mouths.  And what's going on down here could be of benefit to the Bruins as well.  The problem is not Chara... the problem is that Chara could do what he did, whether or not there was intent to injure... You guys are a few inches from the Stanley cup... and Marc Savard might have had that one goal that could have made the difference. 

If it took an incident in Montreal to create enough turmoil to change the NHL in a better way... than give Montreal a chance to make a difference.  You guys had the opportunity to stick up for your players in such a way that could have made a difference.  You didn't.  Let us try now. 

A hockey fan..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: Thoughts from Montreal

Just disgusting you (not all of you though) habs fans are completely in your own bubble and oblivious.

What about Savard, Bergeron, Crosby? Huh where was your outcry then?

You do realize people can be killed by any contact in hockey right? These guys are paid large sums of money to accept this risk. So now because Patches(as you call him) a Hab is at the recieving end of this everybody should drop everything and change should happen now?

Main point is, and the NHL Commish and Disciplinarian agree with. Chara was making a hockey play, defensemen use the turnbuck all of the time to deter the forward from doing exactly what Max did. He coudlve done many other things than try and slide by chara thier. Any other part of the ice and he would be fine.

So how does punishing Chara prevent this from happening again in the future? It doesnt. If you want to change something get rid of the stupid stanchion in your home arena that caused this to happen in the first place.

It was a hockey play, live with it. We recieved no relief when Cooke commited a worse infraction we didnt open a criminal investigation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Sounds like you are a frustrated journalist. There is no reason for civil authorities to be involved in any sport, like the NHL , that has a built in penalty/prosecutorial capability. Off the ice, and outside the arena civil authorities have total responsibility.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

What happened was a horrible accident. The Montreal players have made it worse by saying that it was intentional thereby inciting the fans. Most of the unbiased fans and analysts think that it was accidental but yet all the Montreal fans and Pacioretty - who doesn't even remember the hit - think it was intentional.

If someone takes a run at Seguin, Krejic or another one of our skill players (I think we have a couple more that can't fight), then I feel bad for the player that grabbed the short straw since that player is going to get charged and beaten by half of the Bs team. 

Retribution in the form of fighting - ok. Retribution in the form of a cheap shot or knee on knee will not be tolerated by the league or the Bruins. 

If I were the Habs, I'd let it go and focus on the playoffs. Going for dirty play to counter an accident will cause that person to be suspended for a while (premeditation). 

Unless you get rid of that stanchion it will happen again since it's hard to play differently in that 4 feet near the benches. 

Talk some sense into Habs fans who think Chara intentionally did it. Chara intentionally pulls back on checks so he doesn't hurt the other player.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

And if you want to talk about dirty dangerous plays, here's 2 of your very own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plsD3deR6TU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-onQTLSRBXQ

Didn't hear an outcry then. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

If I knew this was gonna be a long story, I wouldn't have clicked

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from palealeman. Show palealeman's posts

great rebuttle,love hockey, let me add this,this is a mans sport, and ingerys happen acceidents or not . hope max makes a full recovery.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Above the rhetoric I think former Canadien's coach Jean Perron made an excellent point on the NHL network.  TTE "Sooner or later the NHL [and I think  the NFL] needs to take a stand that whether intentional or unintentional a hit which leads to a severe injury should be disclipined with a suspension." 

It takes the guess work out if it's Chara, Cook, ummm Nylan in the old day. There's a supension.  I think a natural continuation is if there is more than one incident a greater suspension results.  The threat of suspension is a natural deterant no matter what wiggle room exists within the current rules eg Cook's hits on Savard.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts from Montreal:
    Just disgusting you (not all of you though) habs fans are completely in your own bubble and oblivious. What about Savard, Bergeron, Crosby? Huh where was your outcry then? You do realize people can be killed by any contact in hockey right? These guys are paid large sums of money to accept this risk. So now because Patches(as you call him) a Hab is at the recieving end of this everybody should drop everything and change should happen now? Main point is, and the NHL Commish and Disciplinarian agree with. Chara was making a hockey play, defensemen use the turnbuck all of the time to deter the forward from doing exactly what Max did. He coudlve done many other things than try and slide by chara thier. Any other part of the ice and he would be fine. So how does punishing Chara prevent this from happening again in the future? It doesnt. If you want to change something get rid of the stupid stanchion in your home arena that caused this to happen in the first place. It was a hockey play, live with it. We recieved no relief when Cooke commited a worse infraction we didnt open a criminal investigation.

With all due respect, outcries usually start when things happen in your own backyard.  I think it's pretty normal. I mean, war on terrorism wasn't started for events that took place in China. 

And yes, I think it should change now.  Why would you want to wait ?  What do you suggest ?  Should ppl from Florida take care of that matter ?  Should Montreal have done something about the Cooke-Savard incident ?  Maybe we should have... But my bet on that is that things will change when a bunch of emotionnal ppl do something.  That's usually how things are brought to change, and history was built on personnal emotional blocks... not cold headed thinking intellectuals. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Dont even compare this to Cooke-Savard. Sure in both cases the injuries were severe.

Cooke lined up Savard with an elbow from 30ft away and followed through right to the chin of Marc. Packs was trying to shift by chara who pinched him off along the boards, thats an actual hockey play.

Im actually a big supporter of cleaner hockey. I was the first bruin fan in the pub I was at to condemn the Paille hit. I think it would be a great thing to eliminate headshots. This however wasnt a headshot and the overreaction in MTL is deafening to everyone else. There is actually criminal charges being filed, Surely you do not agree with that?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

And if you want to talk about dirty dangerous plays, here's 2 of your very own. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plsD3deR6TU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-onQTLSRBXQ Didn't hear an outcry then. 
    Posted by nrguy

You're right.  We probably should wait for the agressor's teammates or organization to do something about this problem.  Hell, we probably should hope that the agressor's mom does something about it. 

Come on guys... be serious about this... Who do you expect, other than the receiving end, to do anything about this problem ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

With all due respect, the folks in Montreal seem totally out of hand to this level-headed resident of Colorado.  I have never seen such self-serving rhetoric and whineing over something that has been happening in hockey for decades.  Do you have any idea how many players have been checked into the turnbuckle by the bench?  It happens all the time.  Jack Johnson ended Ryan Smyth's season that way a little while back.  No suspension there either.  No outcry from Montreal.

Do you know how many players have been hurt by dirty checks in hockey?  And how many have been delivered by Montreal over the years?  But all of the sudden, because it happens to your player, against your rival, it is now criminal?

Insane.  It seems like the egotistical whineing of a bunch of spoiled brats to me.

And I wish nothing but the best for Pacioretti in his receovery.  I truly feel bad for him.  It's a shame that the reaction from Montreal has made this situation such a complete embarrassment for everyone in hockey.  It's a shame that Air Canada thinks that they should have a say in how the league is run, based on hometown preferences.  Grow up Montreal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

It seems like the egotistical whineing of a bunch of spoiled brats to me

.Posted by Fletcher1

Bing bing bing.. Winnnah!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

sorry Wedgy but just stop watching hockey in your case till the NHL figures out a way to either remove hitting all together or they build boards made out of foam.
    Watch tonight how many interfence calls there are on the NHL schedule.
    That's what it was !
    Till then see you later.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

www.boston.com/community/moms/gallery/shocking_parenting_comments/?p1=Upbox_links" class="imageLink">So rude you want to scream

Air Canada is pulling out!!!

Warrants issued for Chara and Lucic!!

Goals against the Canadiens are outlawed!!!!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

What Rask problem?

He was 4-0, 1.75 GA the 4 games before Montreal.

He went to Montreal and gave up 2 less goals than his superstar counterpart did at home against the same team.

He wasnt great. He wasnt terrible. He was part of an entire roster who didnt play well.  If he got a shutout, he would have won 1-0.

So, outside of overreacting to the last game... what Rask problem?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

You are right, something must be done, and Montreal can easily do it.  There is no need for there to be a stanchion there, in a place that can cause serious injury on what would otherwise be a routine play.  I fully expect it to be removed by the end of the week.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

We all know it happened to a bunch of players before.  But that's a pretty weak argument for not taking any actions. 

As for the implication of our legal system, no one pressed charges.  They're investigating to see whether or not charges should be pressed, and against who... It will probably end up with no legal actions being taken.  There are two reasons for this... 1) calms ppl down, 2) protect the citizens.

You guys are right about the fact that the police shouldn't have to interfere with the NHL.  They shouldn't have to.  But the fact that they feel that they should calls for serious questions about the ability of the NHL to take care of their ppl.  The rink is not out of the border and is still subject to the law.  It's not very different from bad parenting, or any other institution... The state will intervene if it feels like the ppl under the care and responsabilities of others are in danger.  The fact that legal authorities are taking actions only reflects neglect from the NHL.

Anyways... your opinions aren't event backed up by the Globe's bloggers Mazz and Gasper...

Tanner Glass (Canucks) sums it up pretty well : "If you polled 700 NHL players, 680 would say he knows exactly what he's doing and knows the turnbuckle is there. I thought it was a dirty play. I thought he knew exactly what he was doing."

You oughta wonder which side's opinion represents the minority. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

We all know it happened to a bunch of players before.  But that's a pretty weak argument for not taking any actions.  As for the implication of our legal system, no one pressed charges.  They're investigating to see whether or not charges should be pressed, and against who... It will probably end up with no legal actions being taken.  There are two reasons for this... 1) calms ppl down, 2) protect the citizens. You guys are right about the fact that the police shouldn't have to interfere with the NHL.  They shouldn't have to.  But the fact that they feel that they should calls for serious questions about the ability of the NHL to take care of their ppl.  The rink is not out of the border and is still subject to the law.  It's not very different from bad parenting, or any other institution... The state will intervene if it feels like the ppl under the care and responsabilities of others are in danger.  The fact that legal authorities are taking actions only reflects neglect from the NHL. Anyways... your opinions aren't event backed up by the Globe's bloggers Mazz and Gasper... Tanner Glass (Canucks) sums it up pretty well : "If you polled 700 NHL players, 680 would say he knows exactly what he's doing and knows the turnbuckle is there. I thought it was a dirty play. I thought he knew exactly what he was doing." You oughta wonder which side's opinion represents the minority. 
    Posted by Wedgy-Dunlop

Yeah Tanner Glass is an authority, Rookie, he has no idea.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

FYI Mazz and Gasper don't follow the Bruins at all.  They throw in an article about twice a year.

Here is this:

Bettman said he has heard from a number of executives at NHL clubs and the feedback "almost to a person" has confirmed the right decision was made to not fine or suspend Chara.

So which side is minority?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

We all know it happened to a bunch of players before.  But that's a pretty weak argument for not taking any actions.  As for the implication of our legal system, no one pressed charges.  They're investigating to see whether or not charges should be pressed, and against who... It will probably end up with no legal actions being taken.  There are two reasons for this... 1) calms ppl down, 2) protect the citizens. You guys are right about the fact that the police shouldn't have to interfere with the NHL.  They shouldn't have to.  But the fact that they feel that they should calls for serious questions about the ability of the NHL to take care of their ppl.  The rink is not out of the border and is still subject to the law.  It's not very different from bad parenting, or any other institution... The state will intervene if it feels like the ppl under the care and responsabilities of others are in danger.  The fact that legal authorities are taking actions only reflects neglect from the NHL. Anyways... your opinions aren't event backed up by the Globe's bloggers Mazz and Gasper... Tanner Glass (Canucks) sums it up pretty well : "If you polled 700 NHL players, 680 would say he knows exactly what he's doing and knows the turnbuckle is there. I thought it was a dirty play. I thought he knew exactly what he was doing." You oughta wonder which side's opinion represents the minority. 
    Posted by Wedgy-Dunlop

I've heard many many players already totally dispute what Glass said, several on the Canadiens.  But we all know you guys have a little narcissism up there in Montreal like to think it is all about you (it's suddenly a problem because a Hab got hurt...).  So, let your little pity party carry on and keep embarassing yourselves, while we watch Chara play hockey, tonight. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

From my narcissistic standpoint... One has to wonder why you guys can't have any other reading on Montreal's actions than the "whinning hypothesis". 

I guess "inaction" has become some kind of virtue in the world you live in.  What are you guys doing that conforts you in what you consider "psychological superiority" ? 

What mental age do you give to ppl who consider themselves too weak to stand up for each other ?  At what mental age do you blindly trust authority figures ?  I think winning is a few years ahead of your lack of actions. 

Your judgment is hasty... And while criticizing others, you haven't put much thoughts in your own inertia and what your inactivity is promoting.  Doing nothing carries just as much consequences as whinning... but being too preoccupied with what others would say of your whinning, you sit down and laugh at whinners, not even realizing that what you're actually doing is taking side on the road that will eventually lead to a player's death.

But that doesn't really seem to matter to you.  Losing your time and taking pride in separating the whinners from the non-whinners, you don't measure where your "whinners-finger-pointing" is leading you.  Where are you leading yourselves ?

I rather take the risk of being called a whinner by promoters of silence, than blindingly take part of your whinners identification process where the highest hope of accomplishment is limited to the number of whinners you've identified.

Call that an "all about us" thing... If you find it useful, do it... I just don't see what's so great about your position that should lead us, whinners, to be tempted to follow in your footsteps. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tarpouch. Show tarpouch's posts

In Response to Thoughts from Montreal:
    Hey Bruins Fans, Reading the B-Globe regularly, I thought I'd drop a word or two in this blog.  I understand your comments.  Some ppl are "over reacting" to Chara's hit on Pacio.  What I call "over reacting" is writing stuff like threats to injuries and hate messages.  You guys may want to take a quick look at this article : "As police probe looms, opinion sours on Zdeno Chara hit - Greg Wyshynski, from Yahoo.com"  It's a pretty good update on the whole situation. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/As-police-probe-looms-opinion-sours-on-Zdeno-Ch;_ylt=AsOYmKML4F0vNKc_gKbVEVk5nYcB?urn=nhl-wp27 My opinion on the incident comes down to the fact that someone has to do something about the fact that a man can, without any consequences, hit another man in such a way that the victim could be killed or severely injured.  The NHL didn't do anything about the hit and, most importantly, the NHL didn't do anything to protect their players from future injury.  Worst still, the fact that they didn't do anything about it puts a lot of ppl at risk, including you and me, 'cause there'll always be some fans out there, whether they're from Montreal, Boston or whatever, who'll grab the opportunity to take care of justice themselves when something like that goes unpunished.  It might happen on the ice... and we have no players who can fight Chara... so what do you think will happen if, for some reason, someone on our team decides to do something about it ?  Headshot ?  Dirty hits ?  If the NHL took care of their responsabilities, there wouldn't be any outsiders (fans, police, government, Air Canada...) trying to fix what I would call a major problem.  And it's not only a problem for Habs fans... you guys have a worst recent history than ours (Bergeron, Savard...).  Choosing not to do anything about it can only lead to a tragedy, and that tragedy could end up being on your team, just like ours.  Might be Seguin... might be Price... who knows. I know we tend to get emotional.  But I like the idea of ppl who stand up of for their ppl.  Americans know something about that, I'm sure.  The Habs are important down here, and we've got loud ppl and big mouths.  And what's going on down here could be of benefit to the Bruins as well.  The problem is not Chara... the problem is that Chara could do what he did, whether or not there was intent to injure... You guys are a few inches from the Stanley cup... and Marc Savard might have had that one goal that could have made the difference.  If it took an incident in Montreal to create enough turmoil to change the NHL in a better way... than give Montreal a chance to make a difference.  You guys had the opportunity to stick up for your players in such a way that could have made a difference.  You didn't.  Let us try now.  A hockey fan..
    Posted by Wedgy-Dunlop

almost thought you were sincere until your last line you arrogant frog. WE SUPER MONTREAL FANS WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE. YOU LOWLY BRUINS FANS DID NOTHING AFTER THE SAVARD HIT. Just shut the HELL UP. These players know what they signed up for. Its a dangerous sport that there paid alot of money to play.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedgy-Dunlop. Show Wedgy-Dunlop's posts

In Response to Thoughts from Montreal : almost thought you were sincere until your last line you arrogant frog. WE SUPER MONTREAL FANS WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE. YOU LOWLY BRUINS FANS DID NOTHING AFTER THE SAVARD HIT. Just shut the HELL UP. These players know what they signed up for. Its a dangerous sport that there paid alot of money to play.
    Posted by tarpouch

I didn't mean to be arrogant.  I didn't say "you lowly Bruins fans did nothing after the Savard hit..."  I said what you did didn't make a difference.  It's a fact, not an accusation.  I didn't say "we super Montreal fans will make a difference", I asked you to let us try. 

And I don't think players sign for unnecessary concussions... come on, man... seriously...

Sections
Shortcuts